Author Topic: The Survivor Thread  (Read 186499 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: The Survivor Thread
« Reply #1750 on: May 24, 2017, 07:22:54 AM »
3 (2+1) hour finale tonight!

I need Culpepper to finish in final three in order to get a payday in the office pool.

And I'm glad this season is ending. Haven't been impressed at all, more annoyed than anything.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1751 on: May 24, 2017, 07:24:19 AM »
Yeah, I'm not usually this annoyed with Survivor, but I guess when you have an All-Stars season, it becomes more likely than not that you'll end up annoyed somehow.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1752 on: May 24, 2017, 07:51:32 AM »
Yeah, I'm not usually this annoyed with Survivor, but I guess when you have an All-Stars season, it becomes more likely than not that you'll end up annoyed somehow.

I was more annoyed with how 'orchestrated' it felt/feels. Probst and the producers went above and beyond to suck all the spontaneity out of the show with the non stop 'game changing' twists.

That couples with a few 'less than reality' moments in the show that felt very scripted...it really put me off this season.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1753 on: May 24, 2017, 07:58:31 AM »

I was more annoyed with how 'orchestrated' it felt/feels. Probst and the producers went above and beyond to suck all the spontaneity out of the show with the non stop 'game changing' twists.

That couples with a few 'less than reality' moments in the show that felt very scripted...it really put me off this season.

I'm with you. Too many forced and contrived moments this season. I like it when they mix things up for a season, but not when it's seemingly random from week to week for the sake of it. And having returning players has added little.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1754 on: May 24, 2017, 08:00:43 AM »
The complete randomness, under the guise of "ZOMGGAMECHANGER" it what has really screwed it up this season.

In other news, despite having a separate and unused thread for it, I've really enjoyed this current season of Amazing Race.  Complete strangers picking each other for teams.  It's been interesting to see the dynamic between people who have to learn how to work with someone they've never even met.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1755 on: May 24, 2017, 08:04:07 AM »
Used to watch that show all the time. Somewhere along the line i stopped, don't remember why....just did.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1756 on: May 24, 2017, 08:06:48 AM »
I was bummed that it was NOT in the fall lineup and very happy to see that it returned for the spring.  It's on Friday nights, but we DVR it and watch it on Sunday night after dinner.  I only started watching it probably half way through the history of the series (same with Survivor), so I missed a lot of the early seasons, when they were still figuring out how to conduct the show and what worked and didn't.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1757 on: May 24, 2017, 08:24:20 AM »
I started to lose interest in the Amazing Race, then they had a season of nothing but generic couples, and then I was out for good. Haven't bothered since.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1758 on: May 24, 2017, 06:39:30 PM »
HOLY CRAP AT THAT FIRST TRIBAL
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1759 on: May 24, 2017, 07:36:45 PM »
Un-fucking-believable first TC.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1760 on: May 24, 2017, 09:14:18 PM »
That's a horseshit win. Fn Sarah? Reallly? Joke of a season ends in a joke of a win.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1761 on: May 25, 2017, 04:08:18 AM »
I disagree, she played her ass off. I would have been OK with her or Culpeper, but he definitely screwed himself by getting Tai voted out.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1762 on: May 25, 2017, 07:23:20 AM »
I disagree, she played her ass off. I would have been OK with her or Culpeper, but he definitely screwed himself by getting Tai voted out.

Totally get that....especially the part where Brad was an idiot for taking Sarah in the first place....literally the only person left that could beat him.

I may have been a tad emotional in my post because I missed a chance to win some $$ in the office pool....got my money back but could have had another $160 on top of it.

But, I don't think she 'played her ass off'. I don't consider Sarah's game a 'playing your ass off' type of game. The lying and double crossing, backstabbing flip flop game that she and countless other players have played does not impress me AT ALL. I've never liked that 'style' of play....if it is even a style.

Her in particular spent 3/4 of the game on the bottom of whichever alliance she thought she was in....she was repeatedly surprised and dumbfounded at who was getting voted off because she was never clued in....all in all....she got as lucky as the Nashville Predators the entire game to end up in the third position.

I personally consider the way Culpepper, Ozzy, Fighter pilot Terry, Malcolm...etc....play a more 'honorable' way to play. Dominate challenges, work with an alliance...sure there will be some level of lying and deceit but it's not on the level of desperation like Sarah, Tai and others play it. For Culpepper to rip off FIVE immunity challenges basically in a row because he knew if he didn't win he was going home was WAY more impressive to me than Sarah being lucky about getting some legacy advantage and accidentally finding herself still there in the final days.

But whatever....like I said....this season basically was a season of disappointment and annoyance anyway so why not top it off with someone who shouldn't even have made it that far winning it all.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1763 on: May 25, 2017, 11:39:21 AM »
Yeah, that whole TC with Cirie going out was unreal.  And, I think, it's only going to make things worse as far as Immunity Idols go.  Andy at Reality Blurred speculates that this is what's going to happen with immunity idol distribution on the upcoming season, after having seen the drama that a 5-idol TC created:

I can't say I disagree.  Probst is going to run with this.  As someone ends up on the shit list, there's literally going to be a big neon sign put up, in big bold colors that says "THERE IS AN IMMUNITY IDOL RIGHT HERE BEHIND THIS TREE, ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS KICK A ROCK OUT OF THE WAY AND IT IS YOURS, NOW FOLLOW THE TRAIL OF POPCORN TO THE NEXT NEON SIGN FOR ANOTHER IDOL".

I'm bummed that you missed out on the pool money, but I was perfectly happy to see Sarah win.  I was okay with Brad up until he starting pushing Tai around and coming off like an asshole.  Good on him for making that right at the finale last night.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1764 on: May 25, 2017, 01:47:11 PM »
I'm bummed that you missed out on the pool money, but I was perfectly happy to see Sarah win.  I was okay with Brad up until he starting pushing Tai around and coming off like an asshole.  Good on him for making that right at the finale last night.
[/quote]

Yeah...Sarah wasn't the worst example of someone who shouldn't have won. My initial post after it all last night was a bit harsh. She's a cop...so I'm glad she got some $$ being that they don't typically make a ton of dough. Brad didn't need or want the money....he just wanted to win. I don't know if you've noticed or not but I tend to get a tad emotional about things  :(  so I was all fired up and on 'team Culpepper' to win it all....

I agree that his attitude towards the end started to get annoying. His competitive nature coupled with no sleep and no food probably contributed to it....but if I had to speculate I'd guess he's probably a 'rough' personality in real life already.

I still ended up 'winning' $10 after getting paid out today...so it wasn't all that bad. Typically we have enough for (2) separate pools....$10 a player and I usually buy (2) players for each pool. So I was 'all in' for $40.... "won" $50...so, I got my money back plus a bit extra.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1765 on: May 26, 2017, 12:18:40 AM »

I agree. Culpepper played a great game, especially towards the end when he won those immunity challenges, but Tai was the safe option to beat. And his social game towards the end was kind of sucky, and I didn't want him to win with how badly he was treating Tai (even though I disliked Tai too). But huge credit to him for winning so many challenges, and I recall at least 3 of them he dominated at the puzzle section, not just physical strength as you'd expect. He definitely would have been a worthy winner. The only one who didn't really deserve it was Troyzan, and I think he kind of knew it. Every final 3 has that one person who never had a chance, and he was it.
Also, this is the first time in a while where the winner didn't feel clear cut. Usually it's plainly obvious who was going to win in a landslide. This time, I genuinely didn't know whether they'd go with Culpepper or Sarah, because both had their strengths.

That first tribal where Cirie got voted out was crazy. 5 people safe, and someone voted out by default? Damn. Although it kind of makes me sus about all of those times when Tai should have played one of his idols and he didn't. The perfect storm just kind of felt a bit too perfect, with all of these things that had to be played by that point.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1766 on: May 26, 2017, 06:28:22 AM »
Hence the "Trouble with Tribbles" gif, referencing how many immunity idols will show up next season.  :lol

Yeah, I think by the end of final TC, Troyzan was like "Look, I know you guys aren't gonna vote for me, it's cool, I'm just glad to be here".

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1767 on: December 20, 2017, 08:51:28 PM »
The level at which the producers are influencing the winners of the past few seasons with ‘fortunate’ twists and idols and advantages in the game is getting real annoying.

Ben played a good game but the last two idols and especially the last ‘advantage’ were specifically implemented to make sure he didn’t get voted out or go home.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1768 on: May 15, 2019, 09:18:38 PM »
Worst.

Mother.

Fucking.

Twist.

And.

Season.

Ever.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1769 on: May 15, 2019, 10:35:14 PM »
Worst.

Mother.

Fucking.

Twist.

And.

Season.

Ever.

Coz out of nowhere! Nice  :metal

We are a couple episodes behind.....now this comment makes me want to get caught up quick just to see what you’re talking about.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1770 on: May 16, 2019, 09:03:42 AM »
Absolutely ridiculous clusterfuck. I hope to God they never attempt this EoE "twist" ever again. Fucking awful. I wanted to throw shit at my TV like a shoe or a dump truck.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #1771 on: May 18, 2019, 12:00:37 PM »
Worst.

Mother.

Fucking.

Twist.

And.

Season.

Ever.
I have no idea what you're talking about (I've watched three seasons of survivor and two of them were during GWB's first term) but is it worse than the "twist" at the F4 of HvHvH?
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1772 on: May 18, 2019, 12:05:24 PM »
You mean the "how can we get veteran Ben to the end" challenge? Yes that was a horribly conceived twist also. I saw a fantastic analysis of all of this from BB's Evel Dick:

Survivor was like starting a marathon at the gun. Chris makes a left off the course at the 3 mile mark, takes a cab to a bar 100 yards from the finish. Buys everyone drinks for hours. Jumps into the race before the pack & wins. The bar ppl are judges & say it's cool, he won.

And I've missed maybe 4-5 seasons of Survivor total. This was just bad.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #1773 on: May 19, 2019, 10:11:18 AM »
Ah so it's like if Lil won Pearl Islands but instead of the outcast tribe having Survivor-esque living conditions she went to Ponderosa?

And yeah that was the HHH twist I was referring to. Left a piss-poor aftertaste to what, as far as I can tell, is otherwise considered a pretty decent season.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1774 on: May 20, 2019, 06:22:39 AM »
Yeah, the fire-making twist, while it showcases one of the fundamental things you must know how to do in Survivor, is left a little too much to chance.  WAY too many variables that can affect fire making and I do not think it is a fair way of deciding who the 3rd finalist is.  Even though this time around, they put them in the voting booth area, where there would be less wind, it still just feels all wrong.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #1775 on: May 23, 2019, 08:48:00 AM »
They also kept forking over those damn idols to Ben and it was clear that they just wanted to circlejerk about veterans for ratings imo

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1776 on: May 23, 2019, 09:22:28 PM »
OK..got caught up and finally finished the season. The fact that Devens didn’t win this season is a travesty.....and that Chris did makes it even worse. I’m pretty sure if given the chance we’d all only eat 300 calories a day for 35 days to win a million bucks. That’s ALL he did. Choosing to take on Devens in the fire making challenge wasn’t brave at all. Brave would have been saving him and taking him on in the jury.

These past few seasons have been pretty contrived....more so than they had been. It’s getting pretty unwatchable now. Honestly, if my 9 year old didn’t like it so much not sure I’d continue watching.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1777 on: May 05, 2020, 11:46:54 AM »
Who's watching the new Winners at War season?  Thoughts?

I'm not a fan of the Edge of Extinction twist.  It's an awful idea and it was incredibly poorly executed in S38.  All of the people I'd have wanted to see win, were voted to EoE already.  Tyson, Ethan, and Yul, though there's a good chance one of them will make it back at the upcoming challenge.  Two hours tomorrow night, then the three hour finale next week.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1778 on: May 06, 2020, 11:27:04 AM »
Who's watching the new Winners at War season?  Thoughts?

I'm not a fan of the Edge of Extinction twist.  It's an awful idea and it was incredibly poorly executed in S38.  All of the people I'd have wanted to see win, were voted to EoE already.  Tyson, Ethan, and Yul, though there's a good chance one of them will make it back at the upcoming challenge.  Two hours tomorrow night, then the three hour finale next week.

I'm watching with my wife.  My wife has seen every season (and has re-watched several seasons multiple times).  She's a huge fan.  I don't think I have ever watched an entire season.  I usually watch the first couple episodes of a season and lose interest and then pick it up toward the end of the season.  I enjoy the challenges but don't like all of the blather (i.e., the social aspect of it).  I also think Rob Marinara (or whatever his last name is) is a complete tool.

Although I have watched every episode of this season, I find that it's fairly unenjoyable -- especially recent episodes.  My wife agrees.  The "edge of extinction" seems particularly stupid.  It's a rather transparent attempt to keep the most popular contestants on the show (sort of) so that their fans don't tune out.  I haven't counted, but it now seems like there are more people on "the edge" than there are people still "in the game."  If I recall correctly, only one person has actually been eliminated to this point (and that's only because she quit rather than go to "the edge").  They brought one guy back from "the edge," but he was promptly sent right back.  The "challenges" that they do on "the edge" are completely boring.  Hey, let's spend 10 minutes watching a dozen people run around and move coconuts from one side of the island to the other!  I can't help but think that Michael Jackson's father would really enjoy this, but it's otherwise a complete waste of air time.

And, as my wife noted, they used to do two challenges per episode (reward and immunity), but they've only done one on most episodes this season.  And don't even get me started on the last few tribal councils.  These people get hours to sit around on the beach and figure out how they're going to vote, but they have to have this last minute, junior high school whisper fest?  Even my wife just fast-forwards through it to get to the vote.

I will, however, say that watching that one guy try to extract the fleur-de-lis from the host's podium was quite amusing.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1779 on: May 06, 2020, 11:53:55 AM »
Although I'm getting tired of the whispering at tribal council, I am enjoying this season.

I really hope someone from Extinction gets back into the game and wins it.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1780 on: May 06, 2020, 01:07:33 PM »
I'm watching with my wife.  My wife has seen every season (and has re-watched several seasons multiple times).  She's a huge fan.  I don't think I have ever watched an entire season.  I usually watch the first couple episodes of a season and lose interest and then pick it up toward the end of the season.  I enjoy the challenges but don't like all of the blather (i.e., the social aspect of it).  I also think Rob Marinara (or whatever his last name is) is a complete tool.

Although I have watched every episode of this season, I find that it's fairly unenjoyable -- especially recent episodes.  My wife agrees.  The "edge of extinction" seems particularly stupid.  It's a rather transparent attempt to keep the most popular contestants on the show (sort of) so that their fans don't tune out.  I haven't counted, but it now seems like there are more people on "the edge" than there are people still "in the game."  If I recall correctly, only one person has actually been eliminated to this point (and that's only because she quit rather than go to "the edge").  They brought one guy back from "the edge," but he was promptly sent right back.  The "challenges" that they do on "the edge" are completely boring.  Hey, let's spend 10 minutes watching a dozen people run around and move coconuts from one side of the island to the other!  I can't help but think that Michael Jackson's father would really enjoy this, but it's otherwise a complete waste of air time.

And, as my wife noted, they used to do two challenges per episode (reward and immunity), but they've only done one on most episodes this season.  And don't even get me started on the last few tribal councils.  These people get hours to sit around on the beach and figure out how they're going to vote, but they have to have this last minute, junior high school whisper fest?  Even my wife just fast-forwards through it to get to the vote.

I will, however, say that watching that one guy try to extract the fleur-de-lis from the host's podium was quite amusing.

My wife and I started watching on Season 13.  I've recently gone back to watch all the old ones I never saw before that and am up to Season 8, the first All-Stars season.  I celebrate Survivor.  The first Episode of Season 40 was like Christmas morning here.

As far as Rob goes, I will say that I was cheering for him to win Redemption Island.  Since then, I've seen Survivor Africa and become a big fan of Lex.  Last Season, Rob made mention of what he did to Lex in All Stars and I JUST saw that episode yesterday, while on the treadmill.  I don't think I've ever been angrier at a TV show after how Rob fucked Lex in that episode and I hope to God after this season is over, I never see Rob on my TV again.

I hate the EoE "twist", as noted.  When EoE showed up in Season 38, I hated it.  The winner, Chris, played 13 of 39 days in-game.  Yes, he was on EoE, so not technically out of the game, but he didn't have to strategize, he didn't have to belabor who to vote out, he didn't have to suffer the consequences of who he helped vote out, etc.  And, with the added twist of the remaining EoE members becoming the jury, they ALL got to bond with one another, so OF COURSE the jury, who consists of almost ALL people who've spent weeks on EoE, are going to vote for the person who was out there with them.  I was irritated as hell that Gavin didn't win.  Enough people have bitched about it that in an interview with Rob (Cesternino) Has a Podcast, Probst said "I'VE HEARD YOU, IT'S NOT COMING BACK ANYTIME SOON".

Good.

The three people I would most like to see win are Tyson, Yul, and/or Ethan, probably in that order.  First season I saw Tyson, I thought he was a dick, but in subsequent seasons, I realized I was wrong.  And listening to him on RHAP's News AF podcast each week, I realize that he's sarcastic and hilarious.  And Yul was the winner of the first season I watched.  Ethan, he's just a great guy.

And yeah, I was REALLY hoping that Adam was right and that the fleur-de-lis WAS an idol.  That would've been EPIC.

Although I'm getting tired of the whispering at tribal council, I am enjoying this season.

I really hope someone from Extinction gets back into the game and wins it.

The getting up and running around and whispering is starting to get old.  "Live" Tribal Councils like this were exciting and fresh when JT started doing it, but now it's all over the place and it's getting out of hand.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1781 on: May 06, 2020, 02:16:10 PM »
Could you imagine if Natalie made it back from "the edge"and ended up winning?!

By the way, I only really know Natalie from when she and her "twinnie!" were on The Amazing Race.  They were one of the most obnoxious teams in the history of that show.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1782 on: May 06, 2020, 02:48:10 PM »
Good God, were they ever. Then when they came to Survivor for Blood v Water, fortunately Nadiya went out soon. Natalie is a fucking beast. Destroying it out there and I wouldn't be surprised to see her come back into the game.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #1783 on: May 09, 2020, 08:44:10 PM »
I'm hoping whoever comes back from Extinction wins the whole thing, just because there is nobody left on the island who I’m rooting for. I definitely don't want Ben or Tony to win.

The one thing I do like about this season is the fire tokens, and how that adds a new dynamic to the game. I hope they continue with this in future seasons.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1784 on: May 13, 2020, 09:43:41 AM »
The fire tokens are a cool twist that isn't terrible.  The "I can charge however much I want to extort you" part of it kinda sucks, but Tony managed to pull it off.

3 hours tonight.  I can't say this has gone any way that I'd have hoped it would and now with the remote reunion, it's gonna be weird.  Again, I hate EoE so much and I hope it NEVER returns.  As much as the people I'd like to see win are over there, I don't like seeing an EoE winner.