Author Topic: The Official Football (Soccer) Thread (v. It's starting again!)  (Read 202417 times)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Football (Soccer) Thread (v. It's starting again!)
« Reply #1470 on: July 12, 2016, 03:46:26 AM »
I don't really like and follow Serie A (or whatever it's called), but Napoli is one of the coolest teams there in my opinion.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1471 on: July 12, 2016, 03:59:31 AM »
Serie A is to avoid like the plague for people who don't like defensive football. The lesser teams know they can't defeat the big ones and all they can hope for is a draw, so from the get go they play for the 0-0 since it's their best scenario anyway.

Teams that has a champion go through anyway, those who don't have one get stuck in the 0-0 and they lose points along the way.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Eldomm

• Metropolis chemist
« Reply #1472 on: July 13, 2016, 12:20:38 AM »
Serie A is to avoid like the plague for people who don't like defensive tactical football.

Fixed for you! ;)

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1473 on: July 20, 2016, 02:00:31 PM »
Apparently Sam Allardyce is being offered the England National Team. How is it that a guy that has won 373 games, drawn 255 and lost 328 as a manager gets to coach a national team? What is the FA thinking?
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1474 on: July 20, 2016, 02:59:00 PM »
Apparently Sam Allardyce is being offered the England National Team. How is it that a guy that has won 373 games, drawn 255 and lost 328 as a manager gets to coach a national team? What is the FA thinking?

To be fair he's good at getting results with mediocre teams, so he should fit right into England.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1475 on: July 20, 2016, 04:38:15 PM »
Mario Gomez is packing his bags at Besiktas, because of the political situation. Can't say I blame him.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Eldomm

• Metropolis chemist
« Reply #1476 on: July 20, 2016, 11:47:26 PM »

To be fair he's good at getting results with mediocre teams, so he should fit right into England.

Same kind of choice was taken for Italy with the appointment of Ventura...

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1477 on: July 21, 2016, 01:06:15 AM »
The problem with Ventura I guess is that there was no one else willing or avalaible.

The team is not so great right now, the pay is what it is, so there was not exactly a line of winning and avalaible coaches begging to take the post...

Why would, for example, Ancelotti coach Italy once in three months when he gets way more money by training weekly one of the best teams in football right now (Bayern Munich) having a live experience in Germany where he didn't play or train yet?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1478 on: July 21, 2016, 06:22:43 AM »

Look at the chart in the as a manager section in the link below, his win percentage is just awful. The only place where I can say he did a decent job is Bolton. If England is trying to get better I don't think they're going the right way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Allardyce

Same kind of choice was taken for Italy with the appointment of Ventura...

Yep, another awful choice. I hate when countries try to get a coach from their own nationality regardless of how good or bad he is. I think both England and Italy would benefit from an international coach that could introduce new concepts.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1479 on: July 21, 2016, 08:08:16 AM »
What's weird is that now with Big Sam out, David Moyes is the prime candidate to take over Sunderland, and even he would have been a better choice for the England job. Not saying he would have been great, but what he did at Everton for 10-15 years is more impressive than what Big Sam has done.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1480 on: July 21, 2016, 08:47:03 AM »
I don't know the guy who is set to train the english team, but I imagine the candidates weren't exactly queueing up to get the job. The a-level guys go somewhere else, where they can earn more money and probably more fame too. So you have to work with the ones who are left over and still willing to do the job.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1481 on: July 21, 2016, 09:52:13 AM »
I don't know the guy who is set to train the english team, but I imagine the candidates weren't exactly queueing up to get the job. The a-level guys go somewhere else, where they can earn more money and probably more fame too. So you have to work with the ones who are left over and still willing to do the job.

The England job is arguably the biggest manager you can take out of the international teams, a country that sees themselves as "the home of football", Premier League - the league to rule them all, and a situation where people have screwed up badly before, so if you pull it off, you'll become a legend there. I think their problem is that they've had some bad experiences with foreign managers (Capello, Sven Göran Eriksson), and if you look at their national choices, there's not a lot of good names from the English isles. Brendan Rodgers would have been a great choice, but he signed for Celtic. They should have fired Roy before the Euros and gotten Rodgers when they could. If they want to avoid the foreign name and get someone from the isles, there's just not that many good to pick from anymore. I think Eddie Howe is an exciting name with the future in front of him, but he's not ready yet. Pardew is not a tactician and wouldn't have been a good choice.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1482 on: July 21, 2016, 11:02:06 AM »
Hate to be a downer, Zantera, but outside of England, at this point nobody really sees England as the nexus of football. Sure, the EPL is the most competitive and commands the highest salaries, but English soccer, i.e. without all the foreign players and coaches, is considered mid-tier. England has not won an international competition in 60 years, and as I saw someone on Reddit say, "getting out of the group stage is par for the course for England, anything more should be considered over-performing".

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1483 on: July 21, 2016, 12:02:20 PM »
Hate to be a downer, Zantera, but outside of England, at this point nobody really sees England as the nexus of football. Sure, the EPL is the most competitive and commands the highest salaries, but English soccer, i.e. without all the foreign players and coaches, is considered mid-tier. England has not won an international competition in 60 years, and as I saw someone on Reddit say, "getting out of the group stage is par for the course for England, anything more should be considered over-performing".

A mixture of nationalities in the league is what makes many of the top leagues. PL is arguably the toughest and most competitive out of the league, even if a league like Bundesliga is stronger if you look at the amount of good german players. But put the league aside, England still has great players, they've just lacked a good vision and a manager to pull it off. Sure, it's a cursed job to take, but if you pull it off, there's a lot of reward.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #1484 on: July 22, 2016, 12:07:15 AM »
I'm more on rumborak's side here. England is mid-tier at best and I don't see anything that will change that in the near future. There just aren't enough high level english players, or I haven't seen them yet. They pride themselves as the home and the inventors of football but they severely lack in raising national talents. As almost all of the premier league clubs have a shitload of money at their disposal they buy the players that they need from other countries. No need for raising young talents at the risk of them not evolving as planned.

Every top manager may have a high motivation to take over one of the top clubs in the premier league. But the national team just doesn't have that appeal for top managers, so you have to look for second best or unconventional solutions.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1485 on: July 22, 2016, 01:06:08 AM »
I think managing a national side just doesn't have the same appeal as a club period. Look at who Spain announced yesterday, an even weaker choice than Big Sam, and that's Spain we're talking about. The top tier of managers seem to prefer managing a club and it's not hard to see why. Unless you really love your country and have a dream to coach your own national team, managing a national side comes down to a handful of games every year, and then the occasional tournament where you have 2 weeks of having to perform your best. There's a lot of sitting around in between games and I can understand managers not liking that. Even a top manager like Conte seemed to change his mind right away after becoming Italy's coach, or at least be very open about it only being for a short period of time.

So I don't think it's just England, I don't think the best managers (with a few exceptions) want to coach a national team period. Spain getting a coach who was fired from Porto after 1 ˝ year and has only coached youth teams before, and England getting a manager with the greatest achievement being to avoid relegation really says a lot about what kind of managers want the national team jobs.

EDIT: the big sam appointment reminds me of this quote from Seinfeld:
"You know what message you're sending out with those sweatpants? You're telling the world, 'I've given up. I can't compete in normal society. I'm going to lose, so I might as well be comfortable."
 :lol
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 01:24:09 AM by Zantera »

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #1486 on: July 22, 2016, 01:46:17 AM »
Yeah, managing a national team is not necessarily the dream of every manager. And I think in most cases there's less money involved and you can only win something every two years and that is very very hard, even if you coach one of the absolute top teams.

On the other hand, if you succeed as national coach your name is immortal. I think everyone will remember Joachim Löw for years as the coach who won the world championship with Germany. I'm not sure that many know how he suceeded as club manager before.

And you probably need some other talents as national coach than as club manager. You have to work with the players you're given, you have to work out a tactic that works with them. You can't just buy the players you need for your system. So I'm not sure if the top club managers would really succeed as national coaches and vice versa.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1487 on: July 22, 2016, 02:53:32 AM »
I'm more on rumborak's side here. England is mid-tier at best and I don't see anything that will change that in the near future. There just aren't enough high level english players, or I haven't seen them yet. They pride themselves as the home and the inventors of football but they severely lack in raising national talents. As almost all of the premier league clubs have a shitload of money at their disposal they buy the players that they need from other countries. No need for raising young talents at the risk of them not evolving as planned.
Yep. Bloody immigrants! :P

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #1488 on: July 22, 2016, 03:05:50 AM »
Maybe the brexit is gonna change that. I read an article some weeks ago where it said that (because of reasons I didn't really understand and don't really remember) when the brexit comes, then a lot of the foreign players may not be allowed to play for english clubs anymore.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1489 on: July 22, 2016, 06:16:18 AM »
Yeah, managing a national team is not necessarily the dream of every manager. And I think in most cases there's less money involved and you can only win something every two years and that is very very hard, even if you coach one of the absolute top teams.

On the other hand, if you succeed as national coach your name is immortal. I think everyone will remember Joachim Löw for years as the coach who won the world championship with Germany. I'm not sure that many know how he suceeded as club manager before.

And you probably need some other talents as national coach than as club manager. You have to work with the players you're given, you have to work out a tactic that works with them. You can't just buy the players you need for your system. So I'm not sure if the top club managers would really succeed as national coaches and vice versa.

Not only that, as a national team manger you can only work with players for a limited amount of time, you need to teach them in a limited amount of time and that is extremely hard.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1490 on: July 22, 2016, 08:36:37 AM »
PL is arguably the toughest and most competitive out of the league, even if a league like Bundesliga is stronger if you look at the amount of good german players. But put the league aside, England still has great players, they've just lacked a good vision and a manager to pull it off.

As others have pointed out, I think that's more wishful thinking than anything else. Every soccer country has ups and downs, decades where you shine, and decades where you just suck. But, after 6 decades, there isn't all that much rational arguments left that somehow the players were there all the time, but the "vision" was missing. At some point I think you have to accept that while you may be hosting the top soccer league, your own players are rather mid-tier. It's a painful thing to hear, but Germany learned that lesson some time in the 90s and invested a ton in youth programs.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 08:45:00 AM by rumborak »

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1491 on: August 21, 2016, 12:12:25 PM »
Lewandowski was amazing, now he's getting phenomenal, I really hope he doesn't leave Bayren.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1492 on: November 30, 2016, 03:00:02 AM »
https://www.google.se/amp/m.firstpost.com/amp/sports/chapecoense-real-plane-crash-heres-what-we-know-about-the-brazil-football-tragedy-in-colombia-3130120.html?client=ms-android-samsung

What a tragedy, almost the whole team got killed but amazingly 3 players survived along with 2 crew members and one journalist.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1493 on: November 30, 2016, 03:34:24 AM »
Big tragedy :( RIP
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1494 on: November 30, 2016, 08:46:51 AM »
PL is arguably the toughest and most competitive out of the league, even if a league like Bundesliga is stronger if you look at the amount of good german players. But put the league aside, England still has great players, they've just lacked a good vision and a manager to pull it off.

As others have pointed out, I think that's more wishful thinking than anything else. Every soccer country has ups and downs, decades where you shine, and decades where you just suck. But, after 6 decades, there isn't all that much rational arguments left that somehow the players were there all the time, but the "vision" was missing. At some point I think you have to accept that while you may be hosting the top soccer league, your own players are rather mid-tier. It's a painful thing to hear, but Germany learned that lesson some time in the 90s and invested a ton in youth programs.

I'd agree with this. Ngland don't have the players, and when maybe we did our game just wasn't suited to international football where the best teams will keep the ball and play around you.
We got close and lost on penalties a few times, which comes down to bottle as we call it.

I don't see it changing anytime soon.

As regards the Premier League, it's about the only top league where the so called smaller teams aren't there as cannon fodder for the big teams. Barca don't lose to the bottom teams ever, same with Bayern. It happens in the PL all the time.
Unfortunately most of the best players are imported

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1495 on: November 30, 2016, 09:13:19 AM »
https://www.google.se/amp/m.firstpost.com/amp/sports/chapecoense-real-plane-crash-heres-what-we-know-about-the-brazil-football-tragedy-in-colombia-3130120.html?client=ms-android-samsung

What a tragedy, almost the whole team got killed but amazingly 3 players survived along with 2 crew members and one journalist.

Yesterday was a pretty sad day, every bit of news that came along was another little stab. There's been lots solidarity around here, the other team that was playing that final asked for Chapecoense to be named champion and lots of teams from different countries offered to lend them players at no cost so they could rebuild.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1496 on: December 12, 2016, 10:33:14 AM »
So, anyone tired of the same thing over and over in UCL? Barcelona and Arsenal always getting tough matches, Real Madrid always getting a weaker opponent... I think they need to change the system, aside from what I mention above, usually the same teams qualify each year and because of restrictions you end up getting the same matchups over and over, Barcelona-Arsenal, Barcelona-PSG, Arsenal-Bayern

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1497 on: December 12, 2016, 11:30:20 AM »
Meanwhile in Seattle, the Sounders won their first MLS Cup, and outside the small, but rabid, local fanbase, no one cares. Except my wife and her friends, some of whom are happier about this win than Super Bowl 48.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #1498 on: December 12, 2016, 11:37:20 AM »
So, anyone tired of the same thing over and over in UCL? Barcelona and Arsenal always getting tough matches, Real Madrid always getting a weaker opponent... I think they need to change the system, aside from what I mention above, usually the same teams qualify each year and because of restrictions you end up getting the same matchups over and over, Barcelona-Arsenal, Barcelona-PSG, Arsenal-Bayern

There's only a handful of teams that can win the UCL, so you're bound to have the same or at least similar pairings each year. All other teams are just there to prolong the tournament.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #1499 on: March 23, 2017, 08:49:47 AM »
Last night Germany defeated England 1-0 and Lukas Podolski had his last match for the german national team. Fittingly he scored the winning goal with his left foot, as he had scored probably 90 percent of all his goals.

He surely wasn't the best player Germany ever had but he had a special place in my heart. He emerged out of the youth of my favorite team (1. FC Köln/Cologne) in my hometown, I witnessed his first games in the Bundesliga and his rise to stardom in an otherwise very mediocre team. I followed his career when he went to Bayern München and later to Arsenal and Galatasaray. He always remained rooted in his hometown and he is still highly regarded here.

Why I'm writing this (and it could also be in the old as mold threat)? I feel kinda old knowing that I watched his whole career lasting for 13 years and he's the first one to retire where I know I've seen them from the beginning.

Where did the time go?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1500 on: April 27, 2017, 07:45:39 AM »
Heeejaaaaa BvB!!!

Woot. F**ck Bayern :D

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1501 on: April 27, 2017, 11:53:49 AM »
Heeejaaaaa BvB!!!

Woot. F**ck Bayern :D

:lol I can't tell you how much I feel like this, Go Dortmund!

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #1502 on: May 03, 2017, 12:24:14 PM »
So psyched for my Juventus game today.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1503 on: May 03, 2017, 02:01:25 PM »
So psyched for my Juventus game today.

I really hope they win. I detest Real Madrid and I think Buffon is long overdue for this trophy, the only major one he's missing

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1504 on: May 03, 2017, 02:10:47 PM »
Might as well scrap the return legs for this round. It's Juve vs Real anyway.