Author Topic: Arch/Matheos - v. Winter Ethereal COMING MAY 10th, 2019!  (Read 54581 times)

Offline SoundscapeMN

Arch/Matheos - v. Winter Ethereal COMING MAY 10th, 2019!
« on: January 11, 2011, 08:42:54 PM »
 :o

Joey Vera's posting on Facebook

Learning tunes for the new John Arch record.

FUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHK

« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 11:07:30 AM by SoundscapeMN »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: John Arch - New album coming
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 08:47:21 PM »
Holy shit, this is news!!!  Hopefully it's better than Twist of Fate.

:tup
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 10:04:09 PM »
Hmm, that EP was pretty good, I have to go back and re-visit it.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online The Letter M

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 11:26:32 PM »
Hmmm, I wonder what the chances are of John tapping Mike again for the drums on this album. Also, will Jim be on it too? I think it'd be pretty sweet if John had the same line-up from his EP. Amidst all the prog and rock Mike has been surrounding himself with (via Neal Morse), he could probably use a (progressive) metal-outlet and this would probably be a good way to do that.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 02:13:52 AM »
Very exciting news, Twist of Fate was excellent! Hope it's a full length album this time.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 03:07:52 AM »
Interesting that all you guys liked the EP, it never did anything for me at the time.  I'll have to go back and listen again.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 06:00:52 AM »
I like that EP ALOT!!!
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 10:04:29 AM »
Not huge on the EP, but it'd be cool for a full length album. I'll be checking it out.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline jsem

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 10:24:01 AM »
YES.  :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 12:49:10 PM »
I thought I'd never live long enough to see this! The EP he released was pure perfection!

Offline Leorimus

New album with John Arch and most of Fates Warning
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 04:25:24 PM »
https://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=152526

OK, so it's not technically Fates Warning but Arch/Matheos, however all the musicians playing on this band ARE on the current incarnation of FW!!!
I guess they didn't want to fire Ray Alder after all these years, anyway as a long time Fates Warning fan I'm really looking forward to this NEW?? band :)

Opinions?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 05:08:44 PM by Nicólįs »

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: New Fates Warning album with John Arch...
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 04:33:43 PM »
Looking forward to it, should be cool.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 04:36:27 PM »
I hope this doesn't take priority over the new current Fates Warning album that they've been continuing to delay.  I never particularly liked Arch-era Fates Warning, though.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 04:56:41 PM »
Yeah, I also hope it doesn't delay the new Fates album.  But an album with Matheos, Arch, Jarzombek, Vera and Aresti is going to be amazing.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
Re: New album with John Arch and most of Fates Warning
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 05:09:06 PM »
I'm changing the thread title because it is quite frankly wrong.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2011, 05:10:27 PM »
Considering the excellence of the Twist of Fate CD and the very good record of Fates Warning I'm really looking forward to this.

Offline Leorimus

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2011, 05:17:52 PM »
Look at it this way, if nothing gets delayed, this year we'll get 2 albums from Fates Warning one with Ray and one with John, I know John's version will not be called FW, but let's be honest it's the same band with a different singer.

I'm really looking forward to this release!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2011, 05:25:40 PM »
If the current lineup of Fates Warning was releasing an album WITH Ray Alder and chose not to call it Fates Warning it wouldn't be Fates Warning. These things have names for a reason.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2011, 05:26:06 PM »
This is hysterical. This is Fates Warning. This is Arch-era Fates with the CURRENT Fates band.

Should be interesting. Can't wait.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2011, 05:41:32 PM »
If the current lineup of Fates Warning was releasing an album WITH Ray Alder and chose not to call it Fates Warning it wouldn't be Fates Warning. These things have names for a reason.

This.

This is hysterical. This is Fates Warning. This is Arch-era Fates with the CURRENT Fates band.

And this.  ...at the same time.  ...I r confuse.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2011, 06:01:07 PM »
I hope this doesn't take priority over the new current Fates Warning album that they've been continuing to delay.  I never particularly liked Arch-era Fates Warning, though.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2011, 06:40:38 PM »
new album/project now known as "Arch/Matheos"

Arch / Matheos currently tracking in the studio

AGOURA HILLS, Calif. – January 19, 2011 – Jim Matheos (current member of the progressive rock powerhouse Fates Warning and OSI) and John Arch (former vocalist of Fates Warning) are currently working together on a new full-length album that will be released in late spring/early summer via Metal Blade Records. The band, called ARCH / MATHEOS, began tracking the drums on January 12 and will continue to record through mid February with both John Arch and Jim Matheos producing the album.
ARCH / MATHEOS features an all-star lineup including the talents of Joey Vera on bass (Armored Saint, Anthrax, Fates Warning, Seven Witches), Bobby Jarzombek on drums (Halford, Fates Warning, Sebastian Bach, Riot), and Frank Aresti on additional lead guitar (Fates Warning). More details will be released over the coming months so be sure to stay tuned to FatesWarning.com & MetalBlade.com

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2011, 11:29:27 AM »
Reminds me of when the ex-members of Yes called their album: Anderson Wakeman Bruford Howe.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saėns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2011, 02:03:36 PM »
I might be looking too much into this, but it sounds like FW w/ Ray Alder won't be resurfacing anytime soon.  Maybe the success and great records by Redemption has played a role in the FW lineup now turning to Arch.  Personally, I've never been a fan of Arch's voice.

Also, the name Arch/Matheos is kinda cheesy.  I hope they reconsider and pick something a little more thought-provoking before the album is released.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Online The Letter M

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2011, 02:19:37 PM »
I might be looking too much into this, but it sounds like FW w/ Ray Alder won't be resurfacing anytime soon.  Maybe the success and great records by Redemption has played a role in the FW lineup now turning to Arch.  Personally, I've never been a fan of Arch's voice.

Also, the name Arch/Matheos is kinda cheesy.  I hope they reconsider and pick something a little more thought-provoking before the album is released.

Hmmm... what about Archeos? (Pronounced Ar-Key-Oss)... Or Warnings Fate? :lol

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2011, 02:21:33 PM »
I thinks they should go for:  Skcus Redla Yar.

"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2011, 02:26:08 PM »

When I talked to Jim, he did say to me that FW felt a little stale, and that if anything, FWX really had elements of OSI in it. So maybe they just aren't motivated to do FW with Alder at this point.

I agree, I'm not huge on Arch's voice, but for me, it could be underexposure to it. I came into FW fandom through Ray, and obviously, there are only a handful of albums with Arch's voice. I am listening to Awaken the Guardian now, trying to re-familiarize myself with Arch-era FW, and Arch's voice.

Also agree that the name is laughable, but it may be by choice, to signify it is NOT a band, just a project.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2011, 03:08:37 PM »
I might be looking too much into this, but it sounds like FW w/ Ray Alder won't be resurfacing anytime soon.  

https://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=151694

Feb. 10 - Turock - Essen, Germany
Feb. 11 - Het Bolwerk - Sneek, Holland
Feb. 12 - Bosuil - Weert, Holland
Feb. 13 - De Kelder - Amersfoort, Holland

FATES WARNING 2011 is:

Ray Alder (vocals)
Jim Matheos (guitar)
Frank Aresti (guitar)
Joey Vera (bass)
Bobby Jarzombek (drums)

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2011, 05:23:04 PM »
Cool on the tour dates. I think I should clarify...perhaps they just aren't feeling it creative-wise, for Fates Warning with Alder...meaning studio work.

Here's hoping new Alder-fronted FW is on the way, but I'm not holding my breath.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2011, 06:32:56 PM »
Ray Alder (vocals)
Jim Matheos (guitar)
Frank Aresti (guitar)
Joey Vera (bass)
Bobby Jarzombek (drums)[/b]

An album with this lineup would be HUGE!!!!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2011, 07:03:02 PM »
No, I think they'd just use the standard sized CDs.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2011, 10:58:38 PM »

When I talked to Jim, he did say to me that FW felt a little stale, and that if anything, FWX really had elements of OSI in it. So maybe they just aren't motivated to do FW with Alder at this point.

I agree, I'm not huge on Arch's voice, but for me, it could be underexposure to it. I came into FW fandom through Ray, and obviously, there are only a handful of albums with Arch's voice. I am listening to Awaken the Guardian now, trying to re-familiarize myself with Arch-era FW, and Arch's voice.

Also agree that the name is laughable, but it may be by choice, to signify it is NOT a band, just a project.

I also got into FW with Ray to start with. The first thing I ever heard/seen was the video for Silent Cries on head bangers ball back in the 80's but, I didn't really get into the band until Perfect Symmetry. Years later when I heard the earlier material with John Arch I really didn't know what to think of it. He was probably the oddest vocalist that I had heard up to that point. It took me some time but, now I consider Awaken the Guardian one of the greatest metal albums of all time. JA is an aquired taste and I definately understand it when people find him hard to listen to. I felt the same way at one point, after all.

If this new album is half as good as the Twist of Fate EP then we're in for a big treat.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2011, 10:07:49 AM »
Well, I guess what I'm saying is... I feel like Redemption is the band that now gets Ray Alder's voice for future creativity.  Redemption and FW are similar-sounding prog metal bands, and we all know that Redemption kinda stemmed from FW with Nick van Dyk being a FW fan.  I think Redemption started as a side project for Alder, but they've really become something great and (in my opinion) are on an equal playing field, if not slightly ahead, of FW in terms of music quality.  So it seems weird for both bands to use Alder.  It's like they'd be going head to head and fans would be comparing the bands endlessly -- saying they prefer Alder in FW or they prefer Alder in Redemption.

I'm sure that the FW guys have discussed the band's future during the Parallels tour last year.  I mean, it was a long time ago when Matheos said that FW was working on new material, and then we never heard anything again.  Now, they are working with Arch?  Maybe FW and Alder have decided to let him keep doing Redemption for now, and any FW/Alder stuff will strictly be performances of the band's older stuff.  Meanwhile, FW will resurrect Arch and see how that works for them. 
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2011, 10:23:40 AM »
Cool on the tour dates. I think I should clarify...perhaps they just aren't feeling it creative-wise, for Fates Warning with Alder...meaning studio work.

Here's hoping new Alder-fronted FW is on the way, but I'm not holding my breath.

it would help to see an interview with Jim or especially Ray to get an idea about this. But there was 1 or 2 items as recently as last Summer about the band working on a new record, including Bobby Jarzombek saying he was learning music for some 20-something minute tune for it.

Now, perhaps said tune/ideas ended up for this John Arch project (A Twist of Fate of course included 2 rather lengthly pieces itself i.e. a 20-something minute song from Arch/Matheos wouldn't seem strange), but who knows.

The guys on UsedBin Radio may be having any of the members of this Arch-and-co project on their music-talk show soon, so perhaps more clarification about what the status of the studio work from Fates Warning and Ray is or looks to be happening, will come out then.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2011, 06:53:01 PM »
https://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=159674

FATES WARNING/OSI guitarist Jim Matheos and former FATES WARNING singer John Arch are currently working together on a new full-length album, "Sympathetic Resonance", that will be released in North America on September 13 via Metal Blade Records. The band, called ARCH/MATHEOS, began tracking the drums on January 12 and continued to record through mid-February with both John Arch and Jim Matheos producing the album.

ARCH/MATHEOS features an all-star lineup, including the talents of Joey Vera (ARMORED SAINT, ANTHRAX, FATES WARNING, SEVEN WITCHES) on bass, Bobby Jarzombek (HALFORD, FATES WARNING, SEBASTIAN BACH, RIOT) on drums, and Frank Aresti (FATES WARNING) on additional lead guitar.

Comments Matheos: "I think John and I work really well together. There's a lot of mutual respect and trust in what we do. But we're also both very critical of ourselves, and each other. This can make for a long and sometimes tedious process. But ultimately it's one I enjoy because I think it brings out the best in both of us."

Adds Arch: "When I first heard some of the arrangements Jim had written and recorded, it took quite some time before I could wrap my mind around the odd time signatures and guitar work going on here. There are some long compositions, so putting anxiety and apprehension on the back burner it was time to dissect these numbers into digestible bits. After the lengthy process of lyrics and melodies, listening to the songs now, I can't imagine them any other way."

In terms of the lyrical content on "Sympathetic Resonance", John Arch notes that "the lyrics this time around are more in line with [Arch's 2003 solo EP] 'A Twist Of Fate' and not of the mystical nature of some past albums."

ARCH/MATHEOS recording lineup:

* John Arch (FATES WARNING) - Vocals
* Jim Matheos (FATES WARNING, OSI) - Guitar
* Joey Vera (ARMORED SAINT, ANTHRAX, FATES WARNING, SEVEN WITCHES) - Bass
* Bobby Jarzombek (HALFORD, FATES WARNING, SEBASTIAN BACH, RIOT) - Drums
* Frank Aresti (FATES WARNING) - Additional Lead Guitar