Author Topic: The Periphery Thread  (Read 201211 times)

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Periphery Thread
« Reply #910 on: February 24, 2015, 12:47:06 AM »
Priestess has some serious radio potential.

Yeah, I just thought that too!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 01:18:46 AM by YtseJamittaja »
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #911 on: February 24, 2015, 03:50:31 PM »

Definitely a different approach for Periphery. They should incorporate more acoustic guitars.   :tup

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #912 on: February 24, 2015, 09:26:25 PM »
Clear didn't really do it for me. My favorite track on there is The Parade of Ashes, and I don't even consider that to be a real Periphery song.

But how about you guys' favorite/least favorite from their releases? Mine are:

Favorite:
Periphery - Racecar
Icarus EP - Eureka
Periphery II - Ragnarok
Clear - The Parade of Ashes
Juggernaut: Alpha - Psychosphere
Juggernaut: Omega - Stranger Things

Least favorite:
Periphery - Passenger / or if that doesn't count, The Walk
Icarus EP - Icarus Lives! EP Edition (not even counting the remixes)
Periphery II - Scarlet
Clear - Overture
Juggernaut: Alpha - The Event, or Four Lights if The Event is too much of a cop out
Juggernaut: Omega - Reprise, or Graveless for the same reason as above

Favorite:
Periphery-Zyglrox
This Time It's Personal-Make Total Destroy
Clear-either Extraneous or The Parade of Ashes
Juggernaut: Alpha- The Scourge
Juggernaut: Omega- Omega

Least Favorite:
Periphery- Totala Mad (still like it, just don't listen to it as much as the rest of the album)
This Time It's Personal- Epoch
Clear- Zero
Juggernaut: Alpha- The Event
Juggernaut: Omega- Reprise 

Online ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #913 on: February 25, 2015, 06:30:49 AM »

Definitely a different approach for Periphery. They should incorporate more acoustic guitars.   :tup

Yeah because there's a serious lack of acoustic artists...

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #914 on: February 25, 2015, 06:40:52 AM »
^ Can't tell if serious or somehow sarcastic.

Online ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #915 on: February 25, 2015, 06:43:11 AM »
I forget sarcasm doesn't work as well in text. Oops.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #916 on: February 25, 2015, 07:38:07 AM »

That's why we have sarcasm green

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #917 on: February 25, 2015, 07:55:19 AM »

Well in that case I don't quite get your point. Are you saying that there is too much acoustic guitar in Periphery's music? Because there is barely anything. I can think of three songs, and even there it's only for short passages. Or are you saying that you don't like acoustic guitar and that however little of it they have, it's still too much?

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #918 on: February 25, 2015, 08:58:06 AM »

Well in that case I don't quite get your point. Are you saying that there is too much acoustic guitar in Periphery's music? Because there is barely anything. I can think of three songs, and even there it's only for short passages. Or are you saying that you don't like acoustic guitar and that however little of it they have, it's still too much?
I think he was implying that there is no need for Periphery to use acoustic guitars because lots of other bands do so. Not that that's any less ridiculous.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #919 on: February 25, 2015, 09:21:08 AM »

Yeah because there's a serious lack of acoustic artists...

Yeah because there's a serious lack of electric guitars...

Not really sure what you meant by that but I think it's definitely a nice surprise in only the few songs that Periphery has used acoustic guitars. I believe Mark wrote the riff for Priestess and it's very un-Periphery like. I think they succeeded so I'd definitely be interested in what else they can do with the acoustics. 

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #920 on: February 25, 2015, 10:23:04 AM »
Yeah, Mark's Priestess intro is great. The epilogue of Froggin' Bullfish is awesome as well.

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #921 on: February 25, 2015, 08:49:37 PM »
Yeah, Mark's Priestess intro is great. The epilogue of Froggin' Bullfish is awesome as well.
Holy shit that part needs to be it's own 80 min album. I love it to death.

What I've really wanted Periphery to try is a full album of just the spacey ambient effects they used a lot in Jugg or in the outros of a lot of songs on PII. They do it so well and an instrumental album of that would be great.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #922 on: February 26, 2015, 03:01:39 AM »
Jake is the one who does most of that, and he's working on a solo album consisting only of that electronic ambient stuff. So if you like that in Periphery you should definetely check his stuff out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTVd8g_DBjg

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #923 on: February 26, 2015, 10:31:40 AM »

What I've really wanted Periphery to try is a full album of just the spacey ambient effects they used a lot in Jugg or in the outros of a lot of songs on PII. They do it so well and an instrumental album of that would be great.
I love the ambient stuff but I feel like it wouldn't translate as well as an entire album. Part of what makes that stuff awesome (imo) is how it contrasts the heaviness.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #924 on: February 26, 2015, 01:59:21 PM »
I agree, but his stuff so far is perfect for having on while doing something else, rather than really listening all the time.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #925 on: March 09, 2015, 07:57:19 PM »
Psychosphere
Omega
Rainbow Gravity
Priestess
Alpha
Heavy Heart
Stranger Things
The Scourge
A Black Minute
Graveless
Hell Below
The Bad Thing
Four Lights
The Event
22 Faces
MK Ultra

Something like that I guess, I dunno. A lot of them are close, this still hasn't really sunk in that well for me but I do like it and keep wanting to listen to it so

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #926 on: March 09, 2015, 09:04:23 PM »
The Bad Thing
The Scourge
Omega
Heavy Heart
A Black Minute
Alpha
22 Faces
Rainbow Gravity
Hell Below
Graveless
Stranger Things
Psychosphere
Priestess
Four Lights
MK Ultra
The Event
Reprise

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #927 on: March 13, 2015, 02:19:52 PM »
These albums (especially Alpha) have hit me hard. Really hard. Last time it was Impermanent Resonance in 2012. Can't stop listening.

And I'm not even a huge fan of screaming vocals but still this is something spectacular. The album of the year or at least a really tough competitor.

:2metal:

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #928 on: June 04, 2015, 09:33:04 AM »
Jake Bowen just put out his solo ambient-electronic album. It's on spotify, don't know where else. Bandcamp maybe.

Listening right now, relaxing and cool stuff.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #929 on: July 20, 2015, 02:21:59 PM »
So, I got into this band right before I headed out for my trip and they very quickly became one of my favorite bands. I absolutely love the sound they have and it's really refreshing to hear a vocalist that almost sounds pop driven but still has a lot of range for screams and growls. At times he almost reminds me of Chester Bennington (sp?) from Linkin Park, but I think he does it much better than Chester himself.  :lol

Anyway, massive love for this band and Juggernaut is incredible. It's cool to hear their evolution from their first album to now, especially in regards to Spencer.

I think my favorite songs overall are Insomnia, Letter Experiment, Scarlet, Masamune, Ragnarok, Mile Zero (so much emotion), Luck As A Constant, The Scourge, Rainbow Gravity (I still can't get over how ridiculously awesome that name is), Graveless, Omega and Stranger Things. Lots of favorites.  :biggrin:

Also much love to this place for (about the millionth time) introducing me to yet another one of my most adored bands. I still need to check out all their stuff that was released and demoed before their first full album.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #930 on: July 20, 2015, 02:44:39 PM »
Good to hear you like it, Periphery needs some more love.

All Misha's early demos are cool and all, but they're really just bits and pieces and riff ideas and stuff. Still fun stuff though, if you're interested enough. I especially recommend the short demo 'Late', that one's really groovy. Probably my favorite even though it's so short.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #931 on: July 20, 2015, 02:49:49 PM »
Hrrm. Interesting, thanks! I kinda figured they'd be just that, but yeah at this point I'm super addicted to the band so I'm ravenous for anything I can listen to.  :laugh:

RIP DTP.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #932 on: July 20, 2015, 02:53:26 PM »
It might take a few days to get through it all as well, I have them all on my computer, and there's hours upon hours upon hours of it  :lol

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #933 on: July 20, 2015, 08:03:27 PM »
does everyone that originally thought Omega was far superior to Alpha still feel that way?
my theory is that most fans spun Alpha first, were initially underwhelmed, which lowered their lofty expectations for the project, thus leaving them less underwhelmed upon their first spin(s) of Omega.

personally I think they're about even. But if I was forced at gunpoint to pick one, I'd probably lean towards Alpha.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #934 on: July 20, 2015, 08:21:17 PM »
does everyone that originally thought Omega was far superior to Alpha still feel that way?

Definitely. Omega is great from start to finish, whereas Alpha has a few great songs and a lot of meh/average ones.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #935 on: July 20, 2015, 10:09:16 PM »
Omega has the title track and Stranger Things, which are Periphery's best songs imo. So I definitely like Omega better.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #936 on: July 20, 2015, 10:29:52 PM »
Man, I don't feel that way at all, Pain. I absolutely love Alpha, much more so than Omega, actually. Omega has literally the only Periphery song that I'm not all that into, Priestess. Whereas Alpha has two of my favorite moments from the band... The ending of The Scourge where the chorus to Psycosphere is sung in an awesomely different way with the calm, foreboding keyboard/piano in the background (I really wish Psychosphere had it as well towards the end) and then the entirety of Psychosphere. When I first heard it I was just thinking that it was absolutely perfect and really made me get a big musical boner. I totally forgot to mention that one in my favorites, definitely up there.

Omega is awesome but the fact I really don't ever listen to Priestess brings it down a notch for me. Truthfully though I consider it all one album anyway. Although just Graveless and Stranger Things is amazing enough. I'm not as into the title track of Omega as much as everyone else, but I do however LOVE the piano intro and then the reprise from the title track from Alpha but sung and played much heavier; I pretty much lost it when I heard that. Both brilliant and beautiful.

Ah, who am I kidding? It's all epic and awesome. Also, random but I have heard so many of my friends say this:

I'm not even a huge fan of screaming vocals but still this is something spectacular.

It's interesting and really cool. Most of my friends aren't into scream/growl vocals but most of them really dug what they heard.

RIP DTP.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #937 on: July 21, 2015, 02:29:20 AM »
I probably like Omega better. Stranger Things, Omega, and The Bad Thing are all among their best. I actually really enjoy Priestess as well, though I'm not too fond of Graveless.

But there are some really good ones on Alpha too. A Black Minute and Psychosphere are probably my favorites from that.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #938 on: July 21, 2015, 07:30:47 AM »
I have only ever listened to the albums together as one album, so I honestly couldn't pick a favorite disc. It's all great.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #939 on: July 26, 2015, 08:54:12 PM »
fuck. While i still stick by my THC-induced theory, i think I change my mind...My three least favourite Juggernaut tracks are all on Omega, but Stranger Things just might be my favourite Periphery song, so it would be super hard to pick Alpha over Omega if I could only listen to one or the other for the rest of my years.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #940 on: August 14, 2015, 03:12:13 AM »
Hey guys,

For those of you who don't visit the survivor part of the forum, I am currently hosting a Periphery survivor and we are just about to get into the top four of the first self-titled album.
I would really appreciate if someone new participated as we currently have a 4-way tie that is going to be hard to resolve without someone outside of DTF at this point and I would prefer if the survivor remained purely in the forum.

Current round link: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44353.0
General survivor discussion link: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44302.0

Thanks to everyone who helps out or chooses to participate long-term.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #941 on: November 06, 2015, 10:19:31 AM »
https://hauntedshores.bandcamp.com/

Anyone pick this up? (I did).  It's not bad.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #942 on: November 06, 2015, 10:22:18 AM »
I've heard it once, not bad, but nothing special IMO.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #943 on: November 06, 2015, 10:24:54 AM »
I've heard it once, not bad, but nothing special IMO.
Yeah.. worth 5 bucks tho.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #944 on: November 06, 2015, 11:21:09 AM »
Harrison Fjord would be a top 20 Periphery track. The rest of the songs are not that memorable.