Author Topic: The Survivor Thread  (Read 186964 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: The Survivor Thread
« Reply #910 on: April 03, 2014, 12:24:36 AM »
I thought the episode was kind of average until that tribal council! One of the best tribals this season.

I agree it's a shame that LJ and Tony used up their idols when they didn't need to, but they did seem like obvious choices for the other tribe, rather than taking out an easy lower member for numbers.
The fallout from that next week will be very interesting.

Any guesses on the "different powers" of this new idol? I have a suspicion it might not all be in favour of the person who finds it. It wouldn't surprise me if it had some catch, like you can only use it for another person, or that it can be used for yourself and another person at the same tribal, or that it has to be public, or it's used in a different way, or something like that. I don't think it can gain a lot of extra power specifically for the person who finds it. That would be too powerful.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #911 on: April 03, 2014, 06:44:21 AM »
Excellent tribal council.  Bummed that those guys didn't need to use their idols.  Had either of them been voted for, it would have been a ridiculously spectacular event.  It was awesome anyway, but that would have put it completely over the top.  Why in God's name they were so damned dead set on voting Jefra out, I have no idea.  She is not a threat by any stretch of the imagination.  Sarah knew this, that's why she kept arguing the point.  Just doesn't make sense to me.  But the look on Sarah's face when the final vote was read - PRICELESS.  She looked like you 'd just slapped her in the face with a mackerel.  :lol

As to the special power idol, read about it here:

https://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/archives/survivor_cagayan/2014_Feb_25_tyler-perry-idol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #912 on: April 05, 2014, 07:07:48 AM »
I don't get why LJ even played his idol.  That was dumb.  He was safe.  Is he forgetting that it's an individual game?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #913 on: April 05, 2014, 07:17:47 AM »
I don't get why LJ even played his idol.  That was dumb.  He was safe.  Is he forgetting that it's an individual game?

I think he was feeling guilt of having Tony play his idol for him, when it was very possible Tony was going home, and LJ already had an idol. Strategically it was a dumb move, so I think it was purely guilt.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #914 on: April 05, 2014, 08:03:34 AM »
Guilt?  This is Survivor!

I hope he loses.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Milzinga

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #915 on: April 07, 2014, 02:05:35 PM »
I thought the episode was kind of average until that tribal council! One of the best tribals this season.

I agree it's a shame that LJ and Tony used up their idols when they didn't need to, but they did seem like obvious choices for the other tribe, rather than taking out an easy lower member for numbers.
The fallout from that next week will be very interesting.

Any guesses on the "different powers" of this new idol? I have a suspicion it might not all be in favour of the person who finds it. It wouldn't surprise me if it had some catch, like you can only use it for another person, or that it can be used for yourself and another person at the same tribal, or that it has to be public, or it's used in a different way, or something like that. I don't think it can gain a lot of extra power specifically for the person who finds it. That would be too powerful.

My thought is that the idol can be played after the votes are read. Like if you get voted out, you can use it to save yourself or someone else after the fact. That'd be crazy.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #917 on: April 09, 2014, 10:52:49 PM »
Good episode tonight. That idol hunt was crazy, and Spencer was lucky to pull that off with everyone else searching at the same time. I'm glad he didn't waste it on anyone else at tribal.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #918 on: April 10, 2014, 07:27:17 AM »
Good episode tonight. That idol hunt was crazy, and Spencer was lucky to pull that off with everyone else searching at the same time. I'm glad he didn't waste it on anyone else at tribal.

No kidding. I find it annoying when people do that....like what was discussed earlier when LJ did it out of apparent guilt or honor. Just a dumb move IMO...but then again had that tribe been thinking 'correctly' LJ and the cop should have been targets 1 & 2.

It was odd they voted out Morgan who like they pointed out was not a threat on any level. I'd have voted out Tasha or Jeremiah...but oh well. As long as LJ remains I continue to have a shot at the office pool which I believe was up to $180. I need him to win an individual immunity or two....hope the next challenge is a puzzle challenge because he's been smoking everyone in those.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #919 on: April 10, 2014, 08:26:28 AM »
The set design department is gonna have to pull double duty to make anybody else but Jefra contribute to the "eye-candy" part of Survivor.

I think that the idol Spencer found was just a regular every day idol.  I don't think that was the special power idol.

Tony is a douche.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #920 on: April 10, 2014, 08:41:07 AM »
I think that the idol Spencer found was just a regular every day idol.  I don't think that was the special power idol.

He said it was a normal idol upon reading the note, which means there are multiple idols. Not sure whether they'll be giving out clues to the special one, or maybe they'll have to buy the clue to that one in the obligatory food challenge. :P

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #921 on: April 10, 2014, 08:43:34 AM »
The set design department is gonna have to pull double duty to make anybody else but Jefra contribute to the "eye-candy" part of Survivor.

Tony is a douche.

I agree on all of these statments. Actually, Spencer did read it aloud and the last sentence said "this is a regular idol". They've presented the previews in such a way that makes it appear that Tony will be the first in line to go all paranoid crazy....that' should be entertaining.

I did think though that the whole sequence of Spencer stripping down to find the idol then folding up the clue in his pants....then Woo grabbing his pants was a bit contrived and looked to be very staged IMO. I'm under no illusion that the situations we see them in on television aren't heavily influenced by producers 'suggesting' them to act in a certain manner. There's just no way you leave a clue to an idol out like that, especially when you've already read it and know where to look.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #922 on: April 12, 2014, 05:41:05 AM »
I am now rooting for everyone on the "leading" alliance to lose.  Voting out Boobs McGhee was the worst possible move.  She's the kind of player you want to keep around as long as possible, because there is little, if any, chance of her actually winning.  Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Offline jcmistat

« Reply #923 on: April 14, 2014, 01:18:48 AM »
I am now rooting for everyone on the "leading" alliance to lose.  Voting out Boobs McGhee was the worst possible move.  She's the kind of player you want to keep around as long as possible, because there is little, if any, chance of her actually winning.  Dumb, dumb, dumb.

I agree it was a bad strategy. Some reason I decided to watch this season after not watching since Gabon and then years before that but I'm enjoying it. Anyone else think that the last immunity challenge was insane? I don't think I could stand on my toes for 90 minutes and keep that block balanced like Spencer did.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #924 on: April 14, 2014, 07:21:07 AM »
Hell, no.  That HAD to be painful.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #925 on: April 16, 2014, 07:44:50 PM »
Dang. Thought I had a shot at the office pool with LJ.  :'(  as if Tony weren't annoying enough...now I really don't like him. And Wu....can he form a thought of his own or does he need others to do so for him. How gullible can you be?

Oh well. The longer he lasts the more I'm liking Spencer to win it.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #926 on: April 16, 2014, 10:18:33 PM »
I've really liked Tony from the start. If he can manipulate people that easily, they don't deserve to win. :lol

But I'd also really like Spencer to win it. He was the best from the Brains tribe, and he's playing a good game so far.

I like Wu, but he has far too much trust in Tony. He needs to get away from Tony at some point if he has a chance of winning.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #927 on: April 17, 2014, 07:40:31 AM »
I've really liked Tony from the start. If he can manipulate people that easily, they don't deserve to win. :lol

But I'd also really like Spencer to win it. He was the best from the Brains tribe, and he's playing a good game so far.

I like Wu, but he has far too much trust in Tony. He needs to get away from Tony at some point if he has a chance of winning.

Tony is playing a 'good' game of Survivor....but I think he's entering the stage where he's going to burn a lot of bridges and lose votes. Random blind sides and taking people out on your alliance over and over just doesn't win the game.

Anyone watch the Ponderosa episodes? I'm thinking Sarah really liked it when Morgan showed up....I mean, like she was really looking forward to it if you know what i mean  :o  ;)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #928 on: April 17, 2014, 07:47:22 AM »

Tony is playing a 'good' game of Survivor....but I think he's entering the stage where he's going to burn a lot of bridges and lose votes. Random blind sides and taking people out on your alliance over and over just doesn't win the game.

You're right. He's playing to get to the final 3, but not to win. Russell Hantz had the same problem. I still hope he gets far though, because I think he's entertaining.

And damn, I always forget about the Ponderosa episodes at this stage. I always like those.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #929 on: April 23, 2014, 10:36:26 PM »
It's a shame Spencer played his idol when he didn't need to, because things are getting tougher for him now, and I'd like to see him go all the way to the end. I know I'm probably alone on this, but I like Tony, so I was hoping he'd find the special idol.

I'm surprised all of those cameras didn't give away Tony's position while he was spying on the girls. It makes me wonder sometimes. :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #930 on: April 27, 2014, 04:47:15 AM »
I know I'm probably alone on this, but I like Tony, so I was hoping he'd find the special idol.
Yeah, probably.

But why in the world did he bring it out at tribal council, and then claim that it was a fake idol?  He's an idiot.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #931 on: April 30, 2014, 11:35:18 PM »
I'm so glad Spencer managed to hang in there. I really thought that last vote was gonna be for him.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #932 on: May 01, 2014, 06:48:20 AM »
Tony is turning into Russell:

He walks into the woods or the beach, to find a giant neon sign pointing to the ground saying "HEY TONY, THE IDOL IS BURIED HERE, RIGHT HERE, DIG BETWEEN THESE TWO EXPOSED ROOTS!"

Good strategist, but he'll have pissed off so many people that if he gets to the finals, sour grapes will lose it for him.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #933 on: May 01, 2014, 07:10:46 AM »
Um, he paid for a clue to the idol, then spent time searching for the right spot, and then and found the idol. Not really a shocker.

Speaking of which, I'm surprised how cheap they all got their food in this challenge. Nobody paid full price for anything, a lot of it under $100. I think that's unprecedented. An interesting approach to multiple people wanting the idol clue this time.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #934 on: May 01, 2014, 07:19:08 AM »
I know. He found the previous one pretty easily if I remember right. He's gotten very lucky with advantage. While I recognize that this is just dumb luck on his part, I guarantee that if I were to check out any Survivor forums, countless people are screaming "FIX". Can't say I'm a big fan of Tony, anyway.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #935 on: May 01, 2014, 07:25:46 AM »
It's also hard to judge things as a viewer when you're seeing an edit that shows you events in an interesting way that tells the story of the episode, so it makes things look more convenient than they are. He seemed to spend a while before even finding the right tree, and they can't spend half an hour showing his digging around.

I have seen things in the show, including this season, that do seem a bit convenient or planned, but we don't see everything that goes on either, so who can say one way or the other. It's reality TV, so you have to assume that there's at least a little bit of bending going on for entertainment.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #936 on: May 01, 2014, 07:28:50 AM »
Oh yeah, I get that. I'm saying kinda the same thing. When things look kinda too convenient, they have to expect people to scratch their heads a little.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #937 on: May 01, 2014, 07:35:13 AM »
Once you take out time for the necessities such as the aftermath from the previous tribal, the reward challenge, the immunity challenge, the conversations at camp, then tribal council, that doesn't leave a huge amount of time to dedicate to any other one particular thing.
Seeing people find a hidden immunity idol always looks convenient, especially if they are in the situation where they appear to need it that badly.

Offline Milzinga

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #938 on: May 02, 2014, 12:43:13 AM »
Bummed about Jefra, I really liked her and wanted her to do well.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #939 on: May 02, 2014, 09:27:43 AM »
Bummed about Jefra, I really liked her and wanted her to do well.
Funny, I thought she was an idiot and was way past time to go.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #940 on: May 02, 2014, 09:30:37 AM »
hefdaddy42:  Telling it like it is since 1972.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #941 on: May 02, 2014, 09:32:07 AM »
Jefra's the kind of person they only keep around for easy alliance numbers, being no threat at all in challenges or strategically, and being a surefire loser for the final vote.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #942 on: May 02, 2014, 09:34:50 AM »
hefdaddy42:  Telling it like it is since 1972.
*bows with a flourish*

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #943 on: May 02, 2014, 09:52:12 AM »
Once you take out time for the necessities such as the aftermath from the previous tribal, the reward challenge, the immunity challenge, the conversations at camp, then tribal council, that doesn't leave a huge amount of time to dedicate to any other one particular thing.
Seeing people find a hidden immunity idol always looks convenient, especially if they are in the situation where they appear to need it that badly.

One of the quick interviews with him he said "I finally found the idol" so I'd imagine he looked for that for some time, possibly over a day. I think he's burned too many bridges to win even if he gets to the end unless they buy his "I played the game and eliminated the threats as I had too" schtick he will try to sell.

At this point if either Tasha or Spencer make it to the end they'd win IMO. If they both make it I'd go Tasha, although I imagine Spencer will have a Cochran-esk type appeal to the Jury, well worded and thought out. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #944 on: May 03, 2014, 04:57:53 AM »
I think he's burned too many bridges to win even if he gets to the end unless they buy his "I played the game and eliminated the threats as I had too" schtick he will try to sell.
I think there is some validity to that POV, but he is just too much of an asshole in going about it.  He isn't quite as much of a villain as Russell was, but it will end up the same - for him to get to the end, he will have pissed off everyone else.