Author Topic: The Periphery Thread  (Read 200864 times)

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Re: The Periphery Thread
« Reply #945 on: November 06, 2015, 11:33:33 AM »
Harrison Fjord would be a top 20 Periphery track. The rest of the songs are not that memorable.
And Norway Jose would be a top 1 best Periphery song names track.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #946 on: November 06, 2015, 02:04:57 PM »
Vectors is a track that was cut from Juggernaut. I wanted so bad for it to be on there, but was very disappointed to find that they cut it. God damn it's wonderful.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #947 on: November 06, 2015, 03:08:50 PM »
I actually really loved most of that. That's awesome to hear! Had no idea about this at all... Makes me excited for more Periphery even though I still cannot fucking believe Juggernaut released at the beginning of this year. This year has dragged for me like no other. Feels like it's been two.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #948 on: November 06, 2015, 08:53:46 PM »
Vectors is basically an advertisement for their signature pickups. Can catch every note of all those chords

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #949 on: November 26, 2015, 09:24:09 AM »
Me and some friends decided quite spontaniously to go see these guys in Gothenburg last night. Luckily there were still tickets left. Awesome show. I got to hear my two favorite tracks from P2, as well as my favorite from Juggernaut, so I very much approved of the setlist.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #950 on: November 26, 2015, 09:29:28 AM »
Dang, I missed the show in The Netherlands because I already had tickets for another party the same day, sadly my brother didn't want to go alone so he had to miss it too. For some reason I completely missed the announcements that they had planned a tour for Europe and saw it like 2 days before the actual concert.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #951 on: December 02, 2015, 10:02:07 AM »

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #952 on: December 03, 2015, 10:40:29 PM »
I'm not going to start a thread for it because it won't generate anything and probably doesn't deserve one but I fucking love Misha's side project Haunted Shores' Viscera. I listened to a couple tracks when someone mentioned it in this thread not too long ago but I've listened to the entire album at least five times today. I mean it's a pretty short album but even so, for me that's unheard of. I am loving this shit so much, the entire album from start to finish is fantastic and really gets me pumped for the next Periphery project. I know it's a ways a way, but Misha does some gorgeous stuff with this fairly simplistic release (I mean as far as what the norm is now for him and co.); it's pretty incredible. Great stuff.

On topic, that video is pretty great! My penis shrinks every time I hear some twat raging on about 'GRAAAAH IT'S ONE TAKE OMG IT'S ONE TAKE WHOOOAAAA' *twirls around and flings arms* But for a take that is in one of the least controllable environments you can have, a really heavy concert...that's good stuff. I'm probably pretty singular in this but I really like seeing Spencer sing so it was a little sad to not see him for most of the video but the latter-half rectified that pretty well. Awesome video from an even more awesome song.

RIP DTP.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #953 on: January 08, 2016, 07:53:28 PM »
Oh heeeellllllllll yeah besh!!! Did not expect this at all. Fucking wonderful!

Recording soon!

RIP DTP.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #954 on: January 09, 2016, 02:23:19 AM »
Nice! Sooner than I thought. Great news!

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #955 on: January 09, 2016, 03:19:42 AM »
Great news! Hoping for something in the vein of Periphery I, but I really doubt that's gonna happen. If it's of similar quality as Juggernaut I'm still gonna be hella happy.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #956 on: January 11, 2016, 09:12:14 PM »
based on Misha's update today, makes you think they might go WAY outside of their norm with the next one. I'm up for anything with this band. Heavy or not, etc.

Writing and recording starts very soon. I'm very excited and a little nervous. I think it's the healthy form of nervousness as a result of us not quite knowing what this next album will sound like. This is such an inspiring prospect to me. We are on the same page about what we want this album to be, and I can't wait to see what comes of the writing process! Anyways this post is more for me to work out what these butterflies I am feeling are all about, thanks for reading if you have made it this far haha.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #957 on: January 11, 2016, 09:59:44 PM »
Damn, where'd that update come from? Totally missed it.. That's awesome though, I'm up for anything. I think they've come about as close as they can to perfecting their current art. I am however just as excited to see some of the toddler-tantrum-throwing-fan's reactions to what comes. Every time I think that progressive fans are bad...I just have to go to any -core/djent-oriented band's page who has changed even slightly and get the giggles. It's batshit how many douchebags are so addicted to this mindset that it makes them...I dunno, more manly or something to listen to bands who growl and have angry sounding music constantly and never change. I'm guessing the majority of that nervousness comes from that despite him as well as the rest of the band being pretty great about giving shit to so-called fans who act like their precious band changing sound is the omgwurstthingevuur. It's one thing to not like something...completely different to lose your shit (like that one insane guy that burned a hoodie...) Considering the group dynamic and roles I have my doubts they'll do anything as drastic as Opeth but I'm not sure. I'm kind of expecting something more electronic based on Misha's recent kick and perhaps even less growls and more progressive. I'm excited to see what comes.

RIP DTP.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #958 on: January 12, 2016, 02:43:59 AM »
Definetely excited about this. Juggernaut was awesome and I can't wait to see how that style progresses.

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #959 on: January 24, 2016, 07:23:09 PM »
These albums are fucking delights. Absolutely incredible musicianship, and the lyrics are wonderful. Hell Below, lyrics and music as well, is B.R.U.T.A.L. I don't know which album I like better yet. It's all so good. If I wanted to make very preliminary rankings of the songs, I'd say:

1. Omega (Soft guitar break through the end is the highlight of the album.)
2. Rainbow Gravity
3. The Bad Thing
4. The Scourge
5. Stranger Things
6. 22 Faces
7. Alpha
8. Psychosphere
9. Priestess
10. A Black Minute
11. Hell Below
12. Heavy Heart
13. Four Lights
14. Reprise
15. Graveless
16. MK Ultra
17. The Event

Since we're around the 1 year anniversary of the release of Juggernaut, I was thinking about how my rankings have changed, and boy have they.

1. Omega (I stand by calling the clean break through the end the highlight of the album, because it still is. Fucking perfect section)
2. Stranger Things (Final choruses and the static ending is very close to ^ for highlight of the album.)
3. The Scourge
4. Graveless
5. The Bad Thing (My favorite breakdown of all time, bar none.)
6. Four Lights (That fuCKING RIFF)
7. 22 Faces
8. Alpha
9. Rainbow Gravity
10. Psychosphere
11. Hell Below
12. A Black Minute
13. Heavy Heart
14. Priestess
15. MK Ultra
16. Reprise
17. The Event

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #960 on: January 25, 2016, 03:58:56 AM »
Wow. Graveless would be among my least favourite Periphery songs. Hurts to see Psychosphere and A Black Minute so low too.  :'(

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #961 on: January 25, 2016, 08:38:24 AM »
Yeah Graveless would be near the bottom for me too.

I don't think my rankings have changed much since I did my first one. Maybe a few songs moving up or down a spot or two, but nothing big.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #962 on: January 25, 2016, 10:50:52 AM »
I don't really get the dislike for Graveless. It's not fantastic or anything, but it's at least my 4th favorite song on Omega.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #963 on: January 25, 2016, 11:37:00 AM »
i probably listened to juggernaut some 15 times in total and i can't tell you what a single second of graveless sounds like

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #964 on: January 25, 2016, 01:01:04 PM »
i probably listened to juggernaut some 50 times in total and i can't tell you what a single second of graveless sounds like

Yep.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #965 on: January 25, 2016, 01:21:21 PM »
I love me some lack of graves. I didn't love it at first and thought the same but after the first tens of handfuls of listens, it grew immensely on me.

I love the entire album so fucking much. Even the segue tracks like The Event are awesome and are a perfect addition into the glorious and epic The Scourge. It really sounds like an event...something catastrophic coming...and then it comes with The Scourge. Truly a beautifully crafted album. Also ummm eff the decision to cut out the softly sung "Silence is bringing on the heart attack..." verses at the very end of the song when it's played live. That is one of my favorite parts on both the albums. So fucking goosebump inducing. The callbacks and reprises on the album are absolutely perfect. Not to overt, not too many, but just enough to just be like...."yes. YES".

Can't wait to hear what they come up with next, and the fact it'll be supremely different is even more enticing.

RIP DTP.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #966 on: January 25, 2016, 01:25:17 PM »
Also ummm eff the decision to cut out the softly sung "Silence is bringing on the heart attack..." verses at the very end of the song when it's played live.

That may actually be the only thing I say should have been cut from the albums. The two times it's done in Psychosphere is enough for me.

i probably listened to juggernaut some 50 times in total and i can't tell you what a single second of graveless sounds like

Yep.

I've heard it a lot of times and I can remember fairly well what it sounds like, but I still don't like it very much.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #967 on: January 25, 2016, 01:37:30 PM »

Yep.

Let it pour bleed it out.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #968 on: January 25, 2016, 02:08:01 PM »
i recognize that lyric but don't remember how it's sung or what the music is like when it plays

i just keep hearing Priestess in my head instead

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #969 on: January 25, 2016, 02:10:54 PM »
Because it's equally bad?

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #970 on: January 25, 2016, 02:14:46 PM »
Train of Naught - Train of Naught

Simply abysmal. Nothing more needs to be said.

0/10

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #971 on: January 25, 2016, 02:33:01 PM »
Both Priestess and Graveless are my least favourite off Omega. Good thing all the other tracks including Reprise are 10/10 so they make up for it.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #972 on: January 25, 2016, 02:33:11 PM »

:rollin :rollin

That's pretty damn representative of me, I should sig that.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #973 on: January 25, 2016, 03:19:23 PM »
Yeah I'm honestly not too hot on Priestess. I don't dislike it but as far as the whole acoustic schtick goes...I'm kind of over it. I've heard so many amazing acoustic guitarists over the years (mainly coming from Candy Rat's label) and have subsequently kind of become tired of the sound unless it really knocks my socks off. While it's a nice tune, it's just kind of boring and Spencer is just about as equally meh on it, while most of the time I really love his singing, he kind of bores me as well with this restrained kind of singing. There's a soothing quality to it but that's about it. If I was going to skip any track it'd be this one but even then, it's kind of a nice break when you're listening to the album entirely. But if I'm listening to a shuffle of all Periphery or something, I'm very likely to hit 'next'.

RIP DTP.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #974 on: January 26, 2016, 02:34:38 AM »

Yep.

Let it pour bleed it out.

First time I heard the song I thought he said "ready for a bleeding ass".

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #975 on: January 29, 2016, 01:47:53 AM »
Have any of you guys been following the little riff snippets Misha and Nolly have been posting? Some of the riffs are pretty kickass.  :metal

https://www.facebook.com/misha.mansoor/videos/10153916503619533/
especially :neverusethis:

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #976 on: January 29, 2016, 09:15:27 AM »
I have follwed the updates, and it sounds great so far!

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #977 on: January 30, 2016, 10:43:54 PM »
Woah, surprised by all the Graveless hate! That song is SO much fun to me. I love the riffs, fun as hell to drum, and is awesome live. Honestly thought that was a popular opinion O.o

I love every song off either album. The second half of Psychosphere is enough to catapult it into the top 5, but the first half isn't as good. And there's just too many good songs off the albums to justify putting A Black Minute any higher.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #978 on: January 31, 2016, 02:58:43 AM »
I thought so too... I love it.

Also massive love to Passenger. Such an awesomely catchy tune with some great lyrics and a chorus that really sticks.

RIP DTP.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #979 on: February 27, 2016, 01:56:55 PM »
 :lol New Periphery III studio update: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsI0kBfMjfc&feature=youtu.be

Some pretty sick stuff by the sound of it, hype is intensifying. PAPER NOLLY  :metal