General > General Music Discussion

The Periphery Thread

<< < (227/277) > >>

TioJorge:
So a handful of listens later and this is one gorgeous, blood curdling album. I am really in love with the small bits of Misha's orchestral pieces sprinkled in between the usual crushing beats and Spencer's vulgarities. There's a lot of great balance on the album despite the initial "fuck you" of having TPIW and Motormouth (which I love) one after the other. All in all this has got a special place in the trio of main albums. I love that there's a special atmosphere to each album and this one is no different. It's funny because while there's a clear cut and obvious vibe from all of them, PI, II and III all have a completely different feel to them, very much so. The small bits of Bowen's techno beats and Misha's orchestral swoons really make a difference. Not that Bowen's influence is anything new but for some reason it feels more up front than before despite it...not actually being so (at least in reference to PII). I'm not sure how to explain that one... But I like it.

Still soaking it all in but now that I've had some actual time with the full album, it's safe to say that for me this is another reason Periphery is one of my favorite bands.

BlackInk:
After listening to this album a few times I can say I that I like it more than I thought I would. None of the early singles really impressed me, but once I could take in the entire album it was a lot better. It's not perfect though, and probably has the most "flaws" of any Periphery album yet, but it's overall good.

While some of the orchestra bits are nice, I don't really think it meshes well with the rest of the music at times. It just feels like Misha is too obsessed with game music that he just had to put it on the album whether it fits the song or not. Sometimes it works though, and when it does it's great.

Also, saw that they're releasing a making-of documentary of the album soon, which is always fun to see. So I'm excited for that.

adace:
Overall this is a really solid album. A few songs don't really do anything for me (e.g. Motormouth and The Price is Wrong) but others (e.g. Lune and Absolomb) are just magnificent.

jakepriest:
What I'm really missing from Periphery music these days is the groove. As good as Mark is, his style often feels like "how many notes and slides can I cram into a riff?".

Metro:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi3WUouE3uo

The making of the new album

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version