Author Topic: David Bowie Appreciation  (Read 3192 times)

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
David Bowie Appreciation
« on: January 10, 2011, 01:18:39 PM »
So, I was searching the forum and was unable to find a thread that discussed Bowie. To me he one of the greatest musicians of all time. He's been an avant-garde his whole career, constantly changing his musical style and influencing lots of other great artists.

What do you think about him??
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline juice

• om nom nom
Re: David Bowie Appreciation
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 01:22:16 PM »
Bowie is awesome!

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 01:25:31 PM »
David Bowie is the freaking man.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 02:52:52 PM »
Really, really got into him last year. Hunky Dory is a marvellous album. Phenomenal musician.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 02:59:33 PM »
The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars.
I had high hopes for that album, but maybe it needs time to grow. I liked Hang On To Yourself though, will have to hear the album again I think.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 04:42:50 PM »
Ziggy Stardust (the album and song) are stuff of awesomeness. Bowie is such an awesome artist!

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 07:55:57 PM »
Really, really got into him last year. Hunky Dory is a marvellous album. Phenomenal musician.

I agree... a great album
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 11:32:14 PM »
I don't listen to Bowie as much as I probably should (too much great music, so little time!), but he is pretty great overall.  Low is the bee's knees. :coolio

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 07:52:43 AM »
Ziggy is definitely one of the greatest albums ever. Myself I like Earthling a lot, not sure why cause I'm not really kin of electronic music..

Ohh, and Hello Spaceboy... so awesome!!!!

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 08:38:29 AM »
If you are a Bowie fan, definitely pick up the Station to Station re-release. It is worth it for the Live at Nassau Coliseum 1976 live set (not quite the full show as apparently the drum solo was cut, but from what I understand everything else is there). I don't have as much Bowie as I should (only studio is Sts, also a couple of compilations and four or five live albums), but I do enjoy listening to him. He is a fantastic singer/songwriter.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 08:41:43 AM »
Thanks for the recommendation. Station to station is one of the few I'm missing.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2014, 10:23:50 AM »
One of my greatest guilts in all of music is that I don't like DB as much as I would like to.

He's seems so tailor made for who I am as a person, and I have like 8 of his albums, but I just for the life of me haven't fallen in love with his work like the way I've fallen in love with Rush, or Genesis or King Crimson, or peter Gabriel.

I believe I shall now explore his entire catalogue in an attempt to remedy this.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2014, 11:27:04 AM »
I haven't heard anything of David Bowie's aside from a few songs here and there. What's the easiest album to get into?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2014, 11:43:49 AM »
I haven't heard anything of David Bowie's aside from a few songs here and there. What's the easiest album to get into?

I've been chasing that dragon for the better part of 2 years now. He's is so all over the place, that you could end up hating one album and completely miss something more obscure that you might actually really love.

Maybe rise and fall of ziggy stardust. or Hunky dory. Maybe Space oddity as well. And if your feeling really ambitious, check out Low. Its one of Reznor's favorites. (which is what led me to it)

The problem is that he's just got so much stuff, and its all different.

Here's some songs though that I really like:

1. Life on mars
2. The stars (are out tonight)  -New song
3. Andy Warhol
4. Song for bob dylan
5. Space oddity
6. Ziggy Stardust
7. Subterraneans  :'(

So much more to explore though.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 01:46:30 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2014, 03:16:19 PM »

Maybe I'll sample a bit from each album and if I get something that strikes me I'll listen to the whole thing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2014, 07:34:07 PM »
Appreciates Bowie as an actor. Especially in The Prestige and his cameo in "Zoolander".

Could never ever get into any of his music at all. :emo:

I've been meaning to give " The Next Day " a try because it's modern and the newness of it might make it more palatable.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2014, 08:18:03 PM »

Could never ever get into any of his music at all. :emo:

That right there is how I've felt for the last 3 years. I feel like I really should like his music, but its just not there as much as I feel it should be.

There are a handful of songs I can get down with though, so at least there's that.

and off of The Next Day, I would recommend The Stars (are out tonight). Solid and accessible.  :tup

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2015, 02:03:47 PM »
New Studio album " Blackstar " out Jan 8th.

7 tracks. 10 minute Title Track.

This Might NOT be the new artwork  :biggrin:

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2015, 06:58:03 PM »
I liked The Next Day. I'll pick this up. Unless they pull that deluxe edition shit again. Might wait a few months.  :lol
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2015, 04:57:30 AM »
I absolutely adored The Next day, but this will be a weird one.  :lol

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2015, 02:13:12 PM »
Bowie is one of those people I've always known I'd love but have never gotten into. I've heard Ziggy Stardust, but only once. Also, I think he is the reason I kinda dig androgynous-looking dudes  :lol
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2015, 02:16:25 PM »
His music is astill varied as his fashion styles. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2015, 09:58:20 PM »
Well, Blackstar, the 10-minute title track to David Bowie's new album, has been released. As you might expect, it's weird as all hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kszLwBaC4Sw

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2015, 11:14:56 PM »
Well, Blackstar, the 10-minute title track to David Bowie's new album, has been released. As you might expect, it's weird as all hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kszLwBaC4Sw

Love it. I guess "Sue" is on this album as well. Probably the only Bowie album I've been hyped about, ever...

... except Outside, which I REALLY love. One of the most underrated in his vast discography. Not a throwaway song on it.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2015, 01:25:11 AM »
The new song is tremendous, it left me absolutely speechless.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2015, 04:17:50 AM »
Love the track and video. One of my favorite tracks of the year so far.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2015, 09:31:15 AM »
New album coming out next week. So far, I have only heard Lazarus and I really like it. I look forward to checking out the rest of the album when it comes out.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Robert Fripp in dispute with David Bowie’s estate
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2019, 07:43:56 AM »
Interesting.  This Bowie thread started before the other one (link) and also has more recent posts, but the other thread has more posts in it.  But this one was first, so I'll post here.

Robert Fripp in dispute with David Bowie’s estate

Basically, Fripp played guitar on some of Bowie's best stuff (Heroes, Fashion, etc) and everyone knows that, but Bowie's estate refuses to recognize him as a featured player.  I don't know what a "featured player" is, but it sounds maybe like someone more important than anonymous session guy but not a regular member of the band.  Of course, Bowie had many bands over the years, some that were somewhat stable for a while, but there was never a "David Bowie Band" or anything official.  Even The Spiders From Mars was pseudonym for Bowie's band at the time, which only lasted a short while anyway.

Interesting that the word "money" never comes up in the article, nor does the word "royalties".  I can't help thinking that this has to do with money, but Fripp is Fripp so maybe not.  Maybe it really is about art and proper recognition.  Or maybe because both sides know damned well that mentioning money weakens your argument.  People will go "of course... it's all about the money" and any sympathy you had until that point is gone.

----------

Fripp calls the lack of recognition from the PPL “an historic injustice” and adds: “Rules are not God-given laws to maintain the universe – they are created by people to organise and facilitate interactions in a fair and equitable fashion, which, in the nature of things, can never be exactly foretold.

“So, with intelligence and goodwill, where the rules do not allow for what is right to be acknowledged and addressed, the rules are modified to take exceptional / novel situations into account."

Fripp says that in his opinion, the correct approach for the PPL would be to change the rules “to match what is right.”

----------