Author Topic: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)  (Read 313404 times)

Offline OpenYourEyes311

Re: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)
« Reply #245 on: July 01, 2016, 08:54:25 AM »
Clearly it's not gonna happen with DT. MP has made that clear. But I keep thinking it would be more feasible for the entire band to come out and play with MP, MM included. Imagine seeing the 12-Step-Suite performed as Dream Theater and two drummers! Maybe a drum battle, too?
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #246 on: July 01, 2016, 09:52:57 AM »
Right, and again, I personally don't have an issue with him playing it. I just don't have an interest in him playing it without DT. That's all.
I don't if you are aware of, but did you see PSMS perform live Acid Rain from LTE? Personally, I loved that version of the song and because it's totally similar to the original arrangement and, at the same time, the differences of styles between Derek, Billy and Tony compared to JP, JM and JR, makes that version specially unique. I guess that capability and chemistry of PSMS as musicians would work very well too for a 12 Step performance. With Russel Allen of course! ;D :metal
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #247 on: July 01, 2016, 09:58:22 AM »
I don't if you are aware of, but did you see PSMS perform live Acid Rain from LTE? Personally, I loved that version of the song and because it's totally similar to the original arrangement and, at the same time, the differences of styles between Derek, Billy and Tony compared to JP, JM and JR, makes that version specially unique. I guess that capability and chemistry of PSMS as musicians would work very well too for a 12 Step performance. With Russel Allen of course! ;D :metal

I haven't heard it, but I'm sure it was a killer version, those guys are all monster players. I'm sure he will get monster players to cover the 12SS on the cruise, but it honestly doesn't interest me that much to see Mike play drums to DT or LTE songs with none of the other guys from those groups. Clearly it interests a lot of other people, which is great!

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #248 on: July 01, 2016, 11:30:14 AM »
Cool, now I understood you point :tup By the way, Tony Levin, not JM.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #249 on: July 01, 2016, 09:54:03 PM »
Mike is so into doing this one off special shows that I think the performances suffer.  Sure, when you get a bunch of Grade A musicians together, you can make it sound great, but a day or two of rehearsals does not substitute perfecting a song (or 50 minute suite) over the course of several weeks. 

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #250 on: July 02, 2016, 06:45:25 AM »
Wouldn't surprise me if initial ticket sales for this cruise weren't that good, causing them to now start promoting the suite with the words 'Dream Theater' in the promo picture. Considering Portnoy never advertises beforehand what he is going to play live, you can't help but wonder.  These kind of cruises are hard for most fans since it requires a lot of money and dedicating anywhere from 3-7 days most of the time to go on one of them.

This is true. My girlfriend took my on the Train cruise earlier this year because she is a huge Train fan and I won't lie, it's a lot of fun but sitting down and seeing how much it cost. We could've gone to Costa Rica again for 10 days, or have done an incredible non-music cruise. It was a great experience but we won't do it again.

A little off topic but people really build a community on these boats, we kept running into people that new each other from previous cruises, it was pretty cool.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #251 on: July 02, 2016, 09:17:55 AM »
Yep, given the time and the money it takes to go on one of these, it seems like it is one of those things that would be awesome to do once for most fans, but to do it every year just isn't feasible, and this is, what, the third year in a row?  Not every fan has the money and vacation days at work to take off for a week to do something like this every year, and not everyone wants this to be the one vacation they splurge on once a year.  So, given that, promoting the suite is the hook needed to draw some fans who were probably thinking, "I don't need to go this time..."  Granted, I can't see it making that big of a difference - if you worship at the alter of Mike Portnoy, you were probably leaning towards going anyway :lol - but it's worth a shot.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #252 on: July 02, 2016, 10:38:10 PM »
I think the irony of the fact that someone is much more likely to buy tickets to this drunk than sober is lost on MP.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #253 on: July 04, 2016, 09:47:46 AM »
Mark my words: MP will play the entire suite with JP+JR, plus some LTE stuff aaaaaand they will release a new LTE album in late 2017.

2017 will be the year for parallel projects, as Petrucci is going to play with G3 next year (and wants to release his second solo album) Rudess could also play with LMR, JMX with JJ and LaBrie could release another solo album with his band...

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #254 on: July 04, 2016, 10:34:03 AM »
Mark my words: MP will play the entire suite with JP+JR, plus some LTE stuff aaaaaand they will release a new LTE album in late 2017.

Quoting this for future reference. :biggrin:

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #255 on: July 04, 2016, 01:02:20 PM »

2017 will be the year for parallel projects, as Petrucci is going to play with G3 next year (and wants to release his second solo album) Rudess could also play with LMR, JMX with JJ and LaBrie could release another solo album with his band...
Plus, Mike Mangini said recently on his Facebook that he is working on some new music by himself (someone asked if DT related or for a solo project, and he answered "both", if I'm not mistaken).

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #256 on: July 04, 2016, 01:11:46 PM »

I think it's pretty obvious that they will play the entire suite with all of DT, including MM playing with MP on a double kit. On top of that, Dominici, Sherinian and Moore will join them. On top of that, the guys from Rush will come and play a Rush medley with them too. On top of that there will be fireworks and free cake for all.

Also everyone gets laid.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #257 on: July 04, 2016, 01:19:24 PM »
And the keyboardist who auditioned for them that later died will also play.

Offline Adami

« Reply #258 on: July 04, 2016, 01:33:07 PM »
And the keyboardist who auditioned for them that later died will also play.

Will he die again during the show?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #259 on: July 04, 2016, 01:54:33 PM »
Only when he tries to play Dance of Eternity backwards and flips the time signatures upside down.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #260 on: July 04, 2016, 01:58:19 PM »
Remember that death is not the end, but only a transition.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #261 on: July 04, 2016, 01:58:58 PM »
Only when he tries to play Dance of Eternity backwards and flips the time signatures upside down.

Leave that to the 80's ZZ Top albums.  We swore as teens it was one song recorded and play it fast, slower, on its side or backwards and it's other songs on those albums.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #262 on: July 04, 2016, 02:17:31 PM »
Cake? Did someone say that there will be cake?

Offline Mladen

« Reply #263 on: July 04, 2016, 02:40:45 PM »
The band Cake?

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #264 on: July 04, 2016, 07:39:25 PM »
I've already seen some comments on how 'MP SHOULD SING IT GIVEN HE'S BETTER THAN JLB!' in some discussions of this.

Oh, my. I love MP and most of the music he's been involved with but his diehard fans can be quite a handful.

Right, and again, I personally don't have an issue with him playing it. I just don't have an interest in him playing it without DT. That's all.

I kindly disagree. To my ears, the PSMS versions of DT tunes (or Acid Rain) didn't sound nearly as good as the originals. I love Tony MacAlpine, but he didn't quite grasp the JP vibe at all (nor the playing or the sound) and Billy Sheehan overplays stuff. Listening to Lines in the Sand with Derek's original sounds is awesome, but it fails to give me the awesome vibe the DT versions give me every time.

I didn't expect the PSMS versions of the DT tunes to beat the originals (nor I think it was their intention to do so in the first place), but hardcore MP fans never miss a chance of stating something like: 'Better than DT! MP soul & heart of DT 4 ever!'. I'm usually very chill with differing opinions, but that's kinda a soft spot that annoys me to some extent.

That being said, I think the Planet X  and Billy tunes sound amazing in PSMS.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 07:46:49 PM by DarkLord_Lalinc »
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #265 on: July 04, 2016, 08:41:43 PM »
Tony MacAlpine is a somewhat sloppy alternate picker. His notes are way less precise than JP. Not sure if I want to hear him doing stuff like The Glass Prison where alternate picking is so vital.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #266 on: July 04, 2016, 11:32:02 PM »

I think it's pretty obvious that they will play the entire suite with all of DT, including MM playing with MP on a double kit. On top of that, Dominici, Sherinian and Moore will join them. On top of that, the guys from Rush will come and play a Rush medley with them too. On top of that there will be fireworks and free cake for all.

Also everyone gets laid.

You know you almost had me convinced until the bit about prog fans getting laid. Everything up to there seemed plausible by comparison.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline 425

« Reply #267 on: July 05, 2016, 12:10:14 AM »
I've already seen some comments on how 'MP SHOULD SING IT GIVEN HE'S BETTER THAN JLB!' in some discussions of this.

Oh, my. I love MP and most of the music he's been involved with but his diehard fans can be quite a handful.

I would be fine with and not surprised by MP taking a bit of a higher profile vocally in this performance. I could see him singing more of Repentance, doing some of the spoken/rapped parts in This Dying Soul, and maybe doing a couple lines in The Root of All Evil (he already sings a harmony on "never could have just a part of it" on the album, I could see him taking a lead on that). I also think him singing along with whoever the lead singer is on "I am responsible..." is almost a given.

But the whole thing? Not even close to possible. So much of it is beyond his capabilities in a perfect studio environment, let alone live while also playing some pretty intense drum parts. And he knows it. I'm sure he'll get a singer or singers who are capable of doing the lines as written. Daniel Gildenlöw, as people have pointed out, is a solid candidate.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Adami

« Reply #268 on: July 05, 2016, 12:28:34 AM »

I would be fine with and not surprised by MP taking a bit of a higher profile vocally in this performance. I could see him singing more of Repentance, doing some of the spoken/rapped parts in This Dying Soul, and maybe doing a couple lines in The Root of All Evil (he already sings a harmony on "never could have just a part of it" on the album, I could see him taking a lead on that). I also think him singing along with whoever the lead singer is on "I am responsible..." is almost a given.

But the whole thing? Not even close to possible. So much of it is beyond his capabilities in a perfect studio environment, let alone live while also playing some pretty intense drum parts. And he knows it. I'm sure he'll get a singer or singers who are capable of doing the lines as written. Daniel Gildenlöw, as people have pointed out, is a solid candidate.

Honestly, I can't see Daniel wanting to even learn that much. He seems much more of a "I sing what I write" kinda guy. Learning the entire suite? I doubt it. Learning some small part of it? Sure.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #269 on: July 05, 2016, 01:34:33 AM »
Gildenlöw was on tour with Transatlantic and played on records by The Flower Kings and Ayreon's 01011001, performing songs that weren't written by him and he did the Hammer Of The Gods thing with Portnoy, Gilbert and LaRue, a whole concert of Led Zep cover tunes. So if he is asked by Portnoy to sing the suite, I don't think he will refuse because he hasn't written it.

Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Adami

« Reply #270 on: July 05, 2016, 01:45:57 AM »
I'll give you the Zeppelin thing. That seemed pretty out of character for him. The rest though were relatively small parts. Like I said, I can see him doing part of the suite. But outside of the Zeppelin thing I've never seen indication that he'd learn over an hour of another bands material for lead vocals.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #271 on: July 05, 2016, 06:28:11 AM »
I vote Russell Allen.   All in favor say aye....
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #272 on: July 05, 2016, 07:35:55 AM »
You know you almost had me convinced until the bit about prog fans getting laid. Everything up to there seemed plausible by comparison.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #273 on: July 05, 2016, 08:26:41 AM »
For those who may have missed it, MP will be playing the 12-step Suite in its entirety on Cruise to the Edge 2017.

The two cruises I've been on have been two of the best weeks of my life, but the lineup for this still is far inferior to the two I was on, and this doesn't really push me into must go mode quite yet. I fear finances just will not be there, and I will unfortunately miss this.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #274 on: July 05, 2016, 08:44:02 AM »
For those who may have missed it, MP will be playing the 12-step Suite in its entirety on Cruise to the Edge 2017.

:lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #275 on: July 05, 2016, 09:26:52 AM »
Sorry, didn't realize I had opened this up to a non current page last time.  :lol
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #276 on: July 05, 2016, 10:23:04 AM »

Ahem.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #277 on: July 05, 2016, 11:44:36 AM »

I didn't expect the PSMS versions of the DT tunes to beat the originals (nor I think it was their intention to do so in the first place), but hardcore MP fans never miss a chance of stating something like: 'Better than DT! MP soul & heart of DT 4 ever!'. I'm usually very chill with differing opinions, but that's kinda a soft spot that annoys me to some extent.

It's one of the reasons I left MP's forums. If people think the DT-side forums here are bad, they haven't spent any time at mp.com.  :lol

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #279 on: July 05, 2016, 01:47:16 PM »

It's one of the reasons I left MP's forums. If people think the DT-side forums here are bad, they haven't spent any time at mp.com.  :lol

Yeah, I think I've only been twice over there. I can't hande it lol.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing