Author Topic: The Foo Fighters Thread  (Read 83479 times)

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
Re: The Foo Fighters Thread
« Reply #350 on: December 14, 2014, 11:06:16 PM »
One by One is great.  The first Foos album I bought.  Its definitely a grower not a shower.

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #351 on: December 15, 2014, 04:23:50 AM »
It is probably their first album I purchased (I think) ...Times Like These still one of their all time best tracks....in my opinion.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #352 on: December 15, 2014, 10:30:09 AM »
You may not believe me :p but i've been a Foos fan since the first album.

I remember telling my friend way back in 1994 / 1995 that Dave Grohl had formed a new band called " Foo Fighters " and they were going to be massive.

Those first two albums blew me away pretty much but the 3rd album only revealed itself in retrospect . It was a bit soft for me at the time.

After that they were pretty much a singles band up until ESPG which I thought was a decent return to form then Wasting Light came out :o

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #353 on: December 15, 2014, 01:47:43 PM »
I became a fan around the time of There Is Nothing Left To Lose. They had brilliant singles off that album, and then I heard Monkey Wrench from the previous one and it sealed the deal.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #354 on: December 15, 2014, 02:43:48 PM »
Oddly enough, I almost wrote them off back in 2012 when I heard "These Days" on the radio, and I was like, "Hmmm, maybe this band may not be for me if this is their latest offering." 

Suddenly, when I heard "Walk" on the radio, and just really loved the upbeat energy to it.  Then, I saw the music video, and heard that the WWE used it for a tribute video for retired superstar, Edge, at his request, for their Hall of Fame which sealed the deal for me.

Then I watched their proshot set in Wembley Stadium and that made them a fave five band to me.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #355 on: December 15, 2014, 06:22:59 PM »
I do remember seeing Big Me all over MTV when I was a kid but I would've been 4 when that album was out. 

I kinda have a casual relationship with the Foos, I enjoy their music but I'm not a diehard by any means.  They seem to be some kinda go-to band for the bandwagon jumper, at least over here - for the guys who think Dave Grohl is a god and is the only one doing rock and roll for reals these days. 

I feel like I'm waiting for them to do something new.  Like, really new, not 'new because no-ones done it this way for 25 years' new.  Which is bullshit anyway, plenty of bands were still recording to tape when the Foos decided the were retro-awesome did the whole Wasting Light thing. 

/rant.  Good band tho. 

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #356 on: December 21, 2014, 04:48:19 PM »
One by One is great.  The first Foos album I bought.  Its definitely a grower not a shower.

Absolutely. I tend to be a fan of music that grows on me more than immediate impact for some reason. It's important to have those immediate impact type songs though and Foo does both pretty damn well. This album for the most part has lots of songs that have lots of depth and as I mentioned before a darkness to them (especially in comparison to the rest of the discography). One By One is much, much better than the majority ranks it in their catalog IMO.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #357 on: December 21, 2014, 04:53:25 PM »
One week I listened to an entire Foos album every day.

Still love the first two . The third was a nice surprise. Much better than I remember. Echoes...held up pretty well. In Your Honour sounded as forced as I remember it

but One By One was definitely the worst one for me.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #358 on: December 23, 2014, 05:14:25 AM »
Teenage Time Killer - New supergroup featuring Dave Grohl, Corey Taylor, and others. Debut album will come next year.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/all-star-project-preps-lp-featuring-dave-grohl-slipknots-corey-taylor-20141222

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #359 on: December 23, 2014, 09:30:12 AM »
Man, anything with Dave Grohl and Corey Taylor, together, should be good.  I loved From Can to Can't that they did on the Sound City Soundtrack.  That song got me into Stone Sour.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #360 on: January 03, 2015, 03:37:33 PM »
Well, very late to post this, but I got a very great Christmas present last week.  I got tickets to see Foo Fighters at the Forum in LA in September.  Yes, they are nosebleed seats, but I am very excited for this.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #361 on: January 05, 2015, 03:15:03 AM »
A bit late for the ranking stuff but

1.Wasting Light
2.The Color And The Shape
3.In Your Honor
4.Sonic Highways
5.Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace
6.There's Nothing Left To Lose
7.Foo Fighters
8.One By One
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline dparrott

« Reply #362 on: April 03, 2015, 12:30:43 PM »
Just got Sonic Highways, I was hoping there would be more of an influence from each city they recorded in.  It just sounds like a good FF album they could have recorded anywhere.  The city-by-city thing doesn't seem to affect the final product.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #363 on: April 03, 2015, 10:34:35 PM »
I think the only aspect of the city-by-city thing was pretty much from a lyrical sense.  From what I've heard, Dave pretty much interview people, for the TV series, that came from these cities and gain some inspiration to write the lyrics on certain things on that city.  For example, Something From Nothing was about a city on fire that managed to rebound itself back up (Chicago).  Congregation talked about gathering people in a church and being inspired to sing where Nashville happened to be a good source of that.  I don't know about the other locations though.

That said, when I heard about this idea, I did kinda hope to hear some certain aspects, instrumentally, that was really specialized in that particular city.  Oh well.  It's still an ok album.  Still one of my faves from 2014.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #364 on: April 04, 2015, 01:38:53 AM »
I'm sure that all songs had unique sonic characteristics created by the different studios before they were overprocessed during mixing and butchered by excessive dynamic range compression.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #365 on: April 04, 2015, 03:26:55 AM »
I'm sure that all songs had unique sonic characteristics created by the different studios before they were overprocessed during mixing and butchered by excessive dynamic range compression.

I see what you did there  :P

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #366 on: April 20, 2015, 09:48:32 AM »
Hey Mikemangioy, Foo Fighters announced another Europe tour in November with two dates in Italy, you free these days?

https://foofighters.com/post/116896978447/psyched-to-announce-the-foos-are-headed-to-europe

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #367 on: June 12, 2015, 05:04:27 AM »
Going to see Foo Fighters tonight and i'm very excited. I've seen alot of great and big bands in my life but I realised today that Foo Fighters is the biggest act up until now.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #368 on: June 12, 2015, 10:19:59 AM »
Jealous!

Let us know how it went!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #369 on: June 12, 2015, 02:14:55 PM »
Looks like Dave fell off the stage, and continued to play with a cast leg!

https://www.aftonbladet.se/nojesbladet/musik/rockbjornen/article20957760.ab (Article in English)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #370 on: June 12, 2015, 03:02:10 PM »
Dave confirms Sonic Highways Season 2 will focus on the UK.

Kinda confirms a lot of people's suspicions that the last album was thrown together and they actually really focussed on the documentary.

After Wasting Light - it was a huge drop off in quality.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #371 on: June 12, 2015, 06:02:19 PM »
Looks like Dave fell off the stage, and continued to play with a cast leg!

https://www.aftonbladet.se/nojesbladet/musik/rockbjornen/article20957760.ab (Article in English)
Yea that was crazy! Lots of confusion because I didn't see the fall or anything but people started running around on stage and the band kept on playing but after a while stopped when they realised what happend. Suddenly you hear Dave go:

"I love you all but I think I broke my leg"  and on screen you see him laying on the floor with a mike talking. Crazy!

He told everyone they will be back! The rest of the band jammed a few covers and 15-20mins later they carry Dave out on stage and place him in a chair with his foot resting on a stool and they went on to play for 2+ hours with a short break when Dave went backstage to get his leg in a cast.

Such a crazy yet amazing thing to witness. They played their ass of for the rest of the show! My respect for Dave went up the roof!!
"
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 02:39:44 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #372 on: June 13, 2015, 03:19:52 AM »

« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 03:31:57 AM by Zydar »

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #373 on: June 13, 2015, 03:33:51 AM »
That might be the most badass thing in the history of rock n' roll.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #374 on: June 13, 2015, 03:34:50 AM »
Dave is the shit. This confirms it.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #375 on: June 13, 2015, 04:12:07 AM »
That might be the most badass thing in the history of rock n' roll.

Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #376 on: June 13, 2015, 04:19:51 AM »
Having spent the last year recovering from a double leg fracture he has my

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #377 on: June 13, 2015, 09:22:46 PM »
Like Hef said....  I think that's one of the most EPIC R&R things I've ever seen...   :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #378 on: June 14, 2015, 07:47:14 AM »
When he said "I'm so sorry, i'm so sorry" I have to say I felt a bit emotional NOT because for what happend to him but because he genuinely felt ashamed over it. I'm mean shit happens and this could have happend to anyone and all that but still there's 50000+ paying costumers and to abort a show after two songs is pretty fucking brutal for any artists that basically LIVES to perform on stage. I could pretty much feel the tension in the air. I'm ashamed to say it but their where alot of people that left the arena, especially when he went backstage to cast his leg. Stupid fucking people right but that's pretty disheartening for any artists to see. When the reast of the band started to play covers Taylor Hawkins looked like he was about to cry and was acting confused mostly because he was worried about Dave but also about what to communicate to the audience. It was pretty tense to say the least.

Luckily it all turned around to be the greatest concert experience of my life, period!! No words can describe the feedback Dave and the band got from the audience towards the end of the show, really magical!

Some crappy pictures from friday:

« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 08:03:45 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #379 on: June 17, 2015, 01:15:44 AM »
They have cancelled the rest of the European tour.

Some words from Dave: https://foofighters.com/operation

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #380 on: June 17, 2015, 07:51:55 AM »
Ah to bad but not unexptected.  :lol I'm still trying to digest what happend.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #381 on: June 17, 2015, 07:58:59 AM »
They have cancelled the rest of the European tour.

Some words from Dave: https://foofighters.com/operation
Sorry to hear that, but probably unavoidable.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #382 on: July 05, 2015, 05:22:34 AM »
They did a comeback show last night in Washington DC, after three weeks off.

Dave sat on a throne all night.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #383 on: July 05, 2015, 07:41:00 AM »
That's hilarious!  :lol  :metal

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #384 on: July 06, 2015, 07:03:58 AM »
Yes, Dave is the man!