Author Topic: THE Tool Thread  (Read 85862 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: THE Tool Thread
« Reply #735 on: October 27, 2016, 07:32:37 AM »
18 months. A Year and a half with all that free time and they still haven't recorded anything yet.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #736 on: October 27, 2016, 10:19:29 AM »
Oh man.
In better news, the show in Denver last night was amazing! My seat was surprisingly awesome- I was about 20 rows back with few obstructions. The sound was a bit off for 2-3 songs but otherwise great.
Apparently some local taco joint offered Maynard free tacos for life if he shouted them out on stage, so he mentioned that, and then during Opiate he sang "we both want/free tacos" :lol  :\
I was really happy to hear that song, and a lot of Lateralus. What was weird was they played for about 90 minutes, then there was a 12-minute intermission, then they just played for another 20 minutes. My friend suggested it may have been because of weird noise laws in town and them not realizing they had to wrap up as early as they did. Either way the set was great! Very glad I got there and was able to get tickets directly vs. from a scalper. My coworker paid $700 for two, which is absolutely fucking absurd. I would never pay that much for a concert ticket unless it included cunnilingus from the band.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #737 on: October 27, 2016, 10:23:45 AM »
Apparently Adam jones played a fan a new riff at the M&G before the show...

:lol or something he just made up because there is no new music.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #738 on: October 27, 2016, 10:57:42 AM »
Oh man.
In better news, the show in Denver last night was amazing! My seat was surprisingly awesome- I was about 20 rows back with few obstructions. The sound was a bit off for 2-3 songs but otherwise great.
Apparently some local taco joint offered Maynard free tacos for life if he shouted them out on stage, so he mentioned that, and then during Opiate he sang "we both want/free tacos" :lol  :\
I was really happy to hear that song, and a lot of Lateralus. What was weird was they played for about 90 minutes, then there was a 12-minute intermission, then they just played for another 20 minutes. My friend suggested it may have been because of weird noise laws in town and them not realizing they had to wrap up as early as they did. Either way the set was great! Very glad I got there and was able to get tickets directly vs. from a scalper. My coworker paid $700 for two, which is absolutely fucking absurd. I would never pay that much for a concert ticket unless it included cunnilingus from the band.
It's fun when Maynard does weird shit like that. Years ago in Dallas he said goodbye before the last song explaining that he was hopped up on cough syrup and really had to take a leak. He then went on to sing "gotta piss, gotta piss, gotta piss" during Aenima.

The market in Denver is pretty large for them. Checked on stubhub out of curiosity and there were 2 seats left. I've never seen the scalper market sell out before.

Seeing them tomorrow night in Little Rock. Looking forward to it. Road trip time.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #739 on: October 27, 2016, 11:09:16 AM »
Oh man.
It's fun when Maynard does weird shit like that. Years ago in Dallas he said goodbye before the last song explaining that he was hopped up on cough syrup and really had to take a leak. He then went on to sing "gotta piss, gotta piss, gotta piss" during Aenima.

Now that is funny. Must've sucked for him having to sing and see the screens about water.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #740 on: October 28, 2016, 02:37:21 AM »
Apparently Adam jones played a fan a new riff at the M&G before the show...

:lol or something he just made up because there is no new music.

Probably, who knows?
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #741 on: October 28, 2016, 02:41:42 AM »
" TOOL have two albums worth of new material but only 5 songs that are good enough " says Adam Jones...

Best part :

" There is still no timetable for the new TOOL album's release or even the beginning of its recording sessions. "

:rollin :rollin :corn :corn

Their supposed lawsuit was over in March 2015 and it's getting pretty close to 18 months ago and still no recording sessions in sight.

Holy LOL...

Not surprised about this at all... :biggrin:

There was a time when i was holding my breath for this new Tool album, that was a long time ago.

I'm betting, that this thing will never see the light of day.

I remain completely cynical on the matter as well
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #742 on: October 28, 2016, 11:38:02 AM »
This will be this best selling album of all time. 2 million copies on the first day. Tool know what they're doing.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #743 on: October 30, 2016, 12:50:14 PM »
Adam Jones certainly got into the spirit of things Friday night.

(not my pic)

Real good show, albeit a little short. I managed o upgrade us to 5th row center, which was kick ass. Remarkable amount of visual interaction, and they play off of each other more than I expected. Refreshing to see in the age of the click, and they do it amazingly well.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline NotePad

« Reply #744 on: November 05, 2016, 10:03:15 AM »
So apparently they've recorded a TON is of music, enough for two albums, but only like 5 of the songs enough to keep. I don't know if that's good news or bad news.

I just hope the next album has the same connection between lyrical themes and musical concepts that Lateralus had. Adam and Maynard were totally on the same wavelength while making that album. It's their masterpiece. I hope the next one is as deep.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #745 on: November 05, 2016, 10:18:51 AM »
Some more reverb wouldn't go amiss either.

- I think having two TOOL length albums worth of material ( around 2 hours 30 mins total ) but only having 5 good songs out of that is very bad news.

Adam should have spent the last 10 years learning a 2nd scale.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #746 on: November 08, 2016, 09:55:01 AM »
I think that whatever they release, whenever they release it, will be amazing. They've been working on something great.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #747 on: November 08, 2016, 06:00:54 PM »
I think that whatever they release, whenever they release it, will be amazing. They've been working on something great.

Or they haven't  :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #748 on: November 08, 2016, 06:47:14 PM »
Right. I once pretty much thought what NotePad did but at this point... I'll echo Dave's plentiful posts in saying  :corn

It's just good damn publicity and a fantastic joke at this point.

(and hey, if they come out with something, I'll be utterly ecstatic and if it's any good I'll probably implode)

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #749 on: December 11, 2016, 09:38:07 AM »

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #750 on: December 11, 2016, 09:40:57 AM »
 :corn

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #751 on: December 11, 2016, 11:07:31 AM »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #752 on: February 20, 2017, 02:48:58 AM »
Maynard Working On Vocals

Finally some progress ?

Yadda Yadda when it coms out i'll listen to it ...

Online Polarbear

« Reply #753 on: February 20, 2017, 03:25:44 AM »
Maynard Working On Vocals

Finally some progress ?

Yadda Yadda when it coms out i'll listen to it ...

I believe it, when i hear it! I mean they could scrap everything the've recorded, and start from scratch again. :biggrin:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #754 on: February 20, 2017, 03:28:41 AM »
Yeah it implies that Maynard is recording - but he could have just started writing the lyrics... Who knows how long that takes.

Then to find vocal melodies etc... Then finally record...

Plus there was that news that they haven't even recorded the music yet.

I'll still be shocked if we get an album this year.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #755 on: February 20, 2017, 12:33:55 PM »
Damn Dave, I thought it was going to be a video. Now that I think on it, that was really stupid of me to hope for.  :lol

Yeah, pretty much believe it when I hear/see it.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #756 on: February 20, 2017, 06:02:04 PM »
Yeah it implies that Maynard is recording - but he could have just started writing the lyrics... Who knows how long that takes.

Then to find vocal melodies etc... Then finally record...

Plus there was that news that they haven't even recorded the music yet.

I'll still be shocked if we get an album this year.

Me too. If it happens it'll be a pleasant surprise. If it doesn't happen then *shrug*
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #757 on: February 21, 2017, 03:53:06 AM »
At least Metallica kept busy with other stuff in the years between albums.

I don't think Adam, Danny and Justin have done anything ??

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #758 on: February 21, 2017, 04:59:08 AM »
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #759 on: February 21, 2017, 11:12:32 AM »
At least Metallica kept busy with other stuff in the years between albums.

I don't think Adam, Danny and Justin have done anything ??
Well, they do tour every year (save for 2015). I'd certainly enjoy hearing some new music, and repetitiveness has kept me from traveling to see them once or twice, but I'm a big fan of the concert experience and Tool does it pretty well.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #760 on: May 31, 2017, 03:31:19 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciQQ9LYu2t4

This is cool. Some of the tones are spot on.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #761 on: May 31, 2017, 03:38:59 PM »
The only thing that irks me about these videos is that Rabea plays the riffs from 90% of the bands they do wrong.
The tones they got were amazing though, especially the bass.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #762 on: May 31, 2017, 03:41:03 PM »
Yeah he says that sometimes they work out the riffs at the last minute.

To be fair to them - it's the tones they're trying to emulate and the riffs are more pastiche.

Or maybe it's deliberate to avoid royalty claims ?

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #763 on: July 13, 2017, 06:22:40 AM »
Maynard is on the Joe Rogan podcast this week and there was some great insight on Tool and heir writing process. If you don't want to listen to the interview he says that they take forever to write music. He made a joke saying "alright they started writing the music and I went and started a vineyard in that time and they are still writing"

He also mentioned that's always been their process and he doesn't write lyrics with the band because often times if the song isn't 100% done and he starts writing, by the time he completes writing tool will have changed the song and moved it into a different direction.

Great interview, no new information. Tool owes one album to the record company, APC just signed a one album record deal so their will be something from them.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #764 on: July 13, 2017, 06:56:05 AM »
Didn't Justin Chancellor recently say that the new album is "about 90% done".

I know Tool has made it a point that we shouldn't completely trust everything they say, but I feel it may be worth noting.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #765 on: July 13, 2017, 03:26:54 PM »
Joe rogan podcast is awesome. And I love when guests I am fans of are on. It was a great interview

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #766 on: July 13, 2017, 07:14:29 PM »
It was interesting to hear that Maynard is strictly a lyric writer, at least in Tool and APC. He is a busy dude though. I guess it makes since why he is busy with Pucifier when your other two bands release an album every 5 years or so.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #767 on: July 14, 2017, 03:26:46 AM »
I would definitely find that super irritating, especially when inspiration isn't something you can just put on the shelf and wait for the phone call from you band mates like "hey, its been 10 years but its finished now, you can start lyrics now".

From how he was talking, it sounded like 3 songs are almost done and nothing is recorded. So this thing could still be years away.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #768 on: July 14, 2017, 05:05:49 AM »
It'd be irritating for me as well but I've come to peace a while ago that it'll be forever until Tool releases a new album. They are successful enough to never play again so when and if it happens, it'll happen.

I'm just annoyed with the constant "we're in the studio" posts that come up from time to time.