Author Topic: Blackfield  (Read 130340 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: Blackfield
« Reply #805 on: August 28, 2013, 02:52:11 PM »
Twist & Shout in Denver.

Wasn't Waving the song he wrote?

Yep.

And lol at someone editing my post.

As opposed to the warn/ban route? Sorry if you found that funny...
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #806 on: August 28, 2013, 02:53:59 PM »
Twist & Shout in Denver.

That's what I figured. 

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #807 on: August 28, 2013, 04:36:04 PM »
It's a hipster paradise, but they have a damn good selection of stuff!
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #808 on: August 28, 2013, 04:58:51 PM »
It's a hipster paradise, but they have a damn good selection of stuff!

I'm surprised it's still there frankly. When I lived there in the area (1988-2002) it was not that impressive (to me)

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #809 on: August 28, 2013, 07:50:25 PM »
Twist & Shout in Denver.

Wasn't Waving the song he wrote?

Yep.

And lol at someone editing my post.

Probably why that's the only keeper son off "welcome to my dna"

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #810 on: August 29, 2013, 02:19:24 AM »
Waving is excellent but there are a few better songs on Welcome to my DNA. It's probably top3 on the album though.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #811 on: August 29, 2013, 04:57:02 PM »
I found the interview where Aviv confirms that Steven Wilson is touring with Blackfield in the US and Europe in February. Kind of surprised that he's doing the tour as I'm pretty sure he said that he wouldn't be involved with Blackfield live. Still, I hope I'll be able to catch them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziLCNHgBXkg

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #812 on: September 02, 2013, 12:04:03 PM »
Er, there are never going to be long Blackfield songs. That's kind of the point. And I'm willing to bet I will enjoy it more than the new DT (if I even buy that), regardless of length.

I wasn't expecting a particularly long album, but then, I wasn't expecting it to be under 35 minutes either. Was hoping for somewhere between 35-45 mins. I'm going to wait until I can afford to buy it along with another album, so that won't be the only thing I have to listen to when I get home. It will be enjoyable, I'm pretty certain of that, but it will be over far too quickly for my liking.

Blackfield produce the most beautiful, complex chord progressions, and it's a bit of a shame they're not developed at length.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 12:15:08 PM by RoeDent »

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #813 on: September 02, 2013, 12:55:22 PM »
I'm not sure what you mean by "developed at length." One of the things I love so much about Blackfield is how concise their songs are. They don't need to be long or complicated to be beautiful and emotional.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #814 on: September 03, 2013, 02:11:37 PM »
I'm not sure what you mean by "developed at length." One of the things I love so much about Blackfield is how concise their songs are. They don't need to be long or complicated to be beautiful and emotional.

agreed with all of this, but i must say i'm quite interested in what would happen if BF went for a long track. it won't happen either way — the closest we have is the extended "Blackfield," and that's only really lengthened by repetition.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #815 on: September 03, 2013, 07:46:57 PM »
Never been huge on Blackfield, so I am totally surprised how much I love the new record. Aviv really has stepped into his own vision here. Being out of SW shadow seems to have been a good thing for him creatively. I couldn't imagine this music being made with SW still a full-timer.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #816 on: November 11, 2013, 10:28:33 PM »
In case y'all haven't seen this on FB/Twitter yet, first two shows of the tour announced- London and Paris in February :D

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #817 on: November 11, 2013, 10:30:48 PM »
Blackfield IV has some great stuff: X-Ray, Sense of Insanity, Jupiter, Lost Souls..

but I love DNA a lot more.

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #818 on: November 12, 2013, 02:34:51 AM »
I held off on getting Blackfield tickets thinking it'd just be Geffen, now I know it's Wilson too I'm very tempted... but that interview implies Wilson will be there, a prior interview with Wilson he stated he wouldn't be getting involved so I'm not sure what to think. None of the gig pages say either.

Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #819 on: November 17, 2013, 03:13:28 AM »
Got my tickets, London February 5th here I (and others) come! I haven't really fallen for the new album yet so I'll be giving that some listening beforehand so I can appreciate the gig.

I wonder what changed from Wilson stating he would not be involved with Blackfield touring etc. to now doing all of the European dates?
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #820 on: November 18, 2013, 11:34:13 AM »
That's pretty awesome!

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #821 on: April 03, 2014, 03:43:52 PM »
Lost Souls might be my favorite Blackfield song. It's so good!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #822 on: April 03, 2014, 03:49:46 PM »
I love it as well. It's SO good.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #823 on: April 03, 2014, 03:52:45 PM »
Aviv's vocals are perfect on there!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #824 on: March 01, 2015, 12:48:12 PM »
I never really gave IV much of a chance - the lack of Steven Wilson admittedly made me a bit apprehensive about it - but listening to it now, there's definitely some good stuff on there.  It has some clunkers, which the first three don't really have (except for Go to Hell, thanks to the lyrics), but there are some good songs here.  The vibe of this band is so good.  :coolio

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #825 on: June 17, 2016, 06:44:30 PM »
Based on the album cover, I'm guessing Blackfield V's going to be a bit more... intense? >_>

Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #826 on: June 17, 2016, 08:08:59 PM »
I saw that cover earlier today and was pretty impressed. It is certainly something else. I'm expecting a September or October release date, unless one was already announced and I somehow missed it...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #827 on: June 18, 2016, 01:59:55 AM »
Really excited for this!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #828 on: June 18, 2016, 02:41:46 AM »
I'm not hyped since the last two albums were very disappointing, but will certainly check this one out.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #829 on: June 18, 2016, 07:05:51 AM »
I don't think they were disappointing. Sure, the first is their best, but Aviv Geffen was always the best part about the band and he has continued to write good songs without SW's involvement. And it seems like SW will be involved in some capacity, so it will definitely have that Blackfield-feel to it. Much more excited about this than I would be for SW5 tbh.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #830 on: June 18, 2016, 07:36:00 AM »
I'm not hyped since the last two albums were very disappointing, but will certainly check this one out.

I think the 3rd album was mostly good, albeit not nearly as good as the first two, but the fourth was definitely a major disappointment, which, not coincidentally, was the one with the least involvement by SW.  I have high hopes that they will bounce back with this one.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #831 on: June 18, 2016, 07:52:30 AM »
I also thought it descended sharply once SW stepped back. The best songs on the last two are the ones re-recorded from Geffen's past records and the one(s) written by SW, imo.

I would say the first two and the NYC DVD were the peak of this project. Hopefully this new one will prove me wrong!

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #832 on: June 18, 2016, 09:52:47 AM »
There's absolutely no denying that the last two albums have suffered as a result of SW's stepping back, and that his involvement lifted the first albums up a couple of levels.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #833 on: June 18, 2016, 10:53:01 AM »
There's absolutely no denying that the last two albums have suffered as a result of SW's stepping back, and that his involvement lifted the first albums up a couple of levels.

I think that's the wrong way to look at it. That's like saying the last two DT albums are terrible because MP are no longer the drummer. Sometimes it's because of more things than just members leaving or joining, in this case I think Aviv needs to find his feet as the main anchor of the band, and IV was the first album with SW not as a main member anymore, and there's always gonna be some transition time needed.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #834 on: June 18, 2016, 01:33:22 PM »

Agreed. 

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #835 on: June 18, 2016, 01:45:43 PM »

I think that's the wrong way to look at it. That's like saying the last two DT albums are terrible because MP are no longer the drummer. Sometimes it's because of more things than just members leaving or joining, in this case I think Aviv needs to find his feet as the main anchor of the band, and IV was the first album with SW not as a main member anymore, and there's always gonna be some transition time needed.

But the big difference here is that DT are a band of 5 and Blackfield are (were) a duo. A change in a band of five has impact, but not as much as a band with fewer members, certainly a duo. It's effectively Aviv operating under a pseudonym, like Roland Orzabal did with Tears for Fears in the 90s.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #836 on: June 18, 2016, 03:57:02 PM »
I just think it's interesting because on BF2 SW only wrote music on 3 out of 10 songs, and on the debut, which is their best album, he only wrote music for 2 of the 10 songs. Lyrically you could argue that SW wrote more on the first two, and you would get a point, because he was more involved lyrically, maybe 80% on the debut and about 50% on BF2. But I think his role in the band is somewhat overstated because even though he put his touch on it, I feel like people want to credit him more than he actually contributed. I would also counter the lyric credit argument slightly with the fact that nobody, at least here really talks about Blackfield because of their lyrics, unless it's something like Go to Hell, which is obviously bad in that regard. I feel like most of us like Blackfield because of the great melodies and while lyrics play a part in that, I think the music does to a greater extent.

SW writing music for 2 songs on the debut while "only" writing for 1 on Welcome to my DNA is not that big of a difference. It's like people want to lump WtmDNA off on Aviv when in reality SW was still a member of Blackfield and still put his 100% into that album. He may only have contributed to 1 song musically, but that's compared to 3 and 2 before that. I can buy the argument for IV because SW had stepped out, he only provided vocals and other than that he had nothing to do with it. But even on the earlier albums, most of the best songs are Aviv's.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #837 on: June 18, 2016, 04:14:28 PM »
I think it's more of a case of most of us knowing what a great songwriter is Wilson is on his own or without Geffen; meanwhile, the jury is still out on Geffen in that regard. Wilson might have technically written the music for only five songs from the first two albums, but his blueprint is all over most over them, it likely being a case of Geffen bringing the "finished" songs into the studio and then the two working out the kinks and odds and ends of the final recorded product together.  Fast forward to album 4 where it was Geffen on his own basically, with virtually no help from SW with his "finished" work, and the end result was pretty mediocre. 

i think just about everyone would agree that for the purposes of this project, it is better served by having them both there.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #838 on: June 18, 2016, 04:54:26 PM »
SW definitely puts his print on things he produces! I believe they co-produced 1 & 3 and SW did 2 by himself, Aviv 4 by himself. I didn't mind IV that much, still my least favorite, but a good album. But I definitely missed SW's producing hands on that one. Not that Aviv did a bad job, but those first 3 BF albums definitely has a connection in terms of feel/sound, and IV sounds different. I do miss him when it comes to that, he did a fine job.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #839 on: June 19, 2016, 01:01:16 AM »
That cover is  :hat