Author Topic: All Star Trek Discussion Thread ("Into Darkness" trailer released)  (Read 428358 times)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: All Star Trek Discussion Thread
« Reply #70 on: December 24, 2010, 02:07:58 PM »
I've got to say my favorite episode of DS9 is Far Beyond the Stars.  Sisko in his mind goes back to the 50's as a comic bok writer who can't publish his comic book story because of his race was a top notch episode.

That and the Softball episode are my favs.

This. And In The Pale Moonlight - a very un-treky episode, but one of the best.

IT'S A FAAAKKKKEE!

Offline 5

• Serial thread killer
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #71 on: December 24, 2010, 11:49:36 PM »
I've got to say my favorite episode of DS9 is Far Beyond the Stars.  Sisko in his mind goes back to the 50's as a comic bok writer who can't publish his comic book story because of his race was a top notch episode.

That and the Softball episode are my favs.

This. And In The Pale Moonlight - a very un-treky episode, but one of the best.

IT'S A FAAAKKKKEE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwbPRCRkMy0&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lHgbbM9pu4

Offline PetFish

« Reply #72 on: December 25, 2010, 12:24:00 AM »
Shows:

Love:  TNG (after Season 1), Voyager (after 7of9 arrives)
OK:  Enterprise, Original Series
Hate:  DS9

Characters:

Love:  Picard, Data, 7of9, Doctor, Lt. Barcley, Q, Hoshi, Tripp, Scotty, La Forge, Quark, O'Brien, Deanna Troi, Garrack, Ryker, Tasha Yar, Jadxia Dax, Kaylar
OK:  Kirk, Spock, Janeway, The Crushers, Guinan, etc.
Hate:  Kes, Worf, Sisco, Momma Troi, Harry Kim, Neelix, Dr. Flox, Belanna Torres, Odo, Alexander (Son of Worf)

Movies:

Love:  II, IV, VII, VIII, XI
OK:  I, III
Hate:  V, VI, IX, X (too Picard/Data-centric)

Races:

Love:  Borg, Romulan, Jem'Hadar (what the Klingons should have been)
OK:  Vulcan, Cardassian
Hate:  Klingon (too primitively violent to even be warp-capable), Ferengie (too stupid), Founders, Reman, blue-antenna guys

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: December 25, 2010, 06:16:52 PM »
Hate:  DS9

Question if you don't mind me asking but what do you hate about DS9? I find it's my favorite series and I'm curious why you dislike it.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #74 on: December 25, 2010, 06:27:25 PM »

Question if you don't mind me asking but what do you hate about DS9? I find it's my favorite series and I'm curious why you dislike it.

There's only 1 reason to hate DS9. Complete insanity. Even if it did have the overall worst acting.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: December 25, 2010, 06:34:37 PM »
How can you hate Laxwana (spelling, anyone?) Troi?  Her episodes were some of the best of Next Generation!  And I wouldn't really call the Klingons "primatively" violent.  I believe there are several mentions of Klingon scientists throughout the series.  They just hold tradition (lots of which revolves around ancient violence) in high regard.  They're driven more by honor than anything.  That shouldn't stop them from developing warp capabilities.  Ferengi aren't really stupid, either.  That's what I like about them.  They're kind of a comic relief race, but they've got quite the business smarts.

Basically I'm disagreeing with what most of PetFish is saying at this point  :lol

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #76 on: December 25, 2010, 08:27:15 PM »
"What does that little one do, Mr. Woof?"

Lwaxana episodes were great! Especially when Picard gets Data's unwitting help to evade her romantic advances and then hides in the holodeck. ("Manhunt")

Offline PetFish

« Reply #77 on: December 25, 2010, 10:41:19 PM »
I hated DS9 cuz mostly cuz of the storylines.  I think being in a stationary place (DS9) and having most of the adventures come to you or at least start out there didn't work for me.  The whole "emissary" thing and Sisco's overall acting ability were lame.

I don't like Deanna's Mom just cuz I don't like her.  I think the only part I did enjoy was when she got Picard to profess his love to her and threaten to destroy the Ferengie ship if they didn't return her.  That was awesome.

As for the Klingons... it's one thing to be honourable but they take it way beyond anything remotely reasonable.  Like when one is dishonoured it dishonours his son and his son for 3 generations (or something like that).  So does that mean his grandkids can't get a job at McKlingon's?  When Commander Kern says that normally he would have killed Ryker for offering a suggestion on how to make the ship run better, come on, that's a subordinate's job, to help his superiors make choices as long as they don't break the chain of command.  How does a Klingon even grow up to be an adult?  It seems like they can be killed for just about any reason and it's OK.  I will say they have the coolest weapon ever with the bat'leth.

I guess my major complaint about Klingons probably centres on Worf.  His character blew but maybe it was mainly the wooden acting.  His fight scenes were just so stupid.  Other Klingons are much more exciting with actual personalities.  It's funny how 96% of Worf's suggestions (ie Captain, I recommend we raise shields) are shot down by Picard.  Although I will say the episode where Worf keeps skipping through quantum realities is one of my all-time favourites.

Every series and character has great moments, don't get me wrong, but overall my opinions represent how I generally feel about them.

:)

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: December 25, 2010, 10:51:43 PM »

There's only 1 reason to hate DS9. Complete insanity. Even if it did have the overall worst acting.

I have to respectfully disagree with you.

While every series of ST had some good and great acting, I think DS9 had the most solid acting from the entire main cast.

I too didn't like Sisko's acting at the start but I think it had some great development over the course of the series making it's peak at season 6 & 7.

Offline 5

• Serial thread killer
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #79 on: December 26, 2010, 01:52:47 AM »

While every series of ST had some good and great acting, I think DS9 had the most solid acting from the entire main cast.

I too didn't like Sisko's acting at the start but I think it had some great development over the course of the series making it's peak at season 6 & 7.

Also, the character development of Gul Dukat was probably the best written thing in the entire ST universe.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: December 26, 2010, 06:57:03 AM »
Gul Dukat's descent into insanity after his daughter's death was great.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #81 on: December 26, 2010, 07:54:46 AM »
3.  I think Kirk kicked him off of that ledge on the Genesis planet.  I HAVE HAD...ENOUGH...OF...YOU!
4.  Vulcans don't consider frolicking in the San Francisco Bay to be a worthwhile endeavor. 

3. That was Kruge, Christopher Lloyd's character, who got kicked.  Maltz was the guy who accidentally saved Kirk and Company by beaming them aboard the Klingon ship.  Kirk said he'd kill him later, Maltz said he did not deserve to live, then we never saw him again.
4. The scene with them jumping into the water almost looked like outtake footage.  They were playing around and stuff.  It does definitely look like Nimoy doesn't want to go into the water.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: December 26, 2010, 09:02:12 AM »

Yes it was.  That whole arc where he seduces the old bajoran religious figure (forget her name) and they plan to release the Pa'Wraiths was so good.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #83 on: December 26, 2010, 09:07:52 AM »
Star Trek is best whenever there is war and action.  It'a a male soap opera. Just ask Kirk and Riker.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Adami

« Reply #84 on: December 26, 2010, 10:20:46 AM »

Yes it was.  That whole arc where he seduces the old bajoran religious figure (forget her name) and they plan to release the Pa'Wraiths was so good.

Her name was Adami and it freaked me out so much.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: December 26, 2010, 10:25:04 AM »

Her name was Adami and it freaked me out so much.

Adami was such a solid bitch throughout the whole series.

Offline 5

• Serial thread killer
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #86 on: December 26, 2010, 10:25:50 AM »
 :rollin

Offline Vivace

« Reply #87 on: December 26, 2010, 10:37:29 AM »
1.  The Klingons probably assumed the crew were hiding.  They were expecting an ambush.
2.  The movie does not follow the same rules.  Different universe.  (Different timeline, actually)
3.  I think Kirk kicked him off of that ledge on the Genesis planet.  I HAVE HAD...ENOUGH...OF...YOU!
4.  Vulcans don't consider frolicking in the San Francisco Bay to be a worthwhile endeavor. 
5.  There were too many plot holes with that chick to count.  Good movie, but they dropped the ball with her. 

1) True, as Kruge also assumed this as well, the minute he heard the countdown was the minute he figured it out. It's a nitpicking part but nonetheless a bit strange.
2) But there lies the problem. IF the 2009 movie is supposed to be a "new" universe then we really don't "need" to establish the old universe. You can just establish the new universe by introducing the changed elements and going from there. This would explain Spock now being the programmer for the Kobiashe Moroue. However the fact that the movie DOES establish that this "universe" is attached in some way to the other universe of the original Star Trek thus establishes that we are in fact looking backward in time at the same universe, which as now been altered by the Romulans which means that Kirk's timeline is the only one altered and anything the Romulans encountered in the 20 years since that incident. This doesn't explain why Spock is now the programmer and in fact it contradicts that point completely. All in all, it doesn't really matter as it's only a movie but it does establish yet ANOTHER plot hole in the 2009 movie. Oh well.

5) I read that Valaris was supposed to be Savak from Star Trek II and III but Kim Catrall didn't want to be the third actress to be Savik and thus pined to have the character changed. As for any other plot holes with her, I don't remember any, except for a plot hole that I think most people missed. IMDB lists it thank God. The final scene with the Enterprise, Excelsior and The Bird of Prey, they destroy the Bird of Prey with a modified Torpedo that uses equipment to map gaseous anamolies. Um... The Enterprise would not have that equipment on board as they came from spacedock on a diplomatic mission, not a scientific mission. However, the Execelsior would have that. But since Kirk needs to be the one to destroy the Bird of Prey poor Sulu is left to do "nothing". ;)
"What kind of Jedis are these? Guardians of peace and justice my ass!"

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"

Offline Vivace

« Reply #88 on: December 26, 2010, 10:42:12 AM »
It was established by many that the setup with the Klingon Empire is a paradox. That is, it could never stand nor continue for as long as it does. You can tell during DS9 they were "trying" to tweek the Klingons to make them appear a bit more "possible" but in the end, I agree, it's a race that seriously cannot stand as it involves way too many contradictions and impossible situations.

Oh and I concur. In the Pale Moonlight is easily a contender for greatest Star Trek episode of "all time". That is, of all the episodes of every series, that episode alone could easily be the greatest episode ever made. It's that good.

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #89 on: January 02, 2011, 12:28:23 AM »

Offline Vivace

« Reply #90 on: January 03, 2011, 08:37:40 AM »

Dukat was awesome

until they ruined it with season 7.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #91 on: January 03, 2011, 09:12:27 AM »
Dukat was still great in season 7.  His fall to insanity was done well I thought, and if nothing else it did bring about the fantastic arc surrounding Dumar.

I've always been amused that Marc Alaimo(Dukat) and Salome Jens(Female Changeling) were from my home, Milwaukee.  Marc Alaimo even went to the same university as I did.

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #92 on: January 03, 2011, 01:57:25 PM »

I agree, I think DS9 has easily the best ensemble of actors. Avery Brooks ain't a great character actor by any means but I thought he was great for Sisco.

Dukat was awesome

until they ruined it with season 7.

Yeah Dukat wasn't as fun after he lost his mind. Actaully I thought the Pahwraiths in general was stupid, reducing the the whole Prophets thread to lame good vs. eeeeee-vil stuff. Worst part of the final season I must say.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #93 on: January 03, 2011, 04:30:13 PM »
I agree about Dukat taking a turn for the silly in the final season, but it did make for a fantastic subplot with Damar, who was a much more interesting character. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #94 on: January 03, 2011, 05:39:53 PM »
That's a different character. Maltz is the guy that gets mad that Kirk didn't keep the promise to kill him when they commandeered the Klingon ship.

Offline Vivace

« Reply #95 on: January 04, 2011, 09:55:38 PM »
Even the subplot with Dumar was horrendous. Again I point to Confused Matthew's review on Star Trek DS9 for Season 7. He nailed everything that was wrong with that season. Everything. Dumar and Dukat were my all time favorite characters on the show and I almost imploded from sheer rage when I saw what they did to these characters in Season 7.

However I do disagree a bit with CMs take on Vic. I did enjoy Vic. I thought he had an interesting premise however I do agree that replace Quark's with Vic's was a bad move.

Online Adami

« Reply #96 on: January 04, 2011, 09:58:40 PM »
Even the subplot with Dumar was horrendous. Again I point to Confused Matthew's review on Star Trek DS9 for Season 7. He nailed everything that was wrong with that season. Everything. Dumar and Dukat were my all time favorite characters on the show and I almost imploded from sheer rage when I saw what they did to these characters in Season 7.

However I do disagree a bit with CMs take on Vic. I did enjoy Vic. I thought he had an interesting premise however I do agree that replace Quark's with Vic's was a bad move.

Dumar was great. Dukat just led him there, while his own devil thing wasn't great. But at least it gave Lois Fletcher something to do other than being a cunt to Kira.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #97 on: January 04, 2011, 10:10:36 PM »

Dumar was great. Dukat just led him there, while his own devil thing wasn't great. But at least it gave Lois Fletcher something to do other than being a cunt to Kira.

I thought Damar was a pretty uninteresting lackey tbh until that final arc, only to be killed off shortly thereafter.

Online Adami

« Reply #98 on: January 04, 2011, 10:12:24 PM »
He WAS an uniteresting lacky for a while, then he became a great character. His role with the dominion was great, him murdering Dukats daughter, him becoming a freedom fighter. The whole progression was brilliant.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #99 on: January 04, 2011, 10:17:30 PM »
FINALLY a Star Trek thread.  I'm divided pretty evenly between the two camps, but I think I'm more familiar with Star Wars than Star Trek.  TOS is the best them.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Online Adami

« Reply #100 on: January 04, 2011, 10:20:02 PM »
FINALLY a Star Trek thread.  I'm divided pretty evenly between the two camps, but I think I'm more familiar with Star Wars than Star Trek.  TOS is the best them.

Get the hell out of here.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #101 on: January 04, 2011, 10:22:22 PM »
I agree with Adami.  Once they decided to make Damar an actual character instead of a lackey he was great.  I thought he was a lot more interesting than Dukat. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

« Reply #102 on: January 04, 2011, 10:23:21 PM »
I agree with Adami.  Once they decided to make Damar an actual character instead of a lackey he was great.  I thought he was a lot more interesting than Dukat. 

Dukat has about 100 times more charisma than Dumar ever could. But they kind of ruined his character by never really knowing where they were taking him.

But until he became a cult leader, he was amazing too.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #103 on: January 04, 2011, 10:26:42 PM »

Get the hell out of here.

Darmok and Jelad at Tenagra!
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #104 on: January 04, 2011, 10:37:32 PM »
Darmok, on the ocean