Author Topic: The Oasis Thread.  (Read 21116 times)

Offline Xanthul

Re: The Oasis Thread.
« Reply #105 on: October 15, 2017, 10:16:36 AM »
I've never been a huge fan of Oasis, just liked a few songs here and there but Liam's voice was mostly grating to me. I've just checked a couple of songs on Youtube out of boredom (Wall of Glass and For What It's Worth live at the studio) and I have to say his voice has aged pretty greatly. Maybe those who liked that distinctive edge are disappointed with the new Liam, but to me it's a lot more enjoyable now.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #106 on: October 16, 2017, 09:30:01 AM »
He's a twat (listen to the recent interview with Howard; it was like listening to a conversation with a 17 year old trying to impress a girl in high school) but his voice is magic with Noel's songs. 

Offline dparrott

« Reply #107 on: September 12, 2018, 06:45:07 PM »
Asian remix of Wonderwall:
https://youtu.be/pk5cuDMADrI
I like it.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #108 on: September 22, 2019, 06:39:52 AM »
On 18 February 2019, Liam announced that he had been informed by Noel that the latter would sue him if Liam's new documentary As It Was contained Liam singing Oasis songs. Liam had announced the documentary's release earlier that month.
It never ends will it?  :facepalm:

Listening to Heathen Chemistry, some great songs on that one.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 06:50:28 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #109 on: September 22, 2019, 01:58:46 PM »
On 18 February 2019, Liam announced that he had been informed by Noel that the latter would sue him if Liam's new documentary As It Was contained Liam singing Oasis songs. Liam had announced the documentary's release earlier that month.

Lol wut?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #110 on: September 22, 2019, 02:47:58 PM »

Lol wut?
Haven't heard it before so i'm not sure what the general opinion is but Stop Crying, Songbird and Little by Little are fine songs in my opinion.

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Mladen

« Reply #111 on: September 23, 2019, 02:52:49 AM »
That is a very solid album, especially the first half of it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: September 23, 2019, 05:20:55 AM »

Lol wut?
Haven't heard it before so i'm not sure what the general opinion is but Stop Crying, Songbird and Little by Little are fine songs in my opinion.

No, I was referring to Noel sueing Liam.  :lol  yeah, HC is not that bad.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #113 on: September 23, 2019, 12:18:27 PM »

Lol wut?

No, I was referring to Noel sueing Liam.  :lol  yeah, HC is not that bad.
Oh then yea...I agree. WTF?  :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: September 24, 2019, 07:47:38 AM »
If not mistaken, this is their first year of eligibility for the Rock Hall Of Fame.  They might get in just becuase of Liam and Noel's bickering.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #115 on: February 15, 2022, 03:38:31 AM »
Liam Gallagher - Everything's Electric

Co-written with Dave Grohl. I really like the chorus.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #116 on: July 21, 2022, 04:46:03 PM »
Christ, where does the time go? Oasis are to release some special edition goodies for the 25th anniversary of Be Here Now (I remember its release as if it were yesterday). Here's the 'trailer' for what's available:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yWlSPe7nfE

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: July 22, 2022, 08:49:48 AM »
Christ, where does the time go? Oasis are to release some special edition goodies for the 25th anniversary of Be Here Now (I remember its release as if it were yesterday). Here's the 'trailer' for what's available:

I know it's a coke-fueled mess, but on any given day, my favorite Oasis record.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #118 on: July 22, 2022, 04:08:40 PM »

I went down a Be Here Now rabbit hole last night and apparently it's Liam's favourite Oasis album. Here he gives his customarily eloquent musings on all the records he's been on, and ranks them:

https://www.nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/liam-gallagher-oasis-beady-eye-best-album-2147407

And according to Noel himself, Marilyn Manson is a huge fan of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aqwIJ3e2NY

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: July 22, 2022, 05:07:28 PM »

By far.  I can't believe it was 25 years.  I remember buying the album as a 13 year old, I loved the slightly heavier edge to the whole thing and the songs stack up.  By far their best record IMO.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #120 on: July 27, 2022, 03:46:53 PM »

Yup.  A record as big as the band was.

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #121 on: July 29, 2022, 08:05:37 AM »
I don't think it comes close to their first two albums but there are good things on there. I guess the issue is the people running the show making the decisions were all coked out of their minds and it wasn't the good old 'drugs made it great' either.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #122 on: November 19, 2022, 04:48:22 PM »
The first recorded gig of Oasis from before the release of their first single:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbtDjDAq1vk

This is gold for me. I've told the story before but I saw Oasis from the very beginning, from before even this footage when they played a tiny hall - now the site of a swimming pool - in my home town. Seeing this brought back such vivid memories of the band at that time, when you really felt that you were witnessing something that was about to become huge (in Britain's case, generationally huge). Tiny stage or football stadium, the swagger was always the same. 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: November 21, 2022, 08:35:55 AM »

This is gold for me. I've told the story before but I saw Oasis from the very beginning, from before even this footage when they played a tiny hall - now the site of a swimming pool - in my home town. Seeing this brought back such vivid memories of the band at that time, when you really felt that you were witnessing something that was about to become huge (in Britain's case, generationally huge). Tiny stage or football stadium, the swagger was always the same.

I've heard audio of (parts of) this show.   I don't get jealous or envious of musical things very often, but this is one of them. I've seen both solo, but never saw the band itself.  They remind me of the original Guns'n'Roses in that there's a clear vibe about them where, like you said, you had that feeling of seeing something special.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: November 21, 2022, 05:54:50 PM »

I've heard audio of (parts of) this show.   I don't get jealous or envious of musical things very often, but this is one of them. I've seen both solo, but never saw the band itself.  They remind me of the original Guns'n'Roses in that there's a clear vibe about them where, like you said, you had that feeling of seeing something special.

I saw them in 2007 or 2008.  It was a great show.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #125 on: November 24, 2022, 12:35:48 PM »
I love Liam's voice in the early days.  Shame it went to shit around 2000.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #126 on: February 19, 2023, 04:47:41 PM »
Rehearsing All Around The World in 1992 (i.e before anyone knew who they were) :

https://youtube.com/watch?v=W_z6NtTLeaI

Imagine having a tune like this and you don't get around to recording it until 5 years and 2 albums (plus a tonne of b-sides) later. Speaks to how amazing Noel's golden era of song-writing was.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: February 20, 2023, 06:43:58 AM »
Rehearsing All Around The World in 1992 (i.e before anyone knew who they were) :

https://youtube.com/watch?v=W_z6NtTLeaI

Imagine having a tune like this and you don't get around to recording it until 5 years and 2 albums (plus a tonne of b-sides) later. Speaks to how amazing Noel's golden era of song-writing was.

I know this sounds silly, since we have the music and all, but I miss them. The band, that is.  It had a certain chemistry that the individual members just don't have individually.  :)

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #128 on: February 20, 2023, 07:05:45 AM »
In the early 90's in America you had Pearl Jam vs Nirvana,  here in the UK it was Oasis vs Blur.  Personally (as someone from the UK) I much preferred the whole Seattle Sound over Britpop.  I actually disliked Blur more than Oasis at the time, but I think Blur actually were far more creative and interesting in their later years.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 07:11:35 AM by soupytwist »

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #129 on: February 20, 2023, 07:32:05 AM »
In the early 90's in America you had Pearl Jam vs Nirvana,  here in the UK it was Oasis vs Blur.  Personally (as someone from the UK) I much preferred the whole Seattle Sound over Britpop.  I actually disliked Blur more than Oasis at the time, but I think Blur actually were far more creative and interesting in their later years.

I'm also from the UK but was never massively into either scene at the time, as I was too young. However, my older sister massively was. She was all about Blur and Nirvana out of those 4 bands.

As I got into music I still wasn't particularly I to either scene but would generally pick grunge every time. The last few years though I've started revisiting some of the big bands from the Britpop scene, and I really appreciate them way more now. I would've picked Blur over Oasis years ago but now it's pretty close between the two.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #130 on: February 20, 2023, 07:49:22 AM »

I'm also from the UK but was never massively into either scene at the time, as I was too young. However, my older sister massively was. She was all about Blur and Nirvana out of those 4 bands.

As I got into music I still wasn't particularly I to either scene but would generally pick grunge every time. The last few years though I've started revisiting some of the big bands from the Britpop scene, and I really appreciate them way more now. I would've picked Blur over Oasis years ago but now it's pretty close between the two.

Manic Street Preachers are the only band classed as Britpop that I could honest say I really like (Mansun were decent too).

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: February 20, 2023, 07:49:49 AM »
In the early 90's in America you had Pearl Jam vs Nirvana,  here in the UK it was Oasis vs Blur.  Personally (as someone from the UK) I much preferred the whole Seattle Sound over Britpop.  I actually disliked Blur more than Oasis at the time, but I think Blur actually were far more creative and interesting in their later years - 'The sound of football hooliganism' someone once wrote about Oasis and that's fair IMO.

HAHAHAHA, as someone in the US, I much preferred the Britpop sound!  I wasn't (and still aren't) a real fan of Blur, but I lean toward the poppier side of things, so in my view, Oasis is better than anything that came out of Seattle by a long shot.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #132 on: February 20, 2023, 08:43:31 AM »
I saw Pearl Jam in The Manchester Evening News arena (MEN) back in 2000.  Eddie between songs mentioned this being the home of Oasis (manchester) and there was a mixed response, I think he was surprised (or playing on it) and got the crowd to either cheer or boo for Oasis, I think the Boo's rang louder, so Eddie turned to the band as says 'Ok we better scrub Wonderwall from this setlist'.  ;D 

Offline dparrott

« Reply #133 on: February 22, 2023, 09:54:52 AM »
Wow, AATW is that old?  huh.

I'm in the US and grunge was cool, but I LOOOOOVED the britpop era.  So much fun and life to that music.  Blur are still my favorite band.  Oasis was my 2nd favorite during the "britpop war".   I still listen to old britpop more than most other genres.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #134 on: February 22, 2023, 10:58:16 AM »
I got into a bunch of the britpop (or britpop adjacent) bands after I got into Oasis and there's just a lot of great stuff there. The first two Oasis albums are amazing but I must admit that their output after that started declining for me and the first two albums and Masterplan (the b-sides collection) are really all I need from them. I sometimes spin Be Here Now which I think is fine (but a bit bloated and full of cocaine) and I sometimes even get to Standing on the Shoulders of Giants but then I think to myself "Nah I'm good". Oasis had a particular sound and while some bands can keep the same sound and formula and still make amazing albums, for me even the better albums they put out in the 00s suffer from being like the first two albums but just not as good. (IMO at least).

Blur is probably my favorite out of the bunch because they're so damn versatile. The early stuff has a fun youthful vibe to it, but I like how they started evolving their sound as well. Experimenting and doing different things, adding electronic soundscapes into the mix. Radiohead get a lot of praise for the shift from OK Computer to Kid A/Amnesiac, and deservedly so, but Blur kinda did it first. While it could be argued that Blur didn't make an album as good as Morning Glory (Parklife and 13 gets the closest for me) I think what Blur has going for them is that they also never made a bad album, in my opinion. Even their last two albums are albums I would rather revisit than some of the later Oasis ones.

Also really like Suede. Their classic albums hold up and their most recent ones are actually really good in my opinion. The last 3 or 4 albums have all been great. They also fall a bit more on the one dimensional side (like Oasis) where I think you will either like them or you won't, unlike Blur where you might like album X but not album Y.

The Verve gets forgotten and they only made 3 albums (before a 4th reunion one) but all 3 are fantastic in my opinion. Urban Hymns gets the focus because it has Bittersweet Symphony, but it also has other fantastic rockers like The Rolling People and Come On. Their debut is a fantastic Shoegaze/Dream pop infused album and the middle album kinda has elements from both.

Pulp is the one I guess I wish I got into more because they just never clicked with me. I enjoyed some of their classic albums but on a scale of britpop enjoyment I still go back for some of the weaker albums from the other bands more often.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #135 on: April 14, 2023, 11:03:38 AM »
AIsis: new music with Liam AI vocals.  Pretty good.  :lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whB21dr2Hlc

Offline dparrott

« Reply #136 on: May 12, 2023, 11:52:25 AM »
George Harrison/Beatles AI cover of Don't Look Back In Anger  :lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HF48vIoYrBI

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: May 13, 2023, 09:56:41 AM »
Every single time there's a new post in this thread, I click, hoping beyond hope, that they've decided to give it one more whirl.   

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #138 on: June 15, 2023, 06:23:14 PM »
Loved this. This is how you mess up a solo when playing live; with a great big smile on your face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnyRGcd3G8c

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: June 16, 2023, 07:00:57 AM »
Loved this. This is how you mess up a solo when playing live; with a great big smile on your face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnyRGcd3G8c

Haha, that was great.   

What do you make of the (relative) uptick on "Oasis" chatter?  Liam's "It's happening".  Mancunian cheek?   Or something of substance?  Noel has a new album coming out, so the timing isn't really optimal for a huge Oasis announcement.