Author Topic: THE Tool Thread  (Read 86233 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: THE Tool Thread
« Reply #630 on: May 07, 2016, 04:13:23 PM »
nah. i'm done with tool tbh. not worth it when there's so much better music to check out

Especially when that "Descending" thing they've been playing live sounds exactly like 10,000 Days.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #631 on: May 08, 2016, 07:20:22 PM »
Umm.....

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #632 on: May 08, 2016, 09:54:22 PM »
:lolpalm:
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #633 on: May 09, 2016, 04:59:00 AM »
nah. i'm done with tool tbh. not worth it when there's so much better music to check out
I'm pretty much the same. I liked Lateralus, 10,000 Days started really good but lost me after like the 4th song or so. I can try to put effort into getting used to a band, but why bother if I can listen to music that I know I will like from the get-go.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #634 on: May 09, 2016, 05:04:52 AM »
I think it's amusing going back and reading updates from Tool from like 2008/2009 with them saying "Yeah we have the music done, just need to work on lyrics/vocals" and "the album is definitely coming next year". Tool might just be the original trolls since before trolling became a thing.  :lol

Would honestly not be surprised if Maynard or Adam Jones puts out a biography in 10 years and they say "yeah so we never worked on music after 10K Days at all".

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #635 on: May 09, 2016, 05:39:43 AM »

Would honestly not be surprised if Maynard or Adam Jones puts out a biography in 10 years and they say "yeah so we never worked on music after 10K Days at all".

Yup. My current position is :-

• All the updates are hilarious reading.
• I don't care if it comes out or not.
• If it does i'll check it out.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #636 on: May 12, 2016, 10:12:25 AM »
I kind of do believe they have been working on music but for whatever reason they're just not doing much with it. Adam Jones seems to be the main creative force in the band. Remember the Vicarious video and how long it took to come out? Yea, this album ain't coming out soon if at all.  The fact Maynard keeps releasing new Puscifer just reinforces this.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #637 on: May 12, 2016, 03:54:10 PM »
I don't even remember a Vicarious video :lol

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #638 on: May 12, 2016, 04:14:36 PM »
Tool videos aren't anything great tbh.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #639 on: May 13, 2016, 09:58:27 AM »
I'm sure  someday out of nowhere they'll announced the new record.

Wasn't Maynard even supposed to have been working on the vocals for it? It's GOTTA be soon.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #640 on: May 13, 2016, 01:43:21 PM »
I don't believe a word they say until there's a CD out.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #641 on: May 14, 2016, 11:42:25 AM »
I don't believe a word they say until there's a CD out.
This

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #642 on: May 15, 2016, 05:48:41 AM »
Until the fans unite and stop believing the shit this band keeps saying about the mystery album, they will just keep doing it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #643 on: May 15, 2016, 05:52:47 AM »
I'm sure  someday out of nowhere they'll announced the new record.

Wasn't Maynard even supposed to have been working on the vocals for it? It's GOTTA be soon.

I hate to piss on your parade but people have been saying that since 2008 or something.

At this point I wouldn't even believe it if I held the album in my own hands. I'd just go "This is a really good bootleg someone made that looks legit".
I probably wouldn't even believe it even if I was listening to it. I would just think "This must be Karnivool doing their best to make an album that sounds just like Tool"

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #644 on: May 15, 2016, 09:51:49 AM »
Y'know, for a band that needed money to fight a legal battle so badly they sold blankets made out of recycled t-shirts for $100, in all this time they could have reissued Ænima on vinyl at least once.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #645 on: May 15, 2016, 10:15:35 AM »
Do you think they were telling the truth when they claimed to be writing music? I remember an update last year saying they had finished up the music for an "epic" long song. And not long ago Maynard claimed he was working on vocals/lyrics. Do you think they were making this all up?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #646 on: May 15, 2016, 02:19:04 PM »
Ya...but didn't they say that there was an accident and at one point everything they had been working on had been lost?   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #647 on: May 15, 2016, 03:29:53 PM »

I probably wouldn't even believe it even if I was listening to it. I would just think "This must be Karnivool doing their best to make an album that sounds just like Tool"

Hell - even TOOL fans don't even think 10,000 Days is a legit TOOL album. :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #648 on: May 15, 2016, 03:30:26 PM »
Ya...but didn't they say that there was an accident and at one point everything they had been working on had been lost?

The studio burned down and the ONE computer that had all the music on was destroyed like there were no backups at all :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #649 on: May 16, 2016, 11:01:28 PM »
Same thing happened to Gamma Ray when their studio burnt down.  They started again and the album was only delayed by 12 months.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #650 on: May 17, 2016, 09:31:27 AM »

The studio burned down and the ONE computer that had all the music on was destroyed like there were no backups at all :lol

That's what happened to Green Day when they were making American Idiot, only theirs were "stolen" and they had start over from scratch.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #651 on: May 17, 2016, 12:51:13 PM »

That's what happened to Green Day when they were making American Idiot, only theirs were "stolen" and they had start over from scratch.

I'm still waiting for those unreleased songs to get leaked some how. Someone has them, it's only a matter of time right?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #652 on: May 17, 2016, 12:53:21 PM »
I think what actually happened was they wrote an album and realised it didn't cut the mustard and deliberately started over.

It's been 12 years and no songs from it have ever surfaced...?

Right...

Offline NotePad

« Reply #653 on: May 20, 2016, 11:11:30 AM »
I hope the next album is thematically similar to Lateralus. That album was a deep spiritual journey. Brilliant.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #654 on: May 20, 2016, 11:14:13 AM »
I hope the next album is thematically similar to Lateralus. That album was a deep spiritual journey. Brilliant.

What next album?

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #655 on: May 20, 2016, 11:55:32 AM »
You just know that if Tool actually had older songs that were unreleased laying around, they would just crank those out as a "new album" now and say "that's what we were working on all along".

I don't know what's worse, the fact that there hasn't been an album in a decade, or that the band doesn't even seem excited about working together or creating new music.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #656 on: May 22, 2016, 10:28:30 AM »
I remember when the band was worried about Maynard working with APC. Clearly there was no reason to be worried. But I'm worried, hell, just released a new album. Also I remember hearing that during the recording of 10 000 Days Maynard wasn't even in the studio with Adam and the rest of them, for what it's worth.

But I got a feeling it's not Maynard who is the problem. It's Adam, for whatever reason. It's a real shame. Although they're still playing live regularly.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #657 on: May 22, 2016, 10:32:34 AM »
They've said before they don't like writing with Adam as he won't be happy until they've tried every possible way a song can go so they know they've picked the best one and it's an absolute chore.

I'm curious now. What on happened when you were writing 'The Pot'? ( when you didn't get on ) ?

Oh, it's just that our work ethics differ, I suppose. Maynard's definitely a person who relies on a flash of inspiration. No-one ever wants to second-guess him because he convicts right away, whereas Adam just wants to try every possibility over and over again. With 'The Pot', Adam knew that the very first thing we tried really was a flash of inspiration but he was not going to let it go until he'd tried every conceivable way of doing things, so by the end of it we really were ready to kill him. But when we're really ready to try something out, then we want to kill Maynard because he gets frustrated and doesn't want to keep working. And of course, we think Maynard's lazy and we think Adam's a slave-driver and we all get close to death. It all falls somewhere in the middle ground where it all makes sense, but it's just so difficult at times. These little idiosyncrasies of our different personalities come out and they drive you crazy, especially after fifteen or sixteen years.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #658 on: May 25, 2016, 01:31:45 PM »
Wow.

So most often, I usually get more annoyed with people bitching out "so-and-so's fans" than the actual fans. Not so in Tool's case. By light years...the most insane thing about Tool is...the fans. The motherfucking fans. Jesus christ. I almost laughed but then I felt a surge of pity.

Even so, this is hilarious. Even if it isn't actually "funny". :| :millahhhh :yeahright

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #659 on: May 25, 2016, 02:45:06 PM »
Tool fans always find a way to stretch it out.

But...August is 2-3 months away which is perfect timing for promotional stuff, a summer release and potential touring.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #660 on: May 25, 2016, 02:54:17 PM »
It's Blair. He *always* talks in riddles. I'd be willing to bet it means precisely fuck all.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #661 on: May 25, 2016, 03:02:45 PM »
It's Blair. He *always* talks in riddles. I'd be willing to bet it means precisely fuck all.

Yeah. I hate that guy. Very obnoxious.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #662 on: May 25, 2016, 03:03:59 PM »
TOOL "newsletters" are nothing but mystical sounding psychobabble horseshit which says precisely nothing.

" Today 'Danny' found a stone whilst traversing the upper echelons of the firmament of downtown LA whilst contemplating the myriad cornucopia of aztec ritual eschatology that might well have been a

primeval origin from a temple which might even have been configured into a pentangle dragon summoned from Hades in 600 BC ! "

"newsletter"

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #663 on: May 25, 2016, 03:06:08 PM »
Yeah that too. I know fuck all about him and he still annoys the hell out of me.

Then again...I don't think it's a stretch to say that he gets away with it precisely because he knows he can troll the fans and they'll go to it like a moths to a flame.

If peeps calmed the fuck down he'd probably go away. Easy to fool people foaming at the mouth.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #664 on: June 07, 2016, 01:59:35 PM »
https://teamrock.com/news/2016-06-07/tool-announce-3-october-dates

TOOL Announce Three US Dates in October.

:lol Woah slow down you maniacs ! An entire three dates !!!

Also - in Very Late October ? That means the album won't be out BEFORE that then...