Author Topic: All Star Trek Discussion Thread ("Into Darkness" trailer released)  (Read 430120 times)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: All Star Trek Discussion Thread
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2010, 01:35:57 PM »
Why do you hate white people?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2010, 01:40:02 PM »
I own TNG, DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise complete series on DVD.  I've watched the first three, and I'm halfway through season 1 of Enterprise.  When I'm done with Enterprise I'll try to find good deals on ToS and the movies I don't own.

and to echo what El Barto said, In The Pale Moonlight was one of the best episodes of any series.

...and Sub Rosa was about as low as any of the series went.  I think you need to make a drinking game out of it to make it tolerable.

Offline Adami

« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2010, 01:43:36 PM »
Earlier this year I watched every episode (almost) of TNG, DS9, Voyager and Enterprise.

I skipped Sub Rosa. Yea, I watched the entire first season of TNG and I had to skip Sub Rosa. I would rather watch Wesley build a deflector array out of a toy than watch an alien who lives in a lamp.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2010, 01:46:49 PM »
Yeah as good as TNG got after a couple of seasons that first season was brutal.

Offline Adami

« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2010, 01:51:54 PM »
Also, I'd like to appreciate a few specific characters that weren't the main crew.....in no order.

1. Q. Seriously, everything that man did was brilliant. Greatest alien ever? Yes. Still curious what he was trying to tell Picard at the end of All Good Things....

2. O'Brien. Best human character. Gotta love a charcter who went from being a background person to a main character. And I plan on naming my eventual son after him.

3. Jeffrey Combs. Not a character, but it's faster and easier to name the actor rather than every character he played because they were all amazing.

4. L'waxana (or however it's spelled). No explanaiton needed.

5. Species 8472. They didn't let this species live up to their full potential, probably because they realized they created the most intense species ever who could easily take out the entire federation if they had wanted to.

Feel free to add more, I'm sure there's tons. But don't list Picard and Data or the main important people.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2010, 01:54:35 PM »
Hell yeah I'm a big Star Trek rube. :hat I love the first 3 series with DS9 being one of my all-time favorite shows, that show had some great writing and the best cast of Trek. I got bored of Enterprise early but it did get better the last two seasons. Besides the Doctor Voyage only had a few good eps here and there.

Voyager suffered from having a really boring and lame cast. They had the doctor, who pretty much ran the show, and neelix was cool. But the rest were just ...........meh.
The direction the show took really hurt the characters from coming into their own, though.  The first episode was really good, but after that the whole stranded enemies forced together to survive premise up and vanished.  They could have developed a more unique identity if the show hadn't just turned into TNG v2.

Offline Adami

« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2010, 01:55:44 PM »
Or if the characters had ANY depth.

It's sad when a hologram has more depth than a person.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2010, 01:57:52 PM »
Shran was probably the only redeeming aspect of Enterprise.  

Having disposable Weyouns was a great gimmick.  
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2010, 01:58:39 PM »

Having disposable Weyouns was a great gimmick.  

The third season rocked, stop bashing the entire show based off a bad season or two. Every show had those. I have no idea why enterprise gets singled out for it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2010, 02:07:45 PM »
Or if the characters had ANY depth.

It's sad when a hologram has more depth than a person.
The characters were fine in the beginning for molding into an interesting lot, the show's direction just wasn't that character driven.  Shame really, of all the Star Trek series this show probably had the best premise and most potential for a great set of characters due to what should have been the sheer stress of their situation.

Definitely the most interesting part of the first half of Enterprise.  I always wished they had more going on with the Andorans in the first two seasons.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2010, 02:09:44 PM »
Favorite alien species...the Ferengi.  Not because they were particularly likable, or honorable...they always just made good episodes.

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2010, 02:18:15 PM »
I was never a big fan of the Ferengi. They'd frustrate me to no end, but unfortunately, Picard never blew enough of them to bits for my satisfaction. My favorite alien race was the Cardassians. Cold, calculating, and brutal.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2010, 02:20:56 PM »
Picard never blew enough of anything to bits for my liking. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2010, 02:27:04 PM »
I would let Picard blow me to bits.

Offline Adami

« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2010, 02:28:28 PM »
You know what I never really thought about? (With a few exceptions in TNG...or maybe just 1) every episode of every Star Trek show takes place in the Milkey Way Galaxy.

Then I look at Stargate where there are multiple galaxies shown.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2010, 02:42:55 PM »
Hell yeah I'm a big Star Trek rube. :hat I love the first 3 series with DS9 being one of my all-time favorite shows, that show had some great writing and the best cast of Trek. I got bored of Enterprise early but it did get better the last two seasons. Besides the Doctor Voyage only had a few good eps here and there.

Voyager suffered from having a really boring and lame cast. They had the doctor, who pretty much ran the show, and neelix was cool. But the rest were just ...........meh.

I said it before and I'll say it again, Neelix is the Jar Jar Binks of ST.

He was such an annoying character and I would cringe whenever he got some serious screen time.

As for the doctor, he was brilliant.

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2010, 02:46:53 PM »

Offline Adami

« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2010, 02:59:28 PM »

I said it before and I'll say it again, Neelix is the Jar Jar Binks of ST.

He was such an annoying character and I would cringe whenever he got some serious screen time.

As for the doctor, he was brilliant.

Ok, he was a bit overly cheery at times, but Jar Jar? That's just rude. He had some amazing episodes.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2010, 06:50:54 AM »
Also, I'd like to appreciate a few specific characters that weren't the main crew.....in no order.

1. Q. Seriously, everything that man did was brilliant. Greatest alien ever? Yes. Still curious what he was trying to tell Picard at the end of All Good Things....

2. O'Brien. Best human character. Gotta love a charcter who went from being a background person to a main character. And I plan on naming my eventual son after him.

3. Jeffrey Combs. Not a character, but it's faster and easier to name the actor rather than every character he played because they were all amazing.

4. L'waxana (or however it's spelled). No explanaiton needed.

5. Species 8472. They didn't let this species live up to their full potential, probably because they realized they created the most intense species ever who could easily take out the entire federation if they had wanted to.

Feel free to add more, I'm sure there's tons. But don't list Picard and Data or the main important people.

I'd add Lt Barclay to the list.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2010, 06:51:59 AM »
I own TNG, DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise complete series on DVD.  I've watched the first three, and I'm halfway through season 1 of Enterprise.  When I'm done with Enterprise I'll try to find good deals on ToS and the movies I don't own.

and to echo what El Barto said, In The Pale Moonlight was one of the best episodes of any series.

...and Sub Rosa was about as low as any of the series went.  I think you need to make a drinking game out of it to make it tolerable.

Yeah, there's a great write-up of Sub Rosa at The Agony Booth.

Offline SixDegrees

« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2010, 08:28:35 AM »
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 03:18:59 AM by SixDegrees »

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2010, 08:35:38 AM »
might I suggest a poll in the poll section or perhaps multiple polls.......favorite show, favorite character, favorite episode etc etc
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2010, 09:03:51 AM »
might I suggest a poll in the poll section or perhaps multiple polls.......favorite show, favorite character, favorite episode etc etc

I'd be down for that.

Need someone to set it up, I'd do it but I'm leaving to Canada for a few weeks with limited internet connection.

Offline Vivace

« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2010, 09:42:15 AM »
Earlier this year I watched every episode (almost) of TNG, DS9, Voyager and Enterprise.

I skipped Sub Rosa. Yea, I watched the entire first season of TNG and I had to skip Sub Rosa. I would rather watch Wesley build a deflector array out of a toy than watch an alien who lives in a lamp.

In watching TNG there are two episodes I tend to skip, Sub Rosa as you mentioned and Shades of Grey which is nothing more than a clip show and not worth watching. I agree, that these are by far the worst two episodes of the whole series.
"What kind of Jedis are these? Guardians of peace and justice my ass!"

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2010, 09:48:48 AM »
You know, I just looked up what caused that horrendous episode. Apparently it was because of the 1988 Writers Guild's strike; they needed one more episode for the season and thus constructed it from old footage.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #60 on: December 22, 2010, 09:54:20 AM »

In watching TNG there are two episodes I tend to skip, Sub Rosa as you mentioned and Shades of Grey which is nothing more than a clip show and not worth watching. I agree, that these are by far the worst two episodes of the whole series.

Shades of Grey was on TV here last week :lol

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #61 on: December 22, 2010, 10:13:33 AM »

I'd be down for that.

Need someone to set it up, I'd do it but I'm leaving to Canada for a few weeks with limited internet connection.

YAY canada!!!
what part?

I suck at setting up polls...but it is without a doubt the biggest NEW PART of the forum that I've been contributing to over this past year. I know it's not "new" but it's new that I'm going there and voting on stuff. I just can't seem to get rid of PT in KevShmev's band poll..fuck I've been voting for that pile of crap for a few weeks now and they just wont go!

carry on

Mr.Scott!!!
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: December 22, 2010, 11:36:06 AM »

I'd be down for that.

YAY canada!!!
what part?

I suck at setting up polls...but it is without a doubt the biggest NEW PART of the forum that I've been contributing to over this past year. I know it's not "new" but it's new that I'm going there and voting on stuff. I just can't seem to get rid of PT in KevShmev's band poll..fuck I've been voting for that pile of crap for a few weeks now and they just wont go!

carry on

Mr.Scott!!!

I'm going to Markham. My buddy is there and I'm staying with him and his family. I'll be spending time also at there cottage which is in Newmarket IIRC.

Offline Vivace

« Reply #63 on: December 22, 2010, 04:06:06 PM »
Interesting questions that I came up with while watching all the TOS movies from Motion Picture to VI (skipping Final Frontier)

a few spoilers below.

1) It always struck me odd that in Star Trek III the boarding Klingons never put 2 and 2 together for a countdown on a ship when they couldn't find anyone. The movie never set up the fact that they were stupid or even incompetent. In fact the movie set up that crew as well disciplined. Well except for the tart who accidently blew up the science vessel when he was supposed to only disable it.

2) In Star Trek II it was established that Spock was NOT the programmer for the Kobiashe Maroo scenario and in fact that Spock was rather interested (as a Vulcan would be) with Kirk's rather unconventional solution. In the new movie it is never established that Spock's timeline ever changed and especially given that we are to assume that certain events "would" change especially with Kirk's timeline, but not necessarly Spock's timeline. In the end, Spock is now the original programmer of the scenerio and now detests Kirk's solution to the point where he thinks Kirk should be expelled. I found that rather interesting.

3) Whatever happened to Maltz from Star Trek III? It is never established in the end nor in Star Trek IV.

4) In the end of Star Trek IV it is obvious that Spock does not want to go into the water when Kirk is trying to coax him in. This goes unanswered. It cannot be because he is afraid of water or cannot swim as this is proved false when he dives into the whale tank to mind meld with the Whale. So this reaction at the end goes unanswered.

5) It is rather strange in Star Trek VI for Varalis (the Vulcan pilot) to tell the crew to sabatoge the ship as to not return to space dock. As Spock remarked later, if they did return, the evidence can therefore be dumped and they will never know the culprit. Since she is in fact part of the guilty party one would think she would want to return to space dock thus should not have offered the suggestion in the first place.
"What kind of Jedis are these? Guardians of peace and justice my ass!"

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #64 on: December 22, 2010, 07:29:17 PM »
1.  The Klingons probably assumed the crew were hiding.  They were expecting an ambush.
2.  The movie does not follow the same rules.  Different universe.  (Different timeline, actually)
3.  I think Kirk kicked him off of that ledge on the Genesis planet.  I HAVE HAD...ENOUGH...OF...YOU!
4.  Vulcans don't consider frolicking in the San Francisco Bay to be a worthwhile endeavor. 
5.  There were too many plot holes with that chick to count.  Good movie, but they dropped the ball with her. 
E.F. Benson

Offline 5

• Serial thread killer
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #65 on: December 23, 2010, 01:59:43 PM »
DS9 is THE shit.

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #66 on: December 23, 2010, 03:25:46 PM »
Thought it was a shame some of the Enterprise cast perhaps didn't get to develop their characters more. I keep forgetting some of them e.g. Mayweather, Malcolm, Hoshi.

Also saw some Quantum Leap recently and it didn't seem to have aged much at all. I think Bakula is a good actor.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #67 on: December 24, 2010, 05:32:42 AM »
I've got to say my favorite episode of DS9 is Far Beyond the Stars.  Sisko in his mind goes back to the 50's as a comic bok writer who can't publish his comic book story because of his race was a top notch episode.

That and the Softball episode are my favs.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: December 24, 2010, 09:13:36 AM »
DS9 is THE shit.

I decided today I'd re-watch some of my favorite episodes of DS9, it is my favorite series.

I've got to say my favorite episode of DS9 is Far Beyond the Stars.  Sisko in his mind goes back to the 50's as a comic bok writer who can't publish his comic book story because of his race was a top notch episode.

agreed, it's a great episode.

Offline 5

• Serial thread killer
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #69 on: December 24, 2010, 11:54:50 AM »

This. And In The Pale Moonlight - a very un-treky episode, but one of the best.