Author Topic: The Survivor Thread  (Read 186899 times)

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
Re: The Survivor Thread
« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2011, 09:50:25 PM »
But to some degree, he DOES have a questionable social game.  He's kinda bullied people around and flaunted himself in their faces going on about how awesome he is (in the previous two seasons, the all star season, especially).  It rubs people entirely the wrong way, because he's so obstinate and bull-headed.  That's why they don't like him and therefore refuse to vote for him.  At Tribal Council, he CAN find a way of making someone else look less worthy of staying, but he'll never be able to do that at the final tribal council.  He'll always lose.

(a) It's certainly questionable.  A huge part of what influences the votes is who you like.  Since no one likes Russell, that's a bad sign.

(b)  Whether he realizes it or not, Russell isn't designed to win the game, but is in fact a great second place player, for all the reasons you mentioned.  Accomplishing this is still more than most people could ever hope for.

I think you have to look at it in terms of tactics and strategy.

Strategically, Russell is very one dimensional.  He knows one thing and has a religious belief that it will work for him.  Never a good way to play a strategy game.

But tactically, the man is a genius.  So far, whatever he's wanted to happen, he's made happen.  And when someone is this tactically brilliant, I don't see how you can call their social game bad, even if it isn't what will win them sole survivor.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
  • I probably don't like you
« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2011, 10:15:11 PM »
Just an observation about the editing:
They are setting the first few episodes up as the downfall of Russell. All these shots of Ralph being likeable, being in the dominant alliance, and pulling the wool over Russell's eyes are exactly the kind of editing they strive for when they find a character they like (Big Tom, Rupert, etc). Because Russell keeps saying how weak his tribe is and how dumb Ralph is, I can only imagine they are setting up some sort of "Ralph beats Russell" sort of thing.

I agree with all of your post, but:

Editors also like to create a narrative that works in contrast to what's happening.  I'm watching the All-star season right now, and every tribal council vote has been a bit too surprising because the editors lead you to believe something that's the opposite of what happens.

It's a common film technique too.  When you want to surprise the audience, set up their expectations for the exact opposite.  Since Reality TV is an effort to craft narrative out of real situations, I'm not at all surprised that the editors would do this.

The preview for the next episode said, roughly, 'Zapatera finds out what happens when they cross Russell.'  It's fully possible that he does some crazy thing that damages the tribe but still ultimately gets voted out.  Yeah.  But I can't imagine them so obviously building the expectation of Russel being voted out and then delivering on it.  It's bad filmmaking.

All of this is why I really want to see Zapatera go to tribal council.  In every earlier season I've seen (including All-stars which I'm watching now), they've shown some of the tribe's negotiations before tribal council but mostly made it suspsenseful for the audience so they're surprised by the vote.

I HATE this.  The result is interesting, but only because of what goes into it.  You could complain that tribal council on Redemption Island this week was boring because we more-or-less knew what would happen.  But I thought it was awesome because we got to see Rob working his gamesmanship on the tribe.  The result of the game is a function of how the tribe members played it, and the people playing the game is what I find really intersting.

Woah.  But of a tangent there, sorry.  Re: Your post.  I have no idea really what Russell's fate is next episode.  Either they win the challenge or Russell finds a way to stay alive.  He has the only real alliance and is clearly the best player there, at least on a tactical level.  People say he has a bad social game, but that's only because they don't like him.  When the time comes to go to Tribal Council, he'll find a way to make someone else seem less worthy of having around.  Guaranteed.

See, the whole "lead the viewer to believe the opposite" trick is something they do every episode on Survivor. But, during every season, they always have at least one overarching story. And in the cases of these multi-episode stories, if you pay attention well enough, they always set up the downfall/victory well in advance, and you can predict it.

In Africa, Silas was a smarmy member of the dominant alliance of his tribe. He was so cocky, and spouted out so many quotes about how there was no way he could be brought down that the editors made that the storyline of the first half of Africa. Silas says "nothing will surprise me in the forseeable future". In the very same episode, they pull the first-ever tribal switch. Silas' game gets destroyed.

John Carrol in Marquesas was arguably even more cocky. He kept saying how people were actually "supporting his success". The editors show so much of John that you know it's coming. Sure enough, the lower men and women on the totem pole decide that they won't take it and blindside John. If John was so cocky, this wouldn't have been such a big deal, but editors love a cocky player that meets his downfall.

Russell has had that happen in Heroes V Villains. In Samoa, he was the fan-favourite and everyone probably predicted he would win, but it didn't happen. In HVV, because it was shot before Samoa aired but the winner was not announced for a few months later, Russell believed that he had won that season, and didn't change his gameplay. That's probably a wise strategy. He knew he got to the end, and he had the advantage of people not knowing his deal, so he could and did pull the same thing again. Except, he went overboard on the cockyness and made people dislike him way more than in Samoa. He had no social game.

I repeat, Reap, Russell had terrible social game. He got Parvati because she was the better player and she knew that she could control him, but make him believe he was calling the shots. Danielle was aligned with Parvati, so it was her best move. Jerri aligned with Russell out of fear. Intimidation is not good social game. Sandra, who was against Russell the entire time, won the season because she didn't take Russell's bullshit.

Russell believes he is the best. I think a strong point could be made for Russell being one of the worst players of all time. He will never win.
NEW REVIEW: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25343.0

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #72 on: March 02, 2011, 08:28:45 PM »
Called it. Russell is gone. Guess he won't be dealing with "a buncha bitches" anymore. :)

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #73 on: March 02, 2011, 08:41:07 PM »
Honestly, I think throwing this early was a ridiculous idea. A tarp could be all it takes for Ometepe to show up at the next comp better rested and riding a wave of momentum.

Also, I'll be happy to see Ralph go.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: March 02, 2011, 09:00:25 PM »
It's funny, with the buildup and initial stages of the episode, the feeling was "Russell's gone for sure", but with the last minute dramatics before Tribal Council, I couldn't help but feel like "Wow, I can't believe Russell was voted out."
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #75 on: March 02, 2011, 09:10:33 PM »
Yep.  I was SO hoping that the manly chick would keep her word and have them send Ralph out for a REAL blindside, but alas, it was not meant to be.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: March 02, 2011, 09:25:30 PM »
That would have been so intense.
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #77 on: March 02, 2011, 10:20:34 PM »
Throwing a challenge this early in the game was really stupid.  They will come back to haunt them, especially if they don't go to the merge with numbers.  They could have taken a 3-person lead stranglehold.  Stupid.

And you can bet your bottom dollar that the producers of the show will make Russell-friendly challenges at EC, as they will want him back in the game.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #78 on: March 03, 2011, 10:05:46 AM »
Throwing a challenge this early in the game was really stupid.  They will come back to haunt them, especially if they don't go to the merge with numbers.  They could have taken a 3-person lead stranglehold.  Stupid.

And you can bet your bottom dollar that the producers of the show will make Russell-friendly challenges at EC, as they will want him back in the game.

Yeah, I can imagine the next few challenges are going to be like:

- Fedora-wearing challenge.
- Whoever can find a hidden immunity idol wins. (The idol is hidden under Russell's hat)
- Whoever is the least hairy gets to stay. (I think Russell would have won against Francesca, as well)

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #79 on: March 03, 2011, 10:08:20 AM »
:rollin

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #80 on: March 03, 2011, 06:39:21 PM »
There's not really that much to say about this episode, which I wasn't that into until the end:

- Stephanie faking the idol was a great move.  I loved how Russell was able to say he had it and Steve just bought it.  Russell was able to use his perception to his advantage.  Also, she's really good looking.  I have a mild crush.

- I was disappointed Matt won.  I wanted more Francesca.

- I thought it was neat how they integrated Redemption Island into the rest of the show by having the tribe members watch.  But I think it was cooler when it was this crazy remote thing they didn't know anything about.  It also might have been a cooler experience for the audience.  But then again, it engages them more if they have the tribe members they can relate to watching the challenge to feel a greater emotional connection to the show, so maybe I'm wrong and it was the right move.

- The challenge was a good choice.  A physical element without automatically disqualifying female players from winning.  A bit interesting in general to watch as well.  I also appreciated how they got it out of the way early.  It makes the most sense structurally (space the two challenges out), and I didn't have to watch the tribes while wondering when we'd cut away.

- Disappointingly little Andrea drama this episode.  On Redemption Island, I really thought Matt was gonna lose and make her flip out at Rob.  For another episode I guess.  Rob did a good job talking her down.

- Unlike the last couple times, Rob closed out the challenge as he should.  Also, Zapatera tanked it way too obviously.  I wonder if any of the Ometepe members realized what happened?

- One thing Rob can do that Russell can't so much, learn from his mistakes and change up his game by trying to find the hidden idol.  He might be making a fundamental mistake though.  If he finds it and doesn't tell his alliance, and then uses it, the other members of the alliance might see it was untrustworthy.

- I was mildly surprised by the Zapatera having no divisions between them that went above voting out Russell.  We weren't shown otherwise, but I'm still somewhat in disbelief.

- Trying to flip Julie was the right move by Russell.  His mistake was that he never attempted to cultivate any alliances outside his threesome until it was too late.  Why didn't he see the tides turning so against him?  If he had worked on Julie beforehand, his chances might have been much better.

- Stephanie might have gone a bit too crazy at tribal council.  I liked her first speech.  It was a good reminder to Julie of why she thought of voting Ralph in the first place, but then it became unlikable.

- I'm not sure Julie ever thought of going to Russell's side.  Dan was whispering in her ear at Tribal Council like a plan already had been formed.

- Well edited show all around.  We got to see the power plays while still being in suspense at tribal council.

- Unfortunate to see Russell go.  He's fun to watch.  Hopefully this vote doesn't give Ometepe ideas about voting out Rob.
Over and over again

Offline Space Invader

• The Canadian Doctor Who Fanatic
  • DTF.org Member
  • Also recently addicted to Survivor
« Reply #81 on: March 03, 2011, 07:24:49 PM »
What I was confused about is why Ralph didn't share his idol, with even one person. Had he told one person, ONE person, who was voting for Stephanie to vote for Russel instead, since Ralph knew they didn't have the idol, then even if Julie HAD turned then it would have been a tie 4-4 and Russel would have gone out anyways.

I mean, it all worked out, but for me Ralph's secrecy, while understandable, I don't see as the right move.

@Reap: Some good comments:

a) I wanted Matt to stay just for the evenutallity that Andrea might go up against him on RI. Wouldn't that be something.
b) I was also disapointed by the lack of drama by Andrea. She could have made a real fire-storm, and it would have made the episode way more interesting
c)  :lol @ Philip in the chair. Good on Rob for looking for it so quickly. You're right about how he should probably share it with his solid 4 or 5
d) You're also right that Stephanie is really good looking. Plenty of excellent looking women on this season. The 19-year old dance? Yeah.....
Everything can, should and will be progressive.

"The only thing that is certain is that nothing is certain" - Montaigne.

I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street over maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez - Eleventh Doctor

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #82 on: March 03, 2011, 07:40:29 PM »
There's not really that much to say about this episode, which I wasn't that into until the end:

- Stephanie faking the idol was a great move.  I loved how Russell was able to say he had it and Steve just bought it.  Russell was able to use his perception to his advantage.  Also, she's really good looking.  I have a mild crush.

- One thing Rob can do that Russell can't so much, learn from his mistakes and change up his game by trying to find the hidden idol.  He might be making a fundamental mistake though.  If he finds it and doesn't tell his alliance, and then uses it, the other members of the alliance might see it was untrustworthy.

- I was mildly surprised by the Zapatera having no divisions between them that went above voting out Russell.  We weren't shown otherwise, but I'm still somewhat in disbelief.

- I'm not sure Julie ever thought of going to Russell's side.  Dan was whispering in her ear at Tribal Council like a plan already had been formed.

Gonna address these point.

1. I do enjoy this move, although, not to rain on your Russell-love, Russell did get tricked by this on Heroes vs. Villains, when Rupert realized he was screwed, and decided to put a rock in his pocket and pretend it was an idol. It saved him for 3 more days. Also, Stephanie is cute, but she is a bitch and I can't wait for her to go. She was sucking Russell's dick the entire tribal council. I know she needed to say these things to solidify Julie, but it came across as her just creaming at the thought of Russell. I think she wants to have Russell's little troll babies.

2. I don't know if that's a bad thing for Rob. I find the biggest blunder too many past contestants make is they reveal to too many people that they have the idol. If it were me, I would keep it to myself, or tell one other person (in Survivor Fiji, this allowed Earl and Yau-man to solidify an alliance and coast to the endgame). Instead, people love to brag about the idol. Especially Russell. In Heroes vs. Villains, he found a few idols, and every time he showed Parvati and Danielle. When Parvati found an idol, she kept it to herself. Smart girl.
I will argue, though, that Ralph almost got voted out because he didn't tell anyone about his idol. I think in a situation like that, where you are splitting the votes just to be safe, I think it's alright to tell one of the people who are voting Stephanie "Russell doesn't have the idol, vote for him". Even just one person.

3. There definitely is a hierarchy within the majority alliance. I think Julie, Sarita, and possibly David are on the outs. They are safe for now, but I would keep a watch out for David. He may not feel content with his position in the alliance and take the people who are 4th and 5th on the totem pole, and try to orchestrate a flip. I'm getting a strong Rob Cesternino vibe from David, and that was Rob's big move in the Amazon.

4. Dan? You mean David, right?

Everything else I pretty much agree with. As much as I was happy that Julie opted to vote Russell out, I think the better move for her at the next vote would be to align with Krista, Stephanie, Sarita, and David and try to vote out Steve or something. Fortunately for Zapatera, Russell was not overly strong in the challenges, so I don't think they lost a key piece of their tribe. However, throwing challenges is always a good way of tempting fate in Survivor. Many times before have tribes done the same, and that was all it took for the other tribe to get on a roll.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #83 on: March 03, 2011, 09:56:58 PM »
So I'm watching the All-Star season when OH. OH!  COLBY GOT VOTED OFF!  So awesome.  I couldn't stand watching this guy for some reason.  And I have to applaud Lex's sense of timing.

EDIT: Oh my god.  Rob's speech to Lex and Kathy about breaking his word to them was brutal.  You could see this real dark side of the guy coming out.  And then when he said that thing about friendship at tribal council, it seemed almost genuine, in spite of the obvious strategic benefit.  If you look at him afterwards he's obviously uncomfortable.  And then when Kathy decided not to give up the idol, Lex looked genuinely shocked like she said off camera she'd give it up.  And then he voted for Amber and called Rob her errand boy.  If they really were friends in real life, I have a feeling that died in the competition.

EDIT 2:  Is the episode with the letters one of the most compelling hours of TV ever or what?  Rob actually got emotional??

EDIT 3:  Probst kinda pointed this out - What's really interesting about this merged tribe is that on one hand these people are super connected to each other and feel a lot of personal connection, but are also some of the most vicious players of the game out there.  The constant vacillation between these two states of mind makes every vote extremely brutal and personal.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 08:26:36 AM by ReaPsTA »
Over and over again

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #84 on: March 04, 2011, 07:13:38 AM »
Russel's armpits ruined the episode for me.
Dude.
Seriously?
I mean...I clean up my shoulder fuzz every now and then, and I manscape...but not in the middle of nowhere during a contest where any hinderance to physical endurance becomes a liability.

his ego finally got too big...and now he's done.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #85 on: March 04, 2011, 08:29:39 AM »

Richard Hatch made the same mistake in the all star season.  He figured he was cool and was content to not do very much.  All the sudden he realized the heat was on and put together and excellent strategy, but it was too late to matter.  Every one of the girls didn't like Colby and immediately regretted not voting him out.  If Hatch had done more to be liked and not seen as dead weight, he could have built himself a solid alliance and been a real force against Boston Rob.  Plus, he was a solid challenge player and would have kept Mogo Mogo stronger into the merge.

It baffles me that some Survivor players don't understand the importance of laying the groundwork for future alliances.  Even when you have a rock solid group, the tides might change and you need new people to have your back.
Over and over again

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #86 on: March 04, 2011, 08:36:23 AM »
Tides change by the minute.  You can NEVER get comfortable in Survivor, no matter how much it looks and seems and feels like you're safe.  Everything can and often does change on a dime, because everyone is paranoid as hell.  I read somewhere that Survivor contestants, upon returning home, need time to readjust and learn to trust people again.  For the life of me, I cannot remember where I read it, now.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #87 on: March 04, 2011, 08:48:41 AM »
I love how the Robfather just owns this All-Star season.  Everyone's afraid of not showing him proper respect because he makes all the decisions about who goes.  It's amazing.

EDIT:  And then he's coaching his brother through the eating challenge.   :lol

EDIT 2:  I can't wait for when Rob and Amber have to make their cases in front of the Jury.  Will there be low blows?  Will they be conspicuously deferential to each other?

EDIT 3:  I love Rob getting Tom and Rupert to fight.  He's so openly gleeful as he's watching.

EDIT 4:  Rob did a nice job psyching Amber out at the final challenge.

EDIT 5:  Powerful speech from Lex about selling out your values to win the game.  Not even sure I agree with it, but damn.

EDIT 6:  "You may have outwitted, outplayed, and outlasted us.  But you have not outclassed us." ~ Alisha.  The game doesn't care about class.  She's missing the point.  When Lex discusses the relationship between the game and your moral values, he's at least bringing up something legitimate.  If you're only talking about how you played the game, then winning is the only standard.

EDIT 7:  The dynamic with Rob and Amber at this Jury council is amazing for two reasons.  This isn't about how well they played the game at all.  It's purely the moral trial of Rob and Amber.  Is this part of the game?  Sure, but the jury members don't care at all about if they played to win.  The other reason is Rob and Amber.  I don't think they even care who wins the million dollars.  After competing so hard for weeks they just want it over with so they can go back to their real lives and see what happens with them.  They stated their cases but the answers had no teeth, and they made absolutely zero attempt to undermine each other at all.  When Big Tom asked to make their cases against the other person, Amber gave an answer that wouldn't hurt Rob emotionally, then Rob didn't even answer the question.  By the way, Big Tom proved he was a douche by doing the swiping away the handshake thing.  How is a 50 year old man that immature?

EDIT 8:  This reunion show is amazing.  The wedding proposal (sounds cheesier than it actually was.  It was a tremendous moment in so many ways), Richard Hatch saying smart things about how it's a game, more of Big Tom being unlikable, and more of Boston Rob being awesome.  The Robfather name is truly earned.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 02:26:53 PM by ReaPsTA »
Over and over again

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #88 on: March 04, 2011, 10:52:12 AM »

Richard Hatch made the same mistake in the all star season.  He figured he was cool and was content to not do very much.  All the sudden he realized the heat was on and put together and excellent strategy, but it was too late to matter.  Every one of the girls didn't like Colby and immediately regretted not voting him out.  If Hatch had done more to be liked and not seen as dead weight, he could have built himself a solid alliance and been a real force against Boston Rob.  Plus, he was a solid challenge player and would have kept Mogo Mogo stronger into the merge.

It baffles me that some Survivor players don't understand the importance of laying the groundwork for future alliances.  Even when you have a rock solid group, the tides might change and you need new people to have your back.

Gonna have to correct you on this Reap...

Hatch has gone on record saying that he never really cared that much about the All-Stars season. If he cared, he would not have come back. There is no possible way that he would have salvaged his reputation as the first winner by going on a season that he will be targeted so quickly. Notice how in all but one episode, he really doesn't care about alliances at all. He'll provide for his tribe and stuff, but what he wants is the other tribe members to prove that they know how to play, which they did when he was "bamboozled". Hatch was not really there to play. The same goes for Tina.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #89 on: March 04, 2011, 11:11:52 AM »

Richard Hatch made the same mistake in the all star season.  He figured he was cool and was content to not do very much.  All the sudden he realized the heat was on and put together and excellent strategy, but it was too late to matter.  Every one of the girls didn't like Colby and immediately regretted not voting him out.  If Hatch had done more to be liked and not seen as dead weight, he could have built himself a solid alliance and been a real force against Boston Rob.  Plus, he was a solid challenge player and would have kept Mogo Mogo stronger into the merge.

It baffles me that some Survivor players don't understand the importance of laying the groundwork for future alliances.  Even when you have a rock solid group, the tides might change and you need new people to have your back.

Gonna have to correct you on this Reap...

Hatch has gone on record saying that he never really cared that much about the All-Stars season. If he cared, he would not have come back. There is no possible way that he would have salvaged his reputation as the first winner by going on a season that he will be targeted so quickly. Notice how in all but one episode, he really doesn't care about alliances at all. He'll provide for his tribe and stuff, but what he wants is the other tribe members to prove that they know how to play, which they did when he was "bamboozled". Hatch was not really there to play. The same goes for Tina.

I'm actually willing to believe Hatch, because he was strangely detached from everything even when he lost.  So I guess you could say my post is a bit off in that he didn't play the way he did fully because of ego.
Over and over again

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #90 on: March 04, 2011, 11:20:32 AM »
Yeah, I think it might have been partly because of ego. He did try to save himself, possibly thinking that the other players were just not at his level. But, he knew that he was not going to do well.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #91 on: March 04, 2011, 02:42:53 PM »
Wow.  That All-Star season was one of the most intense things I've ever seen.  Put up next to any show it's a Pantheon season of television.
Over and over again

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #92 on: March 04, 2011, 09:38:57 PM »
I don't remember much of that all-star season except for Lex crying like a little girl when he got voted out. 

And I don't think Rob is this all-time great player that a lot of others do.  He is no better than Russell or any other great strategic player who was too abrasive to win over enough people to actually win the game.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #93 on: March 04, 2011, 11:19:07 PM »
I don't remember much of that all-star season except for Lex crying like a little girl when he got voted out. 

And I don't think Rob is this all-time great player that a lot of others do.  He is no better than Russell or any other great strategic player who was too abrasive to win over enough people to actually win the game.

Yeah, this is how I feel. Rob has all the components of a great winner, but has never had them all at once. He was social and strategic in Marquesas, but his tribe was not physical enough, and they were down in numbers during the merge, so Rob was doomed.
Rob was physical and strategic during All-Stars, but his social game took a hit, and he pissed off too many people.
In Heroes vs Villains, he was physical and social, but he wasn't strategic enough to adapt his game to the modern iteration of Survivor, and got owned by the hidden immunity idol.
If Rob wants to win Redemption Island, he needs to be social, strategic, and physical. So far, he's playing harder than in Heroes vs Villains, and he's assembled a strong alliance; so he has the social and strategic parts down. If his tribe can win more challenges, he'll be in a great spot.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #94 on: March 05, 2011, 04:45:21 PM »

If Rob isn't an all time great player than who is?  I know one girl won twice, so I'd probably want to check out her game.  But at some point your game can't be completely without weaknesses or else you're not doing anything to win either.
Over and over again

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #95 on: March 06, 2011, 06:36:07 AM »
I think it's pretty subjective as to who is a "great" player.
As players get bigger and better, the opinion gets more split on how good they are.
When Russell was just starting out in Samoa, everyone thought he was great. However, with each subsequent time he returns, people starting saying "Russell's game is not that great". The same can be said for Rob.
I, personally am onboard the Boston Rob train. I think he has everything he needs to win, and he is quite capable of getting to the end. Unlike Russell, Boston Rob could get jury votes, so I think Boston Rob has a shot at winning.
Still, I think the cast on Redemption Island looks pretty sharp. Zapatera's dominant alliance looks pretty killer, so it'll be interesting to see that play out.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #96 on: March 09, 2011, 10:48:13 PM »
As happy as I was to finally see Russell meet his downfall, this was...not what I was expecting. Maybe Russell really was the king. I expected the day he finally did go out would be met with an intense buildup and Russell would go out with a roar. Instead, this was a whimper. A great villain should meet a great downfall. This was not the same great downfall that villains like Jonny Fairplay and All-Stars Boston Rob got in their seasons. Tis a shame.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #97 on: March 10, 2011, 06:40:56 AM »
For as much of a self-centered, egomaniacal attention whore as Russell is, I really did not want to see him go.  His tribe throwing a challenge just to get rid of him irritates the hell out of me.  I will rejoice to see Ralph get knocked off his hairy, backwoods high horse and leave the game.  I liked how after getting upset, Russell composed himself and told the other tribe everything he could think of to call out his former tribe.  Of course a lot of those things could change by the time the merge comes, but still.

And Phillip.  Every single episode, I'm like "What is going to be up with this guy tonight?"  The guy is all the reason in the world to watch Survivor this season.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #98 on: March 10, 2011, 08:28:31 AM »
I disagree with the throwing the challenge point. It is a legitimate strategy, and I'm sure that the Zapatera majority alliance are quite happy with their position. And they won last night, so it's not like they lost momentum.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #99 on: March 10, 2011, 08:36:38 AM »
I'm not saying it didn't work for them, I'm just saying I didn't like it.  I thought it was kinda childish.  You put up with your tribemates until you have no CHOICE but to vote one of them out, because you lost a challenge despite your best effort.  You win at all costs, no matter what.  They missed out on some good gear by throwing it.  Again, it worked for them, in getting rid of Russell, but I don't see that they've really gained much by losing Russell either.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #100 on: March 10, 2011, 08:56:11 AM »
I'm not saying it didn't work for them, I'm just saying I didn't like it.  I thought it was kinda childish.  You put up with your tribemates until you have no CHOICE but to vote one of them out, because you lost a challenge despite your best effort.  You win at all costs, no matter what.  They missed out on some good gear by throwing it.  Again, it worked for them, in getting rid of Russell, but I don't see that they've really gained much by losing Russell either.

In most other circumstances, I would agree. But with Russell, they knew the damage he could do (hell, the damage he almost did when he tried to flip Julie). They may not have gained much, but they saved themselves a lot of trouble down the road. I'm sure if they had let him get to the merge and align with the other tribe, they would be kicking themselves, wishing that they had voted him off earlier.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #101 on: March 10, 2011, 09:02:19 AM »
Could be.  I don't know HOW many times tribes have kept someone on that they KNEW they should get rid of, but just couldn't seem to do it and it always bites them in the ass.

EDIT:  So now, apparently Parvati will be doing a weekly recap for Hollywood Reporter:

Parvati Recap
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 09:16:53 AM by Sir GuitarCozmo »

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #102 on: March 10, 2011, 10:47:14 AM »
Cool to see Parvati sounding off. She needs a little work on her blogging skills. She's not as good with words as she is at Survivor.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #103 on: March 17, 2011, 07:52:09 AM »
Interesting episode last night.  I liked how Krista and Stephanie were basically alreayd giving their votes to Rob, but they clearly didn't consider that they had to, you know, lobby to keep themselves in it, instead of sitting around camp all "woe is me".  Go on the offensive.  Say "Yeah we were wrong, but I'll vote however you want, if you keep me around."  Just seemed really stupid to me.

Also, Rob is amazing.

Reality Blurred has their recap up.  He has a link to a pretty funny video of Phillip's "never" moment, when Andrea asked if he'd ever thrown her under the bus.

https://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/archives/survivor_redemption_island/2011_Mar_17_slump

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: March 17, 2011, 08:03:47 AM »
Not the most interesting episode last night, but:

Rob is amazing.