Author Topic: Oceansize (RIP 2011) v. VENNART 2011-Present "Forgiveness & The Grain" (2/2/24)  (Read 123457 times)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: Oceansize
« Reply #140 on: January 29, 2011, 05:43:02 PM »
Frames is probably my favorite album ever made, the variety and the perfection.  :hefdaddy
When it comes to ranking 'size-songs, i'd say The Frame, Music For a Nurse are almost tied for the first spot.
Then comes songs like: Massive Bereavement, Women Who Love Men Who Love Drugs, Ornament/The Last Wrongs, Mine Host, Savant, Paper Champion, Silent/Transparent and Superimposer.
Oceansize has the best discography out of all the bands i know, because all 4 albums are PERFECT. (the same goes for the EPs)

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #141 on: January 29, 2011, 05:46:49 PM »
Ornament/The Last Wrongs, Music for a Nurse, and Trail of Fire would all share the number one spot for me, and a few others such as Long Forgotten, The Frame, Mine Host, etc. would no doubt be close too. 

Frames has also recently rivaled Effloresce as my favorite, it's too close to call anymore!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #142 on: January 29, 2011, 06:00:14 PM »
It's insanely hard to rank the albums, even though Frames is my favorite, the others can easily contend for that spot.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #143 on: January 29, 2011, 06:36:14 PM »
EIP is easily the most addictive for me.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #144 on: January 30, 2011, 04:51:19 AM »
Everyone Into Position has ONLY good (or better) songs, but i'm still not sure if has as good flow as Effloresce or Frames.
New Pin still hasn't clicked with me, at least not as much as the rest.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #145 on: January 30, 2011, 07:38:32 AM »
Everyone Into Position has ONLY good (or better) songs, but i'm still not sure if has as good flow as Effloresce or Frames.
New Pin still hasn't clicked with me, at least not as much as the rest.

Er, I find EIP to have the highest ups of Oceansize, and it would be my favorite if not for a few weaker tracks.  By "highest ups" I mean Ornament/The Last Wrongs, which is the highest up ever, and also Music for a Nurse.  I actually really like New Pin.  It may have less atmosphere than others but the chorus melody is so powerful. 
EIP just also has a few duds to go with the two greatest Oceansize songs of all time.  I never liked You Can't Keep a Bad Man Down, for instance.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #146 on: January 30, 2011, 08:16:18 AM »
You Can't Keep a Bad Man Down is epic. :/
Not sure if EIP has the HIGHEST ups, it does have the holy 'trinity' (MFAN, Mine Host and Ornament/The Last Wrongs), but Frames is brilliant all the way through imo.
The combination of Sleeping Dogs and Dead Lions + The Frame is godlike. ;)

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #147 on: January 30, 2011, 09:32:40 AM »
Why is this debate going on? Everything they've done ever is amazing.
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #148 on: January 30, 2011, 09:35:53 AM »

Pretty much this, but discussing keeps this thread alive, and hopefully more people will see our point.  :biggrin:

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #149 on: January 30, 2011, 10:02:03 AM »

Pretty much this, but discussing keeps this thread alive, and hopefully more people will see our point.  :biggrin:

+1

So how about the Last Wrongs?  I don't think I talk about that one enough.  That guitar solo that Steve plays near the end is pretty much the greatest solo ever.  Makes me even angrier that I will never be able to see them live at this rate.

Also, I must break you https://www.oceansize.co.uk/  :lol

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #150 on: January 30, 2011, 10:11:00 AM »
Ornament/The Last Wrongs is fantastic indeed, a mindblowing track for sure.
Sadly, at one point I got the question "what's the best 'size-closer?" and The Frame just beats it IMO, but it's still a top5 'size-song (maybe even 3), and a perfect closer to a perfect album. :)

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #151 on: January 30, 2011, 10:19:04 AM »
They certainly know how to finish on a good note.  Except in the case of Self Preserved. every closer is easily a top 3 song (if not the best) in it's respective album. 

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #152 on: January 30, 2011, 11:00:29 AM »
Not really sure that i agree with Self Preserved having a bad closer, Superimposter is AWESOME. (even though Cloak is the closer to me, since i have the limited edition on my computer)
As far as song-ranking on Self Preserved goes, Superimposter would easily make it onto the top3, together with probably... Silent/Transparent and Superimposer/Build Us a Rocket Then.

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #153 on: January 30, 2011, 11:36:35 AM »
When me and a mate interviewed Steve, he said that O/TLW has everything that Oceansize do brilliantly and has it at its best at that. He's so right.

The one thing that has started to bug me about SPWTBFU is the track listing. I just think it could be better moved around a bit, say like this (not including Cloak which isn't meant to be a proper part of the record, even though I do quite like it as a closer!):

1. Part Cardiac
2. Build Us A Rocket Then...
3. Ransoms
4. SuperImposer
5. Oscar Acceptance Speech
6. SuperImposter
7. Pine
8. Silent/Transparent
9. A Penny's Weight
10. It's My Tail And I'll Chase It If I Want
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #154 on: January 30, 2011, 11:48:00 AM »
It's My Tail as a closer is interesting.  I've also had problems with the track listing, but always imagined S/T to be the closer.  But I guess that's just because S/T would be the typical Oceansize closer, and it'd be cool to see one like It's My Tail. 

The biggest problem I have with the track listing is the fact that Ransoms and A Penny's Weight are grouped together, and Pine and Superimposter are grouped together.  I've no problem with the slow, brooding pieces - I think they're lovely - but they should be a little more spaced out in my opinion. 

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #155 on: January 30, 2011, 12:14:08 PM »
I've basically wondered about the ballads/slower songs on Self Preserved being somewhat of a trail from Home & Minor. I mean if you take those tunes, and most of Home & Minor, those songs might fit well together.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #156 on: January 30, 2011, 01:53:25 PM »
The tracklisting on Self Preserved is great as it is IMO, can't complain about it.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #157 on: January 30, 2011, 01:57:14 PM »
I feel like getting some opinions out there.

Frames > Effloresce > Everyone Into Position

don't have Self-Preserved yet though I'll probably get it soon.

I wish more Oceansize intro songs were like I Am The Morning. The Charm Offensive and Commemorative 9/11 T-shirt are both rather... uninteresting in comparison. I Am The Morning is basically the perfect opener, the other two being "just songs" and both ranking in the lower half of their respective albums for me. It doesn't help that they both sounds really similar, though 9/11 is the one that suffers from that.

I don't care if the second-track single is a trend, because all three of them are damn good songs (though each one is slightly less good than the last...) Catalyst has some damn fine riffs, Heaven Alive has an infectious bass line, and Unfamiliar has great leads.

Man, I wish the band did more songs like One Day All This Could Be Yours. The spacey feel is done really well, and... that outro. Hell. Yes.

I feel like Massive Bereavement could be two songs, but works well as one song. I love the drums in that song, and the loud instrumental outro is just amazing.

I sort of wish Frames had a "break" song like Rinsed, Unravel, and Mine Host. An Old Friend Of The Christies has a "break" song feel but seeing as it lasts for 10 minutes... of course, I don't mind the length and quite like it. Mine Host is probably my favorite of the "break" songs... quiet, ambient first half and the second half sounds like a lighter You Can't Keep A Bad Man Down to me.

I didn't get You Wish at first, it's a tough one... love it now, of course. I love the loudness and riffs more than anything. Remember Where You Are is one song I've never quite gotten... the loud bridge is awesome but the rest doesn't do anything for me.

Amputee is one of those songs that I feel like I'm the only one who likes it... it's got great atmosphere IMO, and the chorus is probably the best on the album. Plus, the wah guitar line in the chorus is... phenomenal.

Women Who Love Men Who Love Drugs always seems like it's just there, but it's also incredibly hypnotizing... lots of great guitar lines.

Saturday Morning Breakfast Show is kinda eh... the first part seems out of place though I still enjoy it. On the instrumental... the loud parts are pretty awesome, but the middle part seems like what Long Forgotten's outro would be without the awesome. Very clumsy song IMO.

A Homage To A Shame is such a fine loud song... great riffs, great energy. I didn't like it at first but it really grew on me.

Meredith is kinda... I like the vocals but the song as a whole seems kinda just there.

Music For A Nurse is just beautiful and needs no comment. Well, okay... yeah. It's beautiful. And the outro climax is really well done.

New Pin is a very catchy song and I absolutely adore the drums in it. It always feels so short though :(

No Tomorrow... ugh. Why is this song on the album again? It's nothing special, and rather uninteresting. In fact, I couldn't tell you what it sounds like just from memory.

You Can't Keep A Bad Man Down... so energy... SO POWAH! Actually, for the first 4 minutes, the choruses are the only "amazing" parts though the rest is great. Then the break... which is a nice break indeed. When the song explodes (and this section sounds like a song literally exploding IMO) is just... hell yes. It's loud, frantic, and the vocals are also DAMMIT WHY IS THIS PART SO AWESOME. The outro's pretty damn great too.

Trail Of Fire is all over the place in terms of loudness, and it works so well. The quiet parts are great, the leads are amazing, and of course the loud parts are amazing. First song that clicked for me on Frames, and for good reason.

Savant is another song that's so beautiful it speaks for itself, though... yeah. Actually, I'm stopping here.

Only Twin is weird yet I love it so much. Definitely the darkest song the band's every written (unless something on Self Preserved tops it, though I doubt it...). I love the lyrics and I love the offbeat combination of the 5/8 time on top of the 3/4 time. Such a weird song but it just works so well.

Sleeping Dogs and Dead Lines can GTFO. I like some of the riffs, but it's out of place and also the worst Oceansize song anyways.

I will not even comment on the closers. They are all tied for my favorite Oceansize songs and can all speak for themselves.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #158 on: January 30, 2011, 02:13:20 PM »
I don't really get what you're saying about the openers, because (even though being amazing), I Am the Morning is still probably my least favorite out of the openers. It's still fantastic, but The Charm Offensive and 9/11 T-shirt are both more "epic", which I love them for.
I Am the Morning works perfectly within the context though, it flows into Catalyst in a great way that The Charm Offensive or 9/11 wouldn't have (in terms of Effloresce), but overall I think the other 2 are better overall, they're not just openers, they are great tracks.
That intro to 9/11 is easily one of their most progressive-moments (the whole song is tbh), and The Charm Offensive is also very brilliant.

I'd love to make a topX-Oceansize list some time, but sadly there aren't really many 'size-fans on this forum. :P

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #159 on: January 30, 2011, 02:18:06 PM »
I'm not saying any of them are bad songs (there's a trend of only being one "bad" song on each Oceansize album ;)) but as openers for each of their respective albums they don't work well. It's just that they don't really sound like the rest of the album at all (and from what I've heard Part Cardiac is the same way). Like... the mood on both doesn't fit the rest of the album. It may also be that both songs have that incredibly structured and almost mechanical sound to them, which break the illusion of atmosphere that most Oceansize songs tend to have.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #160 on: January 30, 2011, 02:27:40 PM »
Rank Frames!

1.  Trail of Fire
2.  The Frame
3.  Only Twin
4.  An Old Friend Of The Christy's
5.  Savant
6.  Commemorative 9/11 T-shirt
7.  Sleeping Dogs and Dead Lions
8.  Unfamiliar 

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #161 on: January 30, 2011, 02:34:16 PM »
I get what you're saying, but I can't really agree.
The Charm Offensive pretty much sums up the overall Everyone Into Position-sound, it's more "accessible" (then Effloresce), it's more straight-forward, it's very catchy, but can also be very heavy if it wants to. (thinking about the ending)
If i were to introduce someone to Oceansize, it would be one of the ideal-songs, because from the groovy intro, to the great guitar-riff, with the catchy chorus - you get a very good song, that sum's up (not ALL), but at least gives the listener a decent picture of how this band sounds. ;)
9/11 is very different, and looking back at it now, I'd say it's really unique in their catalog.
You said that these two songs doesn't sum up the feeling of their albums very well, and for this one i can just simply say; that summing up the sound on Frames in 1 song would be impossible.
Frames is one of the most diverse albums I know, and the beautiful thing with it is that it doesn't try to sound in one way, it has a great flow to make up for it.
9/11 > Unfamiliar > Trail of Fire > Savant. That 4 song-punch is bloody brilliant, how 9/11 ends and perfectly flows into Unfamiliar, the whole flow between these 4 songs is amazing, and before you've even thought about it, half of the album has already been played. :P
9/11 was the first Oceansize-song i heard, and it immediately blew my mind.
The intro and the build-up is magnificent, and the somewhat heavy and catchy middle-section is quite pro as well, what I love the most about it would probably be the 'quiet'-part, with pretty much just the singing and some subtle guitars.
Anyway, as I see it.. Frames is like a journey. It starts with the long epic/majestic intro to 9/11, and ends with the beautiful climax in The Frame, the journey somehow feels complete.  :heart

Ranking Frames would be:
1. The Frame
2. Savant
3. Trail of Fire
4. Sleeping Dogs and Dead Lions
5. 9/11
6. Unfamiliar
7. An Old Friend of the Christys
8. Only Twin

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #162 on: January 30, 2011, 02:38:06 PM »
Unfamiliar is much better than you guys give it credit for. No seriously.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #163 on: January 30, 2011, 02:41:10 PM »
Unfamiliar is much better than you guys give it credit for. No seriously.

It's by no means a bad song.  It just lacks the emotion and atmosphere of the other tracks on Frames.  The melody near the end is very nice, but it's only there for a short time.  The verse melodies I find weak. 

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #164 on: January 30, 2011, 02:45:20 PM »
Those vocals man... amazing.
I AM A GUY
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #165 on: January 30, 2011, 03:04:36 PM »
I can't really say anything negative about Unfamiliar, because it's fantastic.
With that said, I just happen to like 5 of the songs on the album A BIT more, not like it means anything, seeing as it's the best album ever made.  :P

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #166 on: January 30, 2011, 03:06:04 PM »
Frames isn't rank at all...

1. The Frame
2. Savant
3. Trail of Fire
4. Only Twin
5. An Old Friend of the Christies
6. Unfamiliar
7. Commemorative 9/11 T-Shirt
8. Sleeping Dogs and Dead Lions

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #167 on: January 30, 2011, 03:07:23 PM »
I'm wondering about your placement of Only Twin, Zantera.   :-\   It has so much atmosphere and creepiness, I can't bear to see it so low.  

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #168 on: January 30, 2011, 03:10:49 PM »
I love Only Twin actually, it just took the longest time to click, so I can't really compare it to the others yet, since I've loved them for a longer period of time. :P
Still, ranking Frames is pretty darn impossible.. I'm  :sadpanda: whenever I see any of the songs on Frames ranked last, because they are all so very good.

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #169 on: January 30, 2011, 03:38:06 PM »
1. The Frame
2. Unfamiliar
3. Only Twin
4. Unfamiliar
5. Commemorative 9/11 T-Shirt
6. An Old Friend of the Christy's
7. Savant

Voorhees is awesome as well but not counting bonus tracks in album rankings.
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #170 on: January 30, 2011, 03:39:28 PM »
1. The Frame
2. Unfamiliar
3. Only Twin
4. Unfamiliar
7. Savant

Unfamiliar is there twice.  I'm assuming the 2 spot was meant for Trail of Fire?  ;D

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #171 on: January 30, 2011, 03:40:54 PM »
1. Unfamiliar
2. The Frame
3. Savant
4. Trail of Fire
5. Only Twin
6. Commemorative 9/11 T-shirt
7. An Old Friend of the Christy's
8. Sleeping Dogs and Dead Lions (the only average song on the album)
I AM A GUY

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #172 on: January 30, 2011, 03:52:04 PM »
1. The Frame
2. Unfamiliar
3. Only Twin
4. Trail of Fire
7. Savant

Unfamiliar is there twice.  I'm assuming the 2 spot was meant for Trail of Fire?  ;D

No, the 4 spot is.
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #173 on: January 30, 2011, 03:54:26 PM »
Sad to see Savant and Sleeping Dogs and Dead Lions so low on the lists, both are awesome.

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #174 on: January 31, 2011, 09:53:25 AM »
Well I think all the songs on the record are perfect so the list is really totally unimportant. We're just trying to keep the thread near the top remember?  :lol
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard