Author Topic: Disappear Appreciation Thread  (Read 14089 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Disappear is one of the great DT songs
« Reply #70 on: September 10, 2014, 11:26:39 AM »
It is a masterpiece in that it captures the feeling of being in the deathbed of a loved one. It evokes suc memories for me everytime I hear it.

Yeah, I always think of my grandmother when I hear it. It's an amazing track.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #71 on: September 10, 2014, 11:28:07 AM »
An amazing and unique DT song, as most of SDOIT is. Because it's a slow build song, it took forever for this song to click for me, but once it hits that modulation and the drums come in, THE FEELS.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #72 on: September 10, 2014, 11:30:40 AM »
Wait, why do we have two Disappear threads on the first page? I'm confused.  :|

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #73 on: September 10, 2014, 11:44:56 AM »

It's that good.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #74 on: September 10, 2014, 11:57:46 AM »

It's like those buses, you know? You wait for them to arrive for hours and then two of the  arrive within a minute.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: September 10, 2014, 12:09:29 PM »

I blame me. When I saw TheOutlawXanadu's thread, I couldn't believe that there wasn't already an appreciation thread...so, I looked it up on the index and, well, figuring that this thread would get merged by one of the Mods, I decided to post in the original.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #76 on: September 10, 2014, 12:17:16 PM »

It's that good.
:lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Disappear Appreciation Thread
« Reply #77 on: September 10, 2014, 12:22:15 PM »
This song brings me to my knees quicker than a Ray Rice left hook.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #78 on: September 10, 2014, 12:22:41 PM »
Amazing how so many people's reactions to this song were the same as mine. It's definitely my favorite DT song right now.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #79 on: September 10, 2014, 12:30:39 PM »
This song brings me to my knees quicker than a Ray Rice left hook.
*down for the count*

lol j/k as if
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #80 on: September 10, 2014, 03:44:01 PM »
I think James LaBrie is the most underrated lyricist in the band and these lyrics are pretty good but the song as a whole is just...a really good song. 

It's also one I never have the urge to listen to and its also the least exciting on Disc 1.  Really there is nothing bad about it....its just not as good as the rest.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #81 on: September 10, 2014, 04:00:52 PM »
So I'm moving on
I'll never forget
As you lay there and watched me
Accepting the end
I knew you were scared
You were strong I was trying
I gave you my hand
I said it's okay letting go time to leave here
And I'll carry on
The best that I can without you here beside me
Let him come take you home

I'm not crying.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Xenon

« Reply #82 on: September 10, 2014, 04:37:41 PM »
I think James LaBrie is the most underrated lyricist in the band and these lyrics are pretty good but the song as a whole is just...a really good song. 

It's also one I never have the urge to listen to and its also the least exciting on Disc 1.  Really there is nothing bad about it....its just not as good as the rest.

I actually think his lyrics are the best of DT. Yes, JMX lyrics are more poetic, but I find JLB lyrics more relatable (and quite poetic too). Even in his solo albums there are some amazing lyrics.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #83 on: September 10, 2014, 04:40:55 PM »

I actually think his lyrics are the best of DT. Yes, JMX lyrics are more poetic, but I find JLB lyrics more relatable (and quite poetic too). Even in his solo albums there are some amazing lyrics.

I agree.  I love his lyrics to CIAW, Anna Lee, and Blind Faith.  The rest are almost equally kickass.  I especially love his lyrics on Elements of Persuasion.  For some reason, the song doesn't do all that much for me although I can't deny its a great song with great lyrics

Offline Xenon

« Reply #84 on: September 10, 2014, 05:19:30 PM »

I agree.  I love his lyrics to CIAW, Anna Lee, and Blind Faith.  The rest are almost equally kickass.  I especially love his lyrics on Elements of Persuasion.  For some reason, the song doesn't do all that much for me although I can't deny its a great song with great lyrics
I like to see more JLB lyrics on DT though. At least 2 or 3 per album.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #85 on: September 10, 2014, 10:13:09 PM »

I think the song has real impact on people who actually shared the experience of the story in the song's lyrics. For example, I watched my father die in his bed. We had our goodbyes, I saw the fear in his eyes, and then resignation. And then he closed his eyes, it never opened again, and we watched over him for a couple of hours as his breathing slowed down until he died.

This song captures that experience perfectly. The music fits, with the depressing shit feeling (the haunting intro), the monotony (the very deliberate, almost lifeless music as JLB sings "why, tell me the reasons why..."), the feeling that you don't want to move but you have to (when the drums enter to give a beat), and then the burst of trying to be positive (captured by DT when they entered full rock band with JLB singing "So I'm moving on..."), but still ending up feeling like shit anyway (which was captured by the ending which just went back to the intro music). The mark of an excellent song is when the music tells the story as much as the lyrics, and Disappear is excellent in that regard.

Offline adastra

« Reply #86 on: September 10, 2014, 11:25:31 PM »
I wish this song would just.... disappear.... haha no.
IMO , the best song on SDOIT!   :laugh:
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #87 on: September 11, 2014, 07:14:51 AM »
The mood this song sets up is amazing.

This.

Beautiful emotional song with a thrilling atmosphere. A soul sibling to SDV. Brings me to tears most of the times I listen to it.

On my top 10.
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline legenden1

« Reply #88 on: September 11, 2014, 11:42:09 PM »
By far the best song on SDOIT and one of DT´s best ever.

Offline PMSummer

« Reply #89 on: September 01, 2023, 02:15:28 PM »
Found this old thread in the song topic topic and just had to share that like the original poster, 'Disappear' stands out as my all-time favorite in Dream Theater's catalog. Not only are its lyrics powerful, emphasizing the importance of cherishing our time with loved ones, but it also feels exceptionally unique compared to their other tracks.

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #90 on: September 02, 2023, 06:09:39 AM »
top 10 DT for me for sure

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #91 on: September 02, 2023, 06:33:39 AM »
Found this old thread in the song topic topic and just had to share that like the original poster, 'Disappear' stands out as my all-time favorite in Dream Theater's catalog. Not only are its lyrics powerful, emphasizing the importance of cherishing our time with loved ones, but it also feels exceptionally unique compared to their other tracks.

I couldn't agree more!

A little more of that 'vibey' tone on the later albums would've gone a long way in my opinion.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #92 on: September 02, 2023, 08:00:22 AM »

I couldn't agree more!

A little more of that 'vibey' tone on the later albums would've gone a long way in my opinion.

Out of Reach captured some of that, I think.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: September 02, 2023, 08:31:40 PM »
Easily my favorite ex poster. I will continue to miss him.

I had to read this twice to get it. My feelings about that guy were all over the place. Once I got his posting style, it made reading his musings much easier.

Oh, and yeah, top 10 DT song for me.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #94 on: September 03, 2023, 09:10:29 AM »
It might be the worst song on the record, and I still love it. SDOIT is the best album of theirs.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #95 on: September 03, 2023, 09:37:34 AM »

I had to read this twice to get it. My feelings about that guy were all over the place. Once I got his posting style, it made reading his musings much easier.

Wow that post of mine 12 years old! I honestly don't even remember a user by that name anymore. I went and did a member search but didn't see it.

Huh.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #96 on: September 03, 2023, 11:43:47 AM »
Perhaps my all time favorite DT song. Heartbreaking and haunting. I hope to see it live some day.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #97 on: September 03, 2023, 12:33:49 PM »

Wow that post of mine 12 years old! I honestly don't even remember a user by that name anymore. I went and did a member search but didn't see it.

Huh.

He regularly posts on 5/8, that's why. Maybe he got banned? I could see it happening.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #98 on: September 03, 2023, 02:38:45 PM »
disappear is not just a song; it's an experience. it's a song that can make you cry, make you think, and make you appreciate the people and things in your life. it's a song that can heal a wounded heart and bring solace to a troubled mind.
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: September 04, 2023, 02:09:46 PM »

Huh.

Yeah, I don't believe he ever made it on this iteration of the forum. I remember his avatar was David Hasselhoff
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline The Great Ape

« Reply #100 on: September 11, 2023, 01:04:57 PM »
space-dye vest originally is about a dude dealing with the aftermath of a breakup, but if you reinterpret it in the context of disappear it becomes a song of someone being so hurt and traumatized by the loss of a loved one that they become too emotionally broken to open up to anyone out of fear of experiencing that sort of pain again

even better, listen to this playlist

the a mind beside itself suite to establish character with mental health issues, then scarred to add an element of family abuse “can’t let them rape me again” misunderstood for isolation, eve for character falling in love, these walls for character trying to seduce love interest

the mirror + lie for alcohol and trust issues, which results in light fuse and get away, speak to me for the love interest becoming distant due to the protagonist’s issues

the answer lies within for someone comforting the protagonist

repentance for the protagonist realizing he must make amends but before he can

vacant for the love interest succumbing to an illness, stream of consciousness for protagonist’s emotions

disappear for love interest’s death and finally space-dye vest for the protagonist being so hurt and traumatized by the loss of a loved one that they become too emotionally broken to open up to anyone out of fear of experiencing that sort of pain again
"You know what? Enough is enough. There's enough hate in this world; there's enough frickin' negativity in this world" - James LaBrie

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #101 on: September 12, 2023, 05:50:15 AM »
what did you smoke/snort?