Author Topic: The Official Football (Soccer) Thread (v. It's starting again!)  (Read 202395 times)

Offline The Trooper

Re: The Official Football (Soccer) Thread (v. It's starting again!)
« Reply #1505 on: May 04, 2017, 01:11:55 PM »
yeah, I think its a lock. just hope Juventus kick Real ass

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #1506 on: May 09, 2017, 02:55:36 PM »
Another standard day at the office for Juventus. Solid game. May be the best defensive unit in decades.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1507 on: May 30, 2017, 01:06:50 AM »

My brother called me two weeks ago and told me he had a second ticket for the Pokalfinale in Berlin, Dortmund (my team) vs Eintracht Frankfurt. Looked at the airfares, and decided to chance it. Absolutely incredible experience. Apparently 300k wanted a ticket, only 20k (on the Dortmund side) got one. The Olympiastadion is massive (75k People), and I celebrated deep into the night.  ;D
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1508 on: May 30, 2017, 01:31:38 AM »
Congrats on winning the cup.

Although my favorite team is 1. FC Köln I always liked Borussia Dortmund. Probably because most of the relatives from my father's side of the family live there and I spend a lot of time in Dortmund.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1509 on: May 30, 2017, 01:45:27 AM »
While I'm happy for Huddersfield Town getting promoted to the Premier League yesterday, I'm slightly baffled as to how they managed to do it. Their goal difference for the season was -2, yet they still got enough points to finish 5th, and get into the playoffs. Then, in the playoff semi-final, their only goal over the two legs was an own-goal. They got through that via a penalty shootout, with the game tied after extra time. And in yesterday's playoff final, it was 0-0 after 120 minutes, and they got through via penalties. They're like the Portugal at Euro 2016 of English domestic football.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1510 on: May 30, 2017, 05:59:59 AM »
I saw the Dortmund match and for a good portion of it thought it might go astray but luckily they pulled the win. Not so lucky is that Marco Reus will again be missing half a season due to injury  :-\
While I'm happy for Huddersfield Town getting promoted to the Premier League yesterday, I'm slightly baffled as to how they managed to do it. Their goal difference for the season was -2, yet they still got enough points to finish 5th, and get into the playoffs. Then, in the playoff semi-final, their only goal over the two legs was an own-goal. They got through that via a penalty shootout, with the game tied after extra time. And in yesterday's playoff final, it was 0-0 after 120 minutes, and they got through via penalties. They're like the Portugal at Euro 2016 of English domestic football.

That's crazy
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1511 on: May 31, 2017, 04:33:02 AM »
Soccer is weird that way. Vfl Wolfsburg, the team that got the Cup in 2015, and before that finished 3rd place in the league, two days ago barely escaped relegation.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1512 on: May 31, 2017, 05:52:56 AM »
Soccer is weird that way. Vfl Wolfsburg, the team that got the Cup in 2015, and before that finished 3rd place in the league, two days ago barely escaped relegation.

Yeah, not sure what happened there. I know not having Draxler anymore hurt them but I don't think he's that good a player that the team would completely suck without him. There were several things wrong with them this season but I'm sure they'll be able to do a better job next season.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #1513 on: May 31, 2017, 06:25:33 AM »
Wolfsburg did throw a lot of money out buying players but didn't look if they were really motivated to play for them (Draxler) or how they all would play together. It's just a patched up team with no real chemistry. They still shouldn't have ended that low in the league but I think once it goes bad most of the players don't really care, that team has no heart and no soul.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1514 on: May 31, 2017, 07:47:05 AM »
So, Champions League final coming up... who are you rooting for? Juventus vs Real Madrid

I root for AC Milan so I should be against Juventus winning, but AC Milan is still to this day the last team to have won 2 cups in a row, back in 1989/1990, I kinda like that the record still holds... I'll have to "hope" that Juventus wins, which means a lot of friends and coworkers going apeshit over it and me having to endure it all  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1515 on: May 31, 2017, 07:56:24 AM »
Juve no doubt. I detest Real Madrid, mainly because of Cristiano Ronaldo and Florentino Perez

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1516 on: May 31, 2017, 07:57:42 AM »
I have no stake in either team, so I'll watch with general soccer interest.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1517 on: May 31, 2017, 08:30:05 AM »
Juve no doubt. I detest Real Madrid, mainly because of Cristiano Ronaldo and Florentino Perez
Me, too. And I'd like to see Buffon finally take that crown :D
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1518 on: May 31, 2017, 09:32:19 AM »
Me, too. And I'd like to see Buffon finally take that crown :D

Yeah, I really want that too. he deserves it more than any other player.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1519 on: May 31, 2017, 09:45:38 AM »
I don't care at all for Juventus but I agree that Buffon holding the Cup would be a very nice sight, and the icing on the cake of a stellar carrer.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online RoeDent

« Reply #1520 on: May 31, 2017, 10:06:08 AM »
Pretty cool to have the CL final in my home country. I live about an hour away from the stadium. I'd like Juve to win it, but because of that I think Real will end up doing what Real do and win it.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #1521 on: June 03, 2017, 06:11:21 AM »
Juventus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1522 on: September 02, 2017, 05:40:47 AM »
You could tell there's a lot of Bayern players in the German team. They can play like shit the whole game, but somehow still eek out a win. I'll take it though, it keeps the clean sheet! :lol

US game, I didn't see it, but from all the accounts I've seen it must have been horrid, with the US deservedly losing the game. I think from here on it's all must-wins, which frankly I don't think will happen. A bummer, because a non-qualifying US will mean nobody will watch the WC here.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1523 on: September 02, 2017, 09:48:12 AM »
Watching Croatia vs Kosovo today, should be easy win for Croatia but I'm kinda used to poor matches despite the lead on the group table :-\
I saw highlights from Brazil and some of the France match, and both teams are deservedly favorites for next year's WC. It's too early to say, of course, but I like to make these kind of assumptions :D
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Online RoeDent

« Reply #1524 on: September 06, 2017, 01:03:15 AM »
... France ... are deservedly favorites for next year's WC.

What, the same France who were held to a 0-0 draw by the minnows that are Luxembourg?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1525 on: September 06, 2017, 07:45:57 AM »
Because I'm in Sweden right now, the USA Honduras game was too late for me to watch. However, I happened to wake up during half time and put on a quick stream. But, with the score to that point and what I saw for 5 minutes, I went back to bed. That was abysmal playing.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1526 on: September 12, 2017, 11:45:50 PM »
After fifteen years, Feyenoord returns to the Champion's League tonight to face Manchester City. Excited!
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #1527 on: September 15, 2017, 05:31:50 AM »
My favorite team made it's first european game after a 25 year absence. Cologne against Arsenal.

I was very excited but sadly both my fears came true. My team lost and some of the so called fans caused a lot of trouble in London.  >:(
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 06:49:32 AM by Kwyjibo »

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1528 on: September 15, 2017, 05:33:53 AM »
I sympathize with Cologne only because the town has a massively awesome cathedral  :metal

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1529 on: September 15, 2017, 07:48:52 AM »
As a Dortmund fan, I am actually rather pissed right now. The game against Tottenham was so marred by bad reffing, it changed the entire game. A foul that wasn't called that then resulted in a Tottenham goal, and a wrong offside call that resulted in a disallowed Dortmund goal.
Why the fuck doesn't UEFA use VAR?

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1530 on: September 15, 2017, 08:56:49 AM »
As a Dortmund fan, I am actually rather pissed right now. The game against Tottenham was so marred by bad reffing, it changed the entire game. A foul that wasn't called that then resulted in a Tottenham goal, and a wrong offside call that resulted in a disallowed Dortmund goal.
Why the fuck doesn't UEFA use VAR?

Becuase it's the most important tournament and the VAR system is still on trial so until they figure out how to best apply it they're not using it for this competition. I'm also a Dortmund fan and I'm pissed off at the referee but let's be honest, Tottenham played well and they deserved the win regardless of the mistakes.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1531 on: October 11, 2017, 06:16:28 AM »
Well, yesterday was such a loooooong hard day but fortunately for us we have Saint Messi on our side. This was one hell of a qualifying, so many things were done wrong and I think we deserved to be left out but football is such an unpredictable sport.

And I can't believe how the US lost yeterday against Trinidad & Tobago, I still can't grasp that. I guess Klinsmann leaving really hurt the team

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1532 on: October 11, 2017, 07:42:53 AM »
Glad for you then! Even though I must confess that when you're not involved personally, I don't know if it's just me, you kinda develop a sympathy for the underdogs, and a mild amusement at the fails of the top team.

For example, I have no reason to care for Iceland but seeing them winning their own group after such a brilliant performance at the Euro Cup gave me a smile. And at the same time, nothing against Argentina of course, if they had been left out I would have had a "Ha-ha!" Nelson-esque moment.

Same thing should have Brazil failed, of course.

Anyway, it was thrilling to see such possible outcomes intertwined, these possible scenarios and triumph and defeat being so close it's one of the fascinating things of soccer.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1533 on: October 11, 2017, 07:46:23 AM »
I totally agree, if we hadn't made it I would have rooted for Iceland and I probably will unless they have to face us

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1534 on: October 11, 2017, 07:49:42 AM »
Well, Iceland will already be one of my alternative teams to root for alongside Italy. Whenever there's a World Cup I usually pick 4-5 teams to root for - Italy, Germany (I've been there many times and I really love the atmosphere and the old timber houses) and the underdogs, like Iceland, Honduras, Trinidad and Tobago when they qualified etc, those kind of teams that you know they're doomed but you can't help cheering for them  :D

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1535 on: October 12, 2017, 01:07:28 AM »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #1536 on: October 12, 2017, 02:37:38 AM »
Even though I must confess that when you're not involved personally, I don't know if it's just me, you kinda develop a sympathy for the underdogs, and a mild amusement at the fails of the top team.

It's not just you, I'm from Germany, so I root for them, but other than that I always like the underdogs to go far and I have more than mild amusement when some of the favorites stumble and fall. Or don't qualify at all, looking at you Netherlands  :biggrin:.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1537 on: October 12, 2017, 02:05:05 PM »
And I can't believe how the US lost yeterday against Trinidad & Tobago, I still can't grasp that. I guess Klinsmann leaving really hurt the team

I still can't fathom that 14 of the 23 on the roster were 30+. Like, Tim Howard is freaking 38, is that really the best goalie the US has? Looking at the two Trinidad Goals, IMO they were both entirely defendable.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1538 on: October 12, 2017, 03:21:31 PM »
I don't even like soccer, but Taylor Twellman is my new favorite sports commentator. This is the best sports take I've heard in years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iGllo9E-iw

And since Hitler has already been apprised of the situation, here's my second favorite rant about it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUx8JC_lp-o
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 03:32:46 PM by Cool Chris »
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1539 on: October 13, 2017, 06:28:27 AM »
I don't even like soccer, but Taylor Twellman is my new favorite sports commentator. This is the best sports take I've heard in years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iGllo9E-iw

And since Hitler has already been apprised of the situation, here's my second favorite rant about it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUx8JC_lp-o

Love the first one, not the second one. While I agree with what he says I'm more used to those being funny, not serious.