Author Topic: The Official Football (Soccer) Thread (v. It's starting again!)  (Read 202371 times)

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Football (Soccer) Thread (v. It's starting again!)
« Reply #2100 on: July 15, 2018, 11:37:07 AM »
At 36, is it too late for me to be a professional football player, get my Croatian citizenship and win the next world cup? Cause I really wanna hug the Croatian president. I've got four years to do it! It'll be a grand success story if I can make it happen.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #2101 on: July 15, 2018, 11:43:35 AM »
I have been watching world cups since 1972. This has been the best one ever. Congrats France. They are going to be a power to be reckoned with the next 10 years.

Congrats Croatia. What a talented a fun team.

and yeah, I would more than hug the Croatian president hehe

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #2102 on: July 15, 2018, 12:02:37 PM »
I hope she's not the president in 4 years.

Anyways, I'm really proud to be Croat right now, they played some of the best football in competition and with some luck they might have won it. Second place is an awesome success, the best in Croatian football. I just hope we won't need to wait another 20 years for another semi ;)
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2103 on: July 15, 2018, 02:50:19 PM »
The UK pundits were adamant that it shouldn't have been a penalty because the ref just couldn't have been certain that it was deliberate. But I'm sure I remember the rules (or perhaps the interpretation) changing a number of years ago such that handballs like that where the hand moves to the ball and it affects/disrupts play are a foul whether clearly intentional or not.

I personally don't think it should have ben a call for a penalty. The referee hesitating to make the call and watching it multiple times (and even walking back to the VAR) is case in point I think. That said; it was a good game definitely and however much I would have liked Croatia to win, the French were far more effective in their attacks. The only thing that's a bit sour though was that France was leading 2-1 at half-time with only one shot on goal.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #2104 on: July 15, 2018, 04:21:08 PM »
I will be remembering the moment when I looked down to put my glass on the table for 2 seconds and missing the silliest goal in WC finals history, geez Lloris, did so fucking great the whole tournament :lol I'm glad for him that it didn't end up being a fatal mistake.

I really think the penalty decision could have been a coin toss, it's a really tough decision and could easily see both sides. Surprised no one has mentioned the 1-0 that was scored through a free kick that was given for a super obvious Griezmann dive.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #2105 on: July 15, 2018, 06:41:11 PM »
The UK pundits were adamant that it shouldn't have been a penalty because the ref just couldn't have been certain that it was deliberate. But I'm sure I remember the rules (or perhaps the interpretation) changing a number of years ago such that handballs like that where the hand moves to the ball and it affects/disrupts play are a foul whether clearly intentional or not.

The pundits in Canada, who are all British, said the same thing. One of them is former English referee Howard Webb, whose opinion would hold more weight that most in this matter.

I thought Croatia were the better team today, but France were the best team in the tournament overall.

Apparently the fools who invaded the pitch during the match were the band Pussy Riot. Guess they’ll be cooling their heels in jail again.  :o

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2106 on: July 15, 2018, 11:41:54 PM »
Congrats to France. They were the more effective (and more lucky) team in the finals and the better team regarding the whole world cup.

And it was an entertaining final, not the boring and tactical match I feared for.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2107 on: July 16, 2018, 01:29:00 AM »
I had login issues and couldn't comment in real time.

Already when it was 2-1 it was the "goallest" (most goals scored) final since 1998, when France won 3-0, then we got a 2-0, a 1-1 and two 1-0 in overtime in a row.

I'm actually checking Wikipedia to remember - it was 1966 the last time we had 6 goals in the final, when England defeated Germany with the same result of yesterday, 4-2.

Karius' revenge did strike again however, I agree that the 4-2 was the silliest goal ever in a World Cup final  :lol

Things to be happy about France's victory:
- A 19 years old kid scoring in the final
- Racists whining that France has too many black people

Everything else is despair, including the historical inaccurancy of the frenchies reaching Moscow AND winning. This team is better than Napoleon dammit  ;D

Anyway, it was an absolute great World Cup, one of the best ever. I fear the next one will be the worst ever.

Now, what do we talk about now that it's all over?  :'(
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #2108 on: July 16, 2018, 01:36:45 AM »
Karius' revenge did strike again however, I agree that the 4-2 was the silliest goal ever in a World Cup final  :lol

Karius' first name is Loris, the french keeper's name is Lloris -> NUGGETZ  :biggrin: :metal :biggrin:

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2109 on: July 16, 2018, 02:00:59 AM »

I thought it was fantastic.

Euro 2020 in two years? I seriously can't be bothered with club football, but these World and European Tournaments somehow get me watching almost every game.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2110 on: July 16, 2018, 03:53:51 AM »
I agree, I love football of course but I'm no fanatic (I went to the stadium only once) and club football is kinda boring.... if I say Bayern Munich, either Real Madrid or Barcellona, Manchester City, PSG and Juventus will win their 2018-2019 domestic leagues, how much wrong can I be?

Champions League is already more interesting, but yeah, nothing can beat the fascination of the World and Euro cup, it's fun to have allegiances to other teams born on the spur of the moment (or looking back for historical issues between the nations), and of course feel the ultimate thrill of your national team competing in a do or die situation.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2111 on: July 16, 2018, 05:52:06 AM »
Not sure about City winning again, the Premier league is a grinder. The other ones are probably going to go that way though.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2112 on: July 16, 2018, 07:46:59 AM »

I'm trying to get into MLS, anyone here follows?
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #2113 on: July 17, 2018, 04:07:06 AM »
Saw the final in France, actually. Contrary to expectation, I was watching the game in a hotel/restaurant lobby with nearly no French spectators at all (mostly Dutch or German). Also, when the game ended and France had won the cup NO big celebration party. I'm like WTF?! When Holland would've won the cup wherever it was, people would have gone bazerk and got totally wasted drunk. It was a fun WC nonetheless. Totally bogus penalty off course, but yeah. Also, that Torrential rain during the cup presentation reminded me a lot off the end of the Ali-Foreman fight in '74 in Kinshassa, Zaire. Just an observation.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2114 on: July 17, 2018, 01:52:00 PM »
Also, when the game ended and France had won the cup NO big celebration party.

I thought there were huge crowds gathered at the Arc de Triomphe and the Champs-Elysees. I saw live pictures on Youtube. They projected things onto the Arc.

Also, those saying 2022 will be a bad World Cup...didn't we all think Russia 2018 was going to be terrible? All the Russians would be racist and there'd be violence and stuff? And didn't we think that Brazil 2014 would be terrible, with late stadiums? Let's at least get there and see what happens. Sport has this amazing power to transform a nation.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #2115 on: July 17, 2018, 11:50:52 PM »
Correct!  There were huge parties (and riots, AND cases of females being violated, mind you) in Paris.
The expectations beforehand were indeed that it would be an atrocious (i.e. behaviour of Russian 'fans') and racism et al. I've witnessed none of that all. If anything the atmosphere in the stadiums looked nothing but joyous (especially with Sout-American and African fans). If it wasn't for that small Pussy Riot-pitch invasion, the organisation would've been flawless.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2116 on: July 18, 2018, 03:18:07 AM »
I'm yet to see the match because I was in the birth room of the hospital for the arrival of my daughter hahaha!
No regret, but still proud of our team and couldn't be happier.

Happy to read accurate critics, to feel the joy around, and to have a break from the usual egoism and racism.

Salty players are so funny, feels like trump tweeting.

Croatians must have been tired of the very long and demanding matches they fought before the final.
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2117 on: July 18, 2018, 03:37:25 AM »
What makes me happy is the triumphant's hero welcome the croatian player received upon coming back home.

Let's face it, the final it was doomed from the start - France was simply better and more experienced and with 3 extra times in a row Croatia literally played 90 minutes more AND had one day less to rest, it's already good that it ended "only" 4-2.

Usually in football the second place is the worst right behind arriving last, maybe this will help to put things into perspective, that even arriving at the end is a great achievement all things considered. Of course Croatia's second place is different than an hypotetical brazilian or german second place.

And congratulations for the birth of your daughter!  :tup

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #2118 on: July 18, 2018, 03:55:03 AM »
Usually in football the second place is the worst right behind arriving last, maybe this will help to put things into perspective, that even arriving at the end is a great achievement all things considered. Of course Croatia's second place is different than an hypotetical brazilian or german second place.

Depends on where you come from. Germany's third place in 2006 was much more appreciated than the second place in 2002, because they played with fire and passion, same goes for the third place in 2010, where they played even better and were just fun to watch. In 2014 a third or second place might not have gone down that well, because by now everyone expected them to win the thing.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2119 on: June 25, 2020, 04:36:48 PM »
As a huge Liverpool fan, I can’t express how happy I am tonight. Our first league championship in 30 years. Thank you Juergen and the boys.

Premier League Champions, European champions, world champions.

:heart

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #2120 on: June 25, 2020, 05:18:57 PM »
Congratulations, Lowdz.

Liverpool has always killed my AS Roma, but no other team deserves success like this particular one. A real joy to watch.

Happy for Momo and Alison.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2121 on: June 26, 2020, 05:30:30 AM »
As a huge Liverpool fan, I can’t express how happy I am tonight. Our first league championship in 30 years. Thank you Juergen and the boys.

Sounds like a good excuse to listen to Dropkick Murphys' version of You'll Never Walk Alone  :D

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #2122 on: August 14, 2020, 12:04:22 AM »
Any thoughts on the Champions League results from the past couple of days? Couldn't believe RB Leipzig knocked out Atletico today, total surprise for me. Wasn't surprised PSG edged past Atalanta, but I was certainly sad to see them go out despite having the lead for 80% of the game.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 12:30:39 AM by Heretic »

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2123 on: August 14, 2020, 01:09:44 AM »
Yeah, Atalanta was the ultimate underdog and having them reach the 89th minute with a foot in the semifinal and being surpassed is brutal.

It would have been awesome to have Leipzig vs Atalanta for the final, one big underdog would have reached it..... and probably lost it  :D I think Leipzig vs PSG will decide who'll have the honor of losing the final, but with this crazy format and matches nearby who knows what can happen!

Personally I root against the biggest teams, as an AC Milan fan I want the big clubs to stay the hell away from our 7 cups, bested only by Real Madrid.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2124 on: August 14, 2020, 01:47:57 AM »
I've always had immense satisfaction out of watching Atletico lose, like more satisfaction than I get when I see my favorite team win.
Speaking of my favorite team; I feel positive about Bayren tomorrow. Well, more than positive, but I don't wanna jinx it heh

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2125 on: August 14, 2020, 05:55:38 AM »
Surely it's City's year to win it though? No PL title and to me the other potential big teams like Barcelona or Bayern just don't feel as good this year compared to some previous years.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2126 on: August 14, 2020, 07:34:01 AM »
As much as I hate them, I think Bayern have the advantage. Barcelona is a shadow of itself, City and PSG usually crumble in decisive matches and Leipzig is just too much of an underdog.
I really like this world cup style where 1 match means everything. Normally I am in favor of an NBA style of tournament where you get several matches to really show who is the best, but the excitement of the one match elimination is just brutal.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2127 on: August 14, 2020, 07:58:50 PM »
That was some brutal shit..

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2128 on: August 15, 2020, 04:11:05 AM »

Yah, Bayern Munich went full Germany - Brazil 2014. You never go full Germany - Brazil 2014.

I think if we have been warned from the future that one of these matches would have ended 8-2, everyone would have imagined it would have been PSG vs Atalanta.....

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2129 on: August 15, 2020, 12:44:05 PM »

Yah, Bayern Munich went full Germany - Brazil 2014. You never go full Germany - Brazil 2014.

I freakin love you dude!  :lol, believe it or not; I had the same thought after the match!
I actually became a Bayren fan after the 2014 world cup, before that I didn't favorite any one European team, I just went by whomever's performance I liked in whatever tournament I was watching at the time. Then came 2014 and I was simply fascinated, then I realized that team was like 85% Bayren; Neuer, Schweinsteiger, Müller, Lahm, Götze and Boateng. Today remains three of them but somehow they retain the same spirit and shape new comers into their likeness, that strong team-oriented behavior. I don't just like their playing, I've come to be a fan of their attitude on a off the pitch.
That's why earlier in this thread I was saying I want Toni Kroos to move back to Bayren.

I think if we have been warned from the future that one of these matches would have ended 8-2, everyone would have imagined it would have been PSG vs Atalanta.....

Agreed. I also feel it's gonna be up for grabs if it comes to PSG and Bayren in the final. PSG have been pretty good.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2130 on: August 15, 2020, 03:23:41 PM »
Surely it's City's year to win it though?

Yeah, about that.....  ;D

At this point I expect anything to happen. Gut feeling says that Bayern Munich is gonna win it easily, and won't even have to sweat for it, but with this crazy format of single matches all nearby, who knows.

It's France vs Germany in the semifinals then! will we have a mixed final or it's gonna be a national derby?

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #2131 on: August 15, 2020, 10:52:22 PM »
Surely it's City's year to win it though? No PL title and to me the other potential big teams like Barcelona or Bayern just don't feel as good this year compared to some previous years.

Didn't quite age well, hahah. I would love to see a Leipzig v Lyon final, that would be unprecedented, at least within the last ~10 years.

Barcelona were in absolute shambles though. I am one of the biggest fans of Messi - he's the absolute undisputed GOAT for me, and I was utterly stunned by that performance. The board has left the team a shell of its former self, with a squad that is far too old, and a coach that has literally no business at the helm of one of the best teams in the world. The performance was spineless, lacking of character, and devoid of any semblance of spirit. People blame Messi for not leading his team to victory out there, or getting to the grit and vocalizing to his teammates, but honestly, I really don't believe as though there was much he could've done. The backbone of the team is made up of players who can't press consistently, can't defend, and lack stamina. At 5-2, you could just see that any minute bit of hope had been relinquished by the team, but I never imagined eight goals being scored. It was embarrassing, and I hope not just the team takes full credit for that, but the board, the coaching staff, and the entire hierarchy. It needs to be uprooted from its rotten core.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 10:57:27 PM by Heretic »

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2132 on: August 16, 2020, 02:09:03 AM »
There's no team I dislike more than City so I'm thrilled they got eliminated though. I think Pep deserves a lot of criticism honestly. For having possibly the best team (and all the backing in the world) he hasn't gotten City past the quarter final of CL once in his 4 years at the club. Even Pellegrini had better success.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2133 on: August 21, 2020, 09:17:37 PM »
In my crystal ball I see a tie and penalty kicks on Sunday, I hope it's an inaccurate crystal ball though heh

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2134 on: August 22, 2020, 01:07:52 AM »
In my crystal ball I see a tie and penalty kicks on Sunday, I hope it's an inaccurate crystal ball though heh

I dunno, PSG has Neymar and Mbappč, Bayern Munich is on a roll. My imaginary money would be on the latter.

Anyway, after this sunday we'll know if Paris or Munich will have a spike in Covid contagions a week from now  :D