Author Topic: All Star Trek Discussion Thread ("Into Darkness" trailer released)  (Read 430212 times)

Offline ddtonfire

Re: All Star Trek Discussion Thread
« Reply #140 on: January 08, 2011, 10:30:14 AM »
Yeah, TNG did seem to be at the beginning of several young actors' and actresses' careers.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #141 on: June 18, 2011, 02:11:50 PM »
Thought this was amusing.

Running tally of people killed by Picard, Cisko and Worf

I still think Worf was a pussy for most of TNG, but he could definitely get all berserker on you from time to time. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #142 on: June 18, 2011, 02:26:58 PM »
Thought this was amusing.

Running tally of people killed by Picard, Cisko and Worf

I still think Worf was a pussy for most of TNG, but he could definitely get all berserker on you from time to time. 

They counted holograms as kills?

Really?!?!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #143 on: June 18, 2011, 02:47:54 PM »
I was just clicking through the video, didn't they miss Picard killing the two Borg on the holodeck (in First Contact)?

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online Adami

« Reply #144 on: June 18, 2011, 02:49:19 PM »
I was just clicking through the video, didn't they miss Picard killing the two Borg on the holodeck (in First Contact)?

rumborak

Nope it's in there.

I'm also a little torn on whether or not Riker telling Worf to fire and blowing up a ship really counts as a kill for Worf.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #145 on: June 18, 2011, 03:30:17 PM »

rumborak

Nope it's in there.

I'm also a little torn on whether or not Riker telling Worf to fire and blowing up a ship really counts as a kill for Worf.

I'd call it a kill for Riker.  Plus,  Worf's body count would be in the 100k+ range given all the borg he's blown up. 

As for holodeck kills, I'd consider the context.  Worf's training holograms shouldn't count, but there are probably instances where others should. 

It always amuses me what a kill-crazy lunatic Picard is in the movies.  I'd also be quite interested in what Kirk's number would look like. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

« Reply #146 on: June 18, 2011, 03:31:30 PM »
Instead of counting the number of people kirk killed, they should count the number of red shirts that kirk sent to their deaths.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #147 on: June 18, 2011, 04:09:34 PM »
Instead of counting the number of people kirk killed, they should count the number of red shirts that kirk sent to their deaths.
43, accounting for 73% of the fatalities over the 5 year mission. 

Here's an interesting excerpt from the analysis:

Q: What factors could increase/decrease the survival rate of red-shirted crewmen?

Besides not getting involved in fights, which usually proved fatal, the crewmen could avoid beaming down to the planet's surface, which is inherent to their end. However, that could result in a court-martial for failure to obey orders.

Besides not beaming down, another factor that showed to increase the survival rate of the red-shirts was the nature of the relationship between the alien life and captain Kirk. When Captain Kirk meets an alien woman and "makes contact" the survival rate of the red-shirted crewmen increases by 84%. In fact, out of Captain Kirks' 24 "relationships" there were only three instances of red-shirt vaporization.

The caveat to this is when Captain Kirk not only meets the local alien women, but also starts a fight among alien locals. The combination of these events has led to the elimination of 4 crewmembers (3 red-shirts).

Here are the statistics:

Red Shirt Death episodes = 18
Episodes with fights = 55
Probability of a fight breaking out = 70%
Kirk "conquest" episodes = 24
Kirk "conquest" + fights = 16
Kirk "conquest" + red shirt casualty= 4
Red shirt death + fight + Kirk "conquest" = 3

And the data trends:

Probability of a red-shirt casualty= 53%
14% of fights ended in a fatality (with a 72% chance the fatality wore a red shirt)
Probability of a red-shirt "incident" when Kirk has a "conquest" = 12%

The red-shirt survival rate is slightly higher when Kirk meets women than when a fight breaks out. This trend necessitates the question: How often did Captain Kirk "meet" women? In 30% of the missions.

As the data shows, Captain Kirk "making contact" with alien women has an impact on the crew's survival. The red-shirt death rate is higher when a fight breaks out than when Kirk meets a woman and a fight breaks out. Yet the analysis shows that meeting Kirk meeting women only happens in 30% of the missions.
Conclusion: We can reliably improve the survivability of the red-shirted crewmen by only exploring peaceful, female-only planets (android and alien females included).

https://www.lyris.com/web-analytics/182-Analytics-According-to-Captain-Kirk
E.F. Benson

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #148 on: June 18, 2011, 09:57:43 PM »
I love that someone has taken the time to compile all that information.  Actually I'm sure many, many people have taken the time to compile that information.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #149 on: June 20, 2011, 12:03:26 PM »
Watching that kill count video has me wanting to watch DS:9 in its entirety again.

Online Adami

« Reply #150 on: June 20, 2011, 12:05:44 PM »
Watching that kill count video has me wanting to watch DS:9 in its entirety again.

Did that last year, but I skipped the first season since it's pretty horrible.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #151 on: June 20, 2011, 02:14:12 PM »
When I first got my DVR Spike started playing DS9 in the summer and My wife and I watched it from beginning to end.  It's amazing how much you forget in such a short time.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #152 on: June 20, 2011, 02:34:57 PM »
Did that last year, but I skipped the first season since it's pretty horrible.
They tried to stuff TNG into it too much, for one thing, but It has its share of moments.  I tend to think the end of the first season is where the show really started to get some bearings of its own.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: June 20, 2011, 02:50:20 PM »
I got the DVD collection (only need TOS).  I'll probably just jump in at season 6.  Got to many other things going on.

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #154 on: June 20, 2011, 04:10:48 PM »
I watched "In the Pale Moonlight" the other day. So good.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: June 20, 2011, 10:04:30 PM »
Love ST.... not as much as Star Wars....but close.  Big TNG fan, didn't really care for DS9, Voyager would have been fine without listening to Janeways whiney voice.... :lol.  TOS rocked!!  Enterprise was OK.  The movies drug on too much towards the end...UNTIL...this last one.  HOLY SHIT did it kick ass!!!! :metal

Online Adami

« Reply #156 on: June 20, 2011, 10:07:00 PM »
Love ST.... not as much as Star Wars....but close.  Big TNG fan, didn't really care for DS9, Voyager would have been fine without listening to Janeways whiney voice.... :lolTOS rocked!!  Enterprise was OK.  The movies drug on too much towards the end...UNTIL...this last one.  HOLY SHIT did it kick ass!!!! :metal

The bolded parts are correct.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: June 20, 2011, 10:18:13 PM »

The bolded parts are correct.

Well done Senor  :tup

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #158 on: June 21, 2011, 12:59:31 AM »
...didn't really care for DS9...

??? ??? ??? Does not compute.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: June 21, 2011, 05:58:49 AM »
...didn't really care for DS9...

??? ??? ??? Does not compute.

Some charachters and story themes I just disliked.  Towards the end when there were the big battle sequences with the Dominion, it got kinda cool.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #160 on: July 05, 2011, 12:47:16 PM »
I discovered this 2 days ago, it's a full interview with Rick Berman, and he talks about TNG, DS9, Voyager and Enterprise. Really cool, and lots of interesting information (including that Patrick Stewart auditioned for the role with a wig, because Roddenberry didn't want to have a bald captain :lol )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9HcSB9WDTQ

rumborak

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #161 on: July 05, 2011, 01:24:13 PM »
Wouldn't be the first time.

E.F. Benson

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #162 on: July 06, 2011, 09:25:22 PM »
It's like a whole different person!

Online Adami

« Reply #163 on: July 06, 2011, 09:28:49 PM »
It's like a whole different person!

Little known fact, those aren't wigs. Picard just looked at his hair and said "Engage!"
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #164 on: July 06, 2011, 09:32:23 PM »
Man, especially with hair Stewart is one good-looking mofo.

rumborak

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #165 on: July 06, 2011, 09:57:46 PM »
Yeah, it's funny.  After going bald as a teenager he thought he'd never get laid again.  I suspect that's not a problem for him nowadays. 
E.F. Benson

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #166 on: July 07, 2011, 12:14:47 AM »
Are those from televised Shakespeare productions he did?

Offline 5

• Serial thread killer
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #167 on: July 07, 2011, 12:28:41 AM »
The movies drug on too much towards the end... UNTIL...this last one.  HOLY SHIT did it kick ass!!!! :metal

I assume you're speaking of JJ Abrams' reboot of Star Trek. In that case...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 12:34:40 AM by 5 »

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #168 on: July 07, 2011, 01:52:37 AM »
The movies drug on too much towards the end... UNTIL...this last one.  HOLY SHIT did it kick ass!!!! :metal

I assume you're speaking of JJ Abrams' reboot of Star Trek. In that case...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Wrong.

Anyway, I had a thought while watching The Search for Spock last night. If Spock transferred his katra to Bones, why wasn't he just an "empty shell" instead of giving Kirk the emotional "I have been, and always shall be, your friend" speech?
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline 5

• Serial thread killer
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #169 on: July 07, 2011, 01:58:39 AM »
***Star Trek XI spoilers ahead***

I thought the new ST was terrible. Even ignoring the "throwing everything after TOS out of the window," the movie itself was just lots of CG eye-candy with plot holes the size of Jupiter. Not to mention that by destroying Vulcan, they pretty much killed the entire premise and concept behind Spock's character. There was so much nonsense in this movie my head hurts.

EDIT: Also, the ENTIRE foundation of the plot is more ridiculous than all the technobabble in all the series combined. Yeah, stopping a supernova by destroing the sun with a black hole - great, because who needs sunlight to sustain life? Romulus would have been destroyed anyway, which totally undermines the motivation for the villains actions. Suspension of disbelief is awesome, but there comes a point when it just becomes insulting to one's intelligence.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 02:16:17 AM by 5 »

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #170 on: July 07, 2011, 02:38:23 AM »
***Star Trek XI spoilers ahead***

I thought the new ST was terrible. Even ignoring the "throwing everything after TOS out of the window," the movie itself was just lots of CG eye-candy with plot holes the size of Jupiter. Not to mention that by destroying Vulcan, they pretty much killed the entire premise and concept behind Spock's character. There was so much nonsense in this movie my head hurts.

EDIT: Also, the ENTIRE foundation of the plot is more ridiculous than all the technobabble in all the series combined. Yeah, stopping a supernova by destroing the sun with a black hole - great, because who needs sunlight to sustain life? Romulus would have been destroyed anyway, which totally undermines the motivation for the villains actions. Suspension of disbelief is awesome, but there comes a point when it just becomes insulting to one's intelligence.
Like flying around the sun to travel back and forth through time?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomorrow_Is_Yesterday
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_IV:_The_Voyage_Home

If I can watch those and disregard the baloney, I can watch ST XI.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline 5

• Serial thread killer
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #171 on: July 07, 2011, 02:43:38 AM »
Sure, no one says you can't. :) However, the examples you give are also from 1967 and 1986, not 2009. They are also something more than Barbies and Kens in an Apple store. They also make sense IN CONTEXT of the TREK UNIVERSE. ST XI doesn't even make sense in the context of its own world - eg Scotty inventing a way to beam to enterprise which was not just lightyears away, but also travelling at warp speed. If they can do that, why do they even bother with starships in the first place?

Besides, I'm not even a giant TOS fan, I'm much more of a DS9/TNG guy.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 02:58:38 AM by 5 »

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #172 on: July 07, 2011, 05:32:40 AM »
Not to mention that by destroying Vulcan, they pretty much killed the entire premise and concept behind Spock's character.

What do you mean?
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #173 on: July 07, 2011, 07:20:10 AM »
5, it's Sci-Fi dammit!!  Suspend your disbelief!  Also in 2009 we haven't conquered black holes yet either silly.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline 5

• Serial thread killer
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #174 on: July 07, 2011, 07:45:47 AM »
Not to mention that by destroying Vulcan, they pretty much killed the entire premise and concept behind Spock's character.

What do you mean?

The concept behind Spock was that he was a human-Vulcan hybrid, an outsider - fully accepted by neither humans nor Vulcans. By destroying Vulcan and thus making the entire species nearly extinct, hybrids suddenly became an extremely viable option for repopulating the species - therefore eliminating the "outsider" part of Spock.

5, it's Sci-Fi dammit!!  Suspend your disbelief!  Also in 2009 we haven't conquered black holes yet either silly.

I know, and I gladly do it whenever a movie/book/game makes INTERNAL sense. STXI doesn't.