Author Topic: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)  (Read 310015 times)

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Mike Portnoy Thread
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2010, 06:03:22 PM »
Of course not.  Nothings wrong with him saying this year has been crazy.  But when he makes that stupid "the only ones you can trust are your family" just makes me groan.  Its the same kind of cryptic sad/angry message that a 15-year-old will direct at someone.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2010, 06:04:57 PM »
How do we know it's a jab at DT? Maybe he was expecting-- and anticipating-- and invitation from A7X and that didn't materialize?  Maybe he's talking about Wilson/Adkerfeldt which, justifiably or not, he thought he was going to be a part of. Maybe he's talking about all three. The point is, we don't know until we know.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2010, 06:06:44 PM »
The only ones you can count on, PC. Meaning, none of the others can be counted on.

Who knows. Maybe he got canned by A7X too. Wouldn't be surprised to be honest, the whole DT breakup has drawn a lot of attention to MP, a guy who should have been quietly behind his kit letting A7X shine. I can't imagine A7X being too happy about being dragged into that.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2010, 06:12:30 PM »
While I'm not sure if I were in his shoes that I would take a statement like that to facebook, I don't see what's wrong with it. I'm pretty sure he was counting on DT more-or-less going along with his program, and they didn't. And now he's sad about that. I think this was inevitable.

But honestly, family being the ONLY people you can count on isn't any kind of bizarre statement. It's just common knowledge.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 06:23:34 PM by Perpetual Change »

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2010, 06:28:13 PM »
I just think it's bullshit the way he said it, and it makes him look stupid because the whole world can see this statement.

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2010, 06:29:02 PM »
Somebody on twitter: "Do you think DT will announce MP as their 'new' drummer?"

It would certainly be a surprise.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2010, 06:30:42 PM »
Somebody on twitter: "Do you think DT will announce MP as their 'new' drummer?"

It would certainly be a surprise.

Aerosmith did that a few months ago.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2010, 06:33:39 PM »
That's not happening.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2010, 06:34:44 PM »
It better not.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2010, 06:35:16 PM »
Yeah. And if you thought it was going to, I think this recent fb post should make it pretty clear.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2010, 06:55:58 PM »
But honestly, family being the ONLY people you can count on isn't any kind of bizarre statement. It's just common knowledge.
No, but saying that he learnt it over the course of this particularly exhausting year implies that there are some people he thought he could count on, but couldn't.  Bit like if I said "Having a crap year at uni - starting to think my friends from back home might be the only people I can count on."  Not outright stated anything, but it majorly implies there's something wrong with my friends at uni.  It's a loaded statement, for sure.  Not necessarily controversial, but loaded.

My guess? Kinda think A7X might've let him go.

(N.B. Not having a crap year, btw, and my friends from uni are dead trustworthy so wahey.)

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2010, 06:56:46 PM »
This.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2010, 06:59:05 PM »
i definitely can see a7x dumping him and MP being pissed about it

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2010, 07:08:26 PM »
That's not happening.
They'll announce some name that nobody's ever heard of and then it'll just be Mike wearing one of those big nose/glasses/mustache combos.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2010, 07:11:38 PM »
That's not happening.
They'll announce some name that nobody's ever heard of and then it'll just be Mike wearing one of those big nose/glasses/mustache combos.
:lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2010, 07:13:17 PM »
Probably way off but this is how I see it :

Hey guys lets split up for a year or two while I go and play with loads of other bands

um no - we want to carry on thanks

fine - ill quit, then you'll have no choice but to break up because as everyone knows i did all the work anyway.

ok bye - ps we got a new drummer and we're doing great actually.

Fuck you guys - you carried on without me even though it was my decision to leave ?

:| uh wut?

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2010, 08:28:39 PM »
For the love of God, MP, stop posting whiny shit on social media. Sure, it is your right to go ahead and do it, but dude, whether you like it or not, you're a public figure. People are going to talk and speculate on EVERYTHING you write publicly.

Do yourself, your fans and your family a favor, and if you must vent, call up a friend, write lyrics for a song, work out, hit your drums, throw darts and photos of Kip Winger (that was for you, bosk1), whatever. But stay off the Internet. Did you not learn anything from the past few months?

:facepalm:

Here's hoping MP gets himself sorted out soon, because this is getting old.

Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2010, 10:09:19 PM »
This.

It's quite possible. Especially with how "busy" Mike seems to be with Neal Morse lately (two projects? Really? A lot for someone who's spent a year touring...)... maybe the A7X guys realized how busy Mike's going to be, and felt that perhaps this really was just temporary?

I thought A7X were touring into next year after a winter break anyway? Or did I read that wrong somewhere? I had read somewhere that MP was going to tour with them for the rest of the tour, or was that only for the European Leg (which recently ended)?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2010, 10:11:56 PM »
I know about the Steve Morse, MP, Neal Morse, and Dave LaRue project, but what's this other project with Neal that people are talking about?
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2010, 10:13:11 PM »
Testimony 2

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2010, 10:14:21 PM »
Oh, I'm not familiar with Neal's solo stuff so I guess the name didn't catch my eye.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2010, 10:15:55 PM »

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2010, 11:54:39 PM »
Reading some of the posts here, I don't see this thread lasting long.

Also, I'm not surprised in the slightest that his recent FB/Twitter posts ooze regret and animosity. However, I think that those little, pseudo-opaque jabs aren't necessary.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #58 on: December 14, 2010, 02:12:38 AM »
Good lord, do you guys really hate MP so much that if he makes a post about feeling sad you have to shit all over him yet again? Frankly if you're not going to contribute anything other than "stop whining MP" then you should stay out of this thread.

Obviously something has happened, possibly it was getting dropped from A7X, or if it's true that he's no longer playing with them then maybe it's something external that has led to to that being the case. Either way, whatever it was has clearly left MP feeling let down, hence his status. It is a massive stretch to suggest that it's a jab at DT, and it makes it very clear that those reading it that way are basing their opinions on their own preconceptions. This is a thread for MP news and discussion, not nonsense speculation.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 02:29:11 AM by ariich »

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #59 on: December 14, 2010, 02:14:59 AM »
I hope hes gonna be on the next A7X tour...

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: December 14, 2010, 02:52:26 AM »
Good lord, do you guys really hate MP so much that if he makes a post about feeling sad you have to shit all over him yet again? Frankly if you're not going to contribute anything other than "stop whining MP" then you should stay out of this thread.

Obviously something has happened, possibly it was getting dropped from A7X, or if it's true that he's no longer playing with them then maybe it's something external that has led to to that being the case. Either way, whatever it was has clearly left MP feeling let down, hence his status. It is a massive stretch to suggest that it's a jab at DT, and it makes it very clear that those reading it that way are basing their opinions on their own preconceptions. This is a thread for MP news and discussion, not nonsense speculation.

Yeah, I almost thought of renaming the thread. This is an appreciation thread.  I don't mind discussing Mike's updates and stuff too, but I'd like things to remain positive.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation Thread
« Reply #61 on: December 14, 2010, 03:02:06 AM »
Yeah. It's not like it needs to be just an appreciation thread; some back and forth discussion is a lot more interest. But this barrage of abuse directed towards MP is just silly.

Anyway I guess we'll find out what's going on eventually, but I wonder what it is. They've confirmed no family problems, so it could well be that something has led to him being no longer able to play with A7X, but other than them dropping him I can't think what else it would be...

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread
« Reply #62 on: December 14, 2010, 05:47:40 AM »
Okay, I changed the name to appreciation/discussion. Hopefully this is more than appreciation, but I'd like to see less animosity.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: December 14, 2010, 06:44:18 AM »
FFS, THIS!

This is like a universal statement. Why do people have to act surprise when MP didn't includ them under his wing on his last comment? JESUS!

Also, for the fun part of speculation, I'm guessing that he has now gathered with the DT members and the lawyers to sign the last details and amendments to the contract. This can be very hard.

Yeah, the tweet is definitely ominous.

You can also say it is unheimlich!

:neverusethis:
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 07:45:48 AM by emindead »

Offline volwrath

« Reply #64 on: December 14, 2010, 07:48:27 AM »
I think mpkept posting all this melodramatic crap andA7X said we are supposed to be a hard core metal band and we don't need this all this whiny shit going on, so they canned him.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #65 on: December 14, 2010, 08:00:25 AM »
Portnoy is such an attention whore. That's all this boils down to, really.

Right now he should be in "I'm going to STFU for a while and only post things that would make even nuns think I'm a great guy" mode, and he's been much better about keeping quiet, but he still can't help himself.

Your family are the only people you can count on, Mike? Great. So why are you always trying to plead your case to us?
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #66 on: December 14, 2010, 08:20:31 AM »

Right now he should be in "I'm going to STFU for a while and only post things that would make even nuns think I'm a great guy" mode, and he's been much better about keeping quiet, but he still can't help himself.

Your family are the only people you can count on, Mike? Great. So why are you always trying to plead your case to us?
Really? You're attacking someone for exaggerating and hyperbolising when they're feeling down? Pretty sure the vast majority of people do it, yet when MP does he's being an attention whore. :/

I be am boner inducing.

Offline volwrath

« Reply #67 on: December 14, 2010, 08:25:07 AM »

Really? You're attacking someone for exaggerating and hyperbolising when they're feeling down? Pretty sure the vast majority of people do it, yet when MP does he's being an attention whore. :/

Ha well in all honesty Mike has always been an attention whore :)

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #68 on: December 14, 2010, 08:29:45 AM »
Personally I always felt that he was sort of one too.  Just one of his faults.  He's a very spirited and emotional man, and that can some times lead to be the reason that he attracts and generates negative attention like this, but that is also the reason we still love him so much. 

I do think he is acting very childish here though.  His temper is obviously still flaring (for a reason, I'm sure) and he should stay off the internet until it has simmered down.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #69 on: December 14, 2010, 08:31:33 AM »
Ha well in all honesty Mike has always been an attention whore :)
Well yeah, there's no denying that. :lol But still, he's barely posted anything in weeks that wasn't excited, grateful or optimistic sounding, and he makes one post about feeling sad and everyone jumps on him for it. It's like people have nothing better to do than bitch about him.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 08:36:37 AM by ariich »

I be am boner inducing.