Author Topic: Writers' thread  (Read 28305 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: Writers' thread
« Reply #175 on: June 09, 2016, 06:49:44 AM »
You're right; that sounds twisted yet intriguing.  I'm curious as to how it would play out, though.  It seems that the main body of the story would focus on the girl, with events essentially from her point of view.  The reveal with the hidden dead babies would be some years later, so how that ties into the main story, and the way in which we get the backstory on them would be tricky and crucial to making the work a success.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #176 on: June 09, 2016, 07:45:15 AM »
What's going to happen is that I have to keep it short enough to appear in this anthology. However, this could easily be turned into a novel. My writing doesn't suffer from not being enough. It suffers from becoming too involved, so I scale it back to not let it overwhelm me. Sure, I love reading short stories. However, what I love the most are worlds created with intricate detail and diligence, worlds like Middle Earth and Westeros. Television shows like Lost that still have unanswered questions. I can probably make this a short story that is a dozen or two pages.

I showed the idea to the woman who is putting the anthology together and she loves it. She said it's one of the more unique ideas she has seen for this book. She just released a Lovecraft anthology. They're not stories by him, but stories from writers with Lovecraftian influence. She asked me to write something for that, too, but I would never have finished it in time.

This story with the nun can become really involved, but I will keep it simple for now. Maybe she was a prostitute or a runaway or a former drug abuser. In exchange for jail time, she was given probation and had to spend time in a rehabilitation clinic, after which she was released into the hands of a family priest from her old neighborhood. It's there that she finds some kind of catharsis, but her past comes back to haunt her. OR I could do something different. I'll see what path leads to something darker and twisted. We shall see.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #177 on: July 14, 2016, 09:20:39 AM »
So I've started working on a new novel for a variety of reasons, but mostly because this one has crowded out the other one in terms of my creative space.

This story will be following multiple POVs each with their own chapters (Like Martin? Sure. Also like Abraham and Abercrombie and others I'm sure. Just an effective method of telling epic Fantasy I think). This has meant needing to create a timeline and rough chapter outlines before starting to write, which has the advantage of still giving me a lot of freedom in the chapters while having structure and direction to work toward.

Additionally this allows me to approach each chapter individially instead of as part of the whole story. I plan to approach each chapter as its own short story which i hope will have the effect of making them more engaging. I can then also edit them individually and rearrange the order as necessary, and it breaks the writing down into a bunch of less daunting pieces.

Excited about this project and may share some chapters as I go for criticism etc.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #178 on: July 14, 2016, 10:03:46 AM »
Nice! Is it still the same world as the previous stuff?

Man.. I need to pick up my writing again, but I don't think it's possible at the moment. My story is just growing so fast it gets away from me and I now fear I won't actually be ready to resume proper writing for a few years because I suddenly have a lot of re-planning to do... Again.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #179 on: July 14, 2016, 11:31:57 AM »
I also started something using GRRM's method of POV characters, except mine is no longer fantasy based, it's fairytale inspired. One could argue that fairytales are considered fantasy.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #180 on: July 14, 2016, 11:34:06 AM »
Nice! Is it still the same world as the previous stuff?

Yes it is.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #181 on: July 14, 2016, 12:08:00 PM »
In the early stages of planning my series I was struggling how to do the chapters and still get all the vital information in there. Then I opened A Game of Thrones, saw "Bran" at the top of the page and thought "ah, that's how I'll do it, it solves all my problems". So yeah, it's a good way to frame a very multi-main-character story.

One could argue that fairytales are considered fantasy.

I'd probably say it is.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #182 on: October 11, 2016, 12:43:47 PM »
Well the good news is that my story is going to be included in the anthology. The only downside is when. It could be anywhere from later this year to early next year. Hey, look at the bright side. It'll be out before The Winds of Winter.  :neverusethis:

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #183 on: October 30, 2016, 07:35:39 AM »
I have heard about people going to a starbucks or barnes and nobel to write. More power to them but I could never write in that type of environment. I really like an isolated spot with minimal noise. A place where I can get lost in my own head.

Something like this would be perfect for me:

What are your guys favorite/preferred spots to write? 

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #184 on: October 30, 2016, 09:55:20 AM »
I think I'm with you. Isolated spot with minimal noise.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #185 on: October 30, 2016, 12:00:21 PM »
Starbucks has been my go-to lately, because I need to be around activity. For the problem of noise, noise-cancelling headphones + The Piano Bar on Spotify.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #186 on: October 30, 2016, 09:26:33 PM »
NaNoWriMo starts in 2 days! Anyone participating?
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #187 on: October 30, 2016, 10:11:34 PM »
NaNoWriMo starts in 2 days! Anyone participating?

I don't participate for the 50 000 words, because as a slow writer  (though I'm sure I run laps around GRRM) I simply do not have the time in a month to write 50 000 words. Maybe I could sit and type "I" followed by a space 50 000 times?

However, this year I have set a word count goal of 20 000, and if I surpass 25 000 I am going to treat myself somehow. Although, the release of Battlefield 1 could be a crippling blow.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #188 on: October 31, 2016, 05:11:09 AM »
That's a good goal to set. I feel like we should "force" ourselves to write at least a page a day. It's not that hard. A book page is usually anywhere from 200-300 words. If we did 250 a day each day of the year it would come to lover 90,000 words. Granted some days would be a lost cause but others would bring more than a page. Even if we make edits, take stuff out, add stuff in, it would still be a significant amount of words. I think looking at it from that angle it's hopeful.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #189 on: October 31, 2016, 11:47:38 AM »
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #190 on: November 01, 2016, 08:39:50 AM »
I have nothing to add to the topic itself, but I want to point out that this thread was started by AndyDT. Oh the memories. I wonder whether he ever met his Indian woman.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #191 on: December 04, 2016, 08:09:38 PM »
Hey guys, I would really appreciate some honest feedback on the following. I've never had an unbiased opinion of my writing before, so if it is bad please be honest, just give me some ideas on how you think it could be better. Some backstory:

Eothred is the King of Aranor, the major kingdom in my story. Mayela is Eothred's daughter-in-law, and to say they have a disagreeable history would be an understatement. Mayela once tried to seduce Eothred's younger brother, Eonar, and when he rejected her advances she had his wife and children killed, and had Eonar framed for it. The king knew that Mayela did it but cannot prove it, and eventually had to banish his own brother from the kingdom, either that or kill him. Mayela then married Eothred's eldest son, Eomen (the "Eo" beginning of names is a tradition among the male descendants of the royal line). Mayela and Eomen have a bastard child, Aelenden (notice he does not have an "Eo" name, he is not able to ascend to the throne). That is all you should need to know prior to reading this selection. It is just a part taken from a chapter, so you are jumping right into the conversation between Mayela and Eothred. Keep in mind this is unpolished, but any criticism you guys can offer would be much appreciated.

"Sit." He gestured toward the cushioned chair opposite the desk from him. Mayela took a deep breath and sat down.
   A tallow candle flickered on the desk, burning low to the silver candlestick. King Eothred poured a blot of blue wax onto the parchment and pressed the ring on his right hand into it, sealing the document. Mayela's nose tingled with the scent of the melted wax, and her memories careened back to her childhood when she had spent hours watching her own father repeat this same ritual, and it was as if she was a young girl once more, curious of the secrets contained within the folded pages of parchment.
   Eothred blew on the seal and waved the document around in an attempt to dry the wax, and thousands of pounce granules spilled out of the creases and onto the mahogany desk, the fine powder died black with ink.
   "Are you not curious as to why I have summoned you?" Eothred set aside the sealed parchment and pulled an empty one off of the pile to his left. He sprinkled more pounce on the rough parchment and dipped his quill into the ink, continuing without pause.
   "I assume it is not to let me simply watch you write these letters." She could feel the grains lodging themselves into the side of her palm as if she was writing the letters herself, and the scratch of the quill on the coarse paper sent tingles up her arm.
   "No, it is not that."
   "Then speak, for I have much to do."
   "You have more to do than I, the king?" Mayela could see Eothred's arched eyebrow, although he never once lifted his head from his writing. Mayela breathed deeply again, this time to calm her mounting anger.
   "Is there anything more important to a parent than their first born son?" The question set Mayela aback, but the king continued to write, hardly worried of what Mayela might read.
   "Would you not agree?" Mayela remained silent, at a loss for words and uncertain of the king's purpose.
   "No, there is nothing," she said, but she was hesitant. Is he trying to goad me? What does he know?
   "Then you will understand why you are here today." He shook some more pounce on the letter to dry the ink and then folded it. "Aelenden is your first born, as Eomen is mine, so as a father I concern myself with my son and in relation, Aelenden, but as a king I must always consider the interests of my kingdom."
   Mayela sighed with relief, and Eothred pressed his signet ring into the wax once again.
   "Aelenden is my son, I should choose his fate," said Mayela, guessing as to the direction of this conversation.
   "He is my subject," the king argued, though his voice did not rise. "And there are thousands of years of standards that I must uphold."
   "What is this about?"
   "Aelenden can never inherit the throne," Eothred began, "This you already know. He has no rights, he has nothing."
   "He is my son, he should have the rights he deserves."
   Eothred set down his quill and shuffled through a stack of paper. "This is not up for discussion, it is a fact, and nothing will change that."
   "You condemn my child based on the words of men who have been dead for thousands of years."
   Finally, Eothred lifted his head up from his desk and looked Mayela in the eye.
   "One's destiny is not condemnation. I will not rewrite the history of my ancestors because you and my son were unable to act as adults. I love Eomen, he is a good man and will be a great king, but Aelenden was a mistake and is a smudge on my son's reputation, something I have worked hard my whole life to maintain."
   "Are you calling Aelenden a mistake?" Mayela was shaking with rage, and it was all she could do to not throw herself over the desk between them and throttle the king.
   "Yes. What good is a child, a son moreover, if he is unable to inherit the throne and carry on my bloodline?"
   Mayela let the subtle insult of her femininity pass. "Then Eothraen is also a mistake."
   "Do not speak ill of my son." Eothred's voice was full of poison. "Eothraen may inherit the throne yet, your son will not."
   Mayela laughed, though she would have much rather screamed. "You would never bestow the throne upon Eothraen, not if he were the lone remaining heir. You would summon your b-"
   Eothred stood up suddenly, and his chair crashed to the floor behind him. "Do not mention his name to me." His face was red and the veins in his neck throbbed with blood. "Not after all you have done." He pointed at her with a shaking finger. "You have done everything in your power to destroy the legacy of my family and your people, and for what? So your son can be king? There would be nothing left for him to rule in your wake, and even then, you would want the power for yourself. Is that what you have wanted all this time, to be queen with no king? Is that the motivation behind your wicked eyes?"
   "I have done nothing you would not do for your own son."
   "I have not-" his voice dissolved into a feral growl, low and threatening. "I know what you did."
   "Then you cannot prove it, else I would be still be hanging from your gallows instead of sitting here in your study." She amused herself by watching the king contain his rage. She had seen him like his once before, and so too did she know she walked a fine line here. She smiled and crossed her hands on her lap, the image of innocence, and the king had to turn his gaze aside.
   "Does it anger you so to talk to your own daughter?" she masked her voice with the sweetness all women in the court used.
   "It angers me that you live," he admitted. "It angers me that you are allowed to poison the minds of my son and grandson and are able to stand here and feign innocence where you know only guilt lay. You are a wicked woman, and how I wish I could run you through with my sword right here and now."
   "My father would not suffer you to live."
   "Your father knows his place before his king."
   The two locked stares and remained in silence for many heartbeats. Mayela allowed a smile to creep onto her face, and it grew all the wider when Eothred's lips tightened. She could sense the hate he felt for her emanating off of his body, and she was sure he could feel the same.
   "You did not ask me here to reopen old arguments," she said after enough time had passed. "What do you ask of my son?"
   "You will not like it," he said, and she knew he enjoyed it. Eothred bent low to retrieve his chair, and then sat back down.
   "You do not get everything you desire simply because you are the king," she reminded him, though surely she knew that he had not forgotten after all of these years.
   "Leave it be, woman," he warned, and Mayela conceded with upraised hands.
   "Since your son is unable to inherit lands or titles," he continued as he resumed with his letter writing, "A position must be found that is suitable for him. Aelenden is to be Summoned to the Sentinels to serve as protector of the family you have disgraced."
   Mayela's jaw hung slack. She had not expected anything like this. Her stomach churned at the irony of Aelenden's sentence, a horrible joke played by the king at the expense of her only son. Eothred smiled and chuckled, further angering her, but she knew he had her beat.
   "It is unprecedented," she began, forming her argument as the words spilled from her mouth, "For the children of royals to be given such a role, your ancestors would have never done similar."
   "You are right, it is unprecedented," he admitted, and Mayela could tell by his smile that she had argued the exact point for which he had prepared. "Royal bastards have never been afforded such luxury, since they are usually killed long before their existence is known to the public."
   "Gods," she said under her breath. "You would have him killed if you were certain it would never be linked back to you."
   "If I wanted my grandson dead, he would be, I assure you."
   "Then you have thought about it?"
   Eothred paused long enough for Mayela to have her answer.
   "He is hardly a warrior," she argued, searching for any possible escape. She knew Eothred felt tremendous pride in following and upholding the history of his people, so she continued to attack that angle. "You would have an incapable soldier standing guard over your family and tarnishing the legendary reputation of the Sentinels. Would you sleep easy at night knowing it was your decision that led to the degradation of such an historic order?"
   "Just because one is drafted into the Sentinels does not mean he will survive the training. The Sentinels train for years before they are gifted their sword and armour, and those that do not have what it takes either quit of their own volition, or are brutally injured or killed during the training."
   Mayela leaped into the opening Eothred had allowed her. "Then he will quit, and then he will be returned to my side."
   "Those who quit are banished from the kingdom under pain of death."
   Mayela winced at the blunt response. "And if he becomes a Sentinel do you not worry that I will have an agent amongst your personal guard?" Eothred's paranoia towards her remained her only option.
   Eothred chuckled. "You said it yourself, Aelenden is no warrior. At best I allow him to quit his training before he is killed, and would banishment not be a fitting punishment for your son?"
   He had her, she knew. It all made sense, absurdly so, for she held no doubts that Eothred had crafted this idea to produce that very result. She could feel everything slipping out from beneath her, as if the earth itself sundered only to swallow her up. The smell of the wax no longer reminded her of her childhood, but of the illicit letters she had written over the years. The wax reminded her of her failures, and of her hatred for this man before her.
   "You have until the child turns seventeen to enjoy your last moments with him. The gates of the city are always open should you choose to run away, I swear to you that I will send no one after you, though neither will I hold anyone back. Eomen loves his son," he reminded her, dangling the threat before her.
   Well played, you fucking coward. The thought of fleeing the kingdom altogether was inviting indeed. They could travel far to the south, to the enormous cities of Vrabelith or Invernell, even Iventa. or to the northeast and Tinurel.
   Or Dothiam. Despite the gravity of the situation the corner of her mouth twitched with the slightest of smiles.
   "And what of Eomen, what does he think of all this?"
   "He does not yet know, though I suspect he will respect my decision. I am, after all, the king." He folded another letter and sealed it with his signet ring before handing it to Mayela, the wax still warm.
   "The letter is for Aelenden, it is his Summoning," he explained. Mayela's hand shook as she grabbed the letter from Eothred. "You can give it to him and let him report, or you may burn it, the choice is yours. But should you choose to burn it I would advise you to be far away from the borders of my kingdom before Aelenden's seventeenth birthday, else the letter will not be the only thing that is burnt."
   The letter felt heavy in her hands, as if she held a boulder instead of a piece of parchment. Her fingers traced the edges of the paper, and then the still-hot wax seal, burning her delicate fingers, though she hardly noticed. She licked her lips but her tongue held no moisture, yet it threatened to well up in her eyes.
   Mayela stood up without asking leave of the king, her eyes staring straight ahead, seeing nothing. She left the room then, moving like a dead leaf scraping along floor in a soft wind, and behind her she could feel Eothred's smug smile, mocking her, taunting her.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #192 on: December 04, 2016, 08:57:03 PM »
This is really good. I notice the strong Tolkien influence, especially with the names.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #193 on: December 05, 2016, 04:10:35 AM »
Well done Jarlaxle. I got vibes of GoT and even the Farseer series by Robin Hobb.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #194 on: December 05, 2016, 09:50:32 PM »
Wow thanks guys. I spoke about it in the Tolkien thread, but after I scrapped my 180 000 word project (which I do still have saved away), I made an effort to write more realistic scenes. I didn't want to write the battle where the hero cuts through 300 baddies with ease, like a black belt fighting children, but interactions between characters that reveal a lot more about their personal side and intentions. I think reading a Song of Ice and Fire really showed me that those types of scenes can be just as interesting as the more "fantasy" ones. I have never read any Robin Hobb, though I have books of his on my to-read list. I will probably bump them further up the queue now.  :lol

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #195 on: December 06, 2016, 04:01:44 AM »
I have never read any Robin Hobb, though I have books of his on my to-read list. I will probably bump them further up the queue now.  :lol

Robin Hobb is a lady..  ;) (I made that mistake too), but I think you might enjoy the Farseer Trilogy series. It's a medieval setting, with plenty of intrigue within the royal family. Though her style, and the "feel" of the books is completely different from GRRM.

This is the first book in the trilogy: https://www.robinhobb.com/book/assassins-apprentice/

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #196 on: December 06, 2016, 05:01:59 AM »
Yeah, that was good Jarlaxle. Interesting story.

The only critique I have is that the mood shifts felt a bit abrupt whenI read it and snapped me out of the flow at times. It feels like both characters shift back and forth from both ends of an emotional spectrum a bit too quickly. It made it seem slightly less focused than it could have been.

Other than that, intriguing stuff.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #197 on: December 06, 2016, 09:01:56 AM »
Yeah, that was good Jarlaxle. Interesting story.

The only critique I have is that the mood shifts felt a bit abrupt whenI read it and snapped me out of the flow at times. It feels like both characters shift back and forth from both ends of an emotional spectrum a bit too quickly. It made it seem slightly less focused than it could have been.

Other than that, intriguing stuff.

Reading through it again I see what you mean, thanks for the tip!  :tup

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #198 on: December 06, 2016, 11:18:15 AM »
I have never read any Robin Hobb, though I have books of his on my to-read list. I will probably bump them further up the queue now.  :lol

Robin Hobb is a lady..  ;) (I made that mistake too), but I think you might enjoy the Farseer Trilogy series. It's a medieval setting, with plenty of intrigue within the royal family. Though her style, and the "feel" of the books is completely different from GRRM.

This is the first book in the trilogy: https://www.robinhobb.com/book/assassins-apprentice/
Don't forget they're cripplingly depressing  :D

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #199 on: January 04, 2018, 12:47:06 PM »
My two short stories were finally printed. After struggling to find a publisher who wasn't trying to screw us, the woman decided to self-publish the book. Even though it's not through some big publishing company, I still feel like I accomplished something important to myself.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/1973528460/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #200 on: January 20, 2018, 10:26:32 AM »
Finally got back to writing a little again after taking a considerable break. Feels good. It's a lot of work but it feels good to be creative again. Of course, with such a long break comes the fact that I will want to go back change a lot, so now I have some rewriting to do. And I've already written over 100'000 words over 17 chapters so that'll be some work too.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #201 on: January 20, 2018, 12:06:40 PM »
Does anybody know:

If you get a formal copyright on a piece of writing that you do, like registered with the US copyright office, do you have to write or document on the piece of work "copywritten" or any or is it just strait up protected?

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #202 on: January 21, 2018, 02:28:53 PM »
No idea if this will help you, or not. Hopefully it's worth a look: https://www.writing-world.com/rights/copyright.shtml   Best of luck!

Today's not going well. Been consistently getting over a thousand words a day for the new novel this last week, but I seem to have hit a wall today. Hopefully I'll be able to trudge through, and at least get five hundred words. Sent out some queries for my last book back in September after getting a list of agents looking for new clients in an issue of Writer's Digest. A couple rejections, still waiting on the others to follow. Got a rejection letter a couple weeks ago for a novel I completed almost two years ago. That gave me a couple chuckles.

Anyway, new book is moving like a fucking snail, but at least things are getting done. I guess.
Brave
Murder
Day

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #203 on: January 22, 2018, 07:29:16 AM »
Does anybody know:

If you get a formal copyright on a piece of writing that you do, like registered with the US copyright office, do you have to write or document on the piece of work "copywritten" or any or is it just strait up protected?

I am not an expert here, and you should seek a knowledgeable (in the field) attorney if you really need a hard answer, but my understanding is "no".  "Copyright" protection is automatic with publication, actually.   You do not need to register a work with the US. Patent and Trademark Office, but registering has tremendous benefits (it allows you to enforce the copyright in court, it changes the amount of damages you can recover, and puts the work out there to prevent others from even trying to infringe).    Once registered, again, you are protected whether you do anything or not (caveat:  if you do not defend your copyright from infringement, after a time you may lose the protection), but if you note your work as "copyrighted" you tend to minimize the number of potential infringements.   Meaning, if your work is of marginal originality (a prerequisite for copyright protection) telling others that it has been deemed so may make others think twice from publishing their similar work.  Does this make sense?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #204 on: January 22, 2018, 04:02:25 PM »
Does anybody know:

I am not an expert here, and you should seek a knowledgeable (in the field) attorney if you really need a hard answer, but my understanding is "no".  "Copyright" protection is automatic with publication, actually.   You do not need to register a work with the US. Patent and Trademark Office, but registering has tremendous benefits (it allows you to enforce the copyright in court, it changes the amount of damages you can recover, and puts the work out there to prevent others from even trying to infringe).    Once registered, again, you are protected whether you do anything or not (caveat:  if you do not defend your copyright from infringement, after a time you may lose the protection), but if you note your work as "copyrighted" you tend to minimize the number of potential infringements.   Meaning, if your work is of marginal originality (a prerequisite for copyright protection) telling others that it has been deemed so may make others think twice from publishing their similar work.  Does this make sense?

Completely disagree.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #205 on: January 27, 2018, 09:25:02 AM »
Been on a roll these past few days. At this pace I might actually finish the second "episode" of the first book before the end of the month. That would be some serious progress.

As always I question the quality, but that's just part of the course it seems. At last something is happening again, so that's fun.

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #206 on: January 28, 2018, 06:03:41 PM »
I was on a good roll this past week, too. Passed 20,000 words yesterday. Today there was too much running around, and the damn NHL All-Star game being on in the afternoon instead of at night really fucked up my schedule. I might grab some words tonight. If not, then tomorrow is business as usual.
Brave
Murder
Day

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #207 on: January 28, 2018, 11:33:45 PM »
How much do you guys write on average pet day? Both time and words.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #208 on: January 29, 2018, 12:07:28 AM »
Yesterday was slow, so only about 200. The day before that I wrote more than 2’000, so anything in between there is pretty much a normal day, although I usually try to get at least 500. Think my record in a day was well above 6’000, but those days are extremely rare.

Time is harder to tell, maybe two or three hours total on a good weekday. Somewhat more if I get a free saturday or sunday.

I was on a good roll this past week, too. Passed 20,000 words yesterday. Today there was too much running around, and the damn NHL All-Star game being on in the afternoon instead of at night really fucked up my schedule. I might grab some words tonight. If not, then tomorrow is business as usual.

What are you working on?

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #209 on: January 29, 2018, 12:12:41 AM »
I'm lucky to get 500. I'm not a serious writer though, just doing this for fun. I'm struggling right now, though. I want to write a 100+ page story and give it as Christmas presents this year, but it's looking like it'll be Christmas 2019 at this point.  :lol

God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen