Author Topic: Symbolism used by DT  (Read 13047 times)

Offline enjibenji89

Symbolism used by DT
« on: January 13, 2011, 06:55:01 AM »
After buying nearly all DT albums recently, I have noticed they use Masonic imagery a fair amount (Black Clouds front cover), the song 'Rite Of Passage' seems to be based on Freemasonry (At least what I thought). They also have the 'All Seeing Eye' on some images.

I'm not sure if there are more, this is all I have seen so far. My question is why do they actually use these images/symbols? Have they stated why?

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
Re: Symbolism used by DT
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 07:06:54 AM »
Do you have more examples next to Black Clouds?

Cause 'A rite of passage' is about the freemasons, and the front covers has theme's from every song on it.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline enjibenji89

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 07:18:34 AM »

Cause 'A rite of passage' is about the freemasons, and the front covers has theme's from every song on it.

Not with lyrics as such, more just the imagery I have seen. Rite of Passage just stood out because the first sentance caught my attention when he says New World Order.

Six Degrees has the Masonic symbol on the front cover, A Change of Seasons again has the Masonic symbol on the bucket, Systematic Chaos has same symbol on street sign, green light and in booklet. Train Of Thought has the eye on the front. Awake has Masonic symbol on front cover, Scenes from a Memory has Masonic symbol on front and booklet, as does Octavarium.

Offline inoku

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 07:26:21 AM »
those are their logo

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 07:28:02 AM »
That's not the Masonic compass, its the Majesty symbol, snaked from the Mary Queen of Scots crest.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dream_Theater#Logo_and_imagery

Offline enjibenji89

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 07:35:03 AM »
Oh god yeah. Have no idea how I linked that symbol with Freemansonry...

In that case the only symbolism linked to Freemansonry is in Black Clouds, does anyone know why they decided to use the masonic symbol and whether they have said anything concerning the lyrics to Rite of Passage?

Offline inoku

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 07:39:00 AM »
well, the artwork on BCASL contains images represent the songs on the album. and the masonic symbol represent the song A Rite of Passage

Offline enjibenji89

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 07:51:27 AM »
well, the artwork on BCASL contains images represent the songs on the album. and the masonic symbol represent the song A Rite of Passage

But have they said in an interview why they decided to write a song based on Freemasonry and what there views are on it? It's the lyrics like 'Beneath an ever watchful eye, The angels of the temple fly' It's obvious what the ever watchful eye is linked to, but why have they used it in a masonic context? Some people believe Freemansonry is linked to the 'Illuminati' and the illuminati supposedly use the all seeing eye as there own symbol.

Just curious tis all

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 08:01:49 AM »

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 08:03:55 AM »
The fact is most people see AROP as one of DT's less inspired songs. Any freemasonry symbols you find are likely rooted to that song: The design on the single, the BCSL painting, etc. John and Mike were probably throwing around ideas and freemasonry came up. Then they stuck a bunch of words together and made a mediocre song. I don't think it runs any deeper than that.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 08:21:39 AM »

But have they said in an interview why they decided to write a song based on Freemasonry and what there views are on it? It's the lyrics like 'Beneath an ever watchful eye, The angels of the temple fly' It's obvious what the ever watchful eye is linked to, but why have they used it in a masonic context? Some people believe Freemansonry is linked to the 'Illuminati' and the illuminati supposedly use the all seeing eye as there own symbol.

Just curious tis all

Because JP thought it would be a cool song idea.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jdprsaga

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2011, 08:29:45 AM »

Just curious tis all

Petrucci decided to write about freemasonry and conspiracy.. altho it was a bit vague.

There is nothing to much to see on it..he got the idea from books or tv... you can read about fremasonry and conspiracy in hundreds of popular books and History channel etc etc etc.

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2013, 04:19:29 AM »
Freemason sword of the XIX Century. Is it just me...?  :lol

Offline philmcson

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2013, 04:43:05 AM »
Don't overanalyze, just listen to dem goddamn music  :facepalm:

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2013, 04:47:24 AM »
I'd like some fries with those nuggetz.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2013, 05:45:48 AM »

Not with lyrics as such, more just the imagery I have seen. Rite of Passage just stood out because the first sentance caught my attention when he says New World Order.

Six Degrees has the Masonic symbol on the front cover, A Change of Seasons again has the Masonic symbol on the bucket, Systematic Chaos has same symbol on street sign, green light and in booklet. Train Of Thought has the eye on the front. Awake has Masonic symbol on front cover, Scenes from a Memory has Masonic symbol on front and booklet, as does Octavarium.
and

:omg: They are like twins!

Sorry  :rollin
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2013, 12:03:59 PM »

:clap:

Offline philmcson

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2013, 04:51:18 PM »

:clap:

Debra, congrats! Your postcount says 8888!  :tup

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2013, 02:26:38 AM »
Sorry, not anymore. :sad: ;)

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2013, 07:40:23 AM »
After buying nearly all DT albums recently, I have noticed they use Spiderman imagery a fair amount, the album "Awake" seems to be based on Spiderman (At least what I thought).

I'm not sure if there are more, this is all I have seen so far. My question is why do they actually use these images/symbols? Have they stated why?

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2013, 07:59:43 AM »
I believe the imagery on IaW is about imagery.  That's all I got.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2013, 08:04:42 AM »
I believe the imagery on IaW is about imagery.  That's all I got.

Good wording::)
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2013, 07:24:10 PM »
I have noticed they use Spiderman imagery a fair amount, the album "Awake" seems to be based on Spiderman (At least what I thought).
You are correct.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline AlexNascimento

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2013, 04:43:54 PM »
DT in Belo Horizonte, Brazil. The image may answer the topic.

https://www.soubh.com.br/uploads/fotos/albuns/dream-theater/dream-theater-187.jpg