Author Topic: Pet Shop Boys (plus other synth pop bands)  (Read 10459 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Pet Shop Boys (plus other synth pop bands)
« on: December 07, 2010, 12:09:12 AM »
Going through somewhat of a big 80s phase lately, I have been rediscovering some of the Pet Shop Boys' big hits from then, and most of them are better than I remember.  "West End Girls" is the big song that everybody knows, but "It's a Sin," "Opportunities," their cover of "Always on My Mind" and "What Have I Done to Deserve This?" are all terrific.  All of them have aged surprisingly well, which cannot be said for all 80s music.  "What I Have Done to Deserve This?" is especially noteworthy as it features vocals by Dusty Springfield (she did the "Son of a Preacher Man" song many of us probably know from Pulp Fiction).

And on a whim, I just bought Fundamental, their 2006 release, from amazon downloads and it sounds pretty damn good (and wishing I would have bought a physical copy now).  

Basically, if you dig electronic dance pop, but also with really cool melodies and hooks, then this band might be for you.  Anyone else a fan?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 05:30:22 PM by KevShmev »

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Pet Shop Boys
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 12:37:26 AM »
I generally don't like 80s pop, but Pet Shop Boys and Depeche Mode are exceptions to this.

I bought their collection 'Discography' about 10 years ago, and I've listened to it many many times since then. They really did some brilliant pop singles back in the day. My favourite of theirs is Suburbia, but I also love songs like West End Girls, Always On My Mind, Being Boring, Se A Vida E, and Home And Dry.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 03:19:37 AM »
Great stuff, It's A Sin is an amazing song.  Another one I liked was Heart.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 06:36:21 AM »
that song 'go west' was awesome, though i don't really listen to anything else by them, i love depeche mode.

check that, domino dancing and always on my mind are pretty awesome ones i remember.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 06:48:15 AM by zerogravityfat »
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 12:57:02 PM »
Very good band indeed. Worst concert I've ever been to though :lol

For me the holy trifecta of 80's pop is Pet Shop Boys, Depeche Mode and A-ha.

EDIT: Also I love this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ed1tv_gCOUA&feature=fvst (Left to my own devices)

rumborak
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 01:04:10 PM by rumborak »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 01:30:14 PM »
Okay, this Fundamental record is surprisingly really good.  I threw it on my iPod for my workout earlier, and it sounded great.  A lot of cool melodic twists and surprises, and yet still upbeat enough to make you want to dance like crazy.  Good stuff.  I'd definitely recommend it if you like any of this band's music.

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 05:42:20 PM »
Pet Shop Boys have been one of my favorites for a very long time! They've been releasing one good album after another for over 25 years, but I think the greatest albums they've ever done are Very (featuring their happiest and saddest music), Behavior (really diverse and pretty), and Nightlife (sexy and mysterious). I can't say enough good things about these guys.

My other favorite '80's groups' are The Cure, New Order, Erasure, Depeche Mode, Tears For Fears, INXS, and Duran Duran.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 11:58:11 PM »
Pet Shop Boys have been one of my favorites for a very long time! They've been releasing one good album after another for over 25 years, but I think the greatest albums they've ever done are Very (featuring their happiest and saddest music), Behavior (really diverse and pretty), and Nightlife (sexy and mysterious). I can't say enough good things about these guys.

I can't see myself every buying every Pet Shop Boys CD :lol, but I wouldn't mind grabbing a few of their best songs from many of their best albums. What songs would you recommend from those records?

My other favorite '80's groups' are The Cure, New Order, Erasure, Depeche Mode, Tears For Fears, INXS, and Duran Duran.

I was never that crazy about The Cure or Depeche Mode, although I knew a few people back in the day who loved 'em, and these people always seemed to dig stuff like New Order, Erasure, Pet Shops Boys, etc., as well.  I like most of Duran Duran's 80s stuff quite a bit, and INXS's Kick was my favorite CD when I was 14 (and I still like it a lot). :biggrin:

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 06:44:57 PM »
I'm a huge fan of Depeche Mode, The Cure, and New Order, so I'm finally checking out the boys of the shop that contains pets.

I'm listening to their album Very right now. I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 08:22:32 PM »
Sweet.  I am still surprised at how much I like some of their stuff.  Fundamental is a really good disc from start to finish, and most of their well-known songs from the 80s and early 90s are really solid.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 10:15:39 PM »
I'll check out Fundamental next, then.

Also, I love how all of their album titles are just one word  :lol

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 10:06:30 AM »
I would rank their albums like this:
1. Very
2. Behavior
3. Nightlife
4. Bilingual
5. Actually
6. Please
7. Fundamental
8. Yes
9. Release

But I would highly recommend them all. And they have soooo many wonderful b-sides too--many of which can be heard on their double CD Alternative.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2011, 12:01:43 PM »
Got Nightlife recently.  Pretty darn good.  I love the club-feel of songs like For Your Own Good and Radiophonic, and songs like Closer to Heaven and Boy Strange have melodies that have been stuck in my head for days. :tup :tup

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2011, 11:18:47 PM »
Although I'm pretty sure I know a lot more by them, the only song I'm totally sure I know of that is indeed by them is West End Girls and I like that one a lot. I also liked a lot of 80s electro pop but generally only knew the singles since I couldn't buy much on a $3 allowance and by the time I began working I was a grunge kid. I should get on this soon.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2011, 02:15:24 AM »
You guys should start a thread about 80's pop in general. Maybe have voting for the best pop song of the decade ect. ect...

I was always partial to the stuff that Steve Winwood, Don Henley and The Police did in that decade. Some of the Genesis and Yes stuff from that decade wasn't too bad either.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline robk33

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2011, 10:21:15 AM »
West End Girls makes up the core of my New Wave (old wave?) Playlist!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2011, 06:33:54 PM »
I had the VERY album with the embossed orange CD case.

A good pop album, but I found them a bit boring before that.

As melodic electro pop goes - I always preferred Erasure.

Chorus is a brilliant pop song. And Nightbird has some really catchy songs on.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2011, 05:04:08 PM »
Erasure has some cool songs.  I like the first six or seven songs off The Innocents.  I always thought Phantom Bride was a great song (and a non-hit).  My older brother listened to them a lot in the late 80s/early 90s, so I heard them a lot back then.  A Little Respect is a phenomenal pop tune.

Anyway, getting back to Pet Shop Boys, Nightlife is quite a darn good album, and Very is sounding terrific as well.  

Who knew that a synth-driven, electro-pop band, one I have knew the hits by for over 20 years, would be one of my favorite finds of the last year? :eek :lol :biggrin:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2011, 05:15:12 PM »
I always found them really dull. Like they had all this bright pop music and the videos were dull and grey ( until VERY ).

I just thought Erasure had better tunes and vocals and more inventive synthy stuff :)

Vince Clarke is a bit of a genius !  :)

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2011, 05:45:20 PM »
Wow, I had no idea Clarke was in Erasure. So that's what he did after leaving Depeche Mode.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2011, 05:59:19 PM »
I never much cared for most of what I heard by Depeche Mode, but I am giving them another chance.  Violator sounds mostly good, and I hear that Music for the Masses and Black Celebration are supposed to be really good as well, so I'l probably be checking those out here pretty soon.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2011, 06:00:58 PM »
I never much cared for most of what I heard by Depeche Mode, but I am giving them another chance.  Violator sounds mostly good, and I hear that Music for the Masses and Black Celebration are supposed to be really good as well, so I'l probably be checking those out here pretty soon.

Those are 3 fantastic albums, and Black Celebration has always been my favorite by them.

If you ask me, they're one of the most consistent bands ever. They experiment and vary with each album (even 30 years into their career) and succeed with flying colors almost every time.

And they're perfect for satisfying the lonely depressed Gothic teenager that dwells within all of us.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2011, 09:40:59 PM »
I haven't heard much Pet Shop Boys, but I love what I have heard.  It's A Sin is amazing.

I want to make a playlist of amazing electropop/synthpop/power pop 80s songs.  I need some recommendations.

This is what I have so far:
Don't Wanna Fall In Love - Jane Child
You Keep Me Hangin' On - Kim Wilde
The Big Picture - Y Kant Tori Read (Tori Amos)
It's A Sin - Pet Shop Boys
Bizarre Love Triangle - New Order
West End Girls - Pet Shop Boys
Blue Monday - New Order

On a related note, I want to make a playlist that includes Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want by Dream Academy (Art Institute scene from Ferris Bueller) because that song just kicks ass
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2011, 09:58:59 PM »
I'd definitely add A Little Respect by Erasure, Take On Me by a-ha and I Only Wanna Be With You by Samantha Fox.  S. Fox had a couple of bigger hits, but I always though that song was the best of them.

I'll let you know how the Depeche Mode progress goes, Ravenheart. :)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2011, 10:21:31 PM »
The journey continues...If this song doesn't make you want to get up and dance, there is something wrong with you! ;) :biggrin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sf4DrzUx3tE

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2011, 10:22:11 PM »
Blue Monday - New Order

That's a pretty solid list. I'm a huge New Order fan.

Here are some I recommend:

Gary Numan - Are 'Friends' Electric?
Gary Numan - Down in the Park
Depeche Mode - Strangelove
Depeche Mode - People Are People
New Order - The Perfect Kiss

I was going to recommend some songs by The Sisters of Mercy and The Cure, but they're not really synthpop or electropop.

I know you said 80s, but if you want some post-80s synth/Goth electro music that's amazing, I highly recommend these:

VNV Nation - Darkangel
The Cruxshadows - Winter Born (This Sacrifice)

I'll let you know how the Depeche Mode progress goes, Ravenheart. :)

:tup

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2011, 11:42:06 PM »
OK 20 songs.  I do realize that Dream Academy doesn't really fall within this, but it's a good slow song to kind of break up the synthiness.
  A couple of these also don't exactly fall within this, but it's my list if you don't like it so what lol

Sweet Dreams Are Made of This - Eurythmics
The Big Picture - Y Kant Tori Read
Shattered Dreams - Johnny Hates Jazz
What's On Your Mind - Information Society
Life In A Northern Town - Dream Academy
If You Leave - OMD
A Little Respect - Erasure
People Are People - Depeche mode
The Promise - When In Rome
Two Of Hearts - Stacey Q
You Keep Me Hangin' On - Kim Wylde
Blue Monday - New Order
Take On Me - A-ha
Here Comes THe Rain Again - Eurythmics
Please Please Please let Me Get What I Want - Dream Academy
Don't You Forget About Me - Simple Minds

I only wanted 1-2 really super poppy songs on there, and Stacey Q is a guilty pleasure
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Mbarak

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2011, 02:40:32 AM »
Sweet.  I am still surprised at how much I like some of their stuff.  Fundamental is a really good disc from start to finish, and most of their well-known songs from the 80s and early 90s are really solid.

Wow. I really never thought I'll find someone who shares my appreciation for Fundamental here on DTF of all places. Favorite songs are Minimal, Numb (such a sad song! on par with SDV and Disappear IMO) and I'm with Stupid.

Thank you for starting this thread. :)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2011, 07:36:40 AM »
Good playlist, splent!  I forgot to mention OMD's If You Leave, but, yeah, that is a natural on a playlist like this.  Good call on Shattered Dreams, too; I've always like that song.  Alive and Kicking by Simple Minds is another killer tune you might consider adding. ;)  Just a suggestion. :)

Mbarek, the consistency of Fundamental is very, very good.  I can't think of one song on it that I don't like.  I expected the upbeat songs to be good, but what did it for me was the slower songs being so good.  Prior to last winter, I had no idea that Pet Shop Boys could do slower songs that well.  Numb is obviously killer, but Casanova in Hell is fantastic, Lunar Park is sublime, and Indefinite Leave to Remain is just beautiful. :hat

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2011, 08:29:07 AM »
I haven't heard much Pet Shop Boys, but I love what I have heard.  It's A Sin is amazing.

I want to make a playlist of amazing electropop/synthpop/power pop 80s songs.  I need some recommendations.

Blue Monday - New Order

On a related note, I want to make a playlist that includes Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want by Dream Academy (Art Institute scene from Ferris Bueller) because that song just kicks ass

Chorus by Erasure - Such a good tune !

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2011, 11:35:04 AM »
I need the check out that Erasure tune...

In the meantime, more PSB catchiness:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usGVYbAPio0&feature=related

That chorus is literally one of the catchiest ones I have ever heard. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2011, 12:07:37 PM »
Erasure is another amazing synth pop group--their September show in Portland Oregon has already sold out so I'm really happy they still have a loyal following. Like the Pet Shop Boys, Erasure are mostly known for their 80s hits, but I think their material in the 90's is much stronger; I Say I Say I Say, Erasure (self titled album), and Cowboy are their 3 best albums in my opinion.

And I am delighted that you guys are digging Very and Nightlife :) One thing I found out recently that surprised me is that apparently, Axl Rose is a huge Pet Shop Boys fan. He saw them live a few years ago and was a little sad that they didn't perform "Being Boring"

Oddly enough, my favorite 80's dancey synth pop song at the moment comes from the industrial metal band Ministry. Check THIS out!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNo0jCK-sy4

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2011, 12:34:53 PM »
Ministry are awesome. Both their synth and industrial metal eras are among the finest of the genres.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2011, 03:29:30 PM »
Erasure is another amazing synth pop group--their September show in Portland Oregon has already sold out so I'm really happy they still have a loyal following. Like the Pet Shop Boys, Erasure are mostly known for their 80s hits, but I think their material in the 90's is much stronger; I Say I Say I Say, Erasure (self titled album), and Cowboy are their 3 best albums in my opinion.

And I am delighted that you guys are digging Very and Nightlife :) One thing I found out recently that surprised me is that apparently, Axl Rose is a huge Pet Shop Boys fan. He saw them live a few years ago and was a little sad that they didn't perform "Being Boring"

Oddly enough, my favorite 80's dancey synth pop song at the moment comes from the industrial metal band Ministry. Check THIS out!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNo0jCK-sy4

My Favourite 3 Erasure albums are :

1.Nightbird
2.I say I say I say
3.Chorus

:)

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2011, 04:51:06 PM »
I love Erasure's Chorus as well, from start to finish. And I'd say that 7 out of the 11 Nighttbird songs are very good.

Yeah, it's unfortunate that Al Jourgenson is so embarrassed by Ministry's synth-pop origins. He should be really proud of making an album like With Sympathy--instead, he gets mad whenever anyone even mentions it.