Author Topic: The Official Football (Soccer) Thread (v. It's starting again!)  (Read 203146 times)

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Re: The Official Football (Soccer) Thread (v. It's starting again!)
« Reply #1330 on: June 27, 2016, 02:18:34 AM »
Messi missed a PK, wow.

What's up with Messi and the National team? I always get the feeling that he is severly underperforming when playing with Argentina. Is it because they play that different from Barcelona and if it is, why can't a player of his caliber adjust to it?

Has he won anything of significance with Argentina? And now I read the he is retiring from the national team. Why? He's only 29, he can play at least the next World cup.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1331 on: June 27, 2016, 02:41:22 AM »
Come on MM, it's been 4 years ago, sometimes this kinda thing happens but as time tells everyone in this sorta position goes on to score a lot of goals.. I thought it was pathetic aswell but Italy would've done the same.

You can tell Germany stopped trying after 7 goals against Brazil, but it was not out of respect, they simply wanted to save some energy for the finals as theres only like 3 days inbetween those matches. I know Brazil technically weren't down any men but they obvioisly had some terrible mentality issues.

I am a massive Spain supporter and I know everyone despises them, but I have nothing but respect for the Italians and no matter how the game turns out I will still be. It just gets to me because when Holland defeated Spain all I did was congratulate people and I got a lot of fuck you's in return simply because they got beaten by Spain in the 2010 finals.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1332 on: June 27, 2016, 02:59:53 AM »
You can tell Germany stopped trying after 7 goals against Brazil, but it was not out of respect, they simply wanted to save some energy for the finals as theres only like 3 days inbetween those matches. I know Brazil technically weren't down any men but they obvioisly had some terrible mentality issues.

Yeah, I interpreted that as well as a breakdown. They went down early of one goal, and when the second goal happened, the idea that they might as well not reach the finals crushed them and in that moment anyone could have scored three other goals, even Costa Rica.

And yet, it was the first half of a semi-final. Germany had to annihilate them, to take advantage of the moment to make sure there would not have been a dramatic come back after having rested in the interval and with an entire nation cheering for them.  I may be biased but I find that a bit different than scoring not one but two late goals in a final already won, while the other team is in 10.

Uh well, it's not that I spent 4 years bloodthirsty for revenge, but since it's again Italy vs Spain at a Euro Cup, I thought I might as well remember that incident to be even happier in case somehow Italy gets out of this match as winner.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1333 on: June 27, 2016, 03:13:51 AM »
Yeah I understand the situation. Best of luck to you, I'll still be rooting for Spain but if Italy wins this game they're my favorites to win the tournament, I love their team.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1334 on: June 27, 2016, 03:47:16 AM »
I frankly don't understand this grudge. Sure it's disappointing when your team loses and even more so when you have to play with one player less. But what would one expect from Spain. To stop playing? To stop trying to score? And then Italy gets a lucky break, scores a goal and maybe gets a penalty in the last minute and suddenly the sure victory goes into overtime and the momentum swings away from Spain? Unlikely but not unheard of. (Bayern losing the championsleague final against Manchester due to two last minute goals, Germany leading 4-0 against Sweden in half-time and the game ending 4-4 and if the game would have been longer Sweden would have won, just as some examples).

If I can win, I play the game to win till the end and if I can win big I play to win big.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1335 on: June 27, 2016, 06:14:56 AM »
I'm totally neutral about first game but I think Italy will win.
In second I'm rooting for Iceland, they are my favorite team in competition right now.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1336 on: June 27, 2016, 08:38:09 AM »
All I want from the first game is quality to meet expectations. In other words, the opposite of Portugal-Croatia
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1337 on: June 27, 2016, 11:29:33 AM »
All I want from the first game is quality to meet expectations. In other words, the opposite of Portugal-Croatia

It's pretty quality so far, I'm enjoying it, even if I'm not a fan of both teams.

Really looking forward to England - Iceland though, I like both teams and I except some entertaining football.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1338 on: June 27, 2016, 11:34:04 AM »
This Copa America final has been wild so far. Terrible ref, great drama.

Go Argentina!

I don't even mind that we lost the final, but losing Messi is something I can't overcome...  :'( :'( :'(
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1339 on: June 27, 2016, 12:00:17 PM »
Messi hasn't been amazing in Argentina though. Plus there's great coverage on the attacking side. With players like Aguero and Higuain, goals will be scored.

Great that Italy won!

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1340 on: June 27, 2016, 12:13:41 PM »
Yes Italy deserved it and I'm very happy for them. Great team win and very entertaining.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #1341 on: June 27, 2016, 12:16:58 PM »
Italy played tactics at its best. Loved it! ;D

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1342 on: June 27, 2016, 12:22:54 PM »
Yeeeeeaaaaahhh Italy won!!! the dream goes on!!!

The European Champions are gone. The World Champions are next!!!  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1343 on: June 27, 2016, 12:28:25 PM »
Between Belgium and Spain, no one has been as impressive as Italy has against top competition. Germany should be the toughest of the lot, of course, but it's still mighty impressive, and all before The semis

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1344 on: June 27, 2016, 12:30:54 PM »
Yeah, the final will be anticlimatic. Either a massive victory from Italy / Germany / France / England, or these matches will wear the giants down and Belgium, Wales or Portugal will win.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1345 on: June 27, 2016, 12:32:03 PM »
I agree, Italy is definitely my favorite right now. Great game and it was exciting until the very end :metal still, can't help but feel a bit disappointed, especially in the first half where Spain were an absolute mess.

Germany vs. Italy is going to be fucking great.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1346 on: June 27, 2016, 12:57:00 PM »
Messi hasn't been amazing in Argentina though. Plus there's great coverage on the attacking side. With players like Aguero and Higuain, goals will be scored.

Great that Italy won!

First of all Messi has been outstanding with Argentina, he hasn't been able to reach his Barcelona level but then again, he's team mates are not at the same level so it's not surprising.
And regarding Higuain, he's missed clear goals in the last 3 finals we've played, he's one of the main reasons Argentina din't win any of those. And Agüero is another guy that's brilliant in his team but doesn't achieve as much in the national team.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1347 on: June 27, 2016, 01:09:06 PM »
Fuck, I miss the first five minutes of the game and it's 1-1 already. :facepalm:

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1348 on: June 27, 2016, 01:13:59 PM »
Fuck, I miss the first five minutes of the game and it's 1-1 already. :facepalm:

Impressive Iceland comeback! 4 minutes in they go down because of a penalty, they should all be "Damn, it's already over, it was fun while it lasted" and instead they equalize two minutes later  :hefdaddy

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1349 on: June 27, 2016, 01:20:09 PM »
This game just makes my day what the fuck. I always enjoy seeing Joe Hart fuck up but it's even better when Iceland get a goal because of it.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1350 on: June 27, 2016, 01:50:10 PM »

Great that Italy won!

First of all Messi has been outstanding with Argentina, he hasn't been able to reach his Barcelona level but then again, he's team mates are not at the same level so it's not surprising.
And regarding Higuain, he's missed clear goals in the last 3 finals we've played, he's one of the main reasons Argentina din't win any of those. And Agüero is another guy that's brilliant in his team but doesn't achieve as much in the national team.

Yeah I agree. While he might have missed the crucial penalty last night, Messi has consistently been very good for Argentina. I hope he reconsiders

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1351 on: June 27, 2016, 02:53:06 PM »
Nice game by Iceland and more or less dreadful game by Englang. Glad to see Iceland going through, hopefully they can win some more games. I'll be rooting for them.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1352 on: June 27, 2016, 02:56:15 PM »
Massively epic episode of Game of Thrones!!!!

Italy defeats Spain!!!

Iceland defeats England!!!

This day will go down in history  :metal  :metal  :metal

I'm so happy for Iceland!!!! England has a double brexit, from the EU and from the Euro Cup  ;D

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1353 on: June 27, 2016, 02:57:13 PM »
Fuck yes Iceland! I only caught the last ten minutes or so, but I'm super happy for Iceland.

Now if they manage to take out the hosts, that would be fucking amazing.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1354 on: June 27, 2016, 02:58:00 PM »
I'm so happy for Iceland!!!!

Second time in a week that England is out of the Euro....

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1355 on: June 27, 2016, 03:28:26 PM »
England are absolutely abysmal as a football team. And no manager on the planet could possibly make them gel as a TEAM and play well. It's a relief that they're eliminated, as it is with every tournament they play in.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1356 on: June 27, 2016, 04:00:01 PM »
I'll be very sad if that really is the last we see of Messi on the international level. With that being said, I understand that a large portion of the Argentinian support has been very harsh on him for a while now, undeservingly, and I don't blame him for wanting to let go.

England are absolutely abysmal as a football team. And no manager on the planet could possibly make them gel as a TEAM and play well. It's a relief that they're eliminated, as it is with every tournament they play in.

Agree with all but the bold. Surely there's a large number of managers out there that would've prepared that group of guys better than Roy Hodgson. After the abysmal first half, he made almost no attempt at all to change things up. Jack Whilshire? Who only played one game the entire season?? Same old Wayne Rooney? Raheem Sterling?!? Seriously?

He looked bewildered and without any confidence on the sideline, and has for a long time. The team sucked, yes, but the manager could've been so much better.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1357 on: June 28, 2016, 01:23:21 AM »
I must say that the enlarged format was calling for very poor teams to show up, but all the debutants fared well. Let's see them:

Albania - almost managed to make it through as one of the best 3rd ones, didn't succeed.
Iceland - They're among the best 8 and they defeated England.
Northern Ireland - Reached the round of 16.
Slovakia - Reached the round of 16.
Wales - Among the best 8.

Not bad for a first time, overall!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1358 on: June 28, 2016, 06:28:12 AM »
I'll be very sad if that really is the last we see of Messi on the international level. With that being said, I understand that a large portion of the Argentinian support has been very harsh on him for a while now, undeservingly, and I don't blame him for wanting to let go.

Well, there's a portion of the support that still criticizes him but now most people support him. This thing about him leaving the national team has almost become a matter of state.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1359 on: June 28, 2016, 08:34:08 AM »
Well holy cow Iceland, very well done!

Here's a fun fact: 99,8% of the population on Iceland followed the game yesterday which means ruffly 650 people did not see it.  :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1360 on: June 28, 2016, 10:01:11 AM »
Yeah, I joked to myself when they announced on TV that there were 7000 Iceland supporters at the stadium so I was like "Do they actually have 7000 people in Iceland?"  :biggrin:

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1361 on: July 01, 2016, 11:57:15 AM »
Last night Poland against Portugal wasn't very exciting to be honest. I regret watching it actually, I'd rather got some sleep instead.

But now it's a weekend and my most anticipated game is happening today, Belgium - Wales. This is going to be good, hopefully. What are your predictions?

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1362 on: July 01, 2016, 12:02:48 PM »
I hate saying this, but last night Pepe was on fire, man of the match easily.

For some reason I sympathize with the Portuguese but they've been pretty terrible this tournament to be honest, should've gone out in the groups.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1363 on: July 01, 2016, 12:04:16 PM »
I hate saying this, but last night Pepe was on fire, man of the match easily.

For some reason I sympathize with the Portuguese but they've been pretty terrible this tournament to be honest, should've gone out in the groups.

Portugal is probably my least favourite team remaining in the tournament right now. And I was pretty sympathetic to them when the tournament started. Their football just seems so dull these days.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1364 on: July 01, 2016, 02:43:18 PM »
GO WALES!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.