Author Topic: Oceansize (RIP 2011) v. VENNART 2011-Present "Forgiveness & The Grain" (2/2/24)  (Read 123375 times)

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
Re: Oceansize
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2010, 01:02:11 PM »
Damn they have changed the Rocket title  :angry:

That above track listing is mostly right though, aside from spelling errors.

Part Cardiac (4:10)
SuperImposer (4:15)
Build Us A Rocket Then... (3:59)
Oscar Acceptance Speech (8:54)
Ransoms (4:07)
A Penny's Weight (3:38)
Silent/Transparent (8:29)
It's My Tail And I'll Chase It If I Want To (3:36)
Pine (4:55)
SuperImposter (5:16)

There will be 1 bonus track on a yet to be determined exclusive CD.
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2010, 05:57:49 PM »
the band or even just Superball music need to announce something more official.

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2010, 08:37:01 AM »
That is from Superball
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline robwebster

« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2010, 01:55:41 PM »
Just downloaded the free track off their website. Came with a lovely handwritten note that I won't spoil.

Led me to google the name of the Rocket Building Cunt track (typed "Rocket building cunt" into google, take THAT google analytics), but I found it on a setlist alongside a song called Massive Bereavement. Which I recognised as a reference to a joke off The Day Today.

Between the note, Rocket Building Cunt and Massive Bereavement I've decided that I probably need to give Oceansize another chance. I have one of their albums, but the only song I liked on it was Heaven Alive. Gonna have a listen to Superimposer, now.

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2010, 02:22:02 PM »
If you don't like Oceansize then you hate music, just so you know. They totally own Dream Theater and Porcupine Tree.
And Heaven Alive is like their worst song.
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline robwebster

« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2010, 02:35:17 PM »
Honestly, I've given SuperImposer a listen and I'm still not too sold. I don't like the vocals, and there's nothing that really sticks out musically. They're lots of good riffs, but nothing great.

Maybe Heaven Alive is the form of Oceansize that'd be up my street. I dunno. It's the only time I've listened to them and gone "oh that's a fantastic melody." The rest isn't really THAT melodic. It's just sort of rhythmic. And they're good rhythms! But the music doesn't enchant me, which is a bit disappointing after so many good reviews. I'll give 'em a few more chances, but I'm not holding my breath, tbh.

Still, I like their attitude to music and their, er, relationship with their fans? I think it's quite healthy. They've got a lot of personality, which I really dig.

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2010, 03:18:51 PM »
I know what's wrong...they're too awesome, you just can't take it yet, one day you will!  :lol
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2010, 09:44:59 PM »
it's not bad, but doesn't really seem like an album-closer of their ilk. Maybe after hearing the whole album it will.

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2010, 01:34:51 AM »
That's because it's not an album-closer. SuperImposer is track 2, SuperImposter is the closing track.

Offline limnides

• DTF.org Member
  • Dum vita est, spes est.
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2010, 12:35:43 PM »
I have my ticket. :caffeine:

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2010, 09:25:23 PM »
1 early review of the new album

https://thenewreview.net/reviews/oceansize-self-preserved-while-the-bodies-float-up <- samples included there

The plentiful, yet unhealthy musical landscape currently inherited can be explained simply by consumer demand. Popular culture resembles a Big Mac – cheap, quick to fill, but also lacking a key component to long-term pleasure – substance. For every well-intentioned, honest standout artist, five individuals with a resemblance to Ke$ha will follow. With that being said, over Oceansize’s ten-plus year career, these five Brits have served as a symbolic 16 oz. steak, packing their obtuse compositions with plenty of substance, leaving many a listener over the years feeling more than satisfied after a spin of a record or two.

When commenting on the album, guitarist Gambler stated, “Most of the songs are shorter, more concise. We didn’t set out to write shorter songs, it just happened; we didn’t feel the need to drag them out and elaborate on them any further than necessary. I think we’ve been tarred with the ‘oh-they-write-long-proggy-songs’ brush so I think a few people will be quite surprised”. By reading between the lines did this mean that Oceansize were destined to sell out and subject their work to mass consumption by purging themselves of substance? Luckily, while utilizing more succinct songwriting, Oceansize’s latest release, Self Preserved While the Bodies Float Up, finds the group maintaining their hearty artisanship and at the same time trimming the excess fat, making their fourth full length release arguably their finest record yet.

The quintet begins their latest endeavor with the uncharacteristically abrasive “Part Cardiac.” Opening with ominous feedback, the initially sparse soundscape erupts with chunky guitars and the operatic vocals of front man and guitarist Mike Vennart. The aforementioned commented earlier in the album’s conception that “…there’s one tune that we’re just practicing at the moment that is just the f**ckin’ loudest, most obnoxious, sludgy, horrible, heaviest thing we’ve ever done.” If this reviewer was a betting man, “Part Cardiac” would fit this description wonderfully. In the least, the opener introduces the listener to a sleeker, more muscular version of the band.

Following closely behind “Part Cardiac” is first release, “SuperImposer.” Here, Mark Heron on skins embraces the spotlight as he pulverizes everything within arm’s reach, creating a steady, upbeat backbone on which the four other members stick to. While not nearly as memorable, third track “Build Us a Rocket Then…” maintains Oceansize’s shockingly blistering pace as Self Preserved While the Bodies Float Up reaches its middle portion.

Older fans, take a deep breath as the more timid and restrained Oceansize of yesteryear are still very present on their latest full length as the middle portion of the release demonstrates the group downshifting into slower material all the while stirring up a captivating atmosphere. “Oscar Acceptance Speech” is an extended eight-minute daze of a song as Vennart croons over subdued piano and the steady beats of Heron. About halfway through the piece is when the music decrescendos into a minimal, still utterly stunning orchestral movement that will leave one breathless. “A Penny’s Weight” continues the album’s more tranquil mid-section with a composition built on the strength of vocalists and guitarists Vennart and Steve Durose. Both men shine with their voices as the melodies presented create the airy backdrop on which the rest of the song floats. Closing the middle portion is another eight-minute adventure entitled “Silent/Transparent.” Opening quietly, the seventh piece on the album unwinds like a traditional post-rock composition – crawling at first, locating its feet, and finally sprinting to the finish line in grand fashion.

Rounding out the album, “It’s My Tail And I’ll Chase It If I Want To” resurrects the initial energy found on the beginning of the record with bombastic blasts of guitar, inadvertently giving the piece an almost euphoric sensation that rejuvenates the listener. Finally, “Pine” serves as the final highlight to an album chock full of sensational songwriting. Better have those Kleenex ready as “Pine” comes across as the most vulnerable and moving track on the album, featuring a passionate singing performance by Vennart, accompanied by a touching string section bound to make one’s icy heart melt. Without a doubt, “Pine” is one of the most remarkable compositions Oceansize have put to tape.

Self Preserved While the Bodies Float Up finds Oceansize scaling back the grandiose in favor of more streamlined, accessible material and the music presented is all the better because of these alterations. While a couple tracks suffer from less memorable songwriting, most notably “Ransoms” and “SuperImposter,” emotions are more exposed, variation is better explored, and the songwriting is increasingly dynamic on the group’s fourth and latest release. With a more digestible product, Oceansize is bound to receive the attention and acclaim they desperately deserve as the material these Brits have prepared is boundless in ambition and timeless in appeal.

That's because it's not an album-closer. SuperImposer is track 2, SuperImposter is the closing track.

you/they got me. Well that certainly a positive.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 12:18:24 AM by SoundscapeMN »

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2010, 02:49:51 AM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00tb026

another new song can be heard there, about 22 minutes in. "Silent/Transparent"

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2010, 07:30:16 AM »
I'm still resisting
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2010, 05:23:27 PM »
Bumping this because this band is so goddamn good.

I've been listening to Effloresce nonstop lately, and I recently got Frames as well. Such a wonderful mix of alt. rock, post-rock and progressive music. I find something new and great in each song with every listen.

Offline limnides

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2010, 05:34:49 AM »
Ah, here it is.  Thank you for bumping! :D
I was looking all over for this thread.  Hahah.

SPWTBFU...

...and OCEANSIZE's fourth album, “Self Preserved While The Bodies Float Up”. If you're expecting classic 'Size then you'll be disappointed, this is a new refined OCEANSIZE, a more concise OCEANSIZE, a more mature OCEANSIZE.

Read more: https://www.myspace.com/oceansizeuk#ixzz0z1zbV4Yi

They're right, it isn't "classic" Oceansize.  and it's interesting watching the reactions.  People who're just learning about the band now and testing them with this album seem to prefer it over their older releases... whereas people I know who've been following them for a lot longer are having a tougher time digesting it.  That isn't to say it's like that across the board - it's only what I've seen so far.

I like it... don't get me wrong.  There are a few tracks that I'm finding myself skipping, though.  Which is saddening.

Still looking forward to next Saturday.  It'll be my first Oceansize gig.  :caffeine:

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2010, 12:13:26 PM »
SPWTBFU is a great record. I don't think it's as good as Frames or Effloresce but I still think it's an awesome creation and will only get better with time (as with all 'Size albums).

They're certainly very pleased with it (well I know at least Mike and Steven are).
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline limnides

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2010, 12:49:11 PM »
I fell in love with Part Cardiac, Oscar Acceptance Speech, Ransoms, and Pine the first time through.
It's really just A Penny's Weight that I'm not too keen on now.

Yeah, hah.  They're really chuffed and that makes me happy.

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2010, 01:49:34 PM »
Yeah, I spoke to Steven briefly a couple of months ago and he definitely gave the impression that we were really pleased to be doing something a little different and that they'd all really enjoyed the experience and that can only be a good thing, especially w/ regard to live shows as I know they were a little tired of certain songs (*cough*cough* Catalyst *cough*cough*)

APW is also the one I'm less sure on right now and Part Cardiac still sounded better when I first saw it live I think. It's probably not a complete classic but still a brilliant record.
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2010, 06:00:37 PM »
Buying the new album the day it's in stores here. Oceansize is quickly becoming one of my favorite bands, I think.

Offline limnides

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2010, 06:09:10 PM »
This is their first direct release to the US, isn't it?  I know Frames is available, but I think it was a special edition DVD pack, or somesuch.  That's fantastic, 'cause they're fantastic.  :laugh:

I hope that means they'll start touring in the US, too.

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2010, 10:46:26 AM »

I hope that means they'll start touring in the US, too.

I wouldn't bet on it, possible but unlikely I reckon
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2010, 10:55:32 AM »
How is the new album?
Been meaning to check it out, only album i've heard before is Frames, which didn't really impress me.
I like the opening-track on it, but after that it's fairly bland IMO.
Also heard a few tracks from Effloresce which i liked better, but nothing too memorable.

No offense to anyone liking the band or so, but my opinion about them this far is that they're a decent progressive-band, but i would put them under the B-category.
Maybe things will change if i listen to their albums even more, so thats a bit why i wonder. :P
I've already given up on Frames after about 15 plays, and only 1 memorable song.

Offline limnides

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2010, 12:26:08 PM »
After a few spins I've come to really enjoy most of the album.  It's really not like Frames at all.  If you've heard any from their Home & Minor EP - it's a bit more like that.

bodiesinflight is the resident Oceansize guru, so he would be able to give you better advice than I could.  but if you're finding yourself relating more to Effloresce than Frames, I would suggest you check out Everyone Into Position.  They're the kind of band you do need to give more than one listen to, and since most of their (older) tracks top an average of 6 - 8 minutes in length I could see how that would be asking a lot; especially if you're not all that taken by them to begin with.

and none taken.
I think they're one of the best bands I've heard in recent years, but hey.  To each their own an' all.  :P

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2010, 12:44:54 PM »
How is the new album?
Been meaning to check it out, only album i've heard before is Frames, which didn't really impress me.
I like the opening-track on it, but after that it's fairly bland IMO.
Also heard a few tracks from Effloresce which i liked better, but nothing too memorable.

No offense to anyone liking the band or so, but my opinion about them this far is that they're a decent progressive-band, but i would put them under the B-category.
Maybe things will change if i listen to their albums even more, so thats a bit why i wonder. :P
I've already given up on Frames after about 15 plays, and only 1 memorable song.

1. They're not a prog band
2. Frames is one of the best albums ever released
3. They're like PT but without the bland bits  :P

Hope that helped
And yes, you are right that their albums get better and better with listening
The album EIP features more 'memorable' songs I suppose, as in they are more catchy, but I still find all their songs pretty memorable from the start tbh so can't help too much there!
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2010, 12:55:43 PM »
I see.
But what i've heard could only be categorized as Progressive though, maybe rock more then metal, but its the only fitting category i could come up with. :P
PT has bland-bits? lies.  :biggrin:
But they're my favorite-band, so hard to say anything negative. ;)

I can definitely see Oceansize growing with time, but i wasn't that impressed with Frames, and i did listen to it like 10-15 times really trying, but only Commemorative/T-Shirt got stuck on my head.
I could always give them a chance again, but then i should probably try another album. :P

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2010, 01:15:01 PM »
They don't need a genre, they don't fit into a category. If anything I'd call them an art rock band, as Radiohead.

Oceansize are pretty much my perfect band so it's hard for me to say anything negative about them!  :lol

I'd definitely rec Everyone Into Position (sorry, EIP is an abbreviation!) for more instantly memorable songs  ;)
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #61 on: September 13, 2010, 12:37:26 PM »
So the new album is pretty good, hard to make up exactly HOW good considering i've only heard it 1 time in it's entirety this far.
Superimposer made the biggest impression on me, the last 1 ½ minute of that song was just wonderful. :)
Part Cardiac was a pretty cool opener as well, some nice guitars.
Then there were some great bits here and there, but i was doing other stuff while listening to the album, and i can see & understand that it probably needs my whole attention and more spins.

A question to you Oceansize-fans here.. i somehow felt that there was a change in the vocals on this album, more vocal-effects and they sounded very phased-into the music.
Or is it just me? :P
Not a complaint at all though, i really like vocal-effects and such, but the singing on this album didn't sound like the more 'clean'-singing on Frames.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #62 on: September 13, 2010, 04:54:27 PM »
I'm seeing them live supporting Porcupine Tree this month in Germany, making the travel from the west side of The Netherlands. Longest trip I've ever made for a concert, but it's nothing compared to the trips you American guys sometimes have to make for bands like this isn't it?

Anyway, Oceansize are obviously pretty good and unique, judging from their sound. Nonetheless they're a band where I just check out the first few tracks of an album. It usually starts out awesome but gets a bit boring as the album continues. I liked the first few tracks of Everyone into Position and Frames, so I guess I'll start by giving these albums some solid listens.

"Music for a Nurse' sounds beautiful though, listening to it right now on Spotify.

Edit: Wow, 'Part Cardiac' sounds way heavier than anything I've heard from them, did they have this kind of heavy stuff in the past, or is this the new direction they're taking?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 05:00:12 PM by PixelDream »
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #63 on: September 14, 2010, 12:28:13 PM »
1. They've always done some heavy stuff in the past but Part Cardiac is the heaviest thing they've done, not a 'new direction' so to speak though.

2. Yes they have done some more vox effects on this album I believe.

Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #64 on: September 14, 2010, 02:52:16 PM »
bodiesinflight @ so, after being slightly attracted to Oceansize the last 2 days or so, i searched the website of a cd-store here, and found out that they have released some limited box containing 4 cds and 3 dvds (or something like it) containing live-performances of their albums in their entirety.
It was pretty expensive, but the '5000 limited copies' and the whole idea behind it really made me interested, might purchase it.
Do you own it? or could you guide me whether its worth it or not? :P

Offline SirVoltage

• DTF secret member
« Reply #65 on: September 14, 2010, 04:47:47 PM »
Really starting to get into this band lately,

Found out just now that they played in my city TONIGHT.

AWOEKNGOIWEHRLN

Really small venue as well.

Absolutely massive arse.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #66 on: September 14, 2010, 04:51:39 PM »
Feed to Feed

I don't own it, and the biggest reason for that is it's a bit spendy being $79.54 is the cheapest via Amazon (in North America).

I had a bootleg of the entire Weekend though long before it was released and leaked.

But especially if you're really into them, the performances, and the set list especially, which includes the Music For Nurses EP and some others, make it pretty significant.

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #67 on: September 15, 2010, 10:21:07 AM »
bodiesinflight @ so, after being slightly attracted to Oceansize the last 2 days or so, i searched the website of a cd-store here, and found out that they have released some limited box containing 4 cds and 3 dvds (or something like it) containing live-performances of their albums in their entirety.
It was pretty expensive, but the '5000 limited copies' and the whole idea behind it really made me interested, might purchase it.
Do you own it? or could you guide me whether its worth it or not? :P

I do indeed own it and it is absolutely perfect for me because I'm such a massive fan and, of course, the performances are brilliant. However if you're still a bit undecided about the band I'd suggest you get a bit more into them before spending all the money on the boxset. If you decide you are a fan of the band though and that you like the first 3 albums then I'd definitely say that it's worth the money. It's certainly one of my most treasured possessions (not an exaggeration).

Hope that helps  :smiley:
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #68 on: September 15, 2010, 10:51:17 AM »
As it is now, im leaning mostly towards buying it.
Gotta say that the new album is fantastic.. really brilliant, dont force me to write the title, because its just too darn long. xD
But i really love it, the only album i've been playing for the last 2 days.

I'm becoming a fan quickly. :)

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #69 on: September 15, 2010, 10:53:13 AM »
Good news  :tup

You know that SPWTBFU isn't on the live album yeah? (not being patronising just checking you realise, wouldn't want you to be disappointed!)
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard