Author Topic: The Survivor Thread  (Read 186952 times)

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
Re: The Survivor Thread
« Reply #175 on: May 16, 2011, 12:58:57 PM »
It was nice to see the full opening credits again. Shame they cut it for so much of the season.

So many more commercials in the shows now.

- It's official. Jeff included the phrase "one shot" in every single one of his Redemption Island dual preambles. 

"You only get one shot, do not miss your chance to blow.  This opportunity comes once in a lifetime."

- The immunity challenge was really stupid. Yay for counting! 
 - Ashley wins immunity again? Man, this just keeps getting lamer and lamer. 

Yeah...

- Unlike the other players, Rob doesn't have a title beside his name (ex: student, formal federal agent?, etc.). I wonder why. 

Because reality shows are more or less his job now.

- Originally I was surprised that no one was talking about the hidden immunity idol, but based on some of things that Natalie and Ashley said later, they may have just cut that out for suspense. 

Yeah, but I really hate that.  I get that the editors are trying to create a narrative, and that what we see on Survivor is only 1/300th of the footage they shoot, but it's called Reality TV for a reason.  I want to actually know what's going on.

- I was actually expecting Natalie to pull a Fabio and start kicking ass in the finale. If she had chosen to backstab Rob, she would have been almost assured of victory. 
 - Rob took a pretty big risk in relying entirely on Natalie. It was good of him to play the idol. 

In retrospect, it's clear that Natalie was never really going to betray Rob unless Ashley had won the final immunity, and even then maybe Rob could have talked her back into the fold.  If Natalie had back-stabbed Rob, maybe she could have won, but I think Ashley was ready for FTC.

- Ashley following Rob around for the whole challenge was pretty hacks. I would have been really pissed if she managed to win. 
 - Natalie has been doing really poorly at challenges lately. The fact that she doesn't have the mind to figure them out nicely parallels the fact that she doesn't really have a mind for the game of Survivor either. Her later quote, "I would rather lose this game than lose a friend in Ashley," is pretty good proof of that. 
 - I loved Rob's celebration. It may have been early, but he was definitely celebrating having finally won the million dollars at this point. 
 - Seeing Andrea all cleaned up on the jury for the first time was a real disappointment. She lost all of her jungle hotness. 
 - Phillip is actually sort of likeable when he isn't so crazy. His comment about never having won any challenges was pretty funny. 

Agreed on all of this.  Especially Andrea and her jungle hotness.  I mean:

Oh my god.

[Various conspiracy theories]

There's two big conspiracy theories:

- Idiots were hired to allow Rob and Russell to win.

I don't buy this.  Like, I know it's lame to keep saying, but people keep underestimating how difficult a task Rob pulled off in this game.  Because he made winning look easy, people are assuming it actually was easy when it really wasn't.  For every advantage Rob had, he had an equally huge disadvantage, he was just able to neutralize them.  The cast for Redemption Island ended up the way it was because (a) they didn't want personalities that overshadowed Rob and Russell and (b) simply screwing up.  They didn't anticipate that Natalie would be so strategically inactive.  They thought she could be the nice young girl.  I think they figured the Zapatera tribe would be tougher and not so psychologically incapable of trying to win.

- Redemption Island was put there to keep Rob and Russell in the game.

I don't think they minded this, but really they just wanted to copy Real World/Road Rules Challenge.

- I was disappointed that there was no walk through the wilderness to reflect on the players voted out before them. I always felt that was a nice touch. Have they ever not done that before? 

I dunno.  You can find this scene on the internet though.  It was probably cut for the Redemption Island segment.

- Natalie's opening argument was phenomenally weak. 

I disagree.  Relative to her crappy game, I thought it was pretty encouraging.  She seemed likable and like she tried to do something, even if it wasn't much.  Then she killed herself as FTC went on.

- Ralph is wearing a very Russell-esque fedora. 
 - I love how confident Phillip is in what he says. I can't believe how he can just keep talking at every Tribal Council despite the jury members constantly facepalming noticeably. 
 - Rob, conversely, has a fantastic opening argument. 
 - Andrea, to Phillip: "You...are weird." Awesome. 
 - I don't know what the hell Phillip thought he was doing insulting the jury members back. 
 - Mike was a very respectful and respectable jury member. It was a nice change. 
 - Ralph, to Phillip: "Do you like me?" Me: "...the fuck?" 
 - This whole Tribal Council was a real shitfest on Phillip and Natalie. I was surprised at how vocal people were in their dislike of Natalie. 

Yep on all of that.  Especially the people disliking Natalie.  Riding coattails is such an all-in strategy on this show.  Either it works perfectly and you kill the guy who did the dirty work, or you look lazy and stupid.  I dunno, I just didn't think she was a bad person.

- There's a strange theme running through this final Tribal Council: The notion of the jury questioning who the finalists really were. 

This happened with Rob's All-Star Jury appearance too.  For some reason he brings out bitterness in the contestants.  He's one of the few players that actually understands it's a game for a million dollars, not a place to make relationships.  And then ironically he married Amber.  Which is kinda funny.  Because all these people criticize Rob for being so cold and inhuman on Survivor, and yet he has the most successful personal relationship with a contestant he played with.  Irony is thick man.

- By this point, I was starting to wonder if Rob would win with a unanimous vote. I thought it was unlikely but definitely possible. Has that ever happened before on Survivor? 

Wikipedia tells me Earl on Fiji and J.T on Tocantins.

- Phillip's little speech must have really pumped up Ralph's ego to secure a vote from him. So much for unanimity. At least Ralph gave us one last laugh with his vote for "Phile". 

I totally predicted that Ralph would vote Phillip after their weird little moment.

- It must have been a tough feeling for Natalie sitting there like that (and even taking a direct question from Jeff) and knowing that she won't win. 
 - Even though it was just Ralph, it was kind of funny that there was one person who felt that Phillip deserved a million dollars for how he played. 
 - Natalie actually seemed pretty nervous. She must have been struggling with the live TV experience. 

All true.  I felt bad for her.

- The whole exchange about Grant not returning Rob's calls was pretty awkward. I was really surprised at how bitter Grant was. Rob even admitted in a confession last episode about how hard it was for him to make that decision. I really figured that Grant would have understood. 

I think Grant was really sad.  I'm not sure Probst should have brought that up.

- Jeff's comment about how so many people dislike his opinions was rather odd. 

He's very much on the pulse of internet opinion about the show.  And, like many people, he isn't reacting perfectly.  People who disagree with you on the internet are either idiots, which means they shouldn't bother you, or they have a legitimate point that you should actually take seriously and not as a personal insult.

- Rob may have played a great game, but it definitely wasn't perfect. If he was playing for the first time, it would have been pretty perfect. 

That makes no sense.  If a three year old and a thirty-three year old both count from one to ten with no mistakes, they both perfectly counted to ten.  The three year old is more impressive, but that doesn't make the older guy somehow less good.

Also, Colby played twice before HvV and then didn't have much in the tank his third time.  It's more emotionally disappointing that he checked out, but his previous experience doesn't make his game better or worse either.

- But there were several instances in which he could have and probably should have been voted out. I'm really starting to believe in my sheep theory: It was a season of Rob vs. Russell designed to allow one of them to win by casting some incredibly stupid players. Yeah, not everyone sucked, and the season pre-merger was pretty interesting. But even though I was cheering for Rob for most of the game, after Matt was blindsided again, the rest of the season really sucked. I mean, last season wasn't great, but I still felt good when Fabio won. Sure, it was Rob, one of the people I was cheering for, who won, but on the whole, this season has left me feeling extremely unsatisfied. 

Rob won because he played a transcendentally great game.  Russell didn't and he got annihilated.  The quality of opponents isn't irrelevant but if you're good you're good and if you suck you suck.

- I was also really surprised at Russell's bitterness, particularly at Steve. It seemed awfully over the top. (Disclaimer: I really know nothing about Russell because I didn't see seasons 19 or 20.) 

I saw him on Season 20, so I'm not surprised.  And for what it's worth he was completely right.  Everything about Zapatera's decision was stupid and wrong.  And his calling out of Steve specifically was right on.  None of this of course excuses the multiple crappy things Russell has said and done.

- Russell definitely should have stuck to his words on the island and said "toss my phone number". I don't care if I've only seen him once, a fourth season would be too much. He should not come back. 

Not yet, but a couple years down the line I'd be interested in seeing him on another All-Star season.  I wonder if he could improve his strategic game?

- It was nice to see Phillip apologize to Steve. 

It was a legitimately nice moment.

- Oh man, I was pissing myself laughing at Phillip's army picture. 
 - So after all this, Phillip turned out to be a former federal agent after all. So why the question mark? What it effectively means is that, conspiracy theories and Phillip's behaviour aside, the Survivor producers altered their viewers' opinions - probably substantially - by adding that little question mark after "formal federal agent". Did it affect the game? No. But it misled the viewers to a certain degree, which to me detracts from a program that is billed as reality TV. Yeah, it probably helped boost ratings to some extent (probably only slightly, but ratings are ratings) but I ultimately just end up doubting the show's masterminds, which I shouldn't have to. 

I too loved the army picture.  And I get why they did the question mark - it was entertaining.  They didn't know, we didn't know, so it was fun.

- I'm surprised that Rob won the fan favourite award. I really thought that an influx of pity votes would have ensured a victory for Matt. Jeff's comment about the $100,000 being a shopping spree for Amber was really stupid and immature. 

I don't feel that harshly about Probst's comment, but I know what you mean.  Rob doesn't seem to live a bad life, but these shows are his actual income, not bonus fun spending money.  Honestly this wasn't a great Probst reunion show.  A little too flippant about everything going on.

- David's comments about his relationship were strange and rather awkward. I definitely was not expecting a proposal to come from that. I also definitely thought she was going to say no. Her face, her words, her entire demeanour - it all seemed to point towards no. Ah well, good for them. 

I haven't even watched it.  It's too awkward.

- So...next season is going to be exactly the same as last season? How lame. Besides the highly unlikely scenario I outlined a few posts back, does anyone have any thoughts as to who the two returning players might be? Anyone heard any rumours? Oh man, can you imagine all the fans ragequitting on Survivor if Russell came back next season to try again? Obviously it would never happen in a million years, but it'd still be funny in a horrendous kind of way. 

I'd be there will be at least one female returning cast member.  I'd like Amanda Kimmel, but who knows.  Cirie might get another shot, or someone else from the Heroes vs. Villains season.  I get the impression it's two players who haven't won yet.

- Maybe Redemption Island 2 is being done so that, when one of the two returning players doesn't win, people will be more likely to dismiss the sheep theory. </moreconspiracytheories> 

No.  Probst likes the drama of it.  And the ratings for this season weren't bad, so they're gonna keep rolling with it.  I just hope the overall cast is better.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 01:09:48 PM by ReaPsTA »
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #176 on: May 16, 2011, 02:42:13 PM »
- It's official. Jeff included the phrase "one shot" in every single one of his Redemption Island dual preambles. 

"You only get one shot, do not miss your chance to blow.  This opportunity comes once in a lifetime."

Yeah, I seem to remember setrataeso mentioning that one recent season (possibly this one, I forget) originally opened with Jeff intentionally referencing the song constantly but then he cut it because it was too cheesy.

- Unlike the other players, Rob doesn't have a title beside his name (ex: student, formal federal agent?, etc.). I wonder why. 

Because reality shows are more or less his job now.

I kinda figured that might be why.

- By this point, I was starting to wonder if Rob would win with a unanimous vote. I thought it was unlikely but definitely possible. Has that ever happened before on Survivor? 

Wikipedia tells me Earl on Fiji and J.T on Tocantins.

Goddamn. I know it isn't your fault, but I've been watching Tocantins on the side and I was only a couple of episodes away from the finale. I guess it won't be a surprise then.

- Oh man, I was pissing myself laughing at Phillip's army picture. 
 - So after all this, Phillip turned out to be a former federal agent after all. So why the question mark? What it effectively means is that, conspiracy theories and Phillip's behaviour aside, the Survivor producers altered their viewers' opinions - probably substantially - by adding that little question mark after "formal federal agent". Did it affect the game? No. But it misled the viewers to a certain degree, which to me detracts from a program that is billed as reality TV. Yeah, it probably helped boost ratings to some extent (probably only slightly, but ratings are ratings) but I ultimately just end up doubting the show's masterminds, which I shouldn't have to. 

I too loved the army picture.  And I get why they did the question mark - it was entertaining.  They didn't know, we didn't know, so it was fun.

But they did know. There's no way they'd let anyone on Survivor without an extensive background check.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #177 on: May 16, 2011, 04:25:31 PM »
Goddamn. I know it isn't your fault, but I've been watching Tocantins on the side and I was only a couple of episodes away from the finale. I guess it won't be a surprise then.

Oh god, I'm so sorry. 

But they did know. There's no way they'd let anyone on Survivor without an extensive background check.

Interesting point.  I wonder how extensive the Survivor background check is?
Over and over again

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #178 on: May 16, 2011, 05:31:41 PM »
I agree that the walk-through where they remember all of the ones who had been voted out was missed.  I always like that part of the final episode.  

And Amanda Kimmel...she was the worst ever at final TC speeches (she could have been in Rob's position last night and blown it), but she sure is nice to look at:

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #179 on: May 16, 2011, 05:37:44 PM »
Fun Amanda fact - She's 5'11''   :hefdaddy :heart :heart :hefdaddy
Over and over again

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
  • I probably don't like you
« Reply #180 on: May 16, 2011, 06:13:29 PM »
I don't want to see anyone from Redemption Island back yet.  Wait at least a season.

Until this past fall, I hadn't watched Survivor in five and a half years, having watched the first eight seasons as a child and then stopping. As such, I don't remember much about them. When setrataeso got me watching again in the fall, I watched seasons 21 and 22, and have watched most of seasons 1 and 18 online as well.

One of the main reasons I mentioned Marty and David was because they're the most defined and freshest characters in my mind at this point that fit the bill in that scenario. I was just trying to fill in the blanks creatively.

Well, with David, look at it this way, once his fiancee breaks up with him in a few months, he'll have the fire to really tear through Survivor 24 with a vengeance.  Now that will be television!

I don't think that's the case dude.
Carolina ADORES David. I have David on Facebook, and for the past few months just about everything he's posted or done on Facebook, Carolina has responded with " :heart :heart :heart Love you babe! Can't wait for the future with you! xoxox!"
I think it's pretty presumptuous to say they will break up, so I would stop right now.
NEW REVIEW: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25343.0

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #181 on: May 16, 2011, 07:10:11 PM »
Carolina ADORES David. I have David on Facebook, and for the past few months just about everything he's posted or done on Facebook, Carolina has responded with " :heart :heart :heart Love you babe! Can't wait for the future with you! xoxox!"
I think it's pretty presumptuous to say they will break up, so I would stop right now.

You seem to be taking this a little personally.
Over and over again

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #182 on: May 16, 2011, 08:26:05 PM »
Facebook status updates and/or replies are ALWAYS a true indicator of how a relationship is going! :lol :lol

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #183 on: May 16, 2011, 09:19:46 PM »

You seem to be taking this a little personally.

I think it's a low blow to say any relationship is going to end quickly. I take offense because I actually like David.

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #184 on: May 16, 2011, 09:22:16 PM »

• Seeing Andrea all cleaned up on the jury for the first time was a real disappointment. She lost all of her jungle hotness.

Wat.
I don't think I've ever had a boner the way I did for post-game Andrea.

Also, in the preview for Survivor South Pacific, you can distinguish a few past characters from the clips they used.

I was able to discern:
Erik Reichenbach (aka Ice Cream Scooper Erik) from Survivor Micronesia
Sierra Reid and Candace Smith from Survivor Tocantins
I think I saw Natalie Tenerelli from Survivor Redemption Island
As well as an indistinguishable male Survivor in a swimming clip.

There's no way Natalie or Candace are coming back.
Sierra is a maybe, but I don't think she has the fan support for that.

Ice Cream Scooper Erik is who I have my money on. In Jeff's blog a few weeks ago, he mentioned Erik and how he is a character that would deserve a shot at "redemption". Considering the whole redemption theme is going to play into bringing these players back, Erik is the PERFECT embodiment of what they want to accomplish with Redemption Island.
The only question is who would join Erik?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 09:28:18 PM by setrataeso »

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #185 on: May 17, 2011, 02:23:11 AM »
Survivor Cook Islands Time (RELENTLESS SPOILERING OF ALL THINGS IN THE SEASON)

Episode 1

- Holy god Yul Kwon is a smart guy.  And he's seemingly a physical monster.  No wonder he won.
 - Even commenting on the tribes feels awkward because of the racial divide.  My only solution is to just be honest.
 - I like the Asian and Latino tribes the most.  They feel the most personally balanced and are just fun to watch.  The white tribe is... okay.  The writer guy is an okay leader, but otherwise I'm just not into them.  Candice and Adam aren't big personalities, and I'm still not sure what I think of the goth chick.  I enjoy the way Parvati the boxer looks though.  She had an edge to her that she lost when she went all yoga on us.
 - I refuse to judge the black tribe until I see what happens with Sekou voted out.  They've just been very dysfunctional so far.
 - Awesome first challenge BTW.

Episode 2

- While I think Yul is a little less ruthless toward other people than Boston Rob, based on the final result of the game it essentially seems like he found a Natalie to come with him in Natalie.  A weaker personality with a strong personal bond.  She even said that she thought of him as a bigger brother in Korean terms.  And if I understand Korean culture correctly, these kinds of family roles mean a lot.
 - The writer guy coming back from Exile Island and taking over the white tribe was kinda awkward.  Like someone said, things such as putting in a new floor should be a group decision.
 - I appreciate The Cowboy, but he does go too far.  There's a difference between self-deprecation and letting other people think you suck, and he seems to not even recognize this territory exists.  He's drifting into Coach/Phillip territory.
 - Can't believe the Latin tribe threw the challenge.  Cristina was right, you want to win and be on top and have a sense of team dynamic.  Now the Latin tribe's bitter and the other three will be more pumped to win.  Please no one tell me there are other seasons where tribes throw challenges, and I hope it never happens again.  It's a terrible move.
 - The Asian tribe on the other hand is so good.  They had their walk across the rope bridge coordinated so beautifully.  And then when Yul was sent to Exile Island (a good move), they made sure he had supplies so his time would be better.  I could watch these guys Pagong the other tribes and not complain, even though I doubt it will happen.
 - Even though it wasn't under the most honest of circumstances, I felt happy for the black tribe having a good moment after a terrible first episode.
 - I love how Yul solved Exile island before the sun even set.  The guy is really smart.
 - Oh man.  Billy's thing for Candice is sad and disturbing.  Between that and his total lack of work ethic around camp, he needs to go.  Candice was just being nice man.
 - Side note: I like the tribal council set for this season a lot.
 - Look, Billy, dude, I don't think a Heavy Metal tribe would approve of your laziness and... whateveritisness either.
 - Good season so far, but now I must sleep.

Episode 3
 - For the one or two people who read this, and the people who just generally think I'm nuts, I figure it's worth pointing out that these long bullet-point lists of what's happening in the game are just as much for my comprehension and processing of the events as they are anyone else.
 - Cowboy is definitely reaching the Coach/Phillip level.  My mom had an idea of making a tribe of all people like Coach and Phillip, and it's possible there are enough guys like Coach, Cowboy, and Phillip to make this tribe.  I'd so watch that season.
 - This tribe switch is interesting to watch, but not really good from the perspective of a game.  When things are too random, it's impossible to have any sort of real long term strategy, making the game almost purely about tactics.  Not so fun to watch intellectually.
 - OMG LOVED the squishing the eggs thing.  Great twist in terms of the game and as something cinematic.
 - Good lord Parvati is hot.  I want to remind you of this because you might have forgotten it.
 - I really enjoyed the part where they told Candice about Billy's crush.  The strategy is the soul of the game, but the heart is the contestants being together as people, and I love scenes where they're interacting.
 - The Jonathan/Candice/Yul/Becky/Flicka alliance has a lot of potential.  Flicka has to know Jonathan is one of the only players who really wants her around right?  Plus Becky and Yul would probably be really accepting.  I hope she doesn't mess it up.
 - Becky's a little more like Amber than Natalie.  She can actually do work/relay information/have her own opinion while still being loyal.  I hope Yul telling her about the idol works out.  It's a decent thing to do and a great way to solidify a real twosome.
 - I kinda thought Nate was a cool guy, then he went out and got the Octopus and just had a great and fun attitude about it.  I hope he doesn't turn around and start sucking somehow.
 - Parvati's starting to figure out her game a little.  She has the flirt button on maximum power right now.
 - I love the Yul/Jonathan alliance.  They play hard, they play smart, and they care about loyalty.  Flicka bummed me out, she doesn't realize they're there to play a game.  Oddly, I think she and Cowboy might have made the wrong voting choice.  Two of the best players in the game now have a lot of power.  You have Ozzy on your side, so it's not like you're screwing yourself in a merge.  To be honest, I'm not sure how many other people on the island view Yul as a strong player because he isn't a strong personality like Jonathan or even Ozzie.
 - I'm really enjoying this season so far.  I feel like it's working on emotional levels I haven't seen from the other seasons, while still containing a lot of smart players, interesting personalities, and good game play.

Episode 4
 - I hate Ozzy's sudden lack of competitive edge.  Keep fighting man!
 - Candace played a little too dumb there.  I was with it until she said she didn't even think about missing tribal council, which is basically impossible.  Also, I read somewhere that Yul covered his tracks after he had found the idol.  Smart move.
 - I hate the guys on the blue tribe (Not Yul's) being lazy because they know they can be.  I hope they get killed in a vote.  I mean, maybe they can logically justify not being tired, but how is being disliked ever a good thing on this game?
(to be continued)
 -
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 05:42:44 PM by ReaPsTA »
Over and over again

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #186 on: June 02, 2011, 01:35:15 PM »
The returning castaways for the next season have been discovered:

Spoiler

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #187 on: June 02, 2011, 03:42:05 PM »
On Survivor Sucks, it seems like most think this is still a red herring. How many so-called "confirmed" returning players have we had so far? Mike, David, Matt, Andrea, Phillip, Coach, Erik, Ozzy, Natalie, Marty, Jane, the list goes on.

That being said, if this is true, it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. At Rob and Russell were on the same season. These two have never played with each other.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #188 on: June 02, 2011, 04:26:26 PM »
I really like Coach, and Ozzy is Survivor's greatest swimmer ever. If it is true, it could be interesting.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #189 on: June 02, 2011, 04:59:11 PM »
I really like Coach, and Ozzy is one of Survivor's most bitter jurors ever and is a partial reason why many recent jurors have been bitter as well.

Fixed it for you.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #190 on: June 02, 2011, 04:59:48 PM »
Just read about that long open letter to Jeff Probst and his response on Survivor Sucks (was linked from Cozmo's article). As much as I understand (and, in some cases, side with) a lot of the criticism he faces, his responses were for the most part pretty logical. What he ignored from the letter was telling, though. I was also impressed with how involved he was (outside his contract) with the show. Not being a hardcore fan, I had no idea.
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #191 on: June 02, 2011, 05:02:34 PM »
Just read about that long open letter to Jeff Probst and his response on Survivor Sucks (was linked from Cozmo's article). As much as I understand (and, in some cases, side with) a lot of the criticism he faces, his responses were for the most part pretty logical. What he ignored from the letter was telling, though. I was also impressed with how involved he was (outside his contract) with the show. Not being a hardcore fan, I had no idea.

Yeah, I'll give Jeff credit on really making Survivor relevant again, but he ignored one thing I really wanted answered, which was why they keep bringing returning players back when it takes away from the trust they have in the new players, essentially saying "you are not good enough to draw ratings". I wanted Jeff to address that, but no such luck.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #192 on: June 05, 2011, 01:14:06 PM »
Showing my Survivor love with a new avatar ;)

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #193 on: June 06, 2011, 12:15:10 AM »
Unreal.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #194 on: June 06, 2011, 08:34:02 AM »
Very nice.  NOw that we've got a wait until the new Survivor, I look forward to Big Brother starting in July.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #195 on: June 06, 2011, 10:00:05 AM »
I never really got into Big Brother.  Maybe I'll give it a shot this season.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #196 on: June 06, 2011, 05:54:46 PM »
I just started watching last season's Big Brother as a way to familiarize myself with the show.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #197 on: June 07, 2011, 11:02:48 AM »
I just started watching last season's Big Brother as a way to familiarize myself with the show.

How come? Just looking for a new show to get into?

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #198 on: June 07, 2011, 03:08:02 PM »

How come? Just looking for a new show to get into?

Yeah, there's not much on in the summer. Plus Rob podcasts about Big Brother as well, so I might as well put another reality show into my schedule.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #199 on: July 07, 2011, 06:23:03 AM »
New Survivor rumor for the coming season:  Link

Also, if anyone's interested, Big Brother starts tonight!

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #200 on: July 07, 2011, 09:14:42 AM »
Yeah Survivor Sucks is abuzz with the Hantz rumours.
I wonder if Brandon Hantz is going to spoil the seasons like Russell did :P

And yay Big Brother! I'm cheering for Heavy Metal Adam.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #201 on: July 07, 2011, 07:08:54 PM »
Adam seems kinda cool. I'm so excited!

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #202 on: August 29, 2011, 03:24:12 PM »
Cast bios and vids are up.
Some cool peeps this time around.

Also, the two returnees have been officially announced. As though we didn't know already...

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #203 on: September 22, 2011, 02:14:28 PM »
I'm not sure who's more of an unstable loose cannon.  Russell Hantz or Brandon Hantz.  That dude has some SERIOUS fucking issues.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #204 on: September 22, 2011, 02:26:32 PM »
I'm not sure who's more of an unstable loose cannon.  Russell Hantz or Brandon Hantz.  That dude has some SERIOUS fucking issues.

"She's attractive and that threatens me, better vote her out." :facepalm:

On another note, I don't see why he doesn't just admit he's Russell's nephew. Just because they're related doesn't mean they're anything alike. It'll be impossible for him to hide it forever and when the news breaks (probably next episode, based on the preview) people will just end up losing their trust in him.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #205 on: September 22, 2011, 05:35:54 PM »
Brandon is weirder than Coach. I never thought I would say that...

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #206 on: September 22, 2011, 07:14:39 PM »
It's the most... wonderful time.... of the year!!!  Survivor's back.  And I'm back with shorter and more readable posts:

- My favorite player is Jim, the medical marijuana guy.  He's ridiculously smart and competitive while still having fun.  Always something I want to see.

- I was really surprised by how effectively coach put his tribe together after the disastrous first challenge.

- I looked up Hanoi Tower puzzle on the internet and learned how to do it.  I feel smart now.

- Ozzy's really smart about what other people are thinking... but as a strategist he's pretty weak.  Semhar was a poison, she needed to go badly.  Cochran is Cochran, but he doesn't cause conflict and fill you with rage.  No idea why Ozzy wanted Semhar on board other than her looks.

- Semhar was a bummer.  I really thought she'd be a great player, then the challenge happened.  Oh god.

- Lots of meta stuff in this game.  Brandon Hantz (who's super creepy), Cochran talking about how he's a fan of the game, and (my favorite moment), as the red tribe walks away one of them was like "and now Probst is going to say I've got nothing for you, you suck ass." 

- Overall, I like where this is going.  It might not keep going that way, but for now it seems like a solid cast and there's some good storylines.
Over and over again

Offline energythief

• Chubby Chaser
« Reply #207 on: September 22, 2011, 08:20:00 PM »
Really unpredictable people so far, I always love when a tribe can't get their shit together - makes for very exciting tribal councils. Brendon has got some serious demons - trying vote out that chick just because he can't control his lustful impulses? He's got no filter either - he's going to become a major liability soon, Coach needs to cut him loose.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #208 on: September 23, 2011, 09:43:13 AM »
Coach is still full of shit with his "playing the game with honor" talk, but he seems more level-headed than before, so he might have a chance. 

Brandon is creepy.  Like he'd have a chance with Mikayla anyway, but the way he is acting concerning her is creepy and bizarre.  I mean, has she even flirted with any guy in a way that would make the Parvati comparison legitimate?

Ozzy is not very smart. 

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #209 on: September 23, 2011, 09:51:29 AM »
I was a little baffled at the Parvati comparison.  It's almost like just because she's cute and has a rockin' body, he automatically assumes that she's going to blue ball everybody all the way to the finale.  WTF?  As you've indicated, she doesn't seem to have shown any signs that she'd act that way.