Author Topic: Amps and Pickups up the A  (Read 1627 times)

Offline MasterShake23

• Certified Guitarist
Amps and Pickups up the A
« on: June 11, 2009, 01:33:01 PM »
I'm looking to switch a couple of things in my setup, and am looking for some honest opinions and/or feedback.

First, The AMP

I've narrowed it down to the:
Line 6 Bogner Spider HD100
Mesa Dual Rectifier Roadster
Mesa Mark V
ENGL Fireball

Also, I'm still not quite clear on the difference between the rectifier and mark series.

Second, the Bridge pup

I don't know whether to get the DiMarzio Steve's Special or D-sonic. Ive tried the D-sonic and like it, but theres no way for me to try Steve's Special. I don't know if I'm missing out. All internet reviews I've seen are on the border. Hoping you guys can help me out.

Any input and opinions are appreiated  :tup

Cheers!

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
Re: Amps and Pickups up the A
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 01:09:38 AM »
For the amps I'd pick one of the two Boogies. I can't say which you should get since they're so different. They're both fantastic though.
You should check them out yourself at decent volume, and spend a bunch of time trying both amps. Also remember to be very delicate when turning knobs, as the slightest turn can make all the difference. You should also try them with good cabinets, as the stock speakers in Mesa combos aren't very good IMO.

The Mark and Recto series are very different amps. Mark amps are tight, crunchy, smooth, and liquid-y. Recto amps are very loose, open sounding, and very gritty and dark sounding. For the most part.

For a good example of a typical Mark sound, listen to Acid Rain and Another Dimension by Liquid Tension Experiment. Both of those songs have great Mark lead and rhythm sounds. Oh, and everything on Liquid Tension Experiment 2 is Mark IV, and Mark IIC+ (I'm pretty sure).
For a great Recto Tones listen to anything on Train of Thought. The Glass Prison is also another track with great Recto tones on it.

As for the pickup thing, I've tried both, and IMO the Steve's Special is the better sounding of the two. It's a lot clearer and tighter sounding, and (again, IMO) also works better for lower tunings. I think you should try your best to try both out, because you might think totally differently than I do, and prefer the D-Sonic.
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 11:58:12 AM »
Man they need to figure out a different way to try out pickups.

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 12:06:26 AM »
Man they need to figure out a different way to try out pickups.

Or Dimarzio could do what Seymour Duncan did and put clips of the same riff being played on the same guitar and amp with the same settings, only with different pickups. That's what helped me pick my SD pickups.
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline MasterShake23

• Certified Guitarist
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009, 02:36:59 AM »
thanks for the valuable info Fuzz! I'll be sure to try both amps out to see which I like. As far as pickups, I kinda like the idea of the steve's special with the scooped out mids. Should give it a tighter sound.