Author Topic: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)  (Read 310011 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)
« Reply #315 on: April 06, 2017, 08:32:38 AM »
I was painting this weekend and I was just putting on music that struck me - some Flying Colors, some Neal Morse, some Transatlantic - and it dawned on me that I could just make a "Portnoy Playlist" and be done with it.  Blackmore is by far my favorite musician and has been since 1982 or so, but I think I probably listen to more "Portnoy" than any musician in my collection (and I have about 1,500 CDs).
I would classify that list as Neal Morse, not Mike Portnoy.

But that's just me.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #316 on: April 06, 2017, 08:47:36 AM »
Well, to be fair, Portnoy has probably done more albums than just about any other musician in your (or anybody's) collection.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #317 on: April 06, 2017, 08:50:29 AM »
Well it sounds like The Winery Dogs is on hold for a couple of years. I'm okay with that as I much prefer Flying Color and Neal Morse.

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/richie-kotzen-on-the-winery-dogs-future-i-dont-foresee-anything-happening-for-a-couple-of-years/
Opposite for me. FC never did anything for me, and they're not going to tour down here. While WD is hit or miss, they have enough very good music to put on one helluva good show which they seem to bring to Dallas twice per tour. I'll miss seeing them.

With that said, after the last show down here (end of the last tour) I kind of started to think Kotzen probably isn't going to be a longterm thing, so I'm not hugely surprised.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #318 on: April 08, 2017, 09:00:11 AM »
Just watched a pretty interesting interview with MP done by the official DT fan club.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqdtOmVNraw
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #319 on: April 08, 2017, 09:05:04 AM »
I'll add that to my Watch Later pile. Thanks for the link.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #320 on: June 22, 2018, 08:47:28 AM »
New Metal Allegiance video and album announcement!   That lineup of singers is AMAZING, and the song is better than anything on the debut.

Mother of Sin (featuring Bobby Blitz  :metal):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxDy11uRxNc

Check out the new music video for the first single “Mother of Sin” from the upcoming Metal Allegiance album entitled “Volume II: Power Drunk Majesty”. This song features Bobby Blitz on vocals with Alex Skolnick & Andreas Kisser on guitars, Mark Menghi on bass and Mike Portnoy on drums!

The new METAL ALLEGIANCE album “Volume II: Power Drunk Majesty” will be out September 7th, 2018 via Nuclear Blast Entertainment. Order your copy of Volume II - Power Drunk Majesty, here: nuclearblast.com/metalallegiance2-pdm

Volume II - Power Drunk Majesty was produced by Mark Menghi and Alex Skolnick while Mark Lewis of MRL Studios handled the mixing and mastering. The cover artwork was created by renowned artist Marcelo Vasco (SLAYER, MACHINE HEAD, SOULFLY, HATEBREED) and Rafael Tavares.

Below is the Track list:
 1. The Accuser (feat. Trevor Strnad)
 2. Bound by Silence (feat. John Bush)
 3. Mother of Sin (feat. Bobby Blitz)
 4. Terminal Illusion (feat. Mark Tornillo)
 5. King with a Paper Crown (feat. Johan Hegg)
 6. Voodoo of the Godsend (feat. Max Cavalera)
 7. Liars & Thieves (feat. Troy Sanders)
 8. Impulse Control (feat. Mark Osegueda)
 9. Power Drunk Majesty (Part I) (feat. Mark Osegueda)
10. Power Drunk Majesty (Part II) (feat. Floor Jansen)

ORDER AT
 Nuclear Blast: nuclearblast.com/metalallegiance2-pdm
 iTunes: https://nblast.de/MetalAllegiance2PDMIT
 Amazon Music: https://nblast.de/MetalAllegiance2PDMAZ
 Google Play: https://nblast.de/MetalAllegiance2PDMGP

LISTEN AT:
 Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/track/5cfZlXJmo1yJGepkwQTlGi
 Apple Music: https://nblast.de/MetalAllegiance2PDMAM
 Deezer: https://www.deezer.com/en/artist/8477822

« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 09:04:11 AM by Grappler »

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #321 on: June 22, 2018, 08:56:19 AM »
I think I’ve heard of like 2 of those singers.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Grappler

« Reply #322 on: June 22, 2018, 09:05:39 AM »

Trevor Strnad - the Black Dahlia Murder
John Bush - Armored Saint, Anthrax
Bobby Blitz - Overkill
Mark Tornillo - Accept
Johan Hegg - Amon Amarth
Max Cavalera - Sepultura, Soulfly, Cavalera Conspiracy
Troy Sanders - Mastodon
Mark Osegueda - Death Angel
Floor Jansen - Nightwish

My original post missed the song with Floor, which I just added in.  I'm glad that they got a lot of different singers this time and didn't reuse too many from the first album (Mark, Troy).  Also FLOOR!   :metal

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #323 on: June 22, 2018, 09:07:52 AM »
Cavalera and Jansen by any chance?

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Adami

« Reply #324 on: June 22, 2018, 09:24:54 AM »
Cavalera and Jansen by any chance?

And Blitz. Honestly didn’t see Jansen.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #325 on: June 22, 2018, 09:52:16 AM »
Song was Rockin....I liked it. Interested in this one more than the first, which I have yet to listen to.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #326 on: June 22, 2018, 09:53:38 AM »
Didn't enjoy that song. Not very good. Hopefully the rest of the album has some stronger material, but I think I played the first one maybe two times total. The one song I remember enjoying most was Can't Kill The Devil, which is essentially a Testament song, so I hope there's more of that kind of metal. Can't stand the singer here. Maybe there's too many cooks in the kitchen?

EDIT: Just noticed Johan, Floor, and Mark on the album. That's a recipe for me enjoying this album more than the first... hope one of their songs is released before the album  :metal
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #327 on: June 22, 2018, 09:57:39 AM »
On a totally unrelated note, did anyone check Mike's message on FB about a fan walking to his door and ringing the bell asking to talk to him to his wife? geez, surely he just wanted to meet his hero and had no bad intent but the complete lack of tact and common decency of some people is staggering.

I wouldn't walk to the house of anyone of my favorite musicians should I know where they live. Being so naive to the point of doing that and thinking to be welcomed is.... dunno. People are weird.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Art

« Reply #328 on: June 22, 2018, 10:20:57 AM »
I wanna hear the song with John Bush. The rest, i can take or leave...

Offline Grappler

« Reply #329 on: June 22, 2018, 10:30:38 AM »

They played it live in January:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9FJ93vLaQA.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #330 on: June 22, 2018, 12:16:34 PM »
On a totally unrelated note, did anyone check Mike's message on FB about a fan walking to his door and ringing the bell asking to talk to him to his wife? geez, surely he just wanted to meet his hero and had no bad intent but the complete lack of tact and common decency of some people is staggering.

I wouldn't walk to the house of anyone of my favorite musicians should I know where they live. Being so naive to the point of doing that and thinking to be welcomed is.... dunno. People are weird.
That's creepy as hell...

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #331 on: June 22, 2018, 12:20:13 PM »

I saw that. I had to assume that perhaps it was a cultural difference. The guy was from Brazil I think?  Either that or just a creeper.... but yeah... bad form.

Offline Art

« Reply #332 on: June 22, 2018, 12:25:07 PM »

They played it live in January:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9FJ93vLaQA.

Cool! Thanks! :tup

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #333 on: June 22, 2018, 03:44:19 PM »

I saw that. I had to assume that perhaps it was a cultural difference. The guy was from Brazil I think?  Either that or just a creeper.... but yeah... bad form.

The fan was actually from Ecuador. (Just saying for the sake of correctness.)
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #334 on: June 22, 2018, 04:46:29 PM »

The fan was actually from Ecuador. (Just saying for the sake of correctness.)

Thanks. I was going to ask Mindflux to leave us poor Brazilians out of this. But you never know... Creepers can come from anywhere...  :biggrin:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #335 on: June 22, 2018, 06:30:29 PM »
That kind of behavior is creepy, no matter where you are from.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #336 on: June 22, 2018, 10:07:40 PM »
In this day and age I am honestly surprised we don't hear more stories like that.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #337 on: June 25, 2018, 12:58:06 PM »

Trevor Strnad - the Black Dahlia Murder
John Bush - Armored Saint, Anthrax
Bobby Blitz - Overkill
Mark Tornillo - Accept
Johan Hegg - Amon Amarth
Max Cavalera - Sepultura, Soulfly, Cavalera Conspiracy
Troy Sanders - Mastodon
Mark Osegueda - Death Angel
Floor Jansen - Nightwish

Thanks for the additional info.!  :tup

With that clarification:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #338 on: August 28, 2018, 03:38:30 PM »
Rumors are circulating that Ellefson and Skolnik are out of Metal Allegiance

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #339 on: August 28, 2018, 03:50:19 PM »

Can I ask where you're hearing that? I saw both of them promoting the new album fairly recently. Was looking forward to the release party gig in NYC too.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #340 on: August 28, 2018, 04:19:22 PM »

Can I ask where you're hearing that? I saw both of them promoting the new album fairly recently. Was looking forward to the release party gig in NYC too.

A friend told me via FB he read in a Brazilian site that MA had a show booked in Brazil and that it got canceled, and that the reason might be that Alex and David opted out. My friend hasn’t sent me the article where he read it yet. That’s why I said “rumors”. What I don’t get is, if this is true it should be in all music news site, right?
Let’s see

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #342 on: August 28, 2018, 04:26:44 PM »
If it was true, it would be in English.

:neverusethis:

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #343 on: August 28, 2018, 05:30:32 PM »
I went ahead and asked MP about it. Let’s see if he replies

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #344 on: August 28, 2018, 05:31:15 PM »
Could be true. Skolnick just announded his new trio album and tour. Supposedly, Megadeth is also in the writing stages of a new album due next year.

I always thought of MA more of like a collabration between metal peeps and not an official band.

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #345 on: August 29, 2018, 11:59:26 AM »
Anyways, they still have Mark Menghi as a founder member and bassist, and tons of other collaborating guitarists.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #346 on: August 29, 2018, 02:13:31 PM »
Could be true. Skolnick just announded his new trio album and tour. Supposedly, Megadeth is also in the writing stages of a new album due next year.

I always thought of MA more of like a collabration between metal peeps and not an official band.

Me as well. To be honest, I haven't been overly impressed with MA, and not sure why they did albums. I mean, as a live act once in a blue moon, sure. But as a recording entity? Pass...

To those that know MP the best, do you ever think the guy will ever settle down, musically? I mean, he was with DT for so long, and did side projects. Now these side projects are his day job. And lets be frank -- none of them will ever be successful the way DT was. Will he ever change his tune, and perhaps join a band that is respected if he is given enough control in that band to make it his "home?"

Or will he continue to be a nomad until the end?

I had high hopes for the Sons of Apollo band. And thought the live show was exciting. But I don't think the tour actually sold as many tickets as the members of the audience would indicate, and the record did nothing. I have to believe that Mike wants back on a bigger stage at some point...

Anyway, just mid-week ramblings pointed at Setlist Scotty, or any person who is more familiar with Mike than I am (which is not much, other than just following his career).
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #347 on: August 29, 2018, 02:54:41 PM »
I hope SOA hangs in there long enough to make a cutting edge second record and see where it goes. It would be a shame to throw in the towel this early. A sophmore effort should be on the agenda.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #348 on: August 29, 2018, 02:59:05 PM »
I hope SOA hangs in there long enough to make a cutting edge second record and see where it goes. It would be a shame to throw in the towel this early. A sophmore effort should be on the agenda.

Only if they all say fuck it and try and do something special, instead of trying to appeal to the masses with the generic crap they did on the first album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Adami

« Reply #349 on: August 29, 2018, 03:00:24 PM »
I think one issue, mostly with bands like SOA, are that MP got into a very good and comfortable rhythm and work process with DT and then tried to apply to the new bands, without realizing that this process was only successful after years and years and years of working with this band, building the rhythm from scratch and easing into it. Doing it without all of that stuff results in half-baked, rushed products that don't have the brotherhood or chemistry necessary to carry them through.
fanticide.bandcamp.com