Author Topic: MP's time in DT appreciation thread  (Read 7742 times)

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
MP's time in DT appreciation thread
« on: December 26, 2010, 04:24:54 PM »
With the stupid BS going on between him,DT and forum speculation. I think there needs to be some MP appreciation. The man helped build the monster that is modern DT, without him I doubt DT would be as awesome. As much as the other members talk to the fans, MP was the guy to push for new DVD's, bootlegs and was the man who ensured there was a unique set list every show.     

I still remember listening to Strange Deja Vu for the first time and having the drumming blow me away. Not because the parts were super complecated, no. It was because the drumming is driving the song and changing all through out. Then there is TGP, FF, Images and Word fucking SNARE!

AAAAAHHHHHHH  APPRECIATE!!!

I've been on a huge DT kick lately  :hat

« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 05:20:57 AM by ariich »

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: MP appreciation thread
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 04:30:21 PM »
Wrong forum?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 04:31:30 PM »
Maybe? It is an appreciation thread about his DT work though.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 04:37:49 PM »
Yes. But there's already a MP appreciation thread in the music sub.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jsem

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 04:50:57 PM »
MP is key to why DT became successful cuz of his tape trading and stuff.

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2010, 07:35:41 PM »
This seems to be more of a MP while he was in DT appreciation thread so I think it should stay.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2010, 07:42:06 PM »
That's exactly what it is. Although I will admit I completely forgot to check GMD.

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2010, 07:49:08 PM »
i seriously hope this thread doesn't get ugly.

appreciated here.
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline i am fabio

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2010, 10:33:37 PM »
I'm thinkin about starting a new thread to discuss whether this thread should be here or not. Seriously if you are not a mod why the eff do you care? lol crazy

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2010, 10:47:11 PM »
I'm thinkin about starting a new thread to discuss whether this thread should be here or not. Seriously if you are not a mod why the eff do you care? lol crazy

I think it's because some/most non-moderator members here actually care about the community.

Also, MP - appreciated. The man did a lot for the band, that much can be said, and I'm sure for many, his presence will be missed and his absence will be felt/heard in the coming months even more so. I'll admit, I haven't listened to much DT in the past couple months, but once this whole thing blows over, they'll probably get rotated back into my listening queue.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2010, 11:08:37 PM »
APPRECIATED...

I would love to take him out for a... coffee... I would love to chill with MP in a non musician-fan setting. Anyone else?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline i am fabio

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2010, 11:10:45 PM »

I think it's because some/most non-moderator members here actually care about the community.

Also, MP - appreciated. The man did a lot for the band, that much can be said, and I'm sure for many, his presence will be missed and his absence will be felt/heard in the coming months even more so. I'll admit, I haven't listened to much DT in the past couple months, but once this whole thing blows over, they'll probably get rotated back into my listening queue.

-Marc.

Caring about the community? It's a harmless thread I don't get what that has to do with it. Just comes off strange and kinda creepy. No big deal though easy to move past.

Anyways I definately appreciate MP. He has dont alot for the band and the fans. It's too bad it went down this way but hopefully in the future things will calm down and they can communicate again. Not saying he should come back ever but some special shows or whatever down the line would rock!

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2010, 11:16:09 PM »
MP has probably been my favorite member, but only by an inch.  he is awesome in so many ways.  i still think of the video posted here of him at a rush concert and how much of a fan he is himself

Offline pmahoney1337

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2010, 11:16:24 PM »

-Marc.
Just because some non-mod members think this doesn't deserve its own thread doesn't mean they care about the community any more than The Letter M. I personally don't think it's that big of a deal, just ignore it.

Appreciation to MP!!

Offline dethklok09

• Mike
  • Great band
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2010, 11:37:03 PM »
he truly did make dream theater all the more interesting especially outside of the actual music. btw he has a blue beard, that alone deserves appreciation.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2010, 12:51:53 AM »

-Marc.

Caring about the community? It's a harmless thread I don't get what that has to do with it. Just comes off strange and kinda creepy. No big deal though easy to move past.

Anyways I definately appreciate MP. He has dont alot for the band and the fans. It's too bad it went down this way but hopefully in the future things will calm down and they can communicate again. Not saying he should come back ever but some special shows or whatever down the line would rock!

Eh, what I meant was more along the lines of that members like to see things kept neat-and-clean here, where proper topics of discussion can be kept to certain forums and threads that are dedicated to those topics. It just happens a lot when "news" surrounding DT and it's current/past members comes up - there are several threads about the same thing, or nearly the same thing.

I do agree, though, that this is a thread worthy of it's own discussion as it deviates from the GMD thread by focusing on MP's career in DT and not outside of it, so  :tup for that!

I wish I had more to add to this other than the normal "MP's drumming rocks!" or "MP's lyrics are great" or things like that, but I just haven't been into DT lately. However, months ago, I was working on a project/compilation of DT songs with lyrics by MP (as well as some DT instrumentals to fill it out). It was going to be set-up as a setlist and some songs would've been cross-faded with others...

10:15 - "The Mirror" (Demo Version)
11:36 - "Raise The Knife"
 6:46 - "Never Enough" ->
 8:56 - "Overture 1928/Strange Deja Vu"
 5:28 - "Just Let Me Breathe"
 6:55 - "Constant Motion"
10:14 - "Honor Thy Father"
 8:20 - "New Millennium"
13:03 - "Home"
 5:43 - "Ytse Jam"
 9:45 - "Burning My Soul/Hell's Kitchen" ->
11:56 - "Finally Free" -> (Static Sounds)
55:51 - "The Twelve Step Suite"
    5:53 - "I. Reflection"
    3:48 - "II. Restoration"
    4:07 - "III. Revelation"
    6:37 - "IV. Reflections Of Reality (Revisited)"
    4:45 - "V. Release"
    2:41 - "VI. Ready"
    4:27 - "VII. Remove"
    5:44 - "VIII. Regret"
    4:57 - "IX. Restitution"
    5:27 - "X. Restraint"
    3:56 - "XI. Receive"
    3:29 - "XII. Responsible"
 5:11 - "Eve"
13:07 - "The Best of Times"
23:06 - "A Change of Seasons"

I was also thinking of tossing in "Chris & Kevin's Excellent Adventure" for a bit of fun, but I couldn't figure out where.

It would've been cool to see a setlist like this some day. Looking at this list, it's great to see how many AWESOME DT songs have MP's lyrics in them, and many of these songs showcase some of his best drumming as well!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2010, 03:51:18 AM »
I'm certainly going to appreciate MP and the effect he and the band have had on my life.
Great musician and music fan (even though alot of what he listens to I can't stand).
The biggest compliment I can pay him is that I've bought all the drumcam dvds from DT albums and I play guitar.
Was a driving force behind the band and the music and I'll certainly have a look at whatever he puts out.
But I still haven't forgiven  him for banning me from his forum when this all kicked off. Some understanding that people would be stunned and upset should have been expected and I did not insult him. To be lumped in with the trolls hurt and it has soured my appreciation of MP the man. If you provide a forum for "discussion" you cannot censor the opinions you don't like, and if you dish it out you need to be able to take it.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: MP's time in DT appreciation thread
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2010, 05:23:39 AM »
Thanks to those who pointed out that there is already a thread in GMD (https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=19086.0); however, that thread is more about his upcoming projects, what he'll do next, etc. On this occasion I think El Jonno has now made it clear (although it wasn't entirely so in the OP) that this is a thread to appreciate his time in DT, so I think keeping it here is fine. :)

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2010, 07:28:27 AM »
His vocal work is pretty good as well... at least not as bad as some say.

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2010, 07:51:34 AM »
MP has probably been my favorite member, but only by an inch.  he is awesome in so many ways.  i still think of the video posted here of him at a rush concert and how much of a fan he is himself

What is this? I've never seen it!

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2010, 12:01:46 PM »
What is this? I've never seen it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzQnETETHyU

Also, as was pointed it out when it was originally posted here (by Kev, I think), the fact that he takes time for pictures and autographs when he is out watching someone else's show demonstrates what a cool guy he really is. 

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2010, 01:37:13 PM »
 :tup Thank you, what a cool video! Definitely a true music fan!

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2010, 05:53:46 PM »
Portnoy is the only drummer I've really heard who consistently did stuff like the tom fills in Metropolis Pt. I.

A lot of drummers want to push the instrument in new directions, few succeed.  Portnoy was one of those few.  Look at how Portnoy was able to come up with tons of different grooves for one idea in individual DT songs.  He always was able to see a different angle like few other drummers.

Also, listen to his work with OSI, John Arch, and Transatlantic.  He was able to change up his style in the best way possible.  He would do things unique to the project, but keep the essence of what made his drumming his own.  As a fan, it's a wonderful experience.  It's like a great director who crosses genres well.  You want to enjoy the director's signature elements in different settings.

The other drummers I like the most aren't the most technical, but the ones like Gavin Harrison who try to add more feel and creativity to their work.  Portnoy to me represents the height of this.  He combined groove, technicality, originality, and balls to become my favorite drummer of all time.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2010, 07:13:50 PM »
Also, listen to his work with OSI, John Arch, and Transatlantic.  He was able to change up his style in the best way possible.  He would do things unique to the project, but keep the essence of what made his drumming his own.  As a fan, it's a wonderful experience.  It's like a great director who crosses genres well.  You want to enjoy the director's signature elements in different settings.
And when he changed his style for the gig, he also knew when the gig required him taking more of a backseat. Like the playing I saw him do on JP's G3 gigs was pretty tasteful and/or "modest."