Author Topic: Did Portnoy make a mistake leaving?  (Read 19528 times)

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
Did Portnoy make a mistake leaving?
« on: January 17, 2011, 10:56:01 PM »
Here's why.

Bosky, hear me out. This isn't a trollfest.

I've been sneaking around MP's forum, and it's becoming obvious to me he made a bad decision. Long story short, read here: https://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/tm.aspx?high=&m=2615272&mpage=3#2626377.

I think he regrets his decision, although he won't admit it.

Did he make a mistake leaving?

Edit - Edit's all over the place.
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
Re: Did Portnoy make a mistake?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 10:57:52 PM »
Willis, I demand that you elaborate on your recent comment.
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline LTE777

Re: Did Portnoy make a mistake leaving?
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 11:01:31 PM »
Of course he did and he knows it.  But the band chose to move on and he has treated himself post-"meltdown", IMO, quite well and seems to be ready to go with his projects!

I think Mike finally has found the fun/spark again and seems happier and I think DT want to see where their new drummer might take them.

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 11:04:05 PM »
AT first? Most definitely. In fact he might still. But if you read on and see the rest of his updates, he's obviously excited. He's happy, the creative juices are flowing. He's got his inspiration.

I'd say why he may not view it as his best decision, I'm sure he's at peace with it. All's well that ends well, eh?

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 11:10:19 PM »

Where did you that implication from that post? By scrambling the letters around?

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 11:12:54 PM »
I'm not sure why this is even a thread.

Did MP regret leaving DT?

Yes.

How do we know?

He tried to come back.

Case closed.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 11:19:38 PM »
What Adami said.

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 11:29:38 PM »
I'm not sure why this is even a thread.

Did MP regret leaving DT?

Yes.

How do we know?

He tried to come back.

Case closed.

This.

Plus, he seems really happy to be at work on a whole new project, free of the Dream Theater name and all the expectations that come with it, which was basically what set all this in motion to begin with.  Now he can start on something completely fresh.  I'm sure leaving DT was a very difficult decision for him, and he obviously second-guessed his decision when he tried to get back in, but now that he's out for good, he has no choice but to move forward, and based on his enthusiasm for this new project, it seems like his initial decision to part ways with DT has been validated.  Good for him, here's hoping Portnoy's new band will kick much ass.   :metal  

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 11:30:02 PM »

Where did you that implication from that post? By scrambling the letters around?

Yeah, I was wondering that myself...sounds to me like he's excited to start drumming on a new project. And why shouldn't he? All the best to him!

EDIT: Ninja'd by a very similar post.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 11:34:53 PM »
Ninja'd by a very similar post.

Ninja'd!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 01:38:07 AM by The Dark Master »

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 01:45:53 AM »
Adami, the OP didn't ask whether MP regrets the decision. He obviously does because his relationships with the other members have soured to the point that he asked to come back even though he didn't really want to.

But the question was did he make the right decisions, to which the answer is absolutely yes. His heart wasn't in it and he found things getting stale, so if he had stayed we would have had a DT lacking any drive or determination. Whereas now the band are pushing forward excitedly, and Mike is getting involved in some really great sounding projects and getting to spend a lot of time with his good friend Neal Morse who he really connects with on many levels. So yes, definitely the right decision.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 02:22:11 AM »
I think Portnoy made a mistake sure.  But I think its for the greater good for all involved.  Fate is good.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 03:32:49 AM »
I don't give a hoot!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 04:29:17 AM »
Adami, the OP didn't ask whether MP regrets the decision. He obviously does because his relationships with the other members have soured to the point that he asked to come back even though he didn't really want to.

But the question was did he make the right decisions, to which the answer is absolutely yes. His heart wasn't in it and he found things getting stale, so if he had stayed we would have had a DT lacking any drive or determination. Whereas now the band are pushing forward excitedly, and Mike is getting involved in some really great sounding projects and getting to spend a lot of time with his good friend Neal Morse who he really connects with on many levels. So yes, definitely the right decision.

In that sense, it's still too early to tell. I don't think anything Mike does from now on will ever have quite the same impact on the music world as what he would have done in Dream Theater. From now on, whether he likes it or not, he is on the decline. Whereas if the trajectory Dream Theater have been on for the last couple of album cycles continues, soon they will reach their zenith in terms of popularity-- and that incarnation of Dream Theater will not include Mike Portnoy. I do wonder how Mike will cope with that. Time will only tell. And, by that time, I think only Mike will know the real answer as to whether he's made the wrong move or not.

Of course, as you mentioned the upside is that lots of good can come out of making a mistake. Many artists best works are the ones that they weren't most renown for. What Mike does in the future really won't be more well-known than anything he's done with Dream Theater; but that's not to say that it won't or can't be better.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 04:34:47 AM by Perpetual Change »

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 04:34:36 AM »
eih.. I might be a little behind there but why is Mike working on something right now? I thought the whole problem with DT was because he wanted to take a year off..
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2011, 04:38:05 AM »
eih.. I might be a little behind there but why is Mike working on something right now? I thought the whole problem with DT was because he wanted to take a year off..

This is a pretty common misunderstanding of what's going on. Mike only wanted a break from Dream Theater, not necessarily his other projects.

Basically, it goes like this:

1.) Mike spent the spring touring with Hail and Transatlantic and summer touring with Avenged Sevenfold
2.) Mike had an awesome time touring with those guys.
3.) Mike realized that the level of socialization he has with the Dream Theater guys is nowhere near on the level of what he was experiencing with his other projects.
4.) Mike decided it was time to give his baby DT a rest. The other guys didn't agree, and so they parted ways.
5.) Mike tried to come back later, but the guys in DT said no as they already offered the new guy a job

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2011, 04:41:40 AM »
I see, thanks for the clarification.
It just occurred to me that it's a good think an Axl Rose situation didn't happen there where a conflict between the band and a founding member would enable that member of keep the band name after they split, although MP is not the asshole Axl was.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2011, 04:48:07 AM »
Here's why.

Bosky, hear me out. This isn't a trollfest.

I've been sneaking around MP's forum, and it's becoming obvious to me he made a bad decision. Long story short, read here: https://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/tm.aspx?high=&m=2615272&mpage=3#2626377.

Did he make a mistake leaving?

Edit - Edit's all over the place.
Where do you get that from that particular thread?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2011, 11:46:00 AM »
The only drummer I can think of that went on to bigger, if not better things was Phil Collins (oh and Justin Bieber) so he's probably made a mistake in financial terms, but if he's happier that means much more. Depends on your definition of a mistake I guess.

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2011, 11:47:32 AM »
he sounds excited here, but I can't imagine any of them not being sad.  I certainly am.  but as I will learn to move on and make the best of it, it sounds like they all are as well

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2011, 11:52:53 AM »
He's definitely regretted his decision, especially since his departure wasn't really intended initially.
Was it a mistake? Not sure. He's had a long run with DT and they needed to shake their foundations anyway to get rid of the mold.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Hal Incandenza

• AAAAAAAARGH!!!
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2011, 12:14:13 PM »
Ask him in a couple of years and you'll get a worthwhile answer with some perspective behind it.

Offline Voyage 34

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2011, 01:13:03 PM »
Does he regret it? I think so. If he didn't why would he have tried to rejoin? Was it a mistake? Only time will tell, but I don't think so. This is an opportunity for both MP and DT to grow and do different things.
"Thank you god...for making me an atheist."
                                                --Ricky Gervais

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2011, 01:50:53 PM »
He's definitely regretting the decision. Or was regretting it before the hoidays. Not sure what his current mindset is. In terms of his long term financial future, yes leaving was probably a mistake. But as far as a personal or creative decision, only time will tell.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2011, 01:59:55 PM »
Was it a mistake? There really is no way to decide that, at least now. Even down the road we may see MP's career go in the shitter (unlikely), but MP may not see it that way. For all we know, leaving could have been the exact opposite of a mistake. 

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2011, 03:12:56 PM »
Was it a mistake? There really is no way to decide that, at least now. Even down the road we may see MP's career go in the shitter (unlikely), but MP may not see it that way. For all we know, leaving could have been the exact opposite of a mistake. 

I agree it's unlikely that his career goes in the shitter but he will never achieve as much as he achieved with DT.h.

Offline plap11

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2011, 11:15:54 PM »
no duh it was a mistake and he knows it too. he said he would like to rejoin DT to keep his relationships with the members or something like that.
The truth is the truth, so all you can do is live with it.

-repentance

Offline rmp0012002

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2011, 07:19:18 PM »
It was a mistake on his part but I think it relieved the other members. I think the other members were tired of constantly being told by Mike that he was the boss and everything was going to be done his way. He just alienated member after member.

Offline Voyage 34

« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2011, 08:31:09 PM »
I know I heard years ago that DT had said that if anyone left the band (the MP, JP, JM, JLB, JR lineup) that DT would break up. But then there goes MP, and the rest of the band carries on, so maybe they were relieved. They evidently didn't miss him enough to give him his old job back when he asked.
"Thank you god...for making me an atheist."
                                                --Ricky Gervais

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2011, 02:12:13 PM »
Ultimately, yes he did. He absolutely knows it as well.

Mike gambled...and lost. He gambled that the band would do what he wanted, and that he was irreplaceable. Whoops!   :lol

What Mike should have done was decide on his own that he wanted to just play drums for the next record and tour cycle and force himself to disconnect from the many hats he took on, and asked his former bandmates to take them on. In essence, mentally get to a place where he could concentrate on playing some killer drums, and just being a drummer for awhile until he found himself in a good headspace again.

The guy lost his father and best friend, and then during the grief process for that, had Dream Theater looking to make a new record, and then dealt with more grief by witnessing the guys from A7X deal with it. That's a lot on the head of Mr. Portnoy. But he expected Dream Theater to just do what HE wanted, or at least partially do what he wanted...and they did. They took a break. They set a date to get back in the studio, and his bandmates wanted him to continue.

Instead of doing it, and coping with what he was going through by disconnecting from certain aspects for a bit and just doing the record, he made it all dramatic (insert well debated and gone over details here).

Then he blows it with A7X (again, insert details and debate here), and finds himself grasping back at DT, at which point, they have moved on (and frankly, rightfully should have, considering MP made DT second potatoes in my opinion, whereas the rest of the guys knew not to bite the hand that feeds).

But my personal view on that aside, absolutely Mike knows he made a mistake. But at this point, all he can do is move on, immerse himself in projects, try and get himself a revenue stream that can continue to support his family in a manner they are accustomed to being in, and go with the flow.

Mike will ultimately land on his feet. But he (and I think the majority of folks looking at the situation objectively) know that he made a big mistake. We'll see him on stage playing Metropolis for the 30th Anniversary gig, I'm sure of it. But I highly doubt he'll ever be back in the band. They've moved on, and frankly, so should Mike. He's one of the most talented drummers out there. Opportunity awaits. He just needs to seize the day...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Mladen

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2011, 02:27:07 PM »
This Samsära guy doesn't post too much, but he's pretty much always right.  :tup

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2011, 02:30:48 PM »
No. He felt he wanted a break from all that mess, the others said no, so what else you gonna do. He made a mistake of taking a break and thinking the others would follow, plus he didn't have to make all those choices, he could've just asked the others if they want to take over those things that are stressing him. 
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2011, 02:34:33 PM »
This Samsära guy doesn't post too much, but he's pretty much always right.  :tup
:facepalm:

Nothing he doesn't already know! :D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol