Author Topic: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)  (Read 310284 times)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Re: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)
« Reply #280 on: July 05, 2016, 02:23:16 PM »
I've already seen some comments on how 'MP SHOULD SING IT GIVEN HE'S BETTER THAN JLB!' in some discussions of this.

Oh, my. I love MP and most of the music he's been involved with but his diehard fans can be quite a handful.

I didn't expect the PSMS versions of the DT tunes to beat the originals (nor I think it was their intention to do so in the first place), but hardcore MP fans never miss a chance of stating something like: 'Better than DT! MP soul & heart of DT 4 ever!'. I'm usually very chill with differing opinions, but that's kinda a soft spot that annoys me to some extent.
It's one of the reasons I left MP's forums. If people think the DT-side forums here are bad, they haven't spent any time at mp.com.  :lol

Yeah, I think I've only been twice over there. I can't hande it lol.

Couple that with the fact that MP will post and have some interesting responses to fans with opinions that conflict with his, it just makes matters worse. Don't get me wrong. I'm still a big fan of MP, but his dedicated presence in social media sometimes works against him.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #281 on: July 05, 2016, 02:44:50 PM »
I've already seen some comments on how 'MP SHOULD SING IT GIVEN HE'S BETTER THAN JLB!' in some discussions of this.

Oh, my. I love MP and most of the music he's been involved with but his diehard fans can be quite a handful.

I didn't expect the PSMS versions of the DT tunes to beat the originals (nor I think it was their intention to do so in the first place), but hardcore MP fans never miss a chance of stating something like: 'Better than DT! MP soul & heart of DT 4 ever!'. I'm usually very chill with differing opinions, but that's kinda a soft spot that annoys me to some extent.
It's one of the reasons I left MP's forums. If people think the DT-side forums here are bad, they haven't spent any time at mp.com.  :lol

Yeah, I think I've only been twice over there. I can't hande it lol.

Couple that with the fact that MP will post and have some interesting responses to fans with opinions that conflict with his, it just makes matters worse. Don't get me wrong. I'm still a big fan of MP, but his dedicated presence in social media sometimes works against him.
Yeah. I get his 'I'm always SINCERE and VOCAL for my fans' approach, but that's not the most intelligent thing you should do if you're a person with a strong mediatic presence, I think.  Remember the first couple of years after he left DT? His DT-related posts were a mess. It wouldn't hurt him having someone that serves as a filter of what to post and what to avoid, with a very subtle: 'hey, you can still be yourself, but a little less of yourself'.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #282 on: July 09, 2016, 05:57:26 AM »
Honestly if I had the money, the time, and lived way closer, I would consider going but I'll probably end up not doing so.
Sure, it's the ultimate hanging with MP experience ever, but still, why not making a concert and filming it?
A 3+ hour concert of just MP stuff with guests and that would be very awesome, or maybe he could perform two nights and record both, with each night focusing on different stuff, the first one going on proggy stuff (DT, Transatlantic, etc) and the second one going more metal focused, as well as placing stuff from other projects such as Flying Colors here and there.
I'm very sure that would be better, more accesible, and way cheaper for him than hiring this hugeassboat.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #283 on: July 14, 2016, 02:33:03 PM »
In case you of you didn't know yet, Mike Portnoy isn't counting on a reunion with DT.  Thanks for the heads up, Blabbermouth!  ::)

Link: https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/mike-portnoy-wouldnt-count-on-reunion-with-dream-theater/
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #284 on: July 14, 2016, 07:27:46 PM »
Nobody hates Blabbermouth more than Mike Portnoy. They always misconstrue his words and take out of context quotes and turn them into headlines.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #285 on: July 14, 2016, 07:35:43 PM »
He actually comes off as pretty reasonable in that interview.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #286 on: July 14, 2016, 09:14:39 PM »
If Mike said in an interview that Blabbermouth can go fuck themselves, would they write an article about it? :justjen

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #287 on: July 14, 2016, 09:19:06 PM »
MIKE PORTNOY: Music journalists "can go fuck themselves".
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #288 on: July 14, 2016, 09:19:58 PM »
Blabbermouth is like the TMZ of the music world.  However, Portnoy says enough inflammatory things to where he's earned that rep, therefore anything that can be used as a headline to garner clicks on their site, will be.  This isn't new. 

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #289 on: July 14, 2016, 09:25:00 PM »
If Mike said in an interview that Blabbermouth can go fuck themselves, would they write an article about it? :justjen

No, they'd turn his words around and say Mike wants to take it in the ass from a blabbermouth.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #290 on: July 15, 2016, 06:25:12 AM »
I don't get the hate for blabbermouth. I don't view them as a TMZ but more of a grudge. There is a lot of cool news that you'd never hear anywhere else. They don't comment on the articles just post snippets of interviews. If MP doesn't want to be on blabbermouth then he should stop saying stupid things.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #291 on: July 15, 2016, 09:34:54 AM »
I think the real problem with Blabbermouth is that they're not real interested in the spirit of the conversation.   I've seen too many articles where they piece together interviews from various times to create a misleading impression, even if the actual words are words said by the interviewee. 

Not quite as bad as Howard Stern's crew taking snippets from people's audio books to say things like "I...like... to cup... the... buttocks... of... little boys." but close enough. 

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #292 on: July 15, 2016, 11:32:22 AM »
I think the real problem with Blabbermouth is that they're not real interested in the spirit of the conversation.   I've seen too many articles where they piece together interviews from various times to create a misleading impression, even if the actual words are words said by the interviewee. 

Not quite as bad as Howard Stern's crew taking snippets from people's audio books to say things like "I...like... to cup... the... buttocks... of... little boys." but close enough.

MP likes to cup the buttocks of little boys?????

Better tell BM!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #293 on: July 15, 2016, 11:45:58 AM »

Better tell BM!
I really don't think Baby Metal would care much, unless you know something about them that I don't. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #294 on: July 15, 2016, 11:47:49 AM »

Better tell BM!
I really don't think Baby Metal would care much, unless you know something about them that I don't.

Well, wouldn't they consider MP to be competition at that point?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #295 on: July 15, 2016, 01:03:52 PM »
I hadn't considered it from that perspective.  Thank you for setting me straight. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #296 on: February 11, 2017, 03:00:29 PM »
So, as not to disrupt the chatter about the cruise thing in that thread, I thought this thread would be a better place for this question:

Considering how many albums he has been a part of, if you had to list your favorites in order, say 20, what would they be?  Studio albums, of course.

Off the top of my head..

1. Awake (DT)
2. Images & Words (DT)
3. Scenes from a Memory (DT)
4. Bridge Across Forever (TA)
5. SMPTe (TA)
6. The Whirlwind (TA)
7. Liquid Tension Experiment - s/t (LTE)
8. The Grand Experiment (Neal Morse Band)
9. Liquid Tension Experiment - Volume 2 (LTE)
10. The Similitude of a Dream (Neal Morse Band) (still new, so could still move up)
11. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (DT)
12. One (Neal Morse)
13. ? (Neal Morse)
14. Flying Colors - s/t
15. Falling into Infinity (DT)
16. Testimony Two (Neal Morse)
17. Kaleidoscope (TA)
18. Sola Scriptura (Neal Morse)
19. Momentum (Neal Morse)
20. Second Nature (Flying Colors)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #297 on: February 11, 2017, 03:10:02 PM »
https://youtu.be/4sgzUl11LFQ

https://youtu.be/wrnr-lt7plI

EDIT: Of boy, yeah, MP's backing vocals haven't changed :lol
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 03:16:10 PM by rumborak »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #298 on: February 11, 2017, 03:17:48 PM »
https://youtu.be/4sgzUl11LFQ

https://youtu.be/wrnr-lt7plI

EDIT: Of boy, yeah, MP's backing vocals haven't changed :lol

Good idea posting it here in case no one saw my posting of these two links in the thread dedicated to those performances from MP's Birthday Bash that I posted half an hour ago! :tup

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #299 on: February 11, 2017, 06:18:52 PM »
So, as not to disrupt the chatter about the cruise thing in that thread, I thought this thread would be a better place for this question:

Considering how many albums he has been a part of, if you had to list your favorites in order, say 20, what would they be?  Studio albums, of course.

Off the top of my head..

1. Awake (DT)
2. Images & Words (DT)
5. SMPTe (TA)
6. The Whirlwind (TA)

10. The Similitude of a Dream (Neal Morse Band) (still new, so could still move up)
12. One (Neal Morse)
13. ? (Neal Morse)
14. Flying Colors - s/t

17. Kaleidoscope (TA)

I've literally never heard the bolded albums. Actually I gave Whirlwind and the FC s/t a listen and they were horrible. Especially the FC.
Especially the FC. What an immense fucking waste of talent. And that singer....??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #300 on: February 11, 2017, 06:20:53 PM »
So you never heard SFAM? :neverusethis:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #301 on: February 11, 2017, 06:22:40 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #302 on: February 11, 2017, 06:26:21 PM »
I'm having deja vu.  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #303 on: February 11, 2017, 06:27:01 PM »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #304 on: February 11, 2017, 06:27:59 PM »
How many times have you seen me type "fixed!"?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #305 on: February 11, 2017, 06:38:16 PM »

Off the top of my head..

1. Awake (DT)
2. Images & Words (DT)
5. SMPTe (TA)
6. The Whirlwind (TA)
12. One (Neal Morse)
13. ? (Neal Morse)
14. Flying Colors - s/t
17. Kaleidoscope (TA)

Looks like you got a lot of my favorites in there as well. Almost everything Mike has done with Neal, be it with his solo albums, Transatlantic, or Flying Colors, would be in my Top 20 MP albums of all time. I think you've got them all except Testimony and Lifeline,

I'm not sure how I would rank mine (it would take me awhile to think about it, so I may come back to it later on), but I think I would at least definitely include the first OSI album. I love that one a whole lot, lots of great playing by MP, especially for a small kit, and I love the over-all atmosphere of the album.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #306 on: February 11, 2017, 06:40:43 PM »
How many times have you seen me type "fixed!"?

You've typed it so many times, you actually know how to spell it! :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #307 on: February 11, 2017, 06:45:22 PM »
Shhhhiiitt! :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #308 on: February 12, 2017, 07:57:52 AM »

I've literally never heard the bolded albums. Actually I gave Whirlwind and the FC s/t a listen and they were horrible. Especially the FC.
Especially the FC. What an immense fucking waste of talent. And that singer....??

I may have to smack you for that one. ;)  Casey McPherson is a terrific singer.

I'm not sure how I would rank mine (it would take me awhile to think about it, so I may come back to it later on), but I think I would at least definitely include the first OSI album. I love that one a whole lot, lots of great playing by MP, especially for a small kit, and I love the over-all atmosphere of the album.

That OSI album just missed the cut for me.  I like it a lot, but I don't listen to it that much anymore, so it was hard to include it.  I probably gave FC's Second Nature the nod over it for number 20 based on the recency factor. :lol

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #309 on: February 12, 2017, 08:48:25 AM »

I may have to smack you for that one. ;)  Casey McPherson is a terrible singer.

Fixed.  :biggrin:

Agree with TAc on that one. The singer does nothing for me. Can't get the hype around him (just like with the singer from Haken btw).

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #310 on: February 12, 2017, 08:57:41 AM »

Off the top of my head..

1. Awake (DT)
2. Images & Words (DT)
5. SMPTe (TA)
6. The Whirlwind (TA)
12. One (Neal Morse)
13. ? (Neal Morse)
14. Flying Colors - s/t
17. Kaleidoscope (TA)

Took a crack at this, although I'm admittedly hampered by not being familiar with most of his work on Neal's solo albums. A Change of Seasons would probably be in the top 10 if it wasn't mostly live performances.

1. Scenes from a Memory (DT)
2. Awake (DT)
3. Images & Words (DT)
5. Liquid Tension Experiment - Volume 2 (LTE)
6. SMPTe (TA)
8. The Whirlwind (TA)
9. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (DT)
10. Flying Colors - s/t
11. The Similitude of a Dream (Neal Morse Band)
12. The Winery Dogs - s/t
13. Kaleidoscope (TA)
14. Second Nature (Flying Colors)
15. Sola Scriptura (Neal Morse)
16. Octavarium (DT)
17. Hot Streak (Winery Dogs)
18. ? (Neal Morse)
19. Falling Into Infinity (DT)
20. Black Clouds and Silver Linings (DT)
Photobucket sucks.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #311 on: February 12, 2017, 06:25:38 PM »
Of all of the full-length LP studio albums that Mike has drummed on as the main/primary drummer, I've listened to 32 of them. Here's how I've ranked them (for now, though this was hastily thrown together, so some albums could shift a place or two on any given day with me):

01. Bridge Across Forever (TA)
02. Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence (DT)
03. The Whirlwind (TA)
04. Scenes From A Memory (DT)
05. Images And Words (DT)
06. One (NM)
07. The Grand Experiment (NMB)
08. The Similitude Of A Dream (NMB)
09. Awake (DT)
10. ? (NM)
11. Testimony (NM)
12. Testimony 2 (NM)
13. Liquid Tension Experiment I (LTE)
14. Octavarium (DT)
15. SMPT:e (TA)
16. Flying Colors (FC)
17. Kaleidoscope (TA)
18. Second Nature (FC)
19. Black Clouds & Silver Linings (DT)
20. Office Of Strategic Influence (OSI)
21. Momentum (NM)
22. Train Of Thought (DT)
23. Sola Scriptura (NM)
24. Liquid Tension Experiment II (LTE)
25. Systematic Chaos (DT)
26. A Proggy Christmas (TPWO)
27. The Winery Dogs (TWD)
28. Falling Into Infinity (DT)
29. Free (OSI)
30. Lifeline (NM)
31. When Dream And Day Unite (DT)
32. Omerta (AM)

Albums I Haven't Heard/Owned:
Hot Streak (TWD)
Into The Maelstrom (Bigelf)
Metal Allegiance (Metal Allegiance)
Nightmare (A7X)

Seeing axeman list Hot Streak in their list made me want to seek it out, so I"m going to give it a spin and see if I like it anywhere as much as I did the first Winery Dogs albums. As for the other three I haven't heard, I doubt I ever will as I am not really into the kind of metal that MA does, and I'm not into A7X or Bigelf.

I was tempted to put The Working Man Rush Tribute in there, but Mike only drummed on 6 of the album's tracks, but DAMN is that album some great stuff, especially the renditions of "La Villa Strangiato" and "Jacob's Ladder", which Mike drums on both. Funnily enough, every track with Mike also features Dogs member Billy Sheehan on bass! Go figure! This album might also be the first time Mike drummed on a track with Steve Morse on a studio album (on "La Villa Strangiato"), though I could be wrong about that. Of course, he'd later go on to form Flying Colors with him!

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #312 on: February 12, 2017, 08:53:52 PM »
My order of the first three Transatlantic albums varies from day to day.  I could see Similitude rising up the number 7 if it holds up well, which I think it well, but he's gonna have a hard time ever topping those first three TA albums and the top 3 DT records (I&W, Awake and Scenes).

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #313 on: April 06, 2017, 07:49:50 AM »
Well it sounds like The Winery Dogs is on hold for a couple of years. I'm okay with that as I much prefer Flying Color and Neal Morse.

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/richie-kotzen-on-the-winery-dogs-future-i-dont-foresee-anything-happening-for-a-couple-of-years/

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #314 on: April 06, 2017, 08:22:50 AM »
I was painting this weekend and I was just putting on music that struck me - some Flying Colors, some Neal Morse, some Transatlantic - and it dawned on me that I could just make a "Portnoy Playlist" and be done with it.  Blackmore is by far my favorite musician and has been since 1982 or so, but I think I probably listen to more "Portnoy" than any musician in my collection (and I have about 1,500 CDs).