Author Topic: THE Tool Thread  (Read 86129 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: THE Tool Thread
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2010, 09:32:27 AM »
Holy shit.  Was anybody aware of this?
Quote from: cracked
Three separate tracks from the latest Tool album can be assembled into a different one -- it's like Voltron, only with progressive metal songs instead of progressive metal robots (seriously, those guys had a woman pilot before most airlines). But plenty of bands do multi-part songs, so there's nothing special about it, right?

Well, the difference is that, in this case, you don't get the full song by doing something as mundane as playing one track after the other -- you get it by changing the order and playing them at the same time.

By themselves, the songs seem completely different: "10,000 Days" (11:13) is a long prog-rock number, "Wings for Marie" (6:11) is a quiet song that builds up into a crescendo, and "Viginti Tres" (5:02) is just a bunch of weird noises. 6:11 plus 5:02 adds up to 11:13 -- that's because you're supposed to put "Viginti Tres" and "Wings for Marie" together (in that order) and play them at the same time as "10,000 Days."

Sobriety is optional, but not recommended.

If that sounds too complicated for you, check out this demonstration at YouTube-Doubler. You'll notice that the weird sounds from "Viginti Tres" seem to be in sync with the melody of "10,000 Days." That demonstration doesn't include "Wings for Marie", though, which has the most impressive part: Near the end, the vocals from both songs alternate almost perfectly, forming completely different lyrics.

The band has never acknowledged any of this, but if you listen to the full song it's pretty obvious that they did this intentionally ... which is both mind-blowingly awesome and a little bit insane.

Here's a link with all parts.  Anybody could have done that with ambient noises, but the lyrical content of Wings/10k is fantastic.  Holy shit, these guys are sharp.  Yet another ringing endorsement for hallucinogens. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2010, 10:19:57 AM »
I knew that. It is pretty awesome.

Offline Space Invader

• The Canadian Doctor Who Fanatic
  • DTF.org Member
  • Also recently addicted to Survivor
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2010, 10:26:36 AM »
That is so damn cool. I had no idea, but it kind of makes sense.
Everything can, should and will be progressive.

"The only thing that is certain is that nothing is certain" - Montaigne.

I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street over maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez - Eleventh Doctor

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2010, 11:38:34 AM »
Yeah I heard that before. It's awesome, especially when sobriety isn't in the equation.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2010, 11:47:02 AM »
That sounds awesome! :tup Listening to the link now, pretty cool! I don't think you need to get high to appreciate music though...

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2010, 02:47:12 PM »
5. VIIIIICARIOUSLY IIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Fuckin' love this part

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2010, 03:00:23 PM »
That's pretty awesome. Tool are batshit insane but it comes through in cool ways.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2010, 03:18:31 PM »
Apparently, if you play any Tool album at the same time as watching Inception, your brain will melt.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2010, 03:20:42 PM »
Apparently, if you play any Tool album at the same time as watching Inception, your brain will melt.
Actually I heard it makes the eargasms 500x more intense.

Then your brain melts.
I AM A GUY
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2010, 03:23:54 PM »
Actually I heard it makes the eargasms 500x more intense.

Then your brain melts.

That might be true, I'm not sure. I'm too scared to do it.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2010, 03:36:39 PM »
I AM A GUY

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2010, 05:33:52 PM »
Holy shit.  Was anybody aware of this?
Quote from: cracked
Three separate tracks from the latest Tool album can be assembled into a different one -- it's like Voltron, only with progressive metal songs instead of progressive metal robots (seriously, those guys had a woman pilot before most airlines). But plenty of bands do multi-part songs, so there's nothing special about it, right?

Well, the difference is that, in this case, you don't get the full song by doing something as mundane as playing one track after the other -- you get it by changing the order and playing them at the same time.

By themselves, the songs seem completely different: "10,000 Days" (11:13) is a long prog-rock number, "Wings for Marie" (6:11) is a quiet song that builds up into a crescendo, and "Viginti Tres" (5:02) is just a bunch of weird noises. 6:11 plus 5:02 adds up to 11:13 -- that's because you're supposed to put "Viginti Tres" and "Wings for Marie" together (in that order) and play them at the same time as "10,000 Days."

Sobriety is optional, but not recommended.

If that sounds too complicated for you, check out this demonstration at YouTube-Doubler. You'll notice that the weird sounds from "Viginti Tres" seem to be in sync with the melody of "10,000 Days." That demonstration doesn't include "Wings for Marie", though, which has the most impressive part: Near the end, the vocals from both songs alternate almost perfectly, forming completely different lyrics.

The band has never acknowledged any of this, but if you listen to the full song it's pretty obvious that they did this intentionally ... which is both mind-blowingly awesome and a little bit insane.

Here's a link with all parts.  Anybody could have done that with ambient noises, but the lyrical content of Wings/10k is fantastic.  Holy shit, these guys are sharp.  Yet another ringing endorsement for hallucinogens. 

That is amazing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2010, 07:19:58 PM »
I heard that if you actually believe any of the stupid rumours about synching songs and golden gifts or anything then you're a bit of a fanboy because all the examples I've heard sound *terrible*. Especially the "secret" running order of Lateralus, where instead of songs flowing into each other they suddenly cut off, or fade in and then cut to something else.  :facepalm:

And that 10,000 days thing is a MESS. That is all.

A MESS.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2010, 07:24:46 PM »
The only downside with Tool is that it takes 5 years to make an album.

That, and they have the single WORST website of any band i've ever seen.

No band news ever - it's always " a friend of Danny is having a barbeque "
or
" Adam has been looking at rocks "

They don't even have any mention of their most recent album on the site  :facepalm:

Terrible site.

And 5 years between albums is ridiculous.

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2010, 11:39:40 AM »
I love how Tool fuck with their fans like that.  :lol

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2010, 11:51:22 AM »
The only downside with Tool is that it takes 5 years to make an album.

That, and they have the single WORST website of any band i've ever seen.

No band news ever - it's always " a friend of Danny is having a barbeque "
or
" Adam has been looking at rocks "

They don't even have any mention of their most recent album on the site  :facepalm:

Terrible site.

Why is this important in the slightest? I don't think I've ever checked a band's website for news of an upcoming album. When the album comes out, it comes out.

Having said that, I guess this is Tool, the band for which everyone seems to deem it necessary to wait incessantly for even the slightest hint of news about a new album, even though everyone knows that, being Tool, it's gonna take fucking ages and that, being Tool, they're not gonna give you clear information about it anyway.

Seriously, do people just never learn when it comes to this band?

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2010, 11:58:30 AM »
^Me too its funny at times.

The 10,000 Days mash up is alright though it doesn't seem to be intentional. The lateralus thing on the other hand, is amazing. The way people have done it doesn't make sense yes its fibbonaci but maybe that's the blueprint. 6 and 7 are beginning. Mantra goes in the middle of Ticks and Leeches, Disposition/Reflection/Triad are all connected and need to be one song, Eon Blue is at the end of Reflection
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2010, 02:09:13 AM »
I'm pretty confused as to how anyone can say it doesn't seem to be intentional.
6:11 plus 5:02 adds up to 11:13
plus
the vocals from both songs alternate almost perfectly, forming completely different lyrics
is some pretty mad coincidence if it's not intentional.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2010, 08:53:34 AM »

Honestly, I don't mind that. 4 strong albums > 10 mediocre ones. They can take all the time they want because they've delivered all 4 times. Makes it that much more special when a new album finally comes out. I would hate for every band to operate like Tool does in terms of making new music, but for some reason I like that Tool has a small discography.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2010, 11:38:28 AM »
I'm pretty confused as to how anyone can say it doesn't seem to be intentional.
6:11 plus 5:02 adds up to 11:13
plus
the vocals from both songs alternate almost perfectly, forming completely different lyrics
is some pretty mad coincidence if it's not intentional.

That or they made Viginti Tres 5:02 just to make up the time so people would *think* theres a connection  :biggrin:

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2010, 11:40:45 AM »
Viginiti Tres would have been simple.  They could have just removed various sound effects from the completed version of 10k and called it a song.  Having WfM match up with the last 6 minutes of 10k is a completely different story. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2010, 11:42:58 AM »
I've listened a few times. If it was intentional it certainly sounds bad to my ears. Funnily enough, like two songs playing at once.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2010, 12:12:51 PM »
Listening right now, it sounds damn good to me. I love how the beat's completely changed in the beginning in the second half.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2010, 12:24:55 PM »
I,ve heard it and done both plenty of times, and the Lateralus one is better. 10,000 Days was okay some parts didn't sounded cluttered.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: December 24, 2010, 10:15:44 PM »
Oh my God. I just got a physical copy of 10,000 days recently, and as such I'm giving the album a serious full listen for the first time. Wings for Marie and 10,000 Days just brought me to my knees. So damn amazing.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #60 on: December 24, 2010, 10:31:29 PM »
GIVE ME MY... GIVE ME MY WIIIIIIIIIIIINGS :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy
I AM A GUY

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: December 24, 2010, 10:35:07 PM »
I love his delivery of that line. There's so much emotion built up when he repeats "give me my" that you expect the word "wings" to be belted out with full force, but instead it's sung in a surprisingly calm and peaceful way. I was not expecting that at all, but it works perfectly.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #62 on: December 24, 2010, 10:43:53 PM »
My favorite part is the Hey ho's. Also, the verse before "your going home"

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #63 on: January 05, 2011, 08:07:43 AM »
I'm new to these guys and I've got to say they're amazing. I loved Lateralus and today I exercised with Aenima on my Player. Feels good man.

They are working/planning to work on a new album currently, ain't they?

TO ASCEND YOU MUST DIE
YOU MUST BE CRUCIFIED
FOR OUR SINS AND OUR LIES
GOOD
BYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2011, 08:28:29 AM »
The first time I heard that 'GOOOODBYEEE!' I was like 'that's pretty cool.' And then it KEPT GOING for the whole outro and I was like 'Maynard is God.' Aenima is a really, really great exercise album, I've run with it so many times that I visualise the park I run in when I hear it sometimes now.  :lol

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2011, 10:02:34 AM »
Don't get TOO excited about reading stuff like "Tool are working on a new album", because normally it takes 5 years from that before you get the album.  :lol

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2011, 10:04:02 AM »
 :metal
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #67 on: January 06, 2011, 11:50:11 AM »
Don't get TOO excited about reading stuff like "Tool are working on a new album", because normally it takes 5 years from that before you get the album.  :lol
2006+5=2011 :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: January 06, 2011, 01:41:49 PM »
Man, it just feels like yesterday when I remember racing down to the shops on the release date of 10,000 Days.  Ah, good times.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #69 on: January 06, 2011, 01:42:13 PM »
My friend and I are saving up all our stems to make special tea and drink it before we see Tool... :hat