Author Topic: The Official Football (Soccer) Thread (v. It's starting again!)  (Read 202419 times)

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Football (Soccer) Thread (v. It's starting again!)
« Reply #1610 on: June 15, 2018, 01:11:53 PM »
2-2 Costa!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #1611 on: June 15, 2018, 01:13:01 PM »
LOL. Costa again. Holy shit. What a goal and game.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #1612 on: June 15, 2018, 01:17:02 PM »
Nacho!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a goal. Holy crap................................... WHAT A GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hefdaddy

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1613 on: June 15, 2018, 01:17:59 PM »
Unbelievable.
You can say that again.. this game :metal :metal
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1614 on: June 15, 2018, 01:19:44 PM »
Blows my mind that these two teams have to play each other first and Russia got handed a cupcake opponent.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1615 on: June 15, 2018, 01:24:02 PM »
Blows my mind that these two teams have to play each other first and Russia got handed a cupcake opponent.
One strange rule they have in the world cup is that the host gets put in the first seed group automatically, so almost all of the time, group A is a very weak one relatively, like this year with Uruguay and Russia as the equivalents to Spain and Portugal

Saudi Arabia is 4th seed so they're the equivalent to I think Iran of group B, all groups have fairly weak teams honestly
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #1616 on: June 15, 2018, 01:24:44 PM »
you would think this was a world cup final

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1617 on: June 15, 2018, 01:26:11 PM »
One strange rule they have in the world cup is that the host gets put in the first seed group automatically, so almost all of the time, group A is a very weak one relatively, like this year with Uruguay and Russia as the equivalents to Spain and Portugal

Saudi Arabia is 4th seed so they're the equivalent to I think Iran of group B, all groups have fairly weak teams honestly

Except when the Host is a good team. Last time Brazil got an interesting group with Croatia and Mexico in it.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #1618 on: June 15, 2018, 01:26:51 PM »

Exactly right.

But after all is said and done, usually the best teams get out of the group stage. Then the singles games are brutal

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1619 on: June 15, 2018, 01:39:43 PM »

Except when the Host is a good team. Last time Brazil got an interesting group with Croatia and Mexico in it.
Yeah that's what I meant with almost, but The Trooper is also right, it's not that big of a deal to me as most of the knock-out games are great match-ups anyway, even with teams like Costa Rica last world cup in the quarter finals, they came so far that they have proven that they are worthy at that time and can still put up great games against the big teams.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #1620 on: June 15, 2018, 01:41:31 PM »
Agree with Train.

Spain has this one tho. Portugal is wasted from chasing Spains passing.

lol ok scratch that. F'n Ronaldo,

I am not a fan of Ronaldo but all I will say is ............................... maybe the greatest ever.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1621 on: June 15, 2018, 01:46:14 PM »
He did it again

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1622 on: June 15, 2018, 01:47:10 PM »
And I hate how FIFA sets this up. I would select the top 32 teams in the world.....or 31 and the host but even then I'd have the hotbeds hosting.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #1623 on: June 15, 2018, 01:48:03 PM »
Despite a great goal by Ronaldo, De Gea did another brain fart on that.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #1624 on: June 15, 2018, 01:51:21 PM »
And I hate how FIFA sets this up. I would select the top 32 teams in the world.....or 31 and the host but even then I'd have the hotbeds hosting.

I tend o agree, but it comes down to $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

The greatest financial and most attended world cup was in the United states in 1994, FIFA is a business, So money talks.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #1625 on: June 15, 2018, 01:53:39 PM »
As a fan of soccer for over 40 years (yea I am old at 51), I love the game. This was a great game.

One of the greatest games in World Cup history
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 02:01:23 PM by The Trooper »

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1626 on: June 15, 2018, 02:03:22 PM »

I tend o agree, but it comes down to $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

The greatest financial and most attended world cup was in the United states in 1994, FIFA is a business, So money talks.

I think they'd make more money if they had a legitimate tournament..... bribes and other bs non-withstanding.

Offline Art

« Reply #1627 on: June 15, 2018, 02:11:47 PM »
CR7 is a beast.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1628 on: June 15, 2018, 04:03:19 PM »
CR7 is a beast.

The best of the world. He won at Manchester UTD, he won at Real Madrid, he won an Euro Cup while injured, and he always, always scores when needed.

I'd love to see a Portugal vs Argentina final for the ultimate Ronaldo vs Messi showdown - that could happen in the quarter finals if Portugal wins the group, or only in the final if Portugal comes second. Actually for Portugal it looks like it might be a little less difficult to qualify as second teams rather than winners, the winner gets Argentina in the quarter finals and likely Germany in the semifinals. The second of the group has France and Brazil instead. Of course this is all based on speculation and assuming the top teams will do their job.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1629 on: June 15, 2018, 04:13:26 PM »
CR7 is an incredible player, but I hate those one-man shows. The rest of the Portugal team is just a backdrop to Ronaldo. I'm obviously biased, but that's what I liked about Germany winning last time; it was a wholly collective effort, with no person particularly standing out.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1630 on: June 15, 2018, 04:17:26 PM »
CR7 is an incredible player, but I hate those one-man shows. The rest of the Portugal team is just a backdrop to Ronaldo. I'm obviously biased, but that's what I liked about Germany winning last time; it was a wholly collective effort, with no person particularly standing out.

Well, maybe I'll be biased on this as well, but if you want the ultimate collective effort, look at Italy in 2006: not the favorites, plagued by corruption scandals that would send the top team into the lower category, in every match scored always a different player with the top scorers being a forward and a kinda dickish defender with only 2 goals each, and the most crucial man (wonderful goal against Germany and decisive penalty against France in the final) was mr. "Who the hell is this guy and which team does he even play in".
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1631 on: June 15, 2018, 04:20:41 PM »
True, true. With the only caveat that I FUCKING HATE ITALY :lol
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1632 on: June 16, 2018, 01:26:36 AM »
Why's everyone moaning about the World Cup featuring teams from all over the world? That's how it should be. If it was the "best" 32 teams, it would be the Europe/South America Cup, not the WORLD Cup. I bet young fans from so-called smaller countries will be inspired seeing their team go out and play on the world stage, even if it's just for the 3 games of the group stage. Every team who is there has earned the right to be there.

Anyway, in more positive news, today's the big bumper day! FOUR games, no less! Games kicking off at 11:00, 2:00, 5:00 and 8:00 UK time! A bumper feast of the beautiful game!

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1633 on: June 16, 2018, 01:39:18 AM »
Great Cup so far! Can't wait to see how well my Croatians will do against Nigeria. They are objectively better, I hope they don't play like shit as they did in friendly match against Senegal last week. Also will be checking France (one of my favorites) and Argentina today. Peru vs Denmark might be good match as well but I'll probably be out around that time.
About Cristiano... I don't want to sound like hater but I still think he isn't that good of a player to be called best in the world. I mean, he scored 3 last night and that freekick was piece of art, impossible to stop but he didn't do that good. Even in Real Madrid, he is mostly just waiting for goal. Yes, he has unbelievable power and nose for goal but he's not one to take a ball and do something with it, create chances for his team mates. And I think the best player in the world should be able to do that.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1634 on: June 16, 2018, 02:55:40 AM »
Yeah i feel the same, he is a good player that gets his job as a striker done, but he didn't really create plays/chances, unlike Isco, Iniesta and Costa did this game. Still though, really good striker but would never call him the best in the world

Croatia are one of my favourite teams to watch, but Nigeria is one of the teams I kind of predicted as a country to cause an upset, they do generally perform pretty well in the world cup and are in good shape. Thinking they might even get a point against the now fairly vulnerable Argentina too

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1635 on: June 16, 2018, 08:57:01 AM »
Behold the mighty Iceland!!!!  :metal awesome debut in the World Cup!

Ronaldo, 3 goals against SPAIN.... Messi, one missed penalty against Iceland   :biggrin:

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1636 on: June 16, 2018, 09:15:17 AM »
Why's everyone moaning about the World Cup featuring teams from all over the world? That's how it should be. If it was the "best" 32 teams, it would be the Europe/South America Cup, not the WORLD Cup. I bet young fans from so-called smaller countries will be inspired seeing their team go out and play on the world stage, even if it's just for the 3 games of the group stage. Every team who is there has earned the right to be there.
Completely agree! :tup

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1637 on: June 16, 2018, 09:30:03 AM »
Yeah i feel the same, he is a good player that gets his job as a striker done, but he didn't really create plays/chances, unlike Isco, Iniesta and Costa did this game. Still though, really good striker but would never call him the best in the world

I disagree to a point. What gets remembered more than anything is how many goals you score, not how many chances you create for others to score. It's a team game, yes, but individual performances stand out.

It's impossible to determine a single greatest player of all time across all of football. Club and international football are two different beasts. Ronaldo scored as many goals in one game last night as he did in the previous three World Cups. Last night was the first time he really stamped his mark on a single World Cup game, after 12 years of trying.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1638 on: June 16, 2018, 09:48:44 AM »
What I was saying was yes, Ronaldo was the person that stood out the most last game, so I was with you on that, but he didnt have the best performance on the field. I am not looking at who gets remembered more, but who were/could have been the best players of the game/tournament. There are a couple quantifiable factors you could use to measure someones performance, but in the end it comes down to who 'feels' like they had the best performance. If you still think that's Ronaldo, that's fair cause he honestly had a good game without a doubt, I just think several players on the Spanish side had a better game than he did.

I also don't think the relative improvement to his history in the World Cup should be a factor, I don't think players are better than they are just because their performance in the previous tournament was sub-par.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1639 on: June 16, 2018, 11:56:52 AM »
Iceland draws against Argentina, Denmark defeats Peru. Go nordic countries go!  :metal

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1640 on: June 16, 2018, 12:08:22 PM »
Fun fact I just noticed: not a single European team has lost in the 2018 world cup thus far

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1641 on: June 16, 2018, 01:12:07 PM »
Iceland - Argentina was awesome, Denmark - Peru... not so much. Peru really screwed up there by not scoring at any of the 100 chances they had in the last half hour. Argentina was just playing badly and not showing any interesting strategies whatsoever; it seems their focus is on Messi only, which can hardly be a good way to actually win a game.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1642 on: June 16, 2018, 03:07:02 PM »
Argentina was just playing badly and not showing any interesting strategies whatsoever; it seems their focus is on Messi only, which can hardly be a good way to actually win a game.

Especially when Messi isn't decisive as Ronaldo. The game passes through Messi's feet.... they all close in around him and nothing happens. If Dybala and Higuain would have been on the field as well, they can't chase around them as well.

Hell, even Wolverine attracted all the attention on himself so that Beast could defeat Magneto in an X-Men movie, just have someone else good at doing mayhem in the area there if Messi is inevitabily surrounded by defenders.

Offline TheRich13

« Reply #1643 on: June 16, 2018, 03:32:58 PM »
Not an ounce of interest in soccer! More boring than watching regular season baseball.
Sometimes like 4 hrs of running around and no one scores . Basketball you have a ball that's a couple inches smaller than the hoop , all you use is your hands and they throw it in all night long , from anywhere, no problem ... Soccer you have a ball close to the size of a basketball, you have to get it in a goal as big as a 2 car garage , you can use everything except your hands, and yet no one gets it in there for hours if at all...
My parents are in the Iron and Steel business.
My Mother irons and my Father steals.
There are more horse’s asses in the world, than there are horses.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1644 on: June 16, 2018, 04:41:22 PM »
Not an ounce of interest in soccer! More boring than watching regular season baseball.
Sometimes like 4 hrs of running around and no one scores . Basketball you have a ball that's a couple inches smaller than the hoop , all you use is your hands and they throw it in all night long , from anywhere, no problem ... Soccer you have a ball close to the size of a basketball, you have to get it in a goal as big as a 2 car garage , you can use everything except your hands, and yet no one gets it in there for hours if at all...

That's why a soccer goal is about a hundred times more exciting than a made shot in basketball.