Author Topic: The Official Flying Colors Thread  (Read 383802 times)

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
Re: Flying Colors: Morse + Morse + Portnoy + LaRue + McPherson project
« Reply #2170 on: October 17, 2014, 02:50:14 PM »
Cosmic symphony packs more substance into eleven minutes than the two latest Transatlantic epics do in 20+ minutes.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 06:48:43 PM by Mosh »
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2171 on: October 17, 2014, 02:52:10 PM »
Cosmic symphony packs more substance into eleven minutes than the two latest Transatlantic epics do in 20+ minus.
I agree.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2172 on: October 17, 2014, 05:28:02 PM »
I watched a bit of the Track-By-Track Commentary by the band on the DVD and I think Casey said the working title for the track was "Cheese Whiz", and so they kept the title in the lyrics when it came time to write them.

-Marc.

I still need to watch this and the two Rothery DVDs. Maybe this weekend.

Hopefully my opinion of it might improve after watching the commentary.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2173 on: October 17, 2014, 06:22:20 PM »
Cosmic symphony packs more substance into eleven minutes than the two latest Transatlantic epics do in 20+ minus.
I agree.

I agree as well, if only because when I listened to it a week ago, I remember thinking "This sounds like this could go on a LOT longer", like the beginning and the middle portions, expecting them to take a twist and extend the instrumental parts a bit more, throw in a keyboard/synth solo, another reprise of the vocals, etc. etc. - all of the things Neal loves to do.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE all of Transatlantic's albums and songs, but I do hear the intensity in "Cosmic Symphony" and how it's got the packed punch that TA's epics (and prog epics in general) tend to have in a 20-25 minute time span whilst only being less than 12 minutes. I am glad they were able to write in such a way that condenses their musical prowess from 15-25 minute pieces into something just under 12 minutes. It's like Prog-Concentrate.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Mosh

« Reply #2174 on: October 17, 2014, 07:03:32 PM »
I agree.

I agree as well, if only because when I listened to it a week ago, I remember thinking "This sounds like this could go on a LOT longer", like the beginning and the middle portions, expecting them to take a twist and extend the instrumental parts a bit more, throw in a keyboard/synth solo, another reprise of the vocals, etc. etc. - all of the things Neal loves to do
I'm glad they didn't do that. Those tricks got old years ago. At least in Transatlantic you get Roine and Pete's input (as well as MP's arrangements) that make it refreshing. I felt the same way about Infinite Fire actually, but to a lesser extent, because that wasn't structured as a 3 part epic like Cosmic is. This is taking it to the next level.

I wonder if this "Prog-Concentrate" is starting to become a trend in the prog world. The big example around here is going to be Dream Theater who put out a really concise album. But also when thinking of some of my favorite prog bands' recent releases (Haken, Yes, Opeth, Moon Safari, Spock's Beard, etc.). They're all doing shorter songs than before in some way or another. It's a well welcomed change, some bands weren't writing long songs very well anymore. Hopefully Neal Morse's new solo CD will be in this direction too.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2175 on: October 17, 2014, 09:43:18 PM »
Hopefully Neal Morse's new solo CD will be in this direction too.

IIRC, Randy was posting in-the-studio updates on Facebook (as he does), and the (new) band (that is, Neal, Randy, Mike, Bill Hubauer, and Eric Gillette) had written a 30-minute epic by Neal with Eric's parts/input, a "funky" song Bill brought in, another Neal song with Mike's "interesting" direction, a piece by Bill titled "Waterfall", and some stuff they demoed last November. All in all, Randy stated they had 9 solid songs to work with (one big epic, 7 shorter-than-you'd-expect songs, and 1 cover that is something from 1968 that we'd never expect them to do), but they "settled on 7 songs of the 9 that were on the table. We would do all 9 but the 7 add up to about 70 minutes or so. The verdict is still out on whether or not there will be a bonus disc."

So it seems we'll get another album akin to Lifeline and Momentum - one huge epic taking up almost half the album, 6 shorter songs with one being an unusual cover. I hope it's got some V and Beware Of Darkness vibes to it.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Mosh

« Reply #2176 on: October 17, 2014, 10:21:16 PM »
I'm actually a little conflicted with Morse solo as far as epics go. As much as I don't get excited by his epics anymore, they're still highly enjoyable and always the highlights of his albums. The shorter songs are usually disappointments in comparison, almost like an afterthought. I wish he'd just break up his epics and build really strong individual songs with them and make that the album.  :lol

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2177 on: October 20, 2014, 12:41:34 PM »
"Suckin' on his pipe" and "Finger lickin' good" are terrible lyrics, but "snackin' on cheeze whiz" is alright?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2178 on: October 20, 2014, 12:50:34 PM »
It's all about context.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #2179 on: October 20, 2014, 01:01:41 PM »
I've given this album a couple more listens and I gotta say, on the whole, it's pretty alright. I wouldn't call it great though. I think it starts to really slack right around the middle for me and loses a lot of my interest. I like A Place in Your World, but some of the tracks surrounding it just aren't memorable. That being said, the first three songs are all fantastic, as well as the last two. Peaceful Harbor especially. Wow. That's as close to a 10/10 track as it gets. :hefdaddy

I really don't mind the Neal Morse-style prog on Open Up Your Eyes considering they don't really mess with that sound too much for the remainder of the album. It's a great song regardless. My top 5 songs here are gonna have to be:

1. Peaceful Harbor
2. Open Up Your Eyes
3. Cosmic Symphony
4. Bombs Away
5. Mask Machine

It feels like the real bulk of the album is in beginning and end. I'd go back to it though, there's lots of great stuff to be had.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2180 on: October 20, 2014, 01:19:10 PM »
It's been awhile since i've done a Survivor here on DTF, so I was wondering if anyone would participate in a Flying Colors Survivor? I did the first album a couple years ago when it came out, and these were the results back then:
1. Blue Ocean
2. Infinite Fire
3. Kayla
4. The Storm
5. Forever In A Daze
6. Love Is What I'm Waiting For
7. Everything Changes
8. Fool In My Heart
9. Better Than Walking Away
10. All Falls Down
11. Shoulda Coulda Woulda

I had about 25-30 voters each round, which was great! I love when participation is high in survivors as it makes for some more accurate results in relation to fans on the board.

It's been over a month since the album came out, so I figured we've all had plenty of time to absorb the album, but even then, if I start the Survivor this week, it'll still be another week or two before we get to the 2nd album, then the Finals.

Anyone here up for it? If there's a lot of response for it by the end of the day, I'll start it tonight!

-Marc.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2181 on: October 20, 2014, 01:43:33 PM »
I don't believe it! I'm listening to Second Nature right now, and I was just thinking of what songs I would vote out first if this was done in a survivor! I'd definitely participate!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2182 on: October 20, 2014, 02:39:04 PM »
Yeah, I'm in.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #2183 on: October 20, 2014, 04:22:04 PM »
Totally!
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2184 on: October 20, 2014, 04:40:14 PM »
In.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2185 on: October 20, 2014, 05:29:33 PM »
Four responses in less than three hours, so I went ahead and started the survivor up. First round will be up for three days!

-Marc.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #2186 on: October 20, 2014, 05:35:31 PM »
Four responses in less than three hours, so I went ahead and started the survivor up. First round will be up for three days!

-Marc.
:tup This be fun

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2187 on: October 20, 2014, 06:12:48 PM »
The more I look at last year's results, the more I realize they're actually fairly close to my own personal feelings on the album.  I mean, I would have to tweak the order quite a bit, but of my five favorite songs on the album, four of them made it to to the top five in the survivor.  Granted, my other favorite was eliminated very early, but still.  Not too bad overall. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2188 on: October 20, 2014, 06:21:26 PM »
It's all about context.

And that is?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2189 on: October 20, 2014, 10:05:19 PM »
I have no idea.  I never had a problem with any of those lyrics.  But if I did, it would be because of the context, not because the lyrics themselves are bad.  "Sucking on his pipe" for example is an expression I don't really care for, but I like the way he delivers the line.  You can make pretty anything work if you know how to deliver it.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #2190 on: October 20, 2014, 10:48:33 PM »
The cheese wiz thing doesn't bug me, mostly because I can barely understand the lyrics in those verses anyway.  :lol

Offline smegolas

« Reply #2191 on: October 21, 2014, 09:37:31 AM »

-Marc.

where is this going to be?  this thread or is there another one?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2192 on: October 21, 2014, 09:54:23 AM »

-Marc.

where is this going to be?  this thread or is there another one?

Check out my signature for links.

-Marc.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2193 on: October 24, 2014, 11:15:20 AM »
So yeah, I'm now loving The Fury of my Love.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2194 on: October 24, 2014, 11:17:03 AM »
Good song.  It is one of my early standouts as well.  I applaud your keen insight, sir.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2195 on: October 24, 2014, 11:19:42 AM »
Sir, the merest hint of the proposition that someone of your reknown may be somewhat associated with me fills me with a rich aplomb of welling emotion the likes of which, dare I say, are rarely seen, and heretofore unthinkable.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2196 on: October 24, 2014, 11:24:50 AM »
Not that this is necessarily the most appropriate response, and I fully understand that things have changed for the better in this regard when it comes to being more aware of our speech, but that disclaimer made, I can't help but think back to a time a few decades ago when, if you had said that to me, the response would be me calling you a slang term for homosexual, followed by us giving a quick bro-hug and high-five, laughing, and then striking off to go and find some worthwhile mischief.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2197 on: October 24, 2014, 11:33:49 AM »
Get a Mod room you too.

I'm on the verge of overplaying this album.  Loving it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2198 on: October 24, 2014, 11:34:01 AM »
*blows a kiss*

Offline Dream_Theater01

« Reply #2199 on: December 26, 2014, 11:26:12 AM »
I know their second album hasn't been out long...but I hope they keep making more albums.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 09:41:27 PM by Dream_Theater01 »

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #2200 on: December 26, 2014, 01:15:24 PM »
Wasn't really crazy about the first album, so I had pretty low expectations going into this one, but it's probably going to end up in my top 5 for 2014, maybe even in my top 3

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #2201 on: December 26, 2014, 01:27:23 PM »
While I think Second Nature is somewhat average (preferring the debut by a pretty decent margin), I'm still interesting in seeing what more they can do. As a group, they show lots of potential.

Offline Counselor of Prog

« Reply #2202 on: January 25, 2015, 12:59:23 PM »
All three FC discs are on the way.  :metal
"The only closed systems in the universe are hardened hearts and darkened minds." Scott Becker, Valley of the Shadow

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2203 on: August 04, 2015, 07:42:38 PM »
Bring on a third album! :tup :tup

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2204 on: August 05, 2015, 06:00:31 AM »
Bring on a third album! :tup :tup

Is this a wish or have there been news about a new album?
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants.