Author Topic: I find it near impossible to get into music before the 90s.  (Read 11073 times)

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: I find it near impossible to get into music before the 90s.
« Reply #70 on: January 09, 2011, 05:22:24 PM »
Your problem is your idea that music should sound its best on your headphones.  This is simply not true.

Modern music is made to sound decent on headphones, because of digital music, itunes, mp3s, etc.  But none of that existed back then.  It was designed to be played through speakers.  There is no comparison between good music from the 70s played through a stereo system and modern music played as an mp3 through headphones.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
Re: I find it near impossible to get into music before the 90s.
« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2011, 05:40:45 PM »
Most of the time I never consciously take note of what decade the music I'm listening to is from. Not meaning to sound hippy but it's all just notes on a page to me. I admit I do love the 70s warm and dynamic production. If anything, back then is when you couldn't fake or fudge your skill level, because there was no hiding behind any sort of sophisticated production or electronic effects (auto-tune et al). But I love the 00s just as much as the 70s; good music is harder to find, but there is more of it I'd generalize. I'm sure there is 60s, 70s, 80s music that will appeal to anyone, somewhere out there, but it does take some effort to locate (as it's not always the most popular stuff).
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.