Author Topic: Did Portnoy make a mistake leaving?  (Read 19556 times)

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: Did Portnoy make a mistake leaving?
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2011, 02:38:27 PM »
didn't see samsara's post...he pretty much said it all. Now we all just have to play the waiting game.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Mladen

« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2011, 02:39:33 PM »
He quoted me in his signature, he obviously likes being appreciated.  :lol

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2011, 03:10:14 PM »
From now on, whether he likes it or not, he is on the decline.

I don't see how that's a given.  For all we know, breaking from DT and being "just a drummer" for a while rather than spokesman, producer, arranger, and all that, is just what he needed.  He's worked with Neal and them before, but never with Avenged Sevenfold, and the Mike who returned to DT may have been quite different from the Mike on the last album and tour.  Okay, that didn't happen and instead he moved on, but during the month or so of second-guessing and soul-searching, he may well have come into the mental attitude that enables him to reach even greater heights than before.

The project with the Dregs guys, Neal's next album, or any future project, could blow us away and have us thinking "Holy shit, that's Portnoy?!"  Someday people might look at the amazing career of Mike Portnoy and how he got his start with that progmetal band Drum Theatre or something, but once he left them, things really starting clicking.

Personally, I'd really be surprised if that happened, but I don't like absolutes.  I really believe that people can change and that somebody, anybody, can put out an album that really surprises me, because it's happened a few times.

Oh yeah, did he make a mistake?  No.  A "mistake" is when you do something "wrong" and in music there is no right or wrong.  There's the music you make today, the music you made in the past, and the music you will make in the future.  He left DT.  It was his choice.  It may have been a hasty or not completely thought out decision, but it was his to make and he made it.  As I said, for all we know, he could go on to make some astounding music that never would have happened if he'd stayed with DT.

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
  • I like big biquads and I cannot lie.
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2011, 04:55:22 PM »

I don't see how that's a given.  For all we know, breaking from DT and being "just a drummer" for a while rather than spokesman, producer, arranger, and all that, is just what he needed.  He's worked with Neal and them before, but never with Avenged Sevenfold, and the Mike who returned to DT may have been quite different from the Mike on the last album and tour.  Okay, that didn't happen and instead he moved on, but during the month or so of second-guessing and soul-searching, he may well have come into the mental attitude that enables him to reach even greater heights than before.

The project with the Dregs guys, Neal's next album, or any future project, could blow us away and have us thinking "Holy shit, that's Portnoy?!"  Someday people might look at the amazing career of Mike Portnoy and how he got his start with that progmetal band Drum Theatre or something, but once he left them, things really starting clicking.

Personally, I'd really be surprised if that happened, but I don't like absolutes.  I really believe that people can change and that somebody, anybody, can put out an album that really surprises me, because it's happened a few times.

Oh yeah, did he make a mistake?  No.  A "mistake" is when you do something "wrong" and in music there is no right or wrong.  There's the music you make today, the music you made in the past, and the music you will make in the future.  He left DT.  It was his choice.  It may have been a hasty or not completely thought out decision, but it was his to make and he made it.  As I said, for all we know, he could go on to make some astounding music that never would have happened if he'd stayed with DT.

MP is the new Phil Collins. Just watch.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2011, 05:07:25 PM »
Does MP play anything but drums actually?

EDIT: Actually, he played guitar on Nightmare Cinema, right?

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2011, 05:13:59 PM »
Does MP play anything but drums actually?

EDIT: Actually, he played guitar on Nightmare Cinema, right?

rumborak

Bass I think. Transatlantic do a similar instrument-swapping thing sometimes and he plays bass then.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2011, 05:21:18 PM »
He quoted me in his signature, he obviously likes being appreciated.  :lol

It was too good not to use in my sig.  lol.

On a serious note, thank you for the compliment on my post. :)
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Voyage 34

« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2011, 06:14:53 PM »
(and frankly, rightfully should have, considering MP made DT second potatoes in my opinion, whereas the rest of the guys knew not to bite the hand that feeds).

This is what irritated me the most about MP leaving. I thought it was a little too presumptuous to ask the other guys to take a break from their main source of income.
"Thank you god...for making me an atheist."
                                                --Ricky Gervais

Offline MetropolisxPt1

« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2011, 08:27:45 PM »
he will be back for dt 12 bet ur life on it

Offline j

« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2011, 08:30:48 PM »

Excellent post.

-J

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2011, 09:26:01 PM »
Ask him in a couple of years and you'll get a worthwhile answer with some perspective behind it.

best answer thus far.
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline 54_diplomats

« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2011, 07:34:14 PM »
Definitely wasn't a mistake, but I hope he comes back soon..

Offline Ħ

« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2011, 07:39:20 PM »
Yeah, I think so.  DT won't be the same without him.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2011, 07:53:30 PM »
I highly doubt it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2011, 08:27:47 PM »
I don't give a hoot!
but don't pollute.

:tick2:

says Woodsy the Owl.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2011, 08:30:13 PM »

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2011, 08:44:49 PM »
I highly doubt it.

+1

Although, I think while we both doubt it, we both kinda wish it.

There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2011, 08:48:23 PM »
I don't wish it.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2011, 09:28:50 PM »
Do you think Portnoy knows who the new drummer is, or is he in the dark just like the rest of us?

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2011, 09:43:58 PM »
He made a mistake for himself, but not for the rest of us, in my opinion. 
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2011, 12:10:30 AM »
Do you think Portnoy knows who the new drummer is, or is he in the dark just like the rest of us?

I've wondered that myself. If it is a legal thing holding DT up, I could definitely see him knowing.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2011, 03:44:20 AM »
Yeah, I suppose MP could have been told who the new drummer is through
settlement negotiations. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2011, 05:09:55 AM »
I highly doubt it.

+1

Although, I think while we both doubt it, we both kinda wish it.
I certainly don't.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2011, 06:46:34 AM »
I'm sure he started to regret his decision after his time with A7X ended. Who'd try to rejoin their former band if they didn't regret their departure? But I guess he'll get over it after some time.

Offline bloop

• The opadismo
  • Mobilizing to contribute to the alliance
« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2011, 08:40:42 AM »
I'd rather not.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2011, 03:45:13 PM »
So, I just went over to mp.com to see the thread about SDV, but I kinda stopped at the front page, because (I didn't realize) the current incarnation of the opening text is "MP is a founding member and drummer of Dream Theater". Now, I know one could interpret that sentence as "a founding member + a drummer of", but it just strikes me as absolutely bizarre that he would make no direct mention of that he is a former drummer of that band.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2011, 04:37:01 PM »
Rumbo, he changed that weeks ago. It originally listed him as "ex drummer", then he switched it back to "Drummer", even capitalizing the word "Drummer".
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2011, 04:57:10 PM »
Yeah, there was much controversy when that happened, as there seems to be whenever Mike does anything these days.  What does it mean?  What was he trying to say?  Was he trying to imply that is still the drummer, or even the Drummer?  It was a dark and turbulent time.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2011, 05:59:53 PM »
Did MP make a mistake leaving DT? Yes.

Is DT better off because MP left? Yes.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Miyazaki74

« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2011, 06:28:12 PM »
It amazes me that many people on here think that Mike leaving is the best thing for DT. I'm sorry but MP is DT. No one in DT has Mike's charisma. He was the captain of that ship and without him the ship is gonna sink. Whatever popularity and mainstream success they have is because of his hard work and labor he did for that band, both in and outside the studio.  I think a lot of people are forgetting what Mike really meant to DT and the access he gave to their fans. DT will suffer without him. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2011, 06:33:20 PM »
It amazes me that many people on here think that Mike leaving is the best thing for DT. I'm sorry but MP is DT. No one in DT has Mike's charisma. He was the captain of that ship and without him the ship is gonna sink. Whatever popularity and mainstream success they have is because of his hard work and labor he did for that band, both in and outside the studio.  I think a lot of people are forgetting what Mike really meant to DT and the access he gave to their fans. DT will suffer without him. 

I wouldn't say it is the "best thing for DT," and I think there are few here who would actually go that far.  However, although Mike's hard work, commitment, and contribution to DT contributed significantly to the band's signature sound and their success, you are WAY overstating his role.  He will surely be missed by both the fans and the band members.  But I'm sure the band will continue and will be just fine without him.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline manticore999

« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2011, 06:43:01 PM »

Well, if he was captain of the ship then I'm sure the next album has to be fantastic!  The last one was horrible and the 2 before it weren't much better.  Maybe it's time for a new skipper at the helm!

Offline Miyazaki74

« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2011, 06:49:02 PM »

I wouldn't say it is the "best thing for DT," and I think there are few here who would actually go that far.  However, although Mike's hard work, commitment, and contribution to DT contributed significantly to the band's signature sound and their success, you are WAY overstating his role.  He will surely be missed by both the fans and the band members.  But I'm sure the band will continue and will be just fine without him.

I guess time will tell if I'm overstating his role or not. I hope I'm wrong by the way.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2011, 06:49:27 PM »
This idea that everything will collapse w/o MP running the show just baffles me.

It's like a controlling helicopter parent who won't let a kid do anything for themselves, then tell's the kid that they could never make it on their own.  The kid never even gets a change to demonstrate their abilities!  Of course, in this case we know that the other guys are capable, as they were more active back when the band (appeared to) have a greater balance of power.

I'm very excited to see who steps up to the plate and how they do so.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #69 on: January 24, 2011, 06:51:12 PM »
it is mostly sentimental for me...I'm sure DT will do great, and I'm sure MP will do great.  who knows, they might both even do better.  it is just hard for me because I love MP and I love DT and I prefer to see them together.  even if the album is better, it will take me a while to grow into it