Author Topic: THE Tool Thread  (Read 85859 times)

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
Re: THE Tool Thread
« Reply #175 on: November 03, 2011, 06:51:37 PM »
HEY GUYS I HAVE SOME NEWS ABOUT THE NEW ALBUM:

It's not out yet.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #176 on: November 03, 2011, 06:53:02 PM »
You got me. Darn you!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #177 on: November 03, 2011, 07:06:14 PM »
HEY GUYS I HAVE SOME NEWS ABOUT THE NEW ALBUM:

It's not out yet.

Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Metal

« Reply #178 on: December 01, 2011, 06:06:21 PM »
TOOL NEWSLETTER
NOVEMBER 2011, E.V.

At a time when the headlines are dominated by frenzied Amish beard clippers, whooping cough and Occupy Wall Street (Forget that – how about Occupy the Playboy Mansion, all you 69 per centers!), rather than discuss the thawing permafrost, Sandusky, or baffling Gamma ray bursts, how about some exciting TOOL-RELATED NEWS… That’s right – while most of you were still digesting your Thanksgiving bird, highly acclaimed recording engineer and producer (not to mention vintage candy aficionado!) ‘Evil’ Joe Barresi was seated at the mixing console in the band’s home studio – the only evidence of the holiday being a bowl of pumpkin-pie cheesecake Kit Kats that was placed there by one of the girls from Tool’s business management. Believe it! Hours after your cranberry sauce was still jiggling, members of the band had gathered at the loft to begin tracking. For these VOLTO! sessions, the place looked like a gear-junkie’s wet-dream, and with the ‘evil’ one deftly punching in bars on the remote control, as the night wore on, song after song –in all their musical complexity – were being captured on tape (Yes, tape! For this record, a Studer A827 “Gold Edition” analog tape recorder had been trucked in.) By the time of my much-anticipated arrival on Tuesday, almost all of the tracks were finished, as were the holiday confections. With the loft now littered with empty Tommy’s burger wrappers and spent cans of Red Bull, as guitar riffs processed through an antique Echoplex wailed over the KRKs, stories were being told about Danny recently making a daring escape in his orange Lambo from Mastros steakhouse in Beverly Hills (where a side of lobster mashed potatoes goes for $30.00) – the entire thing caught by TMZ’s cameras… although the crowd cheers are probably still lying on the proverbial cutting room floor. And now, with you being down to your last leftover turkey sandwich, with but a few overdubs to add, you can bet that the boys will be back at it tonight…
But what about TOOL’s new album, you ask?

Are they still making progress with the writing and arranging sessions? Will they be working during the holidays as a Gamma ray-mutated pterosaur tramples on foreclosed gingerbread houses? Absolutely! (for the quintillionth time), only with a festive pear-cinnamon cider replacing the Volto! Red Bulls. Actually, I’ve even seen part of a video from the band’s next record – albeit this occurred during a strange time-slip that I recently experienced while pushing a shopping cart down one of the aisles at my local Ralphs (a place where cracks in paratime somehow seem to happen regularly). While looking for *********, I saw some guy wearing a programmable display (UV) TOOL ‘video’ tee-shirt. Glancing at it, I could hear the haunting sonic structure of one of the new songs accompanied by the bizarre, vibrant, Adam Jones imagery (yes, on the soft, flexible ‘screen’ material – which, of course, was made from the best quality cloth-plants). Wait a quark-flipping minute! Had I pushed the screeching cart many years into the future? Entranced by the dude’s shirt, I watched as purplish amoeba-like things with a tangle of feelers morphed into intensely-colorful creatures. These were frightening, writhing chimeras and other mind-boggling bio-oddities of a demented (er… creative) mind. Were these some kind of “Saucer Wisdom” inspired piezoplastic receivers transmitted from Adam’s thought-forms, or had he simply recorded one of his favorite nightmares?

(Had one of the band members themselves appeared in the video, I would have checked to see if any hair was blowing in the wind – just one of several tell-tale signs of a recorded dream.) Either way, how amazing were the images! (Cooler than watching a night janitor at McDonalds on fully charged quantum dot batteries in the flicker of strobe lights).

As I continued to observe the bedizening mental cartoons – snippets of some intricately detailed hyper-animation - I noticed that the guy wearing the Tool shirt was NOW accompanied by band-member semblances (decoy band-member semblances, I wondered?) Recognizing me, the Danny ‘semblance’ raised a half-full polyglass of some glittering black eagletail. As I was about to acknowledge this wonderful example of encrypted electromagnetic vibrations, I quickly found myself back at the Ralphs of November, 2011 e.v. And guess what happened next? You guessed it. I’ve heard of MIB types attempting to eat their green Jell-o with a straw, or even sticking a fork into a glass of Dr. Pepper. Hell, I’ve even seen one of the black hat boojums pay for a Whopper at Burger King with a handful of gleaming silver dollars – not to mention the dude who ordered a “Coke and Olives” at my neighborhood pub. But what this MIB-type did was really a dead giveaway. How so? Well, while at the checkout counter, along with his groceries, ‘he’ PURCHASED (there on the spot) Ralphs gift cards for $20.00 each (PLUS activation fees), which he wanted to use to pay for everything. Noticing the puzzled look on the cashier’s face, I quickly left my stuff on the counter and hurried out of the place… wanting desperately to get back to my enchanted green ball… I mean, to my apartment…

Finally, to address all those Tool tour rumors. A few days ago, I met with the band’s management in order to discuss this very thing. Although I wasn’t sure if there was any validity to the rumors, I nevertheless told their manager that a small winter tour might not be such a bad thing. However, given my age, I didn’t think that I’d be able to attend too many shows as a guest (at least, I wouldn’t be able to attend them with the same vigor that I used to). I certainly didn’t want to travel on the tour bus, as the bunks hurt my back. Also, my excessive snoring might keep some of the early riser band members awake at night (particularly Danny and Justin). And then there’s the issue of the bad weather – both here and in Europe. Some dates in Australia would be okay, but with the recent discovery of an albino trapdoor spider in the land DownUnder, I’d have to rule that out, too. Perhaps some shows in the southern states might be best. Maybe even Texas? How about just a show or two right here in Los Angeles? That would certainly make things easier for me. I might even be able to party like I used to in the good old touring days. Better yet, still, what about an electromagnetic radiation transmitted (as theorized by Rudy Rucker, among others) – reconstituted/manifested Tool concert (including personality wave guests with all-access laminates) anywhere on the entire planet? Now, that would be great!.. Especially with those programmable display tee-shirts available at the Merch booth…

HAPPY TRAILS

BLAIR
JUSTIN
DANNY
MAYNARD
ADAM
Don't know where you live, but if your ever in Berkeley, dinner's on me.  Thanks man!!!

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #179 on: December 01, 2011, 06:14:11 PM »
Am I the only person who finds every fucking newsletter extremely hard to follow and am immediately disinterested? It happens every god damn time too.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #180 on: December 01, 2011, 06:15:33 PM »
The mystique stopped being cool a long time ago, yeah.

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #181 on: December 01, 2011, 06:39:07 PM »
The only thing longer than that news letter is the time span between records.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #182 on: December 01, 2011, 07:15:03 PM »
Am I the only person who finds every fucking newsletter extremely hard to follow and am immediately disinterested? It happens every god damn time too.

Totally agree

and Totally agree

Its getting really old and even though I'm a huge Tool fan, I took one look at it and didn't ever bother reading it. Its even hard to skim. I don't even like going on Tool's website, because of stuff like that.

Offline adace

« Reply #183 on: December 01, 2011, 07:56:42 PM »
The guy who writes it is just an a-hole who gets a kick out of pissing off Tool fans with irrelevant BS and weird tangents. Seriously, no other band's news section is like this.

Offline adace

« Reply #184 on: December 01, 2011, 08:28:30 PM »
Update: Even Blabbermouth had a hard time figuring out what the guy was rambling on about. Now it appears it's Danny's band Volto that's recording and not Tool. If I were him, I wouldn't waste my time doing anything in that band when Tool haven't released new material in quite a long time. Same thing for Maynard and Puscifer. Anyway, here's the updated story:
https://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=166732&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #185 on: December 01, 2011, 10:12:38 PM »
Just shut the fuck up and make a new album.
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #186 on: December 01, 2011, 10:17:56 PM »
Just shut the fuck up and make a new album.
This, JUST BRRRRING OUT SUM NEW TOOL EFFING TOOL ALREADY

And interpreting the message... Some guys started recording. And some stuff about Volto and dinosaurs.

Entranced by the dude’s shirt, I watched as purplish amoeba-like things with a tangle of feelers morphed into intensely-colorful creatures. These were frightening, writhing chimeras and other mind-boggling bio-oddities of a demented (er… creative) mind. Were these some kind of “Saucer Wisdom” inspired piezoplastic receivers transmitted from Adam’s thought-forms, or had he simply recorded one of his favorite nightmares?
wat
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 10:24:20 PM by LCArenas »

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #187 on: December 02, 2011, 01:51:39 AM »
Man, I want the new album so bad. I understand that they take their time to craft great records, but goddamn! hurry up!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #188 on: December 10, 2011, 11:45:57 PM »
Apparently 2 dates popped up and disappeared on ticketmaster. They were Tucson 1/17/12 and Albuquerque 1/18/12.  Tickets onsale 12/16/11. If true I'm going
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #189 on: December 10, 2011, 11:57:07 PM »
Probably just vineyard tours.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #190 on: December 11, 2011, 11:01:47 AM »

Totally agree

and Totally agree

Its getting really old and even though I'm a huge Tool fan, I took one look at it and didn't ever bother reading it. Its even hard to skim. I don't even like going on Tool's website, because of stuff like that.

I don't pay attention to any Tool news anymore, when the album is out, I'll check it out.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #191 on: December 12, 2011, 11:28:11 AM »
Apparently it is true. I just got a radio stations email saying they're coming here. I am happy, I missed them once and they played Third Eye, not gonna miss them this time
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ACID_FOX

« Reply #192 on: December 12, 2011, 11:43:28 AM »

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #193 on: December 12, 2011, 12:52:42 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QF7g_6D-5U&feature=related

Mind = Blown

You should check the videos I posted on the previous page. I have the whole Lateralus/Orion performance, plus a few other songs.

Offline ACID_FOX

« Reply #194 on: December 12, 2011, 01:09:19 PM »
Ah sorry, didn't realise it was old news. Still blew me away though, never in a thousand years would I expect anything like that from Tool.

Offline Metal

« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 02:13:50 PM by Metal »
Don't know where you live, but if your ever in Berkeley, dinner's on me.  Thanks man!!!

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #196 on: December 12, 2011, 03:30:57 PM »
Ah sorry, didn't realise it was old news. Still blew me away though, never in a thousand years would I expect anything like that from Tool.
Not that old of news. Not many knew that Tool toured early this year. Also this is not the first time Kirk jumps on stage with them. Back in '06 he played Sober with them.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #197 on: December 12, 2011, 05:54:03 PM »
Was he drunk this time ? :D :biggrin:

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #198 on: December 12, 2011, 07:47:03 PM »
Was he drunk this time ? :D :biggrin:
Hahaha! I remember that was the rumor because apparently he played terribly. I missed out because in '06 they did two shows on a Friday and a Saturday. Kirk played on the Friday show and I had tickets for Saturday.

Both shows we're awesome I enjoyed the 06 show more because I was still on the 10k days new album high during that time.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #199 on: December 13, 2011, 09:57:16 AM »

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #200 on: December 13, 2011, 12:16:34 PM »
I laughed

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #201 on: December 13, 2011, 12:33:48 PM »
Oh snap!  :facepalm:

Offline Elsydeon

« Reply #202 on: December 13, 2011, 03:10:36 PM »
https://www.guitarworld.com/tool-planning-winter-tour-2012

1/14 Reno, NV – Reno Events Center
1/15 Las Vegas, NV – Mandalay Bay Events Center
1/17 Tucson, AZ – Tucson Arena
1/18 Albuquerque, NM – Tingley Coliseum
1/20 Grand Prairie, TX – Verizon Theatre
1/24 Toledo, OH – Huntington Center
1/25 Toronto, ON – Air Canada Centre
1/26 London, ON – John Labatt Centre
1/28 Boston, MA – TD Garden
1/29 Camden, NJ – Susquehanna Bank Center
1/31 Uncasville, CT – Mohegan Sun Arena
2/8 Duluth, GA – Gwinnett Arena

So far. I'm hitting up the CT show, finally I get to see one of their shows!

Offline Metal

« Reply #203 on: December 13, 2011, 03:32:07 PM »
This page needs a photo:

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #204 on: December 13, 2011, 04:40:10 PM »
https://www.guitarworld.com/tool-planning-winter-tour-2012

1/14 Reno, NV – Reno Events Center
1/15 Las Vegas, NV – Mandalay Bay Events Center
1/17 Tucson, AZ – Tucson Arena
1/18 Albuquerque, NM – Tingley Coliseum
1/20 Grand Prairie, TX – Verizon Theatre
1/24 Toledo, OH – Huntington Center
1/25 Toronto, ON – Air Canada Centre
1/26 London, ON – John Labatt Centre
1/28 Boston, MA – TD Garden
1/29 Camden, NJ – Susquehanna Bank Center
1/31 Uncasville, CT – Mohegan Sun Arena
2/8 Duluth, GA – Gwinnett Arena

So far. I'm hitting up the CT show, finally I get to see one of their shows!

I will be at the Philly show. This will be my first time.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #205 on: December 13, 2011, 10:23:34 PM »
Man, I wish they'd throw in a Chicago date. I wanna see them again real bad. You guys are gonna experience quite a show!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #206 on: December 13, 2011, 10:35:34 PM »
I'm guessing a repeat of their last tour.  Maybe one or two songs swapped out.  I'm also guessing it'll be one of those going-through-the-motions tours for Maynard.  I'd say a lesser version of what we've already seen.  I'll still be there, though. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #207 on: December 14, 2011, 10:35:33 AM »
  I'm also guessing it'll be one of those going-through-the-motions tours for Maynard.  I'd say a lesser version of what we've already seen.   

I was thinking a lot about this too.  If he phones this in, I'm really going to be disappointed, but I'm still going to be optimistic.

Sometimes I feel like MJK looks at Tool the way that Devin Townsend looks at Strapping Young Lad. Like he's grown out of his Tool phase and wants to pursue newer musical directions, such as Puscifer.

Its like every single MJK or Devin Townsend interview, they are asked a million times about Tool or Strapping and they both respond as if they have moved on.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #208 on: December 14, 2011, 10:38:57 AM »
I don't quite get it with MJK, as I see it.. he would almost be a nobody without Tool.

Don't get me wrong, I think he's a talented dude who fits perfectly into Tool, and I would be sad if he left.
However, in comparison to Devin Townsend, I think Devy could do pretty much whatever he wants to, maybe some of the fame he got with SYL made it easier for him to do what he wanted with his solo-stuff, but he's skilled enough (as a guitarist, songwriter and singer) to do pretty much everything.
With MJK I feel that he is more limited, he does write some great lyrics, but most of the other members in Tool write the badass music itself, and I haven't been able to find MJK's other work that interesting.

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #209 on: December 14, 2011, 11:22:47 AM »
I don't quite get it with MJK, as I see it.. he would almost be a nobody without Tool.

Don't get me wrong, I think he's a talented dude who fits perfectly into Tool, and I would be sad if he left.
However, in comparison to Devin Townsend, I think Devy could do pretty much whatever he wants to, maybe some of the fame he got with SYL made it easier for him to do what he wanted with his solo-stuff, but he's skilled enough (as a guitarist, songwriter and singer) to do pretty much everything.
With MJK I feel that he is more limited, he does write some great lyrics, but most of the other members in Tool write the badass music itself, and I haven't been able to find MJK's other work that interesting.

Dude, Maynard essentially is Tool! They might write the music but it's the lyrics and the ridiculous, unique vocal performances that make them stand out imo.