Author Topic: THE Tool Thread  (Read 86166 times)

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
THE Tool Thread
« on: November 28, 2010, 04:22:59 PM »
I know there are a few rogue Tool threads about certain albums including the future one, but I figured I'd make a definitive thread akin to the "THE" threads.

Alright so I just got my copy of Lateralus in the mail and I'm really excited to finally own a physical copy because the packaging is awesome. Also, there's a huge new entry on Tool's website with a nice question and answer e-mail type-up that confirms a 2011 United States East Coast tour!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's the whole thing:

Quote from: ToolBand.com
For the past couple of weeks several of the band members have been tirelessly jamming, writing and arranging new music for a forthcoming album (as Maynard finishes up the current APC tour and tends to certain zymurgical pursuits). Contrary to any rumors that might be circulating out there, Adam has not been in England for several weeks hunting pheasant, grouse, partridge, guinea fowl, woodcock, common snipe or any other commonly hunted galliformes. Forget about what you read in the "Upland Journal" - he hasn't been slogging through the pine-clad dales of Yorkshire, nor with shotgun in hand in the mist-enshrouded reed-beds of Cornwall, seeking his quarry. There are no castle hotels, flushing dogs, or unpredictable weather. Thanks to a battery-powered hypnobioscope (a truly remarkable device that I found at a flee-market in Pacoima!), I also know that he's currently not over in Merry Ole investigating Stonehenge, woolly rhinos, or hoaxing agro-glyphs for future comic book issues. Nor has he been studying oil painting and climbing Big Ben whilst eating a McDonald's Big Mac. Same goes for learning the proper way of eating a Mcvities' biscuit, or the buttery goodness of any Hobnobs, shortbread or Tim Tams with his cup of Earl Grey in the warmth of an ensorcelled peat fire in some rustic country house. If you saw someone who looked like Adam sipping ale served by grey-bobbed fustilugs in pubs with names like "The Three-Legged Mare", "Bucket of Blood", "Slug and Lettuce" or "The Hairy Lemon", it wasn't Tool's guitarist. So don't email me about him checking out the crinkum-crankum in any British pub with its real ale, good food, strange, cheerful staff and a very nice cat. No, like I've said - he's been working with his nanoguitar on a complex piece of music whose working title is "Floccinaucinihilipilification." Likewise, take it from this fanfaron that Danny hasn't been going to Lakers home games in his orange Lambo, flying in Gates' burnt-ends for Sunday K.C. Chiefs games (in some futile alexipharmic hope!), attending meetings with Evil Joe Barresi about a possible Volto recording project, purchasing a ribbon-controller and other vintage trifles for his modular monstrosities, nor engaging in strange mesonoxian rituals. As with Adam, the Tool drummer has been focusing all his energy on the new Tool material. Ditto for Justin. Forget anything you've heard about his renting out the SilverLake Cha Cha Lounge for a private party celebrating his 40th birthday, attempting to get forty of his friends to skydive (only to be cancelled due to bad weather conditions... and certain mesonoxian rituals on my part) or refurbishing a 17th-century sailing vessel. As sure as the retrieved Roswell saucer is hidden in an old Tootsie Roll factory in New Jersey, no tequila shots katzenjammer is going to keep him from developing those innovative bass parts!

Q: "Blair, this is a TOOL website right? Well how about actually posting something TOOL related...anything would be nice. I mean I know Maynard makes wine and that's great and all but, what's going on with the band? Shit man, make something up if you have to, but people in New Orleans can't very well drive to Cali to see VOLTO or go to a wine signing so please, give us some news! Sincerely, Joseph."

A: From what I've been told, the band is planning on doing a 'secret' concert really soon in New Orleans. This is going to be a massive production with a horizontal holographic surround sound system based on the two-dimensional Fourier transform (or something like that). Besides the digitally created phase inversion of sonic holography, there will be lighting effects that include Fairchild plasma optoelectronics and the most advanced (legal) liquid-nitrogen-cooled multicolored laser system available - all of which will be filmed for a live DVD. Supposedly, the set list for this three-hour extravaganza will include MANY songs that the band hasn't played in years, including the "Lateralus" album in its entirety. Additionally, some of the guest performers include Robert Fripp, Jimmy Page, Terry Bossio, Tori Amos, and, of course, Harry Connick Jr. During the encore (a zydeco-rendition of "Hooker With A Penis"), Danny will summon Marie Laveau from the dead in order to reveal true 13 Phase Unity Merkaba Lightbody Activation (thus doing away with the need for any backstage passes!). After the show, as a tribute to all their fans in NOLA, the band will throw a spectacular backstage party, with tuxedoed and top-hatted zombies serving complimentary Dixie Beer, shots of absinthe, and iced champagne laced with Gib's "Bottled Hell." There will also be plenty of special Tool JAMBALAYA, red beans & rice, Jujube-studded flaming Bananas Foster and glittering Beignets! Volto! to support. And when it's all over, in order to keep the live DVD under wraps, all those in attendance will be zapped by a memory-erasing device (Acme Neuralyzer) that was borrowed from Level 7 of the underground facility at Archuleta Mesa in Dulce, New Mexico. Therefore, Joseph, it might be that you've already saw the show of all Tool shows. Even met the band members! Might that explain those Jujubes in your pocket?

Q: "Hello, I would like to know if Tool plans to go on another tour sometime soon? My boyfriend and I live in Virginia and he LOVES Tool! Tool is the only band he will go see in concert. He is one of the Best guys in the world who like many has had a bad year due to lack of work. I would love to surprise him with the opportunity to go to one of your shows and have been checking your site off and on for the past year. Everything has been out west and beyond. I hope you can respond back with good news. I look forward to hearing back from you."

A: Although I don't have any specific details, look for some American tour dates in 2011. East coast venues (possibly including Virginia) are a good possibility.

Q: "Is it a possibility that there will be posters with Adams artwork available at the Australian concerts? Cheers, Matt."

A: Yes, I would expect to see them at the merch booths for each venue. There might also be some left over SIGNED 2010 WEST COAST/CANADA TOUR POSTERS (and shirts) for sale as specialty items in the TOOLARMY SHOPPING BAZAAR in the near future.

Q: "Hello. Are you guys ever coming to San Antonio? That would really make my day! huh.... I guess I'm your youngest fan since I'm fourteen."

A: As a card-carrying member of "The Benevolent Order of Armadillos", I believe that they will (SOMEDAY), although hopefully by then the San Antonio "curse" will be lifted without further banishing rites, etc.

Q: "Will the band be releasing and official vinyl version of "10,000 Days" at all? And would they consider doing a re-issue of "Aenima" on vinyl for those of us who can't afford an original?"

A: I don't know about Aenima, but I'm fairly certain that "10,000 Days" vinyl will be released soon - this because I've recently seen some test-pressings at Danny's manse.

Q: "Hello! My name is ********* and I am enquiring about an all access pass to either Big Day Out Gold Coast on Jan 23rd or Brisbane Entertainment Centre on Jan 24th. I truly know how bloody cheeky this sounds, I actually feel quite bad about enquiring in the first place, but there is a valid reason. I'm not simply a die-hard who wants to meet the band (although I can't rule myself out of that category, either!). I have a ticket already to both of these events (albeit crappy ones). I will however, be 37 weeks pregnant (less than 3 weeks from popping), and can't bear the thought of missing out on the shows while the guys are in Oz. Big Day Out is going to be an interesting scenario because it is exactly that... a HUGE day out, sweltering sun, and no seating. Perfect for a woman the size of a house and about to bust at the guts. My ticket to the entertainment centre is in a silver reserved seat (only took 15 mins for the gold reserved to sell out while I was waiting patiently in line), and is up a MILLION flights of stairs. Again, perfect for the fatty. I'm not even sure who I should be contacting about this issue... but you seemed a good first try. Perhaps you can point me in the right direction? Again, I know I'm being cheeky, but it's worth asking in any case."

A: Banged up, by Jingo! Sounds like someone cracked a fat without a franger. Well, that's wonderful, dear! Nothing like ankle bitters and carpet grubs. Little nipper's gonna be a great croc hunter, I reckon. Though I'm currently busier than a one-armed taxi driver with crabs, here's what I suggest. Once you enter the BDO, with all those bloody yobbos and gutfuls of piss in your way, hoof it - flat out like a lizard drinking - towards the main stage area. Because it's right hot, be sure to take a breather at the first billabong (no worries about that bunyip - it's not as aggro as you've been told). Continue on, watching out for salties, dingos and such... The mozzies and kookas will be bad, but it's the same for every bastard and his dog. Once you've reached the third humpy, sneak around the first jumbuck acting the raw prawn (that's security, but there's no need to fart a crowbar) until you see a fella there with a face like a festered pickle in a brown Akubra. (He'll probably also be wearing a necklace of shark's teeth and other Aussie foofaraw.) Ask him to take you back to where the ambos, garbos, kangas, and divvy vans are parked. Back where the barbies are smoking shrimp for the band and crew. Here, the stage manager should be obvious as a pimple on a pumpkin. He's the fellow buzzing around like a blue-arsed fly. Tell him that your mate, BMB, sent you, and Bob's your uncle! He should be able to give you a seat that fits like a honeymoon cock.

HAPPY TRAILS
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 04:57:36 PM by Birch Boy »

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
Re: THE Tool Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 04:52:08 PM »
2011 United States East Coast tour[/size]!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :victorydance:
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 08:27:23 PM »
I would like to go for the show itself, but I doubt I would be able to go.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 08:28:32 PM »
ok...BUT

Tool in reverse = nearly "lol" so huh

Offline Space Invader

• The Canadian Doctor Who Fanatic
  • DTF.org Member
  • Also recently addicted to Survivor
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 08:45:43 PM »
I would fly to Boston or New York to see Tool.
:caffeine:
Everything can, should and will be progressive.

"The only thing that is certain is that nothing is certain" - Montaigne.

I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street over maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez - Eleventh Doctor

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 09:00:29 PM »
2011 United States East Coast tour[/size]!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :victorydance:

Quote from: ToolBand.com
Q: "Hello, I would like to know if Tool plans to go on another tour sometime soon? My boyfriend and I live in Virginia and he LOVES Tool! Tool is the only band he will go see in concert. He is one of the Best guys in the world who like many has had a bad year due to lack of work. I would love to surprise him with the opportunity to go to one of your shows and have been checking your site off and on for the past year. Everything has been out west and beyond. I hope you can respond back with good news. I look forward to hearing back from you."

A: Although I don't have any specific details, look for some American tour dates in 2011. East coast venues (possibly including Virginia) are a good possibility.
You have a girlfriend Ryan?

:neverusethis:

Also, I'm listening to Lateralus right now.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 09:05:02 PM »
Nope, no girlfriend. If I had a girlfriend that like Tool, DTF would probably hear about it. :lol
I AM A GUY
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 09:09:56 PM »
My moms favourite band is Tool.  ;D

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 03:46:35 AM »
The only downside with Tool is that it takes 5 years to make an album.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 09:17:27 AM »
Honestly, I don't mind that. 4 strong albums > 10 mediocre ones. They can take all the time they want because they've delivered all 4 times. Makes it that much more special when a new album finally comes out. I would hate for every band to operate like Tool does in terms of making new music, but for some reason I like that Tool has a small discography.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 09:23:45 AM »
Gadough wins again.
I AM A GUY

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 09:24:40 AM »
The only downside with Tool is that it takes 5 years to make an album.
Downside? Nah. They have a method to their madness. I'd rather get a master piece every once in a while instead of an average album every year or two.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2010, 09:30:43 AM »
New Tool fan signing in here. Listened to Undertow and Lateralus and thoroughly enjoyed both. Getting into Aenima slowly. I just gotta say, Lateralus is such a tight album with a lot of contents. 78 minutes of musical bliss. Undertow is highly enjoyable too.

My favorite songs are The Grudge, Lateralus, Prison Sex, Sober, Eulogy, Vicarious, and Parabol/Parabola.

Also, Schism is overrated.
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2010, 09:45:37 AM »
I tend to forgot how amazing Lateralus is if I don't listen to it for a while, but then when I do I always  :o at it by the end of The Grudge, and then throughout. Perfect album imo.

AND WHAT NO UK TOUR GRAAAAGH  >:(

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2010, 09:46:45 AM »
The main riff in Schism is one of my favorite things ever.
I AM A GUY

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2010, 10:00:37 AM »
The 'cold silence' bit is not only one of my favourite lyrics ever, but probably my favourite Maynard vocal moment, which I'm now going to rank for no good reason.  :P

1. 'cold silence'
2. The Grudge scream
3. Right In Two choruses
4. End scream in Eulogy
5. VIIIIICARIOUSLY IIIIIIIIIIIIIII

I :heart Maynard.

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2010, 10:15:51 AM »
i guess i will go when they come to new york. no big deal.
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2010, 10:53:51 AM »
Well, personally i feel like Tool making an album is taking longer then it should.
Normally i don't care much about time, but when you see a lot of other groups you like, releasing albums more frequently (that are still very high standard), it just feels very long with 5 years between albums.
I'm not sure how to put it in the right way, because i don't want it to sound wrong but...
Even though i like Tool, i've always felt that they aren't very productive, and even though the result is great (both Lateralus and 10k days are fantastic).

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2010, 08:52:58 PM »
The only downside with Tool is that it takes 10 years to make an album.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2010, 09:24:22 PM »
Tool's upside >>>>>>>> Their downside
I AM A GUY

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2010, 03:45:22 AM »
Well, it all depends on how good the next album will be IMO.
I'm still a bit shattered towards 10 000 days, Lateralus still remains their huge masterpiece, meanwhile i've never cared for Aenima or Undertow.
I know a lot of you praise Aenima, but i don't enjoy the vocals being buried under instrumental-parts i don't enjoy. :P
A good example of this would be Stinkfist, which i don't find anything good at all in, even though i can agree that the live-version was slightly better.
So looking at it from my PoV (only REALLY digging Lateralus in fully), 5 years between albums is a long time if you don't enjoy much of the stuff.
For those of you digging all of the discography, i totally get if you find a decade between albums worth it. :>

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2010, 06:31:29 AM »
I seriously think Tool would still be one of my top bands if they'd only ever released either Aenima or Lateralus so I can't really comment.  :lol

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2010, 06:37:29 AM »
Wouldn't a better name for this be 'The Tool Shed'?

:neverusethis:
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2010, 07:01:02 AM »
That actually is the name of their fansite.  :lol

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2010, 03:02:18 PM »
Dropping by to say that Lateralus is one of the best albums ever. Every 'big' (non interlude) song is awesome. And the interlude/suite ones really flow well together. "Faaip De Oaid" scared the SHIT out of me when I first heard it in the dark in the middle of the night with my back turned to an open ground-level window.

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2010, 03:05:48 PM »
I'd say Lateralus is the best album ever. Once that hoover or whatever it is kicks in at the start of The Grudge, it's like a mental cue to put yourself in a different state of mind, and then by the time you're at 'Faaip De Oiad' you're basically in a trance. I haven't had a full listen through in months, I'm saving it for when I can listen to the vinyl LOUDLY.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2010, 03:09:04 PM »
It's definitely in my top 5 albums, maybe top 3. I love it.
I AM A GUY

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2010, 03:10:39 PM »
Oh wait actually, it's been surpassed in my favourite albums by any DMB one, remember Letters? :neverusethis:

But yeah, I think Aenima might be at the point where they're almost interchangeable as my top album now, it took forever to grow on me but now it's every bit Lateralus' equal, I just slightly prefer the mix/progginess of Lateralus.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2010, 03:16:01 PM »
Oh wait actually, it's been surpassed in my favourite albums by any DMB one, remember Letters? :neverusethis:
:yeahright
I AM A GUY

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2010, 03:22:07 PM »
My interpretation of Lateralus is that it's about the trials and tribulations of a DMT (or any spiritual/hallucinogenic experience) trip (since Tool looooves DMT... they even hired an artist who's passion is DMT). All the lyrics seem to point to letting yourself go ("We'll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been," "Twirling round with this familiar parable. Spinning, weaving round each new experience. Recognize this as a holy gift and celebrate this chance to be alive and breathing," "And as I pull my head out I am without one doubt. You wanna peer down here survey my narcissism I must crucify the ego before it's far too late. I pray the light lifts me out
Before I pine away."). All of those lyrics represent a trip; the loss of ego that people feel when they experience drugs like DMT and LSD that make them better people, and the confusion that the light lifts them out of, and obviously the going where no one's been part is drug-related. And the opening lyrics to "Lateralus" I believe is related to the birth ("Black and white are all I see in my infancy") and the "Red and yellow then came to be, reaching out to me, lets me see" part is related to the DMT experience and how it opens your world and lets you see previously unkown things.

Or something like that.

EDIT: For more evidence, see: artwork:

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2010, 03:29:17 PM »
I suppose based on the band writing those songs it's more likely about drugs, but I always interpreted it as being more about a general kind of transcendentalism.

Like with the title track, I always though the 'going where noone's been' was just about an altered state of consciousness, not necessarily through drugs, and the spiralling out just seems like a furthering of our knowledge/understanding of the universe to me. I think I read somewhere that Maynard said the whole colours theme was to do with North American Aboriginals as well, but I'm not sure. But again, it's more likely about drugs.  :lol

[/pretension]

And yeah, Alex Grey's art is really amazing on Lateralus especially.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2010, 03:29:38 PM »
Aenima is in my top 5 albums of all time.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2010, 03:30:53 PM »

Not Lateralus? (I'd not disagree with you at all if this was the case anyway, Aenima is as good if not better)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2010, 04:17:22 PM »

Not Lateralus? (I'd not disagree with you at all if this was the case anyway, Aenima is as good if not better)

Nope.  Aenima >>>> Lateralus
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2010, 03:16:16 PM »
My interpretation of Lateralus is that it's about the trials and tribulations of a DMT (or any spiritual/hallucinogenic experience) trip (since Tool looooves DMT... they even hired an artist who's passion is DMT). All the lyrics seem to point to letting yourself go ("We'll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been," "Twirling round with this familiar parable. Spinning, weaving round each new experience. Recognize this as a holy gift and celebrate this chance to be alive and breathing," "And as I pull my head out I am without one doubt. You wanna peer down here survey my narcissism I must crucify the ego before it's far too late. I pray the light lifts me out
Before I pine away."). All of those lyrics represent a trip; the loss of ego that people feel when they experience drugs like DMT and LSD that make them better people, and the confusion that the light lifts them out of, and obviously the going where no one's been part is drug-related. And the opening lyrics to "Lateralus" I believe is related to the birth ("Black and white are all I see in my infancy") and the "Red and yellow then came to be, reaching out to me, lets me see" part is related to the DMT experience and how it opens your world and lets you see previously unkown things.

Or something like that.

EDIT: For more evidence, see: artwork:

I agree with you. Some things just seem to be about life in general, how their is more than we can see/imagine. It's like a relationship, not with your significant other, but with yourself, or that relationship with the world, life, love in general.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD