Author Topic: The Periphery Thread  (Read 200847 times)

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Periphery Thread
« Reply #1050 on: May 26, 2016, 08:44:35 AM »

That page would be nice if the admin wasn't a total twat.

I've never seen the admin do anything twat-like at all. They are always doing giveaways and contests and stuff.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1051 on: May 26, 2016, 08:54:01 AM »
You missed the huge ban wave when people started complaining about all the "three dots somewhere = Periphery was here" spam. His logic was: you hate on people posting three dots that have nothing to do with the band at all  = you hate Periphery.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1052 on: May 26, 2016, 11:08:40 AM »
Speaking of dots...does anyone know what their band logo symbolizes? I don't recall ever seeing that symbol anywhere and am not sure where they got it from or what it means, if anything at all.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1053 on: May 26, 2016, 11:42:16 AM »
Speaking of dots...does anyone know what their band logo symbolizes? I don't recall ever seeing that symbol anywhere and am not sure where they got it from or what it means, if anything at all.

I'm pretty sure it's there just because it looks cool.  :lol

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1054 on: May 26, 2016, 02:14:20 PM »
Yeah, I think so too.  :laugh:  :metal

I looked and failed for anything that was remotely symbolic related to the logo or any info on it. Pretty much fits Misha and co. to have it because "sweet logo, bro" anyway.

RIP DTP.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1055 on: May 26, 2016, 04:47:06 PM »
Eh, I didn't really dig that new song at all.  :-\
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1056 on: May 26, 2016, 05:48:22 PM »
Eh, I didn't really dig that new song at all.  :-\

I'm really not too impressed either. It kinda seems heavy for the sake of heavy to me, and they've done it way better before (Hell Below, MK Ultra, Zyglrox  :metal).
Man I really wish some P1 style in the vein of Zyglrox and Letter Experiment shows on the album.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #1057 on: May 27, 2016, 11:11:31 AM »
Probably one of their weakest songs overall, the "chorus" is just so nonsensical. Still have faith for the album, though, the track list looks nice.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1058 on: May 27, 2016, 04:28:51 PM »
Probably one of their weakest songs overall, the "chorus" is just so nonsensical. Still have faith for the album, though, the track list looks nice.

Where has the tracklist been posted?
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1059 on: May 27, 2016, 11:21:43 PM »
There's a couple posted on the previous page. I found it on Apple Music but there's another with time stamps.

RIP DTP.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1060 on: May 28, 2016, 12:42:52 AM »
YThe tracks and the track lengths can be seen on Spotify. They're also on the previous page of this thread.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Operation: Slothcrime
« Reply #1061 on: June 02, 2016, 01:44:07 PM »
Misha and Mrak did a livestream on Facebook checking out the test pressings for the vinyl version of the new album. They played a few snippets of some of the other songs on the album.

https://www.facebook.com/PeripheryBand/videos/10154293643773217/

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #1062 on: June 02, 2016, 01:57:17 PM »
Misha and Mrak did a livestream on Facebook checking out the test pressings for the vinyl version of the new album. They played a few snippets of some of the other songs on the album.

https://www.facebook.com/PeripheryBand/videos/10154293643773217/

Ok, I've done good to NOT get hyped about this release after a bit of a disappointment from Alpha/Omega but these snippets sound fab!

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1063 on: June 02, 2016, 01:59:57 PM »
Yess this is more like it, Halpern is amazing on pretty much all the snippets apart from the ones that didn't feature him, that violin snippet has me very intrigued. And Remain Indoors sounds trippy as fuck :lol love it
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1064 on: June 18, 2016, 08:43:12 PM »
Well... the new leaked "Flatline" single...

Much better than The Price is Wrong. A great mix of harsh and clean vocals in this one. Restored my hype for the album.  :metal

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1065 on: June 19, 2016, 01:22:05 AM »
I agree, much better.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1066 on: June 19, 2016, 01:38:42 AM »
I'm loving The Price Is Wrong actually, but I seem to generally be gravitating towards singles a lot lately, Silvera is my second favorite song from the new Gojira album and Prayers/Triangles is my second favorite from Deftones' Gore just to name a few.

But yeah I've heard Flatline just now and this is better, I like the slow tempo here. Chugging dj0nt riffs and the awesome clean/harsh blend I've come to love by Sotelo.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1067 on: June 19, 2016, 06:44:47 AM »
I've actually grown to feel okay about The Price is Wrong, I don't like it more than anything on PI or Juggernaut but more than a few songs on PII and all of Clear.

The ending of Flatline is signature Periphery imo, clean/ambient break into a harmonious outro with soaring clean vocals. More of this please.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1068 on: June 19, 2016, 12:50:37 PM »
Ohhh I loved that sooo much! Yes, the melodic mixed with the metal is fantastic. Really incredible song, that gave me a lot of the goose bumps and feels. In contrast, I think once the whole album is out, I'll appreciate the fully metal TPIW more. There's just a lot more diversity to Flatline and similarly feels like it has a lot more hooks even though I do love the chorus to TPIW.

Also love that little nod to Juggernaut with the line in Flatline, "Send an angel to pull me from the hell below..."  :metal  :coolio God I love this band.

RIP DTP.

Offline adace

« Reply #1069 on: July 08, 2016, 01:24:08 AM »
Marigold is out. What an awesome track!

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1070 on: July 08, 2016, 03:39:09 AM »
So far this album sounds really similar to PII and that's okay I guess. This track is definitely my favourite so far, but even Flatline and The Price is Wrong are growing on me a lot.
Might be my album of the year, though I'm not sure if Haken can be dethroned just yet.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1071 on: July 08, 2016, 05:04:32 AM »
Damn! Got me hooked right from the intro, fantastic song from these guys yet again.

If the entire album is as good as The Price Is Wrong, Flatline and Marigold I'll have a hard time putting any 2016 release above this one in my rankings to be honest. Strong contender.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1072 on: July 08, 2016, 05:56:59 AM »
Been looking forward to this song since Misha posted this snippet a few months back.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BEFXntpDP-Q/?taken-by=mishaperiphery

The final product is just as amazing as I hoped it would be  :metal
I feel a bit of Devin Townsend influence in the big anthemic chorus.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1073 on: July 08, 2016, 11:11:50 AM »
 :metal :metal :metal :heart :heart :heart :heart :yarr

Also, I never saw it released when they had it up for streaming, I'm not sure if it was released before this or if it's old news, but Haunted Shores' Viscera album has a track called "Feed The Wolf/Norway Jose" that's got Townsend on vocals and it's pretty damn rad. I only saw it once I saw that the album was finally up on iTunes. It's pretty much just Norway Jose with vocals but it's awesome for what it is.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 11:22:32 AM by TioJorge »

RIP DTP.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1074 on: July 08, 2016, 01:04:14 PM »
:metal :metal :metal :heart :heart :heart :heart :yarr

Also, I never saw it released when they had it up for streaming, I'm not sure if it was released before this or if it's old news, but Haunted Shores' Viscera album has a track called "Feed The Wolf/Norway Jose" that's got Townsend on vocals and it's pretty damn rad. I only saw it once I saw that the album was finally up on iTunes. It's pretty much just Norway Jose with vocals but it's awesome for what it is.

Sadly I didn't like Norway Jose by itself and the vocals weren't that interesting imo. I wish Devin had chosen to put vocals over Harrison Fjord instead.  :metal

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1075 on: July 08, 2016, 05:03:29 PM »
Really loving what I'm hearing so far from the new album. Just getting into their whole discography to prep for August's show, and holy fuck have I been missing out.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1076 on: July 08, 2016, 05:06:10 PM »
Really loving what I'm hearing so far from the new album. Just getting into their whole discography to prep for August's show, and holy fuck have I been missing out.

One more participant for the survivor that I'll be running later this year? :neverusethis:

Offline adace

« Reply #1077 on: July 08, 2016, 06:22:28 PM »
Official video for Marigold: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmtU2WJfPgU

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1078 on: July 08, 2016, 09:38:35 PM »
I love all the people posting how "bad" and/or "weird/messy/random" the video is.

It's like...you've never seen a Periphery video before (which if that's honestly true then okay). THAT'S THE POINT.

Periphery music video is great Periphery music video.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 09:44:38 AM by TioJorge »

RIP DTP.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1079 on: July 09, 2016, 06:30:03 AM »
It's an okay video though, nothing more. I appreciate the quirkiness, but I just found it boring. I'd rather have a lyric video for Marigold to be honest.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1080 on: July 09, 2016, 08:02:16 AM »
While I think Periphery's quirkyness is funny, I'd like a "real" or serious music video from them at some point. Just for variety.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1081 on: July 09, 2016, 08:04:58 AM »
While I think Periphery's quirkyness is funny, I'd like a "real" or serious music video from them at some point. Just for variety.

Ever seen the video for Psychosphere?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HKNA8nvwOg

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #1082 on: July 09, 2016, 08:20:29 AM »
Its funny you guys are talking about videos. The first Periphery I heard was Erised, here, cuz of Petrucci's guest solo. I thought, "This is kinda cool. I wonder what their other stuff sounds like?" So I found the video for their current single... Make Total Destroy. I couldn't fucking believe what I was hearing. Oh yeah, the video was kinda cool too.  :biggrin:

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1083 on: July 09, 2016, 06:00:18 PM »

Ever seen the video for Psychosphere?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HKNA8nvwOg

I never really did like live music videos.

I still think the best music video they have is the one for Icarus Lives, as much as I don't particularly like that song. Scarlets video is funny but not really good, Make Total Destroy is pretty cringy at times, I didn't really get the one for Alpha. The Icarus Lives video is just cool, with the water on glass thing going on.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1084 on: July 13, 2016, 11:57:42 AM »
I'm not loving any of the three new songs, and unforntunately it's all because of Spencer. I've been a defender of him since I first got to know the band and he was awesome on Juggernaut, but here he does a concerning amount of annoying things on just these three singles. The songs all have good moments, but overall I'm not really feeling it.