Author Topic: Effloresce: Opeth-esque with female vocals  (Read 8252 times)

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
Re: Effloresce: Opeth-esque with female vocals
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2012, 09:02:34 AM »
Yeah, you guys definitely made a good choice there.  The album sound awesome.  I'd put it up against any of my favorite productions any day.  I love that the mastering is not all fucking mashed up against the ceiling too.   Every instrument has plenty of room to breath and there's a depth and hugeness to the overall sound....I really picked up on it when listening on my iPod at the gym.  I've got some new Bose ear buds and those definitely helped. 

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2012, 10:02:31 PM »
I just listened to the album and immediately ordered it. Between these guys and Look Right Penny, I'm finding a lot of good female-vocaled rock/metal lately.

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2012, 12:33:21 AM »
I just listened to the album and immediately ordered it.

Thanks! Your CD is already on its way!   :smiley:
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2012, 02:03:11 PM »
^Michael - my CD arrived yesterday.

Offline TheStinger

Re: Effloresce (the band): for fans of the female growl
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2012, 02:48:55 PM »
hey guys! Dave here, one of those guitar dudes of Effloresce. Thanks for all those positive comments so far, people! They finally made me registering in your nice community, hehe ;)

As Kyo already stated a few posts ago you can listen and buy our music now at https://effloresce.bandcamp.com and yeah, comments are highly appreciated of course. So feel free to check out the music! ;)

As for me, i'll check out some other threads here and look around what's going on here at DTF.  :metal

The song I have heard (Spectre Pt 1) is a killer tune mate.  Will look at picking up the album.  Keep up the awesome work dude. :metal

Offline guitarrero

Re: Effloresce (the band): for fans of the female growl
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2012, 04:46:10 PM »
hey guys! Dave here, one of those guitar dudes of Effloresce. Thanks for all those positive comments so far, people! They finally made me registering in your nice community, hehe ;)

As Kyo already stated a few posts ago you can listen and buy our music now at https://effloresce.bandcamp.com and yeah, comments are highly appreciated of course. So feel free to check out the music! ;)

As for me, i'll check out some other threads here and look around what's going on here at DTF.  :metal

The song I have heard (Spectre Pt 1) is a killer tune mate.  Will look at picking up the album.  Keep up the awesome work dude. :metal

Oh boy... thanks, man! Feels fantastic to get comments like this! Great you like what you hear! And yeah, we work we work to keep it up.

Cool Barry, have fun with your copy! ;) A Special Edition that was?

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2012, 11:35:32 AM »
Yeah, I got the special edition with the cards and the sticker.  When I get my car back I'll put the sticker on it  :hat

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2012, 01:36:22 PM »
^Michael - my CD arrived yesterday.

Glad to hear the disc made its way to you at last! :)

Sorry about that unfortunate delay (of all orders it had to be that one, of course...), sometimes the weirdest things happen...
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2012, 01:54:18 PM »
Eh, it didn't really matter since I had the MP3s anyway.  I mean, I do want to check out the lyrics and the artwork, but the music is the main thing.  I rarely buy CDs any more.  Only from bands I really, really like, or want to keep collecting or friends like you guys. 

Offline guitarrero

« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2012, 09:32:48 AM »
nice nice! Looking forward to you review, sir!  :angel:

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #45 on: February 29, 2012, 09:23:11 PM »
Just listened to Shuteye Wanderer.

You found a new fan in me for sure.  Barry's endorsement makes it a certainty that I'll own this soon.  As much as I prefer owning the physical CD and I don't like going the digital route, with my amazon MP3 credits it would cost me less than $5 to get it there, but $20 to order the physical product, and I really need to tighten up my budget.  Any chance you might be able to get amazon to care the physical product and have it not cost so much?  (15 Euro for the CD & shipping is just over $20 US.  Sorry for being a cheapo, but my living situation is going to become very fluid in a few months.

Offline guitarrero

« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2012, 03:06:16 AM »
Hey DTVT! Glad you dig our stuff, i appreciate that a lot!
And as i just learned finally LaserCD got their first shipment of Coma-Ghosts-CDs, so you'll be able to get a physical copy here: https://www.lasercd.com/Products/Effloresce---Coma-Ghosts__GENPRCD003.aspx
I guess that's the cheapest way for US-citizens to get a physical copy of our album. So yeah, your choice, sir. But i promise you the Booklet is worth the extra bucks, since you get all the lyrics and pretty much disturbing pictures which kinda "describe" every tune or at least give you a visual hint at what's going on... :)

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2012, 07:57:26 AM »
Thanks guitarrero.  Guess that gives me a reason to raid the laserCD catalog.

Actually, I rarely look in the books.  I just grew up before the digital age and like having a physical copy, even though I just rip the CD and put it on the shelf  :lol

Offline guitarrero

« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2012, 08:03:21 AM »
I just grew up before the digital age and like having a physical copy, even though I just rip the CD and put it on the shelf  :lol

same here! :) It's great having artwork, lyrics and all that at your hands if needed. Makes a lot of sense for most records, so "digital only" really isn't for me...

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2012, 12:40:21 PM »
It usually takes less time and effort to google them though :)  Plus, I can access the internet anywhere, whereas I can only access the physical product in my living room.

Offline guitarrero

« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2012, 01:37:35 PM »
It usually takes less time and effort to google them though :)  Plus, I can access the internet anywhere, whereas I can only access the physical product in my living room.

well, you know, the idealistic picture demands that you sit in a cozy chair, listen to an album and read along the lyrics while you hold the booklet in your hands. haptic experience and stuff... but yeah, utopia, here we come ;)

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2012, 08:26:12 AM »
Well, I received my CD a few days ago. Very, very solid album. There are a few instances where the Opeth influence seems a bit too blatant, but the music usually moves on fairly quickly. Overall, great stuff!

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2012, 08:36:46 PM »
not sure if it was guitarrero, but ive been checking out a band called Dark Suns as a result of some Effloresce member posting them in their top albums of the year note on facebook. some pretty good stuff on there.

also, i have been semi obsessed with Effloresce the past two weeks after checking em out. pretty awesome stuff, but i actually think i might prefer the EP (from the few samples i found) to the new album.
regardless, Coma Ghosts is what Heritage wishes it was.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2012, 09:03:45 PM »
Coma Ghosts is what Heritage wishes it was.
Heritage was my 2011 album of the year, so I can't agree with that at all... but Coma Ghosts is very good.

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2012, 09:19:51 PM »
to be fair, i do enjoy most of heritage. it just never lived up to my lofty expectations.

Offline guitarrero

« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2012, 03:26:13 AM »
woohoooo, Heritage is also one of my faves from 2011, probably THE FAVE, so i'd never ever would see my own bands' album anywhere close to the genius of Opeth.
But glad some people apparently do! Pretty weird actually...

As for Dark Suns: That is one of Tobi's faves (he's the drummer in Effloresce) from 2011. I personally only heard it once so far, but did enjoy it quite a lot, too! Orange is a very solid album even at first listen.

Offline guitarrero

« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2012, 03:35:27 AM »
look who wrote a cool review of our debut album "Coma Ghosts": https://www.ladyobscure.com/?p=165

Thanks Lady Obscure!   :tup

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2012, 03:39:32 AM »
My pleasure mister!  :)

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2012, 01:21:37 PM »
As for Dark Suns: That is one of Tobi's faves (he's the drummer in Effloresce) from 2011. I personally only heard it once so far, but did enjoy it quite a lot, too! Orange is a very solid album even at first listen.

the first track is some damn catchy retro proggy pop stuff - hard not to be lured in.
i mean, its got nothing on effloresce  ;), but its a rather intriguing album. 

Offline yesrushdt

« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2012, 06:42:36 PM »
Listening to the track Spectre Pt. I: Zorya's Dawn right now, sounds very good.  I'll have to check the rest of the album out.

If you're looking for another female fronted band influenced by Opeth (as well as classic Pain Of Salvation), definitely check out The Last Void's "State Of Mind".  One of my favorite albums from 2010.  Strong vocals and musicianship throughout.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: May 01, 2012, 05:12:18 AM »
Listening to the album again .... wow.. just wow...

Offline guitarrero

« Reply #61 on: May 03, 2012, 11:37:15 AM »
Thanks a lot, ma'am!  :coolio

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2012, 07:29:15 AM »
 :laugh:

Offline guitarrero

« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2012, 04:49:58 AM »
kinda re-animating this thread here.
So do more of you guys have our album "Coma Ghosts" already? If not, there will be no more excuses very soon! ;) Meaning, we're working on a webshop for our website which will be launched in a few weeks! :)
Besides that we also have some cool stuff prepared for the upcoming months, so make sure you check out our (brandnew by the way) website over at www.effloresceonline.com  :metal

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: July 17, 2012, 04:53:03 AM »
I hope you're ready for our casual coffee-shop interview... as the time is drawing near  ;)

Offline jammindude

« Reply #65 on: October 22, 2013, 12:29:56 AM »
BUMP!

I'm just getting around to this album....(I only just got it a couple of weeks ago, and things have been hectic with all the new releases lately)   

But I'm giving it The Jammin Dude "Five Spin Rule" this week, and WOW!   I almost hate it when I get SO MUCH GREAT music all at the same time, because it all seems like so much to process.    But this album is really amazing.   I'm on spin #2 at the moment, and was just motivated to hop on and rave about what I'm hearing. 

I don't know if I quite get the "Opeth vibe" everyone else seems to be getting...but I'm definitely LOVING it.   I'm preparing for this to be the focus of the next Jammin Dude Show review.    I'll be getting it up this weekend.  (hmmm....that came out wrong)

I'm especially impressed with Nicki's transition from clean to harsh vocals....and I really appreciate that she doesn't overdo it.    Her choices of where to use it and not to use it is so tasteful.   Does she write her own vocal harmonies?  (i.e, where to sing clean and where not to....or does someone else decide?)    Whoever makes that call has excellent taste and instincts.   

EDIT:  BTW....I'm on Swimming Through Deserts now and I changed my mind....I guess I hear a big Opeth vibe on this one...although I think a better comparison would be The Gathering.   Especially "How To Measure a Planet?" which is one of my all time favorite albums. 
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 12:37:36 AM by jammindude »
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #66 on: October 22, 2013, 03:54:54 AM »
Listening to Spectre Pt. I right now. I'll probably have to buy this album :tup

Offline Rhayader

« Reply #67 on: October 22, 2013, 06:22:36 AM »
It is good, but Opeth is much better.

Offline guitarrero

« Reply #68 on: October 22, 2013, 09:42:14 AM »
Oh wow! Almost forgot about this thread here... thanks for bringing it back to life jammindude !!! Looking forward to your video, mate!

I'm especially impressed with Nicki's transition from clean to harsh vocals....and I really appreciate that she doesn't overdo it.    Her choices of where to use it and not to use it is so tasteful.   Does she write her own vocal harmonies?  (i.e, where to sing clean and where not to....or does someone else decide?)    Whoever makes that call has excellent taste and instincts.   

As for that: Nicki does all of that stuff by herself! We usually write music and have some ideas where to put the voice, but she is always present anyway and making up her mind while we write songs. And then she comes up with the most unexpected things, really. She often prefers to sing over pretty weird and awkward parts and yeah, i would agree that her taste and instincts are pretty badass!  :tup
Just wait until you guys hear the stuff that we are working on right now!  :coolio

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: October 22, 2013, 11:04:01 AM »
oohh, yeah, I'm down for some new material  :hat   :tup