Author Topic: Marvellous G's Song Roulette - Round 8 Resuuuuults!  (Read 41192 times)

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Re: Marvellous G's Song Roulette
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2011, 01:24:17 PM »
I can text him if you guys want.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2011, 01:35:41 PM »
Yeah maybe he can pick a song. :lol
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2011, 01:40:03 PM »
I'm fine with whatever you guys want to do. I can always just judge Goon's song retroactively and award him the points he would have been given anyway, so it's no biggie if he misses the results this time as he won't be disadvantaged. Also,

Yeah maybe he can pick a song. :lol
:lol

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2011, 01:40:25 PM »
Yo DTF.

I'm going away tomorrow until the 15th. I won't have my phone or internet access. I love you all.

<3

That's over a week away.  No offense Joe, but I say either replace him or drop him.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2011, 01:42:21 PM »
THAT'S A BIT EXTREME

don't you think

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2011, 01:46:14 PM »
A bit...

TO THE MAX

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2011, 01:48:23 PM »
Damn, I was looking forward to Goon's picks.  :-\ But waiting till the 15th would lose quite a few rounds' worth at the rate you guys are sending them. I don't mind, but what seems like the best thing to do now is just to go on without him, then when he comes back if he wants he can just jump right in and send me the 3 or so songs he'll have missed, or he can just opt out if he doesn't want. Is that fair to him though? If so, results are ready NAO.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2011, 01:52:01 PM »
Yeah just skip him for now and see what he thinks about it when he gets back.

Maybe I'm just saying this because I want results... but idk :lol
I AM A GUY
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2011, 01:55:48 PM »
How about Jamesman picks for antigoon until he gets back?

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2011, 02:01:10 PM »
Okay, here we go, hopefully Goon will still join after though:

Round 1 – Open Round

1st Place – 6 Points
Kingshmegland                               Soft Bomb Salad                             I Mother Earth

What a cool song! It’s instantly pretty funky with a cool bassline that would be right at home at the beginning of a funk jam session instead of the alternative rock it anchors here. The guitar work in this track is also excellent and really evocative; it’s used sparingly and tastefully throughout purely to complement the atmosphere, which is really nice to hear. As you said, the singer immediately reminded me of Maynard’s work in Tool. The first half feels like it’s building up to something big, it’s very creepy, and when the song does go heavy in the second half it still manages to retain that funky vibe with the cool riff the guitar does backed up by some nice synth stuff. A fantastic guitar solo follows, then the song goes all creepy and funky again before moving to a brilliant outro that is basically a perfect conclusion to the song. Awesome stuff Shmeg, I’ll definitely be checking this band out afterwards! The similarity to Tool here might have made this a slightly comfort-zone song for me so I feel kind of bad for putting it THIS high, but it was just so damn good that I actually preferred it to some songs by my FAVOURITE band, so still a great pick.

2nd Place – 5 Points
Sonatafanica                          Thank You Too!           My Morning Jacket

Wow, very relaxing, and as it was the first song I listened to after my first and incredibly tiring day back at school this was really what I needed. The production stood out to me first, it just sounds really clean, and there’s some really lush instrumentation going on in the background with the strings complementing the vocals really nicely, all the layering is to great effect. I really liked the vocals, and the lyrics were also really nice and funny at points. The thing I picked up on after a few listens was how nicely the Rhodes piano (I think it is?) in the verses in the gaps between the singing works. I’m also gonna have to learn this on guitar, the rhythm stuff here is so soothing. Overall there’s not too much to say about this as it’s a fairly straightforward song, but everything that was there was excellent. And my God, that chorus is, for lack of a more hetero term, lovely. Last minute edit: after reading some of the shouts for this song on LastFM, I do sort of see what people mean when they say it’s slightly cheesy, but I think that adds to it if anything, and the people who insulted the strings are terrible human beings.

3rd Place – 4 Points
Fluffy Lothario                   Acknowledgement    Carlos Santana and John McLaughlin

Having heard the original A Love Supreme only a few times, I had a nice sort of recollection of this track on a very, very basic level. After the brilliant first few seconds which had me on completely the wrong foot for a moment, the track calms down into a really nice groove. What you mentioned about them paying tribute to Coltrane’s portrayal of spirituality through music really comes through here, and whilst the soloing is incredible and obviously the focus, the rhythm section creates a really nice backdrop that manages to mix Santana’s salsa style with the original’s jazziness. (Last Minute Edit: Larry Young, who I’ve just discovered as the organist thanks to the magic of Wikipedia, is actually subtly incredible here. I didn’t even really notice him on my first few listens, but he’s CONSTANTLY doing crazy and awesome stuff in the background here, which solves my internal question of how the sound managed to be so full when it was essentially a solo trading session. He’s just always doing amazing stuff that would probably be a great song just on it’s own!)  The solos have several brilliant peaks and Santana and McLaughlin really work superbly together. Overall this was a really nice interpretation, and a very, very good first pick that means I'll definitely be checking out Love Devotion Surrender after this roulette's done.

4th Place – 4 Points
Zxlkho                        Acronym Love                      Riverside

This is a band that I’ve heard countless good things about, but for some reason I’ve never gotten round to checking them out. This song will definitely finally motivate me to do so! The opening is almost jazzy and very mellow, and the guy’s voice is a little odd at first but once I got used to it, it was really nice and suited the song well. The solos are, as you say, epic, unbelievably so, and I love how the song swells and then calms back down again a few times. The leads throughout are awesome, and the guy’s tone is fantastic as well. The ending really took it to another level, with the guitar solo and piano both reaching awesome heights that calmed down perfectly. I actually think it was the outro that placed this above the song just below it, it's just unbelievably epic sounding and I still don't understand how they pull off the tempo change without me noticing it or it being jarring. Great track, I’ll definitely be sure to check this band out now.

5th Place – 3 Points
Gorille85        Summoning Scenes                    Unexpect

I was wondering when Gorille’s Unexpect pick would come.  :lol I’ll start off by saying that out of all the picks this one easily required the most listens before I felt ‘qualified’ to do the writeup for it. Soooo, a LOT of stuff going on here. I’ve heard a lot about Unexpect and how batshit insane their music is (in a good way) and this seemed like a great headfirst dive into their music. It’s INCREDIBLY abrasive, and remained so after like my first five listens. After that it started to make more sense, and I slowly began to love the vocal tradeoffs between the two singers, it worked really well. The music in the first half was breakneck and jumped around a lot, but, again, after a few listens, managed to feel far more cohesive than it did at first. There were some awesome thrash riffs buried in there also, and some of the violin leads I was hearing made me alternately lol and headbang. After the general insanity-turned-into-genius of the first 3 and a half minutes, it kicks into some 80s metal harmonies which were totally unexpected but also very cool, and after that there was a section that I’m gonna noobily say reminded me a LOT of Opeth. I’ll stop just listing the song structure now, and just say that despite my initial ‘WTF.’ reaction, this really grew on me and I really enjoy it now. I’d be very interested in hearing more of these guys, but I can’t imagine how long a whole album would take to start making any kind of sense. Still, a very very cool and incredibly composed, but very very initially confusing song.

6th Place – 3 Points
Space Invader                 The Sun In My Eyes               The Tangent

Probably the most instantly appealing song on this list, this is funky as hell and, as Space Invader said in his message, just plain fun. Again, the instrumentation here was excellent, and the chorus is so catchy and cheesy in a really great way, and the groove in the verses is so infectious that I can’t help but tap my foot along to it every time. The keyboard solo in the middle is also the kind of thing I wish Rudess did more often in DT now, it’s very over the top but in a sort of knowing way, and it fits the song so well. The lyrics in this song are also awesome in, again, a knowingly cheesy way. My only mild complaint is that I’m not a huge fan of the singer’s voice in the verses, but it suits the chorus so well that that complaint is completely erased by the amazing outro with even more awesome keyboard and guitar work. My only complaint is that it’s a little short, but that’s mainly due to me wanting more than the song being at fault. OH MY GOD the chorus is still stuck in my head as I post this, but I’m not complaining.

7th Place – 2 Points
Kári                                 What Else Is There?             Royksopp

This was also very, very cool. What struck me after my first listen of the song was how subtly and effectively the strings were used in the second half, they really added to the late night sort of atmosphere that the song got across to me. The last minute or so was also a very nice cooldown, even though the final few seconds CREEPED ME OUT when I listened late at night. Sonata might hate me for this as I’m a Bjork noob, but the vocals did remind me of what very little Bjork I’ve heard in a way, and they worked really well in the song. All of the effects that seem to be being used just below the surface of the track really help to create a mental picture as well, it’s so atmospheric and I love that about it. This was a great trip hop track overall, very atmospheric, so great pick!

8th Place – 2 Points
DTVT                         Guilt And The Like                     Mouth of The Architect

Ooh, very creepy feel, but in a good way. As you said the vocals aren’t really to my taste now, but after a few listens they sort of grew on me to the point where they didn’t make the song any worse at all. And they do fit. The music is awesome, kind of has a circus feel to it which works really well, and then the absolute heaviness that kicks in the middle has all the more impact. The vocals really suited the song perfectly in the second half, and I don’t even normally notice drums especially, but the drums in the ‘UNTIL THE EEEEND!’ bit went crazy, it was awesome. When it speeds up at around the 4 minute mark I also can’t help but headbang slightly, it’s such a metal moment. The outro felt like the silence after being shellshocked or something, it worked really well and ended on the sort of underlyingly creepy feel that the whole song had. Admittedly the vocals turned me off a bit, but this was still a good track.

9th Place – 1 Point
Portucci                     Paul Panzers Blues            Ton Steine Scherben

Wow, how the hell did this song end up finishing last? You guys have sent me some amazing stuff this round already, as I still really, really enjoyed this song! First off, I’d just like to get it out of the way that foreign music isn’t annoying to me at all, so people please feel free to send me songs of any language if you want. Right, this song was pretty damn cool, it was nothing extraordinary, but what it did, it did really well. I actually really like the guy’s voice, it complemented the grooviness of the instruments in an unexpected way that really worked for me. Plus, epic harmonica soloing throughout! Overall I did enjoy this a whole lot, it was a great song and I feel bad for scoring it this low, but it wasn’t as surprisingly good as some other stuff this round. I know you’ll be able to send me some mindblowing stuff as well though, so I wouldn’t worry here.

I would like to stress again that the bottom 3 tracks were all actually awesome, so I don't know what advice to give, you all blew my mind with amazing picks this round.  :lol

For Round 2, the category is 'emotional songs.' Whether you interpret that as a singer songwriter pouring their heart out alone with their guitar, or a massively overproduced ballad with an entire orchestra backing the band, or even a Comfortably Numb ripoff is up to you, as long as you justify why you think it's so emotional to you in your description. Good luck everyone, hopefully at least some of you will send terrible songs this time to make it easier for me.  :lol

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
Re: Marvellous G's Song Roulette - Round 1 Results, Page 2!
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2011, 02:21:58 PM »
When you decide to check out Riverside, start with Second Life Syndrome. Absolute masterpiece. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

EDIT: Song Sent.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 02:30:51 PM by zxlkho »
I AM A GUY

Offline jsem

« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2011, 02:32:24 PM »
Emotional eh.. lol. Wither guitar solo.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2011, 02:37:11 PM »
You're getting Enchant this round.  Still need to decide which song though.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2011, 04:01:57 PM »
I actually considered mentioning the keyboardist, but figured I'd keep quiet about him and see if you spotted him. He's exactly what they needed, he creatively builds a foundation for Santana and McLaughlin to work on. His subdued solo towards the end is great too, as good as any of the guitar solos in the song.

I think I know what I'm going to send. May sit on it overnight though.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2011, 04:08:16 PM »
Like this idea :tup

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2011, 05:35:13 PM »
Whooooo!!!!  I knew you'd like it. That CD is fantastic.  I'll think of a few songs and send it tomorrow.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Space Invader

• The Canadian Doctor Who Fanatic
  • DTF.org Member
  • Also recently addicted to Survivor
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2011, 05:55:20 PM »
Damn, I thought you might not like the sound of his voice. I'm kicking myself because there is an extended version of the song (9mins) with an extended intro and instrumental section. I just sent you the shorter one for the sake of time.

I'll have to think a while about the next song.
Everything can, should and will be progressive.

"The only thing that is certain is that nothing is certain" - Montaigne.

I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street over maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez - Eleventh Doctor

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2011, 09:23:35 PM »
Sent!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2011, 09:25:38 PM »
I'm glad you like Unexpect! Stay tuned for the new album that will come out in the next few months! :tup

Hum, I still need to think about which song to send...

EDIT: sent!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 10:02:34 PM by Gorille85 »

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • það besta sem guð hefur skapað er nýr dagur
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2011, 03:00:18 AM »
This is hard!

EDIT: And yeah, the last few seconds are supposed to flow into the next song, Circuit Breaker. :lol

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2011, 03:22:16 AM »
sent
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2011, 05:42:25 AM »
Like this idea :tup

If Goon wouldn't mind this I'd be completely fine with it, so please feel free if you want James!  :tup Doing my first round of listens of the new ones now, results could even be up this evening.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2011, 03:29:07 PM »
OK, I sent you a song for round 2, check your messages, brotha.

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2011, 08:55:08 AM »
Waitin' on Space Invader.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2011, 08:59:03 AM »
As for my songs score, I just have to say MarvellousG

I want to thaaaaaaaaaank you
for-all-that-you-are

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2011, 09:02:02 AM »
As for my songs score, I just have to say MarvellousG

I want to thaaaaaaaaaank you
for-all-that-you-are

It's still so relaxing, it's the first song that I actually put on my iPod to listen to when I go out of all the submissions so far.  :D

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2011, 09:10:36 AM »
So G.  Is this round a little easier for you to score?

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2011, 09:23:08 AM »
A bit this time; there's one clear winner so far, but after that it's impossible to separate the rest, there's no obvious bad one. Which is awesome, but difficult.  :lol

Offline Space Invader

• The Canadian Doctor Who Fanatic
  • DTF.org Member
  • Also recently addicted to Survivor
« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2011, 01:01:11 PM »
Waitin' on Space Invader.

Woops sorry.

Sent.

ON WITH THE GAME.
Everything can, should and will be progressive.

"The only thing that is certain is that nothing is certain" - Montaigne.

I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street over maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez - Eleventh Doctor

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2011, 01:34:01 PM »
Round 2 – Emotional Songs

1st Place – 6 Points

Fluffy Lothario
Rob Dougan – One And The Same (Instrumental)

My reaction when I first heard this:  :omg: and  :'( and  :hefdaddy all at the same time.

While it’s interesting that most of the other picks here went for songs where the lyrics were really the focus of the emotional stuff, Fluffy chose to go the opposite route and recommended this instrumental version. He also recommended that I listen with headphones first time round, which I did, and good lord. This was the closest any song this round came to bringing me to tears, but instead of the emotion just being like ‘wow, I can feel their pain,’ this was just sort of everything all at once; it was, as Fluffy said in his description, a nigh-on religious experience. I don’t really want to say too much about it, as there’s nothing structurally or instrumentally I could actually specifically pick on as making it as moving as I found it, but basically every single thing in the song is EXACTLY as it should be, and I wouldn’t change anything in it, which is something I can say for very, very few songs. As soon as I heard this I jumped to find a download for it, but then I thought that I might actually want to savour this and not listen too much, as it’s seriously the most emotion a song’s inspired in me in a very, very long time. Magnificent track.

2nd Place – 5 Points
Kari
Bon Iver – Re: Stacks

Weirdly, I actually really loved Justin Vernon’s voice here on first listen, which I wouldn’t expect as I normally take a while to get used to this kind of singing. The main word I’d use to describe this song is ‘haunting,’ the sparse instrumentation really works well to complement the (almost for me, and certainly for Vernon) heartbreaking lyrics. That guitar backing doesn’t get boring somehow, despite going on throughout the whole song, and by the end I was left sort of speechless. It really feels like Bon Iver poured their collective soul into this, and the final line really rammed home how emotional this was, in fact the entire last verse is wonderfully written. By the end I thought ‘this MUST be the album closer,’ and now thanks to Wikipedia I know it is, it really must be one of the most powerful closers of all time after listening to the whole album, which I now intend to do on the strength of this track. ‘This is not the sound of a new man, or a crispy realization,’ has got to be one of the best lyrics I’ve ever heard.

3rd Place – 4 Points
Gorille85
O+S – New Life

The production in this really is, as Gorille said in his message, incredible. Everything is perfectly balanced so you really hear everything that’s going on in the track with perfect clarity. Her voice does really sound desperate here, and it’s a weird kind of emotional song but a very good one. It’s like she’s trying to restrain her emotions, but you can still definitely feel them coming through. The background sounds in the second verse, and then throughout the song from then on, are amazing and paint a really nice visual picture in my head. The lyrics are also really good here, and she sounds more and more desperate and defeatist as the song goes on until the very end where you’re actually worried she might have committed suicide or something. :lol Not much to say about this, except that it was a very cool trip hip song, and a great pick for this round.

4th Place – 4 Points
Portucci
Forseti – Letzter Traum
As soon as this guy starts to sing, you can tell you’re gonna be in for a depressing ride. :lol The way he sings, despite the language barrier, gets across the sort of emotions that lyrics wouldn’t be able to express anywhere near as well. The instrumentation also adds to this depressing feel, with the flutes and stuff all giving the song a sort of ethereal atmosphere. What makes this all the more impressive is the fact, which Portucci told me in the description, that this guy is playing all the instruments himself, which I find amazing as all of them are so perfectly and understatedly used. Even when the tempo of the song picks up, it still sounds very dirge like, but without the ‘boring’ connotations that the term usually brings with it in music. The outro sounds almost hopeful, but the whole song just evokes depression so strongly that you can’t help but feel kind of drained by the end. A very emotional song, and a very good one too.

5th Place - 3 Points
Space Invader
The Pineapple Thief – My Debt To You

Wow, I’ve heard some TPT before but the singer’s voice never stood out to me as much as it did here, the singing is perfect for the lyrics and he’s got a really strong voice. Plus, the harmonies are perfectly done, ie not too many layers and not too few.The lyrics here are pretty good and nice, but not amazing or anything, which is okay, as the music is so good. The production is really good, specifically the really slight reverb/echo on his voice that I might just be tricking myself into hearing. There’s some great guitar work here that is weirdly depressing, and the final seconds of the song with the second-long entrance of the strings are really nicely done. This reminded me a bit of a cross between Radiohead and Porcupine Tree, which wasn’t a bad thing by any means. Good song, and one that will remind me to check out the rest of their discography I haven’t heard yet.

6th Place – 3 Points
Kingshmegland
Toto – I Will Remember

WOW, this song was immediately very powerful even before the lyrics had begun. I’ve always (guiltily? Possibly.) enjoyed every Toto song I’ve heard immensely, and this was no exception. The production is always awesome with Toto, and this was up to PT standards as soon as the drums kicked in. The lyrics are a bit cheesy, but based on what the band must have been going through at the time, I can’t really level that criticism, as they really do seem to be coming straight from the heart. When it kicks into the (pre?)chorus for the first time around 2 minutes in, I was blown away. The song is really emotional, but instead of just being so in a depressing way, it sounded more like a positive kind of sadness, which I needed after the emotional drain that a lot of the other submissions this round imposed on me :lol I think my favourite thing about this track took a while to realise and, much like Fluffy’s pick last round, it was the piano. The fills and stuff it does in the verses and the chorus really add to the sound of the song, and the intensity. This was another fairly long song (for it’s genre, at least) that went by in what felt like seconds, and every time I reach the 5 minute mark and THAT outro starts again it’s just so powerful. The ‘woahs’ or ‘oohs’ or whatever they are might not be to everyone’s taste, but I thought they worked excellently. I also love how the outro kind of mirrors the intro, and it’s cool how essentially the same thing can make such a good intro and outro. In short, Toto ftw.

7th Place – 2 Points
Sonatafanica
Bright Eyes - Easy/Lucky/Free

This was another pick that had great lyrics. What’s interesting is that I thought that 5 plus minutes sounded like a tough ask for a sinsger songwriter to keep me occupied, but when it reached the end I thought there were loads more verses left, it went by really quickly, which is definitely because I was so absorbed in the lyrics. I loved Oberst’s delivery, it really drove home the kind of attitude the song was condemning in a way that would have been funny were it not for how depressingly true and relevant it all was. My favourite lines were easily the ‘I never really dreamed of heaven much, Until we put him in the ground,’ couplet, it was so powerful the first time I heard it that coloured the whole song with the kind of morbid happiness that the music reflected really well, too. I’d already heard ‘I’m Wide Awake It’s Morning,’ before this but I’ll definitely have to check out their/his other work now, even though it’ll make me hate the world even more than I do now after hearing this.  :lol

8th Place – 2 Points
Zxlkho  
Brand New – The Boy Who Blocked His Own Shot

Looking at the other song titles on this album had me a bit worried about how emo this was going to be. :lol But this track wasn’t the genero-emo I’d been expecting, despite how crushingly sad it was. I followed along with the lyrics each time like you suggested, and they really are very well written, especially for this genre. By the time it got to ‘Standing trial for your sins, Holding onto yourself the best you can, You are the smell before the rain, You are the blood in my veins,’ it was almost unbearable, and the harmonies they had going on at this point really added to it. The guitar work here was also understated but I really liked it, and the numerous pauses they had between lines and stuff was also really interesting and added to the ‘depressed-stream-of-consciousness’ type vibe that I was getting. I’ll check out the albums you mentioned based on this track, it was pretty impressive.

9th Place – 1 Point
Jamesman
Disciple – One More Time

So, I’ll admit that, being an agnostic, I was a bit sceptical when Jamesman told me that this was a blatant praise song. HOWEVER, I went into this with as open a mind as possible, and I was not let down. I don’t need to agree with the lyrics whatsoever to see, when watching the video James linked me to, that this guy is just so into what he’s singing that I can’t help but be moved slightly, and the song is, while a little cheesy, really powerful. The chorus is, for lack of a less overused word, epic, and the vocals are just so emotional that I immediately get into the song every time I listen. The guitar parts are also great; I’ll have to give those a go sometime soon. But basically, despite me not being religious at all, this was a really great and emotional track that wasn’t hindered at all by its subject matter. My only problem would be that I do find it very cheesy, but I guess that’s the tradeoff you have to do when you make something as emotional as this. Cool pick.

10th Place – 1 Point
DTVT
Enchant – Pure

This was a nicely emotional song. The guitar work was what stood out to me here the most by far, with some great solos throughout the song. On repeated listens it keeps surprising me how well it transitions from the quiet and understated opening, to the crazy guitar theatrics and general ‘epicness’ of the second half. The lyrics here were also a bit cheesy, but I didn’t mind too much as it sort of fit the song nicely. That guitar at the beginning is also weirdly catchy, I’m gonna have to learn that and annoy my family with it for hours straight. :lol My only problem was that the guy’s voice wasn’t really to my tastes, which dragged the song down a bit. But yeah, not too much to say here, just a really nice song that was actually happily emotional, with some great electric and acoustic guitar work and really nice lyrics. It was good, but all of the picks this round were, once again, really enjoyable, so something has to come last.

Fluffy Lothario – 10 Points
Kingshmegland – 9 Points
Sonatafanica – 7 Points
Gorille85 – 7 Points
Kari – 7 Points
Zxlkho – 6 Points
Space Invader – 6 Points
Portucci – 5 Points
DTVT – 3 Points
Jamesman – 1 Point, although he missed the first round (feel free to send me a song for the open round and I’ll just give it a score based on roughly where I’d have put it if you want)

Round 3’s category: Late night songs. This will understandably be pretty subjective, but some examples of my favourite late night songs are this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEeuetOsxKg&feature=related

This: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2mJpQSkae8

And this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4s-OafVVG5U

So basically, just say why it suits late nights for you if it’s not obvious, and even if I don’t agree I won’t necessarily mark the song down anyway.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 02:07:54 PM by Marvellous G »

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
Re: Marvellous G's Song Roulette - Round 2 Results, Bottom Of Page 2!
« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2011, 02:27:06 PM »
I've downloaded Fluffy's pick and put it on my iPod so I can listen to it before I go to sleep. I'm actually really curious. While heartbreaking lyrics can go a long way, when done correctly, nothing beats the raw emotion of just music.

I actually had to pick away some tears the first time I heard the Bon Iver song I sent you. I thought it had to do with the fact that it was during a very emotional House M.D. episode, but after listening to the full album, and then hearing that final track... It never fails to get to me. As you said, the last verse is just... I don't know. It really gets to you.

Scanning through my library for possible "late night songs" now!

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2011, 03:11:41 PM »
 :tup One and the Same would count very highly amongst my favourite songs. And just like the Bon Iver track, it's actually the album closer, and all the more powerful because the entire album is quite dissimilar to it. Furious Angels is very dark, with perhaps no lighter moments until that final track, which, for all the sad tone to it, is very uplifting at the same time. Despite the whole album being very good, it still hits you like a breath of fresh air.

Also, if you want to hear another dimension to the song, check out the version with vocals. I don't like it anywhere near as much, as not only is Rob Dougan not a great singer, but his vocals are waaaaaay too far forward in the mix and largely drown out the music, but it's still an interesting listen.

I have some ideas for a late night track. I'll probably listen to them as I go to sleep tonight and hand one over in the morning. I have a song which I know is ideal, but it's another instrumental, and I think I'll avoid instrumentals for a few rounds now.  :lol

Oh, and what are the second and third youtube links? Germany hates youtube, every second link is blocked.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2011, 03:14:33 PM »
I must listen to Fluffy's pick.  It sounds very interesting.  Now to think of a late night song.........

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2011, 03:41:16 PM »
Yeah, that song is a little cheesy, but I think it was from the 90's so...yeah. :lol Glad you could see it for what it was!

I'll send you a first round pick later. I hope I don't let antigoon down haha

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2011, 03:43:52 PM »
Oh, and what are the second and third youtube links? Germany hates youtube, every second link is blocked.
The third youtube vid is titled "stevie ray vaughan lenny", and I couldn't view the second either. You can always use a web)based proxyserver like www.hidemyass.com , just paste the youtube link in the "hide my ass" bar.

Also, I just sent my pick!