Author Topic: Moon Safari  (Read 44869 times)

Offline ColdFireYYZ

Re: Moon Safari
« Reply #175 on: August 20, 2013, 10:11:44 PM »
I'm on my second listen right now. This album is great, and the vocals/harmonies/melodies are as excellent as I expected them to be. And of course the musicianship is fantastic as well, especially the keys.

I don't know how this band continuously puts out such high-quality, catchy and melodic music. Moon Safari is definitely one of the best and most consistently great prog bands out there right now, IMO. Can't wait for Volume 2!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #176 on: August 21, 2013, 08:17:07 AM »
Only one listen through but I think it's my favorite Moon Safari album. I'll have to see how it grows with time.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #177 on: August 21, 2013, 10:36:17 AM »
Dammit, can't buy this until tomorrow. I'll be all over it like a cheap suit then though!

(edit): Eh, only 8 bucks and it's Moon Safari. ON IT.  :biggrin:

(edit II): How can they keep putting out music this consistently awesome, over and over again?! Amazing album.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 12:49:23 PM by Jaq »
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #178 on: August 22, 2013, 01:39:30 PM »
Mega Moon is quickly becoming one of my favorite songs ever. I can't help but smile every single time I listen to it

Offline Jaq

« Reply #179 on: August 22, 2013, 04:43:09 PM »
Mega Moon's awesome, but it's merely my THIRD favorite song on the album. Diamonds and Sugar Band are running just ahead of it for the lead. I've played this album about ten times since yesterday and it refuses to stop being awesome. Moon Safari's sheer level of quality is amazing, especially when you consider they've never had an album any worse than really damn good.  :biggrin:
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline adace

« Reply #180 on: August 23, 2013, 02:53:37 PM »
Just listened to the new album, :heart it.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #181 on: August 25, 2013, 08:06:32 AM »
I might need an intervention. I CAN'T STOP PLAYING THIS ALBUM.

So damn catchy!

Offline 2Timer

• The only DT fan who plays country music!
  • Don't turn your back on parrot eyes
« Reply #182 on: August 25, 2013, 09:56:45 AM »
Just bought it yesterday, and only had a chance to listen once the whole way through. It's way too early for me to form opinions of any one song, but definitely a very solid album, and I know that it will grow into something amazing for me...again!
I am God when it goes to hell
When it turns out good I'm not to blame

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #183 on: August 28, 2013, 08:18:11 PM »
Best Moon Safari album IMO. I'm putting it between the 3 best albums of this year.

Offline 2Timer

« Reply #184 on: August 30, 2013, 07:45:10 AM »
Diamonds...Oh. My. God...

Offline Meatrose

• Built for heavy lifting
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Let me show you my new means of transportation...
« Reply #185 on: August 30, 2013, 08:13:39 AM »
I haven't listened to the album yet to be honest. I'm going to see them live in a couple of hours so I'm holding out. I have high expectations for this album (but I'm not expecting it to be on par with Blomljud).

Offline Jaq

« Reply #186 on: August 30, 2013, 09:15:09 AM »
I'd put Mega Moon, Diamonds, and Sugar Band on a par with ANY of the best songs Moon Safari has done. Blomljud's always going to be their masterpiece but this album's really, really, really, really good.  :biggrin:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #187 on: August 30, 2013, 05:24:46 PM »
I'm listening to the new album on Progstreaming.com and it is awesome.  I need to get into this band.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #188 on: August 30, 2013, 05:30:16 PM »
I'm listening to the new album on Progstreaming.com and it is awesome.  I need to get into this band.
In case you're interested, you can stream all of their albums in full on Bandcamp.
https://moonsafari.bandcamp.com/

Definitely check out Lover's End!!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: August 30, 2013, 05:31:36 PM »
Thanks!  I'm going to buy a few albums.  This is a great album.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline 2Timer

« Reply #190 on: August 30, 2013, 08:47:10 PM »
I haven't listened to the album yet to be honest. I'm going to see them live in a couple of hours so I'm holding out. I have high expectations for this album (but I'm not expecting it to be on par with Blomljud).

If you're going to see them soon, don't you want to be familiar with the new stuff?
And some of the 'wall of sound' vocals hooks are right up with there with Blomljud's stuff.
Enjoy the show! I hope you get to meet them, they're great guys to talk to. And, of course, we expect a full report!!!

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #191 on: August 31, 2013, 05:27:31 AM »
What's the best album to get into them? Should I try Blomljud first, even though it's 100 mins long? Or better with the debut?

Offline Jaq

« Reply #192 on: August 31, 2013, 06:59:33 AM »
Blomljud is their best album, no question, but if you're uncertain about investing that much time, their newest one is much shorter and nearly as good. But I started with Blomljud first and never looked back. There's a link to streaming their albums on Bandcamp a few posts up, give em a try. You won't regret it if you like prog rock at all.  :biggrin:

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #193 on: August 31, 2013, 08:07:18 AM »
Listening to Blomljud for the second time now, beautiful!
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline Meatrose

• Built for heavy lifting
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Let me show you my new means of transportation...
« Reply #194 on: August 31, 2013, 09:38:08 AM »
Yeah I've listened to the new album a couple of times now and I actually did so twice before going to the concert yesterday. It's a really great one but in my personal opinion it's not up there with Blomljud. Perhaps I should add that Blomljud is my favorite non-DT album of all time so when I say that I still think that Blomljud is in a league of its own it doesn't really say much about my thoughts on Himlabacken. The new album is awesome and I can't wait for part 2.

The guys put on a truly great show yesterday, as always. I didn't chat with any of them this time though so I have no anecdotes to share I'm afraid. ^^;

If I had to mention something negative about the evening it would be that the sound is really bad in this venue. The guitar was sometimes suffering, as well as the keyboards but the biggest problem was that the vocals were pretty much slaughtered by the drums and the bass which is a damn shame given how important the vocals are in Moon Safari's music. It was still very enjoyable. Their live performances truly are amazing and I would LOVE to see them play better venues in the future. They truly deserve it. It's kind of heartbreaking to see a talented group of young men with their songwriting skills not being able to fill a venue that only takes about 300 people when "bands" like freaking One Direction fill national arenas on a regular basis.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 09:44:57 AM by Meatrose »

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #195 on: August 31, 2013, 10:48:36 AM »
It's kind of heartbreaking to see a talented group of young men with their songwriting skills not being able to fill a venue that only takes about 300 people when "bands" like freaking One Direction fill national arenas on a regular basis.
Amen

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #196 on: September 03, 2013, 02:18:43 PM »
So, one week and many listens later I think it's safe to say that Blomljud will forever be safe in my top 50, probably a lot higher. Absolutely beautiful album. I'm looking forward to exploring the other albums!

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #197 on: September 03, 2013, 02:22:55 PM »
Will be seeing them in 2 days - in a venue in the middle of Germany that holds 300 at most, and probably will attract not more than half of that (as it's a work day)... But here's still hope to report a bigger crowd. AWESOME band with a FANTASTIC new album.  :hat

Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #198 on: September 03, 2013, 04:11:21 PM »
Moon Safari reminds me of:

Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline 2Timer

« Reply #199 on: September 04, 2013, 05:14:05 PM »
Will be seeing them in 2 days - in a venue in the middle of Germany that holds 300 at most, and probably will attract not more than half of that (as it's a work day)... But here's still hope to report a bigger crowd. AWESOME band with a FANTASTIC new album.  :hat

It's cool that you're getting to see them again...hopefully I get the chance again someday too! And I strongly agree with you about the new album.

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #200 on: September 06, 2013, 12:03:52 PM »
My video from Mega Moon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3shZ3D_ZHw&feature=youtu.be

It was a fantastic concert. Incredible how they nailed all these vocal parts. Lovely guys as well. They joined the fans before and immediately after the show.  :tup
Video of Constant Bloom and pics coming up.

Meine Musikliste

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #201 on: September 06, 2013, 01:29:15 PM »
And here's Constant Bloom from the same show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAas-r70IQo&feature=youtu.be

Meine Musikliste

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #202 on: September 06, 2013, 01:46:36 PM »
Best Constant Bloom performance I've seen :clap:

Offline Jaq

« Reply #203 on: September 06, 2013, 01:49:16 PM »
Awesome videos. I will see Moon Safari live some day. Oh yes I will. I really love these guys.

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #204 on: September 06, 2013, 03:34:01 PM »
Btw, around 70 people in the audience - who had a great time. But it's a shame that a band like this does not attract more people...

Meine Musikliste

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran

Meine Musikliste

Offline 2Timer

« Reply #206 on: September 06, 2013, 06:49:45 PM »
Thank you for sharing so much. Just looking at the pics and seeing them having the time of their lives made me smile. Constant Bloom was the best I've heard too, and Mega Moon was great for being so new. The only complaint I have about their sound is that Simon is lower in the mix than he should be. It was the same way when I saw them at Rosfest 3 years ago. Maybe his voice just needs more gain than they're able to give him on a noisy stage. His tone is gorgeous, though.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #207 on: March 23, 2014, 11:54:07 AM »
Love this band, performed Constant Bloom in my clarinet quartet. Check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFrbDtKJv0g
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #208 on: December 31, 2016, 06:13:35 AM »
Moon Safari is headlining Friday night at RoSfest!!!  I finally get to see them live!!

Offline smegolas

« Reply #209 on: May 19, 2017, 09:15:40 AM »
I have just discovered these guys thanks to hearing Yasgur’s Farm on a random prog playlist.  It caught my attention immediately and I have since listened to nothing but Moon Safari for the past month.  I absolutely love this stuff, just pissed Apple Music doesn’t have Himlabacken.

Bumping this up in the hopes that more people discover this incredible band.