Author Topic: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)  (Read 310097 times)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)
« Reply #525 on: September 12, 2018, 01:52:20 PM »
Oh I'm sure something was going on, I was just curious the whole time since I got the early very serious warning not to approach him whatsoever. It was my best friend's birthday and I was hoping to get him to scribble a birthday message or something to him but no biggie.

It could be because they had fly out to Japan early in the morn. Right after their set.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #526 on: September 12, 2018, 02:10:48 PM »
Maybe he’s annoyed cause he’s touring with this sinking ship and having to miss Morsefest because of it. ;)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #527 on: September 12, 2018, 02:15:31 PM »
No u!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #528 on: September 12, 2018, 02:30:32 PM »
Oh I'm sure something was going on, I was just curious the whole time since I got the early very serious warning not to approach him whatsoever. It was my best friend's birthday and I was hoping to get him to scribble a birthday message or something to him but no biggie.

It could be because they had fly out to Japan early in the morn. Right after their set.

I'd be grumpy too honestly :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #529 on: September 12, 2018, 03:27:45 PM »
Maybe he’s annoyed cause he’s touring with this sinking ship and having to miss Morsefest because of it. ;)

Far more people at ProgPower than there will be at MorseFest.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #530 on: September 12, 2018, 03:43:41 PM »

Far more people at ProgPower than there will be at MorseFest.

Far more bands played at ProgPower than will at Morsefest. :)

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #531 on: September 12, 2018, 03:48:47 PM »
I'm not opposed to criticizing people if they've done something I disagree with, but are we just taking general shots at Mike now for the hell of it?

Online goo-goo

« Reply #532 on: September 12, 2018, 04:08:00 PM »
He did fly in from the Metal Allegiance show a night before straight to Atlanta in the morning for the PPUSA show,  and then off to Japan. Grueling travel schedule.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #533 on: September 12, 2018, 04:42:10 PM »
I'm not opposed to criticizing people if they've done something I disagree with, but are we just taking general shots at Mike now for the hell of it?

No.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #534 on: September 13, 2018, 06:13:08 PM »
He did fly in from the Metal Allegiance show a night before straight to Atlanta in the morning for the PPUSA show,  and then off to Japan. Grueling travel schedule.

That would be more than enough for me to give him the benefit of the doubt.

It's really tough to earn a decent living as a working musician and I'm sure he'd rather not be slogging it out on the road as much as he is, but that's where the money is. (Such as it is.)

I don't follow him on social media (more because I don't do social media than my refusal to follow him specifically) so I really don't know what the fuss is about. Not sure I'd care if I did.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #535 on: September 14, 2018, 09:08:25 AM »

No.

I know I'm not; I totally get the concept of being exhausted from travel, but I was just observing that things seem to have changed.  Not better, not worse, just different.   If the price of not being in a 5,000 seat theater band is more travel and less fan-time, so be it, but it DOES seem to be a different approach than, say, 15 years ago.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #536 on: September 21, 2018, 07:58:03 PM »

No.

I know I'm not; I totally get the concept of being exhausted from travel, but I was just observing that things seem to have changed.  Not better, not worse, just different.   If the price of not being in a 5,000 seat theater band is more travel and less fan-time, so be it, but it DOES seem to be a different approach than, say, 15 years ago.

Well, it's one thing slugging it out in a van when you're 25 and another when you're 50.

I'm sure the travel arrangements and they itinerary could be better, but then you'd be cutting into the profit margin. There's also a lot more entertainment competition than there was 25 years ago.

It's seems Mike sometimes catches it for the musical choices he makes but a lot of it is out of his hands. Trying to make a living making music isn't as easy as it once was, but I think he still manages to do a lot of what he wants to do.

As much as I love Flying Colors, Transatlantic, Liquid Tension Experiment or Neal Morse, none of those bnads are suddenly going to go on a World Slavery Tour.

Gigs are the major income for most musicians these days.

So I guess what I'm saying in a roundabout way is that the circumstances are different and there's more than one reason for it.

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #537 on: October 06, 2018, 12:46:52 PM »
In case anyone is interested in any of these things.

After talking about it for years, the MP4 Archives have finally gone online with most DVD's & CD's NOW AVAILABLE as DIGITAL DOWNLOADS!!

To celebrate this launch, we are PREMIERING the BRAND NEW Live Drum Cam of The Similitude Of A Dream - Live in Tilburg! Exclusively available here only...

Also now available are Drum Cams from the sessions of The Winery Dogs, Transatlantic, Flying Colors & Metal Allegiance...as well as both VIDEO & AUDIO of MP's 4 Tribute Bands: Yellow Matter Custard, Hammer Of The Gods, Amazing Journey and Cygnus & The Sea Monsters

Complete your collections now or grab em all to have at your finger tips at any time on your phone or laptop!!

https://shop.mikeportnoy.com/collections/digital-downloads
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #538 on: October 06, 2018, 04:38:07 PM »
That's pretty cool. I don't think it's something I would really be interested in but I'm sure there are a lot of people who are.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #539 on: October 07, 2018, 11:55:30 PM »
Never cared for his drum cam videos but those tribute albums are interesting. But why are the video downloads 5$ cheaper than the audio downloads? Less is more?
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline bobs23

• human mic stand
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #540 on: October 08, 2018, 07:49:44 AM »
Never cared for his drum cam videos but those tribute albums are interesting. But why are the video downloads 5$ cheaper than the audio downloads? Less is more?
The standard def videos are less expensive. In the case of the videos that I did, they are uploaded as either 1920 or 1280 HD.
I pulled the original edits and used those, as opposed to the down converted versions that were send to replication for DVD.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #541 on: October 10, 2018, 07:07:02 PM »

For me it depends on what album it is. There are still a few I'd want that I don't have yet, but I'd want ownership of the DVD in those cases.

But it's a streaming world it seems.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
Photobucket sucks.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #543 on: October 22, 2018, 09:30:15 PM »
Not gonna lie, I kind of want to go bowling with MP :lol :lol

https://metalallegiance.bigcartel.com/product/bowling-with-metal-allegiance-vip-meet-and-greet-package?fbclid=IwAR3ytDwEfah1E9Jk12SeBi55MtCI_4Iv5EGh2fw81-ncM2KhKXBp8tVfqkM

Wh000000t?!??!?! I'd DEFINITELY pay for that if they came to Toronto. But how can we purchase that without knowing if they're coming to our town?

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #544 on: October 22, 2018, 09:31:23 PM »
Nevermind, I just read that this is only for the NY show.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #545 on: October 23, 2018, 07:54:05 AM »
Not a bad price really either

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #546 on: October 23, 2018, 08:05:36 AM »
Yeah, I wouldn't consider a normal MnG for that price, but how often do you get a chance to go bowling with one of your musical idols?
Photobucket sucks.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #547 on: November 04, 2018, 10:05:53 AM »
Yeah, I wouldn't consider a normal MnG for that price, but how often do you get a chance to go bowling with one of your musical idols?

I'd have a lot more fun mini golfing myself.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #549 on: December 03, 2018, 12:14:10 PM »
For some reason I read it as "Where rock, metal, prog and fashion unite" and it still made sense to me.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #550 on: December 03, 2018, 05:43:01 PM »
For some reason I read it as "Where rock, metal, prog and fashion unite" and it still made sense to me.

It had to happen.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #551 on: December 19, 2018, 07:58:33 AM »
From MP's facebook:

Good times with old friends tonight in NYC! Happy Holidays from MP & JP #mikeportnoy #johnpetrucci

There's also a pic of both their families at the tree  :yarr

Offline Art

« Reply #552 on: December 19, 2018, 08:01:41 AM »
 :heart

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #553 on: December 19, 2018, 08:03:41 AM »
I hope one day for a similar pic with James.

Nice in the meantime to see the holiday season vibe strong in those two  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #554 on: December 19, 2018, 08:21:15 AM »
This is the second pic of them together this year. I think they did the first one around New Year's. I'm glad to see them in a pic together & happy if nothing else. It should make us smile too. Music aside, it's the relationships that matter.

Here's a great idea...could MP be a special guest during one date of this year's tour for the SFAM set? Not the whole SFAM set, but for a song? Don't know if both DT & MP 2019 tour schedules could allow for it. Think about this...how epic would it be (for nostalgia's sake) for MP to play "Dance of Eternity" with the guys? This is not a "get MP back in DT" plea or an attempt to take a dump on Mangini. Just a nostalgia thing. Seems like perfect timing to do something like this.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #555 on: December 19, 2018, 08:56:17 AM »
The NYC date sounds good for that  :biggrin:

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #556 on: December 19, 2018, 09:20:15 AM »
Here's a great idea...could MP be a special guest during one date of this year's tour for the SFAM set? Not the whole SFAM set, but for a song? Don't know if both DT & MP 2019 tour schedules could allow for it. Think about this...how epic would it be (for nostalgia's sake) for MP to play "Dance of Eternity" with the guys? This is not a "get MP back in DT" plea or an attempt to take a dump on Mangini. Just a nostalgia thing. Seems like perfect timing to do something like this.

That'd be neat to see....but it's tough to tell what his relationship is with the other guys. We know from social media that he, JP and JR seem to have mended any hard feelings or wounds from him leaving the band.....but there seems to be no evidence to suggest that he and James or JMX are on speaking terms. Given Mangini's personality.....I'd be willing to bet he'd be fine with allowing MP to make a 'guest' appearance. I just get the feeling that there are still some hard feelings left out there between MP/JL and JMX.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #557 on: December 19, 2018, 09:22:29 AM »
As much as I would love it, I don't see them bringing MP on stage to drum with DT anytime soon. Wouldn't be fair to MM given all the chatter that fans still do about how missed MP is. I wouldn't be surprised if MP and JP end up jamming onstage together for something else though. I was really excited thinking it was going to happen at the Metal Allegiance show in Brooklyn a few weeks ago because I saw JP there with a guitar case, but he was just serving as his wife's roadie :lol (she plays lead in the all female Judas Priest cover band that opened for Metal Allegiance).
Photobucket sucks.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #558 on: December 19, 2018, 09:24:49 AM »
 :lol that's pretty funny.  I already could see JR and MP doing something on the Cruise to the Edge they both will be on.  I'd think MM would allow it, but I feel JLB has maybe the most beef.  Maybe he'd be cool with it, but I also don't see it happening just yet.  I do think it will eventually happen though, just seems so ripe to eventually happen.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #559 on: December 19, 2018, 09:32:01 AM »
Curious as to if another Liquid Tension Experiment would ever happen? I'd think that'd be the best shot we're gonna get for them to perform/create together ever again.

Question is....."IF" JLB and JMX are still upset with MP and have unsettled issues.....would they get upset with JR and JP if they did another LTE with MP?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind