Author Topic: I find it near impossible to get into music before the 90s.  (Read 11069 times)

Offline Ħ

I find it near impossible to get into music before the 90s.
« on: January 08, 2011, 03:42:15 PM »
There are so many wonderful talented musicians that have shaped modern music into what it is today.  The birth of rock and roll.  The birth of hard rock.  The birth of heavy metal.  I have heard so many great things about artists from The Beatles to Led Zeppelin to Rush.

Naturally, I let my piqued curiousity get the better of me, and I broke down and started listening to all these different bands that have influenced my favorite modern bands.

But one thing bores me to death and kills my interest: sound quality.

Before the 90s, I notice that the sound quality is really quite muddy.  I believe it's the same reason WDADU doesn't get many fans.  I do not understand the engineering behind it at all, so forgive my pedestrian observations.  All the sounds are really not crisp when compared to modern music.  The vocals always sound like someone is speaking through a telephone.  The guitar just sounds dirty.

The balance between the left and right channel is all wrong for me--clearly the engineers did not have headphones in mind.  Sure, the mixes sound just fine when blasted through a car stereo, but once I pop headphones in, the balance is just awkward--loud electric guitar isolated in the left channel, and vocals in the right.

Now, I went to the Roger Waters concert this year.  It was really special.  For those who were there, you will remember that Run Like Hell is extremely loud.  But the simple crispness of live quality made the song sound so smooth, defined, and....metal, for lack of a better word.  We listened to the album on the way home from the concert, and when Run Like Hell came on, I noticed a kind of fuzz or "radio quality" that really diminished the song for me.

I really would like to get into these monumental bands like Zeppelin and the Beatles...it is just so hard because of the quality.  I am sure they are/were quite skilled live but for some reason I can't dig the shoddy radio sound quality...

It's gotten to the point where I consider cover versions even better than the original.  For example, compare DT's Queen medley on the second disk of BCASL, timestamp 1:10-3:10.  The sound is just so much more full than the original.

I really wish I was born in the 50s or 60s so I would be able to appreciate this without being spoiled by the quality of modern music.  Anyone else got this problem?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
Re: I find it near impossible to get into music before the 90s.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 03:46:12 PM »
Can't say I do at all. Admittedly, most of my top 10 bands are from the last 20 or so years, but a lot of my favourite individual songs date back to the 1800s, so I dunno if that's just me. And sound quality doesn't really bother me in most genres, as I got into music through Green Day and crappy pop songs it feels more like a treat when something sounds really good than a standard.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 03:48:54 PM »
The warmth of music from the 70s is much better than the cold digital production today, imo.

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 03:49:57 PM »
The warmth of music from the 70s is much better than the cold digital production today, imo.

Also this. I'm not even a huge Fleetwood Mac fan and Rumours is easily the best produced album I've ever heard.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 03:50:09 PM »
I'm just going to say this without reading your post, based on the thread title:

Are you Sonata?
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 03:50:27 PM »
I feel a bit the same to be honest.
Not entirely, because i do love some older stuff, The Beatles and Neil Young for example, but i do feel like i can't get into bands like Pink Floyd, King Crimson and Rush (i like Rush, but not as much as i would) because of the sound/production/whatever.

Even though i'm missing out, i still feel like the last 20 years or so has brought the best music. (obviously this is MY opinion)

Offline jsem

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 03:53:52 PM »
Really. Sound quality?

I personally don't hear much of a difference in sound quality from the like 70s-80s to now. Earlier there was more of a problem, like listening to old Count Basie & old Ellington stuff you notice that the sound quality isn't comparable to the modern sound. It still doesn't bother me though, I just really like the music.

I was just listening to some Supertramp tracks and I really can't see how you can complain about the sound quality.

Give me a few examples of what you mean. I'll help investigate this massive problem. :P

EDIT:
Actually. This.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 03:55:02 PM »

Also this. I'm not even a huge Fleetwood Mac fan and Rumours is easily the best produced album I've ever heard.

:tup Agreed. The vinyl of Rumours is perhaps one of the greatest things I have ever heard.

Also, WDADU is just a poorly produced/mixed album. It sounds like that because thats all the band could afford at the time.

Offline jsem

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 03:57:52 PM »

:tup Agreed. The vinyl of Rumours is perhaps one of the greatest things I have ever heard.

Also, WDADU is just a poorly produced/mixed album. It sounds like that because thats all the band could afford at the time.
Same problem with all the early Fates Warning albums. Terrible producing/mixing, but the songs are good so you don't wanna turn it off even though it's drowned in reverb.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 04:00:15 PM »
jsem, try to listen to Led Zeppelin IV through headphones.  It's skillful yes, and it sounds marvelous when blasted through speaker or a car radio, but through headphones it loses a lot of fullness.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2011, 04:02:11 PM »
Anyone else got this problem?
No. All the bands and songs you describe as sounding 'shoddy' sound fine to me. Maybe some Led Zeppelin has that 70's-60's production style to it, but it's not noticeably bad.

jsem, try to listen to Led Zeppelin IV through headphones.  It's skillful yes, and it sounds marvelous when blasted through speaker or a car radio, but through headphones it loses a lot of fullness.
Then listen to it through your stereo.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2011, 04:07:20 PM »
I agree completely with the original post.

It's probably just what you're used to. If you were around back then or have always listened to old music, it probably won't matter for you.

But I feel the same way about a lot of things from before around 1990. Particularly with the vocals.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2011, 04:08:12 PM »
jsem, try to listen to Led Zeppelin IV through headphones.  It's skillful yes, and it sounds marvelous when blasted through speaker or a car radio, but through headphones it loses a lot of fullness.
Then listen to it through your stereo.
Hmmm I suppose that might be necessary. But it still doesn't solve the problem of how well they captured the sound of the instrumental instruments.  For example, Robert Plant's voice has a great timbre to it, but its sound of the recording sound like he is speaking through a telephone. (whereas with JLB for example, it sounds like he is in the same room as you)

Offline jsem

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2011, 04:16:50 PM »

I can see what you mean, and I'm not digging JP's (:neverusethis:) guitar tone on some of the tunes. I can also agree with it being very raw and yeah now that I think of it I see the huge differences from this to modern production. And as said Led Zep does have the raw "60's-70's" production to it.

Still it doesn't take away from the musical efforts. And certainly doesn't make the MUSIC bad. Either you like the music or you don't. I can freaking listen to a Robert Johnson tune and even though the recording methods are from the stone age the emotion shines through and I no longer care about the producing/mixing crap.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2011, 04:21:41 PM »
Still it doesn't take away from the musical efforts. And certainly doesn't make the MUSIC bad. Either you like the music or you don't. I can freaking listen to a Robert Johnson tune and even though the recording methods are from the stone age the emotion shines through and I no longer care about the producing/mixing crap.
Oh I absolutely agree.  I am not bashing the musicians in either their skill level or creativity.  I am just saying it is like eating a really stale slice of chocolate cake that used to be great.  You still get the flavor, but unfortunately it feels very dirty and gross.  You have great respect for the baker, but not too much for the people that forgot to put it in the fridge.

Offline jsem

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2011, 04:24:30 PM »
Is this true for pretty much ALL music pre-1990ish? Or just in general for you.

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2011, 04:24:37 PM »
Oh I absolutely agree.  I am not bashing the musicians in either their skill level or creativity.  I am just saying it is like eating a really stale slice of chocolate cake that used to be great.  You still get the flavor, but unfortunately it feels very dirty and gross.  You have great respect for the baker, but not too much for the people that forgot to put it in the fridge.

I do agree with you there, specifically on Led Zeppelin, who's production I absolutely hate, but still, I don't see how this could actually stop you from getting into the music; if it's good enough, I'll happily listen on a crappy Youtube pull.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2011, 04:29:04 PM »
Is this true for pretty much ALL music pre-1990ish? Or just in general for you.
Just in general.  I like the production quality on most PF albums starting with DSOTM.  Queensryche is also an exception.

Offline jsem

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2011, 04:34:10 PM »
For me it's the opposite. Led Zeppelin is an exception that I do think the production takes away from the sound a bit - but not much. I usually NEVER think about the production/mixing unless I really listen carefully or it's so bad that it disturbs the listening. There are few albums that do that with me from 70-89 period. I don't like Stones either when it comes to the production - though they've written some killer music.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2011, 04:47:38 PM »
I actually understand where all your complaints are coming from, but I don't find most of them a problem myself. There is a minority of older music where the production quality can get in the way of me enjoying it (this is the case with some King Crimson and the live swing/early jazz I've heard), but most of the time, that "vintage" sound is better to me than how I imagine the music might sound were it rerecorded. If you took a Sabbath song and got people to play every instrument tomorrow exactly as it was played on the album, I would still prefer the originals.

A lot of modern music with completely up-to-date production, despite all the clarity in the world, sounds terribly flat, plastic and glossy, like you're listening to one polished layer of sound that only covers the surface of a great possible depth. Older production was about recording natural sounds; modern production often seems to be about recording sounds, running them through software, and ridding them of their natural qualities, because for some reason, those natural qualities are now undesirable. For example, compare the drum sound on Led Zeppelin IV to Systematic Chaos, and tell me which one sounds more like a drumkit.

This probably doesn't help you at all, but listen to some jazz studio albums from even as early as the mid '50s. Crystal clear production. Having said that, we're talking about acoustic music there, which makes a huge difference, unless I'm mistaken.

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2011, 04:53:12 PM »
I agree with OP, maybe 100%, the soundquality can sometimes really kill the music

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2011, 05:18:41 PM »
It's never been a problem for me, though I can definitely understand the headphones complaint with some albums.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2011, 05:56:57 PM »
BH, any examples for the headphone imbalance thing?  I know that's the case on Jimi Hendrix's 'Angel', for sure.  I think that's just cos he loved the acid though and was being trippy. 

I think at the end of the day, if a song is really has any emotion, it would cut through regardless of the audio quality.  Thinking back to delta blues musicians and guys like Son House, their songs are timeless because of the emotion behind them; even if they do sound like they were recorded through an ass trumpet.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2011, 08:45:13 PM »
Is it just me or is it when I blast Black Dog, Rock And Roll, Stairway, Four Sticks, and Levee on my headphones, they sound brutally awesome?

Offline Ħ

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2011, 08:48:14 PM »
Is it just me or is it when I blast Black Dog, Rock And Roll, Stairway, Four Sticks, and Levee on my headphones, they sound brutally awesome?
It might be because you're blasting it.  It's the same concept as playing in an outdoor theater--they blast the music to take care of acoustic problems.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2011, 08:52:57 PM »
just my opinion, but music today I feel is overproduced, take after take until they get it perfect, perfect balance, perfect timing, I much more prefer the older, rawer sounding records
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2011, 08:55:41 PM »
I think a clear, clean production has it's place, and a raw and dirty production has it's place.  Can't say if I prefer one, because my liking of either depends on the context of the song/artist.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2011, 08:57:22 PM »
BrotherH, you are the reason Steven Wilson is so mad about iPods.  :P  

I will admit, there are some earlier rock artists have trouble when listened to through headphones (Eleanor Rigby, I'm looking at you), but that wasn't what they were intended for.  There wasn't a lot of portable listening in those days.  You had your turntable, the amp, the speakers...just comparing the vinyl of Houses of the Holy to my CD version is night and day.  Its a much fuller sound.  Not how most listen to music now, but now they have remastered versions that are a bit more suited to the modern listener, which don't really have the sound quality old records have.  BUT, because not being able to get into old music like that is such a crime, I'm going to recommend you try the remastered versions.  Or get a turntable and build up an old vinyl collection (more expensive).  Honestly I have no idea what about 60s/70s/80s sound quality bothers you, or how it sounds "muddy," because I've never had a problem with it.  Hell, rock music really started to sound "muddy" in the 90s, IMO.  

But really you should ignore all my rambling and listen to Fluffy Lothario.

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2011, 09:00:54 PM »
I can understand your POV OP. I find it kind of hard too, but moreso with rock music.

Any other types of music besides rock sound just fine, no matter the era. Probably just because of the differing productions
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2011, 09:03:08 PM »
It might be because you're blasting it.  It's the same concept as playing in an outdoor theater--they blast the music to take care of acoustic problems.
No, it was a figure of speech.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2011, 09:04:02 PM »
 Honestly I have no idea what about 60s/70s/80s sound quality bothers you, or how it sounds "muddy," because I've never had a problem with it.  Hell, rock music really started to sound "muddy" in the 90s, IMO.

Funny, cause I actually agree with this. I think mostly because thats the direction the musicians wanted to take their music in, but the production on a lot of 90s albums is much more "muddy" sounding than anything from the 70s or 80s.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2011, 09:44:57 PM »
Before the 90s, I notice that the sound quality is really quite muddy.  I believe it's the same reason WDADU doesn't get many fans.  I do not understand the engineering behind it at all, so forgive my pedestrian observations.  All the sounds are really not crisp when compared to modern music.  The vocals always sound like someone is speaking through a telephone.  The guitar just sounds dirty.

That type of production has way more character than any new styles of production.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2011, 10:01:07 PM »
I'm just going to say this without reading your post, based on the thread title:

Are you Sonata?

First thing I thought of as well.

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2011, 10:03:37 PM »
Well, production's great and all, but what matters is the heart that people put into their music. There are very few things that are better than 70's Yes and Rush.

Are you Sonata?

First thing I thought of as well.

Me too.
Sonata, you have an Indie Rep. (oxymoron?)

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2011, 10:16:46 PM »
Are you Sonata?

Nope. I have no trouble with the sound quality of those days, really.

I just have a big thing for more modern underground music as it turns out. It's not that I can't or won't get into music from before the 90's, it's just that I'm 2 indie 4 u