Author Topic: The Official Football (Soccer) Thread (v. It's starting again!)  (Read 202434 times)

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Re: The Official Football (Soccer) Thread (v. It's starting again!)
« Reply #1645 on: June 16, 2018, 05:52:46 PM »
Not an ounce of interest in soccer! More boring than watching regular season baseball.
Sometimes like 4 hrs of running around and no one scores . Basketball you have a ball that's a couple inches smaller than the hoop , all you use is your hands and they throw it in all night long , from anywhere, no problem ... Soccer you have a ball close to the size of a basketball, you have to get it in a goal as big as a 2 car garage , you can use everything except your hands, and yet no one gets it in there for hours if at all...

Uhhhh what?? :lol
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1646 on: June 16, 2018, 07:59:15 PM »
Denmark/Peru was great today!  That play by play guy was awesome, and seeing Peru miss on so many great chances made for some great drama.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1647 on: June 17, 2018, 09:40:09 AM »
El Tri looking very good...

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1648 on: June 17, 2018, 10:00:58 AM »

FUK YEAH
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1649 on: June 17, 2018, 10:16:54 AM »

FUK YEAH

I'm off today, but I'd imagine absolutely dick is getting done in the kitchen right now  :rollin

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1650 on: June 17, 2018, 10:51:47 AM »
Mexico!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1651 on: June 17, 2018, 10:52:39 AM »
Awwwwwwwwww yeah!!!!! Hell of a win for Mexico!!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1652 on: June 17, 2018, 10:53:41 AM »
Germany - Mexico was a treat

Not that I like to see Germany lose, because I think they're a great team, but Mexico completely killed them in the first half. Their second half playing was good, but it wasn't enough (obviously). This will make for a very interesting group.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1653 on: June 17, 2018, 11:33:43 AM »
This is history. Germany had not lost an opening match since the 80s.

Mexico is going nuts right now.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1654 on: June 17, 2018, 11:44:23 AM »
Not an ounce of interest in soccer! More boring than watching regular season baseball.
Sometimes like 4 hrs of running around and no one scores . Basketball you have a ball that's a couple inches smaller than the hoop , all you use is your hands and they throw it in all night long , from anywhere, no problem ... Soccer you have a ball close to the size of a basketball, you have to get it in a goal as big as a 2 car garage , you can use everything except your hands, and yet no one gets it in there for hours if at all...

And you really felt you had to barge in here and say that? Really?!!  :facepalm:

Great result for Mexico! Shows Germany won't have it all their way this time round. Now let's see how Brazil, another apparent favourite for the tournament, do against Switzerland.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1655 on: June 17, 2018, 12:04:27 PM »
Way to let my german flag being unused  :lol

Well, it's not that Germany didn't try, but Mexico did all they had to do against them. A well deserved win!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1656 on: June 17, 2018, 12:22:50 PM »
This is history. Germany had not lost an opening match since the 80s.

Mexico is going nuts right now.

I can only imagine, part of me is bummed I'm not with the vatos at work. Congrats bro, arriba!!!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1657 on: June 17, 2018, 01:03:06 PM »

And you really felt you had to barge in here and say that? Really?!!  :facepalm:

I rarely agree with you, man, but these were my exact thoughts when I saw that post. :lol

I skipped Germany - Mexico thinking that would be a cakewalk for Germany. Shows how much I actually know.

Guess I'll watch England playing tomorrow, the other two games don't look that interesting.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1658 on: June 17, 2018, 02:31:54 PM »
Well that was shit. Mexico sure deserved the win. Now I fear Germany takes the same route of the last couple of defending world champions and not make it out of the group stage.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #1659 on: June 17, 2018, 02:38:47 PM »
Well, none of the so-called "big teams" have shown up in their opening matches.

France won, but only just.
Brazil, Argentina and Spain drew against sides they should probably be beating.
Germany, defending champions, lost to Mexico.

I know these are only the first games, but this World Cup is anyone's for the taking.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1660 on: June 17, 2018, 03:16:57 PM »
For comparison: all the top 4 of Brazil 2014 won their debut match.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1661 on: June 17, 2018, 05:42:16 PM »
The celebration of Mexico's goal caused an earthquake in Mexico City...

https://nypost.com/2018/06/17/mexicos-world-cup-goal-shakes-soccer-and-the-earth/

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1662 on: June 18, 2018, 01:03:38 AM »
I know these are only the first games, but this World Cup is anyone's for the taking.
I had to work yesterday and missed the last 2 games of the day, so bummed! :-[ but this quote is what makes me so excited for this year's world cup.

If we've learned anything from the past few tournaments, it is that the first game of a world cup isn't always extremely indicative of a team's performance for the rest of the cup. Buuut it definitely made things more interesting that literally none of the big teams have gotten the performance that they would be satisfied with (I'd assume, I mean, I don't think France was even too satisfied with that game against Australia even though they did get away with 3 points).
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1663 on: June 18, 2018, 02:11:53 AM »
Too early to tell after one match, but... if Mexico does well and Germany finishes second in the group, it's Brazil vs Germany at the round of 16. Assuming Brazil can win their group.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #1664 on: June 18, 2018, 05:23:13 AM »
It certainly means the big teams absolutely must step up in the next games in order to save themselves from the embarrassment of failing to make it out of their group. Next round of games will be absolutely critical.

Meanwhile, I'd like to apologise in advance...we've put it off as long as we can...but I'm afraid England are playing tonight.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1665 on: June 18, 2018, 05:36:35 AM »
So when all the big ones fail, this may be England's chance.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1666 on: June 18, 2018, 06:03:06 AM »
Assuming Brazil can win their group.

After that wonderful tie against Switzerland (which, admittedly, wasn't really justified - a 2-1 win would have been the logical conclusion), I'm not exactly sure they can. Switzerland didn't play brilliantly, though they were good at holding off Brazil, but Brazil lacked some serious finishing power.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1667 on: June 18, 2018, 06:04:26 AM »
Watching the Sweden game at work right now (I have two monitors at my desk).
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #1668 on: June 18, 2018, 07:37:06 AM »
Kind of a meh game. Sweden needs these 3 points in the game

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1669 on: June 18, 2018, 07:55:40 AM »
We didn't play a great game at all, but we got 3 points which was what we needed. I just really hope the players will grow for the next game cause Forsberg was invisible and our strikers are below par for what you would expect in a world cup.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1670 on: June 18, 2018, 09:42:42 AM »
Throwing it out there: how would you solve the penalties dilemma? it's often said that it's unfair and too much random that penalty shoot outs can decide a final, be it a World Cup or even a Champions League one, and there are possible alternatives on how to avoid penalties.

What would you do?

As for me, as wacky as it might sound, I'd have after the extra time the game going on, but with one player less. Each time an action ends for whatever reason, each time takes off another player, making it 9 against 9, 8 against 8 and so on. The list of how players should go out should be decided beforehand. Eventually you're left with just the goalkeeper and most likely an attacker, and the first one who scores wins.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #1671 on: June 18, 2018, 09:51:41 AM »
Belgium needs to step up and put this team away.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1672 on: June 18, 2018, 09:53:07 AM »
If there has ever been a tournament for England to shine it's this one, ANYTHING GOES

Seriously, this is turning out like the most exciting world cup I've witnessed, if any of the later games will be this close/unpredictable

I expected Belgium to be disappointing because of their form lately, but come on it's fucking Panama, what's going on.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1673 on: June 18, 2018, 09:53:46 AM »
Throwing it out there: how would you solve the penalties dilemma? it's often said that it's unfair and too much random that penalty shoot outs can decide a final, be it a World Cup or even a Champions League one, and there are possible alternatives on how to avoid penalties.

What would you do?

As for me, as wacky as it might sound, I'd have after the extra time the game going on, but with one player less. Each time an action ends for whatever reason, each time takes off another player, making it 9 against 9, 8 against 8 and so on. The list of how players should go out should be decided beforehand. Eventually you're left with just the goalkeeper and most likely an attacker, and the first one who scores wins.

That would totally devolve into a circus on the pitch. The ref would constantly have to interrupt the game to send two players off.

But, on the topic of rule changes, I don't know what the solution is, but I wish "parking the bus" wasn't such a viable strategy. It robs the game off any nice buildup and goals either happen on a fast counter, or as a result of clusterfucks with 20 people in the box.

EDIT: Maybe something like that defenders aren't allowed to be in the other half, and the same for strikers.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #1674 on: June 18, 2018, 10:06:37 AM »
I'd get rid of extra time full stop and go straight to penalties after 90 minutes. If they can't settle it in 90, they deserve the "lottery"...

1-0 Belgium

...of the penalty shootout.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1675 on: June 18, 2018, 10:38:05 AM »
The coach of Panama is such a mess :lol in the 60th minute he used 2 of his substitutes to swap offensively while behind 1-0, with THIRTY MINUTES REMAINING

not saying Panama had much of a chance, but if you want to go full offense and your team looks as exhausted as Panama's does, I'd not do it two-thirds into the game when you are clearly the inferior side. Wouldn't surprise me if Belgium score 1 or 2 more within the last 12 minutes.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #1676 on: June 18, 2018, 10:55:03 AM »
SOLID second have by Belgium. They are going to be a team to be reckoned with.

Bring on the England game next

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1677 on: June 18, 2018, 12:21:16 PM »
But, on the topic of rule changes, I don't know what the solution is, but I wish "parking the bus" wasn't such a viable strategy. It robs the game off any nice buildup and goals either happen on a fast counter, or as a result of clusterfucks with 20 people in the box.

EDIT: Maybe something like that defenders aren't allowed to be in the other half, and the same for strikers.

Well, one could counter argue by saying that if you have enough supplies to last for months, why you shouldn't wait out the siege hidden away in your castle rather than meeting the invading army in the open field? because a battle is funnier than a siege?  :lol

Ok, maybe the example is a bit extreme, but you have to manage with what you have. Is it boring? yes. Is it annoying when lesser teams from the get-go play for a scoreless draw since it's the best case scenario? hell yeah. But I don't fault Iceland for example for clinging to a more than precious draw against Argentina. "Live to fight another day" applies also to football.

About penalties, after reading an article about possible changes, I've changed my mind. I like the proposed idea of having the penalties BEFORE extra time, and use the penalties as tiebreaker only if a team doesn't win in the extra time. Sure, this is definitively the mother of all bus parking situations, but hey, on the other hand you'd see a team attack with nothing left to lose, and if you fared better at penalties, you should be allowed to play to keep the draw.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #1678 on: June 18, 2018, 02:24:20 PM »
Wow! England really put us through the wringer tonight! I mean, they really should have done better with the first-half chances they created; should easily have been 4-0 up at half-time. And absolutely ridiculous officiating! The push on Kane in the Tunisia penalty box was tons worse than what actually gave Tunisia the penalty up the other end. Anyway, a win's a win, and that's England's first win at a World Cup in 8 years. Hopefully they can get a result against Panama on Sunday and not have to rely on getting one against Belgium in the final game.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #1679 on: June 19, 2018, 06:11:20 AM »
having my morning coffee with Columbia and japan.

wow Japan 1-0