Author Topic: Marvellous G's Song Roulette - Round 8 Resuuuuults!  (Read 41377 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Marvellous G's Song Roulette - Round 5 Results Up
« Reply #175 on: January 20, 2011, 07:13:45 AM »
Sent!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #176 on: January 20, 2011, 07:23:54 AM »
Took a risk with this one...sent!

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #177 on: January 21, 2011, 04:17:55 PM »
sent...definately the most metal choice this round.

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #178 on: January 22, 2011, 05:06:02 AM »
Listening as I do some homework now, some absolutely brilliant picks so far.

Offline Space Invader

• The Canadian Doctor Who Fanatic
  • DTF.org Member
  • Also recently addicted to Survivor
« Reply #179 on: January 22, 2011, 03:02:54 PM »
I await with bated breath for the results.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 03:17:18 PM by Space Invader »
Everything can, should and will be progressive.

"The only thing that is certain is that nothing is certain" - Montaigne.

I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street over maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez - Eleventh Doctor

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #180 on: January 22, 2011, 03:25:57 PM »
Writing them now, but still haven't received Letters' pick so the scoring will have to wait. I will say that there's one pick this round that made me immediately go and listen to the whole album it was on!  :tup

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #181 on: January 22, 2011, 04:08:25 PM »
My bad. I'll send in a song soon.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #182 on: January 22, 2011, 05:01:44 PM »
There might be some mistakes in this as it's very late, so just tell me if I've got something wrong or left you out completely,  :lol

1st Place – 6 Points
Fluffy Lothario
Fat Freddy’s Drop

This is the first instance in this roulette where after being sent a track I immediately went and listened to the whole album it was on. Fluffy’s description of it as ‘soul, jazz, reggae, synth-ey techno/drum and bass’ left me very excited to hear how this could possibly all come together, and my God, did it deliver. This was one of the most original songs I’ve heard in a long time, and the whole album is INCREDIBLE and fuses all of the genres I’ve been particularly interested in lately into one mindblowingly genius whole. This wasn’t even my favourite track on the album! (that honour goes to Shiverman based on my first listen) So yeah, wow, what a band. Edit: ARGH I’ve had the ‘waiting for the storm to come’ bit stuck in my head ALL DAY! But I can’t complain, I love it. :lol

2nd Place – 5 Points
Portucci
Emancipator - Safe In The Steep Cliffs

Bearing in mind the fact that Portucci sent this song, with 2 others, in the 20 frantic minutes before he left for the airport, I wasn’t expecting this to be up to his usual quality of picks. But OH MY GOODNESS, how wrong I was. After one of the most gorgeous intros I’ve ever heard to a song, this track just kept on giving, with some lush guitar work and brilliant strings throughout. I was hesitantly expecting vocals to come in the whole way through, but I’m actually glad they didn’t, as this is basically one of the most beautiful, calming instrumentals I’ve ever heard outside of strictly classical and ambient. Lovely track.

3rd Place – 4 Points
Jamesman
Jesus Culture – Where You Go I Go

This woman has one of the most amazing voices I’ve heard in a long time. Seriously, before the song had even got going I loved it just due to her singing. This song was, in every non-stupid-internet sense of the word, epic, and I didn’t mind whatsoever that it was a worship song, I think everyone should check this out regardless of religious beliefs. It progressed into an amazing climax in the middle, and then calmed down again superbly for an excellent ending. What was really nice here was how perfect the singer’s voice was both in the quiet intro and outro, and in the soaring choruses. What a great song, one that’ll definitely be on repeat on my laptop for a long time to come. Also funny was that Jamesman actually forgot to send me a link this time, but it was fine. :lol

4th Place – 4 Points
Kari
Yeasayer – O.N.E.

This was the kind of thing I was hoping to get in this round, as I knew there was amazing modern, relatively popular music that I hadn’t heard, and would never have done without being shown like this. This band is really innovative, they have a sound that feels really fresh but somehow has a sort of retro-vibe to the instrumental side of things too. I really loved the guy’s voice, and the song was constantly exciting and surprising for all of its length. The last minute or so is so perfect that I’d be fine if the song had a 10 minute coda of just that. :lol Not much more to say here, as literally everything in the song was great.

5th Place – 3 Points
Gorille85
Mew – Introducing Palace Players

Mew are a band I’ve heard loads about, all of it good, but haven’t ever gotten round to checking out. I was expecting some Radiohead-style art rock, but the guitar in this blew me away! This song has some of the most intricate but elegant guitar work I’ve heard in modern music, and the way it develops throughout the song is amazing. The vocals here were also really cool, and I like how they’re only introduced fairly late in the song, which always leaves me wanting more. I’ll be asking for recommendations for Mew after this roulette fo’ sho.’

6th Place -3 Points
Sonatafanica
The Depreciation Guild – Digital Solace

Despite Sonata making me :lol hard with his message telling me to at least only give him one point, I can’t comply, I enjoyed this too much. The guitar work in this was really chilled out and excellent, and then the energetic chiptune fit bizarrely well over it. I really liked the guy’s voice a lot too, and the breakdown where it was just him over the drums at around 2 minutes in was perfect and awesome. So sorry Sonata, but this has to get more than 1 point. :lol

7th Place – 2 Points
Kingshmegland
Our Lady Peace – Monkey Brains

What a fun, fun song. This track is really energetic throughout and just has a great sense of playfulness and rebelliousness that I really enjoyed. The vocals were great, and the guitar work throughout was really speedy and bouncy, and great fun to play. My only complaint is that the section in the middle feels a little bit disjointed from the rest of the song, and it doesn’t flow back into it too well, but that final chorus gets me every time, it’s just such a good singalong track!

8th Place – 2 Points
Zxlkho
Karnivool – New Day

I’d heard comparisons of this band to Tool so I’d always been curious as to how well they actually held up to my joint favourite artist EVER. And this song really, really did. The vocals were great and actually better than Maynard in some moments (blasphemy!) and the structure overall was really cool, the way it crescendoed and decrescencoed several times throughout kept things interesting. Of all the songs I’ve been sent so far, this was the one that really didn’t feel anywhere near as long as it was, it was great, and finally gives me the push I needed to know that I’m a nub for not checking this band out before now.

9th Place – 1 Point
DTVT
Enslaved – Clouds

This was creepy, and heavy… BUT I really liked it! :lol The chords at the beginning set the mood amazingly, and when the harsh vocals came in I actually didn’t mind, they fit the atmosphere really well. The song was heavy and awesome until about 4 minutes in, then THAT break happened and it was like an even better version of the kind of thing Opeth would do, and I was hooked. As DTVT will know, I’m not the biggest fan of harsh vocals, but this song really pulled them off well and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

10th Place – 1 Point
Space Invader
Pathosray – Sons Of The Sunless Sky

This WHOLE song reminded me very strongly of Systematic Chaos era DT, which, for me, is no bad thing, as I really enjoyed that album more than most here. The riffing in the beginning was breakneck and awesomely heavy, I really loved how unrelenting it was in the first minute or so. The song progresses really nicely into some softer sections, and the guitar solo that you feel coming for the whole song doesn’t disappoint, it’s great technically and pretty good emotionally too. I’d actually go as far as to say that this track balances the heavy and the soft better than DT ever did in SC, and it’s just overall a really fun listen every time. EDIT: Hot damn, how did this end up in last place?

Fluffy Lothario – 26 Points
Gorille85 – 23 Points
Jamesman - 22 Points
Portucci – 22 Points
Kari – 20 Points
Space Invader – 17 Points
Kingshmegland – 17 Points
Zxlkho – 16 Points
Sonatafanica – 14 Points
DTVT – 12 Points

I might consider doing a wager thing in the final round to let people in the bottom half have a chance to move up more if you guys want.

Penultimate round: Songs with great solos, on any instrument!

Offline Space Invader

• DTF.org Member
Re: Marvellous G's Song Roulette - Round 6 Results Up!
« Reply #183 on: January 22, 2011, 05:08:26 PM »
Oh man, I got savaged that round.  :sadpanda:

I'll have to think carefully on this one to gain some points before the end....

I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street over maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez - Eleventh Doctor

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • það besta sem guð hefur skapað er nýr dagur
« Reply #184 on: January 22, 2011, 05:10:57 PM »
Whew, great solos... That's going to be hard, not what I focus on in music.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #185 on: January 22, 2011, 05:18:18 PM »
Yes, hail Fat Freddy's!!!

There's barely a single person I've shown that band to who didn't love them. I introduced them to an English friend, and he went to a music festival in Paris a few months later, in large part because they were there. I read a story a month or so ago about a French fan of theirs who flew to New Zealand, (as in, 18,500km) to see them because he won a ticket to a gig.

And yeah, that's probably not my favourite track on that album either, but then for me, it's almost impossible to pick a favourite from that album. I still remember the way my jaw just dropped for seventy-odd minutes the first time I listened to it.

I think I sent The Raft because it's probably the best track in terms of representing the entire spectrum of genres they pull off. Whereas The Nod is more quirkiness/jazz, Wild Wind is spooky dub, Shiverman is mainly techno, Big BW laidback jazz, Boondigga quite poppy etc, The Raft kind of combines them all.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #186 on: January 22, 2011, 05:37:02 PM »
YOU FUCKING DICK

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #187 on: January 22, 2011, 05:42:06 PM »
Holy crap! I am bad with forgetting to "attach" the relevant information in messages...such a bad habit. College professors hate Jamesman. :lol

Yeah dude, her voice is so well-rounded, and compliments the music well. The moment I heard this song, I knew I had found one of those gems in the genre. Glad you enjoyed it!

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: January 22, 2011, 10:46:55 PM »
I'm fairly certain I'm not allowed to get more than 2 points in a round, even if he doesn't say anything bad about my song.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #189 on: January 22, 2011, 10:51:40 PM »
I think you're onto something there. I specifically asked him for one point so I could lose with honor.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #190 on: January 22, 2011, 11:03:58 PM »
Sent in another awesome submission that he will like, only to be given one point.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #191 on: January 22, 2011, 11:28:40 PM »
Hmm. Might take a HUGE risk with the next one...

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #192 on: January 23, 2011, 02:48:31 AM »
At the risk of losing my position in the upper half, SENT. :D

(Actually the other song I had in consideration featured a triangle solo so I didn't go all in in terms of crazyness. :lol )

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #193 on: January 23, 2011, 05:01:02 AM »
I'm fairly certain I'm not allowed to get more than 2 points in a round, even if he doesn't say anything bad about my song.

The thing is I have been liking basically every song I've been sent a lot, so the point system has become sort of arbitrary at this stage as I'm gonna eventually get round to checking out essentially every band I've been sent, including Enslaved for sure after hearing that.

Also, one of the picks I've been sent has put me in the best mood ever this morning, and I think they know who they are.  :lol

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #194 on: January 23, 2011, 05:38:34 AM »
so the point system has become sort of arbitrary at this stage
To me it always was. I'm actually amazed some people care so much about the scores, I mean, the point of this is to expose someone to a lot of different music. To me at least it's never been about sending the best possible as to get as much points as possible.. Just to go as diverse into what fits the categories. That's my interpretation at least. :)

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #195 on: January 23, 2011, 05:44:29 AM »
Yeah and in that respect, I'd say this roulette has given me exactly what I'd hoped for. Every single person has sent me at least five artists or genres each that I'm now determined to check out, and I've got a queue of about 60 albums I need to listen to at this stage.  :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #196 on: January 23, 2011, 05:51:44 AM »
That's why I love this game.  I've heard of bands I've never heard of.  I love it.

Oh, and Sent!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #197 on: January 23, 2011, 05:52:13 AM »
a queue of about 60 albums I need to listen to at this stage.  :lol
I remember the first freeleech at this private music tracker I'm am member of. I must've downloaded at least 15GB of all new music, just clicking randomly on Last.FM related and recommended artists, and then some more. It really was wonderful to be able to open your music player, import some new music and be amazed instead of listening to something you'd already heard a lot of times.

The thing is, I feel like I've pretty much listened to "all there is" regarding music like the music I downloaded then (it was mostly post-rock, shoegaze and indie). And while I've branched out a lot since then, I'm not as excited for new music anymore as I was back then... That's why I signed up for a song roulette, I think that all I need is this initial push. :D

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #198 on: January 23, 2011, 01:02:36 PM »
Sent.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #199 on: January 23, 2011, 10:13:09 PM »
Hmm.

This will be tough to pick.

OK, got a song. Sending now.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #200 on: January 23, 2011, 10:25:11 PM »
What Fat Freddy's Drop song/album is in question? I want to check them out.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #201 on: January 24, 2011, 12:54:21 AM »
The song was The Raft from the album Dr Boondigga and the Big BW.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #202 on: January 24, 2011, 11:56:49 AM »
OK, I'll go with the risk...

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #203 on: January 25, 2011, 12:32:48 PM »
Sorry guys, this one might take a while as I was planning to do them today but my iPod broke and I've spent the last two hours putting stuff back on it.  >:( I'll try and get them up before the weekend, but it's dependent on how much work I get done.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #204 on: January 25, 2011, 03:55:10 PM »
Change your username to Unacceptable G

Offline Space Invader

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #205 on: January 25, 2011, 06:05:05 PM »
Just realized I haven't sent a song in yet. Will get on that soon. Sorry guys.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #206 on: January 25, 2011, 06:28:35 PM »
Hey, Jesus Culture!  Awesome...

Offline Space Invader

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #207 on: January 25, 2011, 09:38:43 PM »
Sent!

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #208 on: January 25, 2011, 11:19:03 PM »
Hey, Jesus Culture!  Awesome...

Yes indeedily doodily

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #209 on: January 28, 2011, 06:44:44 AM »
Hoping the results are up tonight!