Author Topic: The Official Flying Colors Thread  (Read 385893 times)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
Re: Flying Colors: Morse + Morse + Portnoy + LaRue + McPherson project
« Reply #1750 on: July 29, 2014, 07:49:50 PM »
Looks like some decisions have to be made.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1751 on: July 29, 2014, 10:01:23 PM »
October 3rd = Yom Kippur. So much for my chances of seeing the Chicago show.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1752 on: July 29, 2014, 10:58:59 PM »
Really surprised they are playing the Philly area (Keswick) instead of NYC. Saw TA at that venue and loved it, and am looking forward to FC there.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #1753 on: July 30, 2014, 01:25:41 AM »
So I just got the CD from Mascot since it comes with the DVD, and I think the poster (right?). In total it was like 15 bucks. I'm also getting bonus tracks too according to the Mascot website:

As always we will include a free poster with each order.

But wait, that's not all! Each pre-order will include a free bonus DVD with behind the scenes footage, interviews and more, and we will send you MP3s of 2 bonus songs that are not available on the album**.

**The bonus tracks are being prepared by the band. As soon as we receive them, we will send everybody who pre-ordered the album a link to get these bonus MP3s.

Then in checkout, the product is listed as "Second Nature (+ Ltd. Bonus DVD)".

But then Radiant is offering the same price except you don't get the DVD, and only the first 200 get the poster?? So Mascot is giving me like an extra $35 worth of stuff?

This is way more confusing than it really should be but holy crap I'm excited for this album!

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #1754 on: July 30, 2014, 02:02:19 AM »
so excited about the CA show!  I hated missing them last time
 :metal

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1755 on: July 30, 2014, 06:44:08 AM »
So I just got the CD from Mascot since it comes with the DVD, and I think the poster (right?). In total it was like 15 bucks. I'm also getting bonus tracks too according to the Mascot website:

As always we will include a free poster with each order.

But wait, that's not all! Each pre-order will include a free bonus DVD with behind the scenes footage, interviews and more, and we will send you MP3s of 2 bonus songs that are not available on the album**.

**The bonus tracks are being prepared by the band. As soon as we receive them, we will send everybody who pre-ordered the album a link to get these bonus MP3s.

Then in checkout, the product is listed as "Second Nature (+ Ltd. Bonus DVD)".

But then Radiant is offering the same price except you don't get the DVD, and only the first 200 get the poster?? So Mascot is giving me like an extra $35 worth of stuff?

This is way more confusing than it really should be but holy crap I'm excited for this album!

The first 200 get a signed poster. After that you just get the bonus tracks. All and all the mascot deal is better if you aren't trying for the signed poster.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1756 on: July 30, 2014, 07:10:56 AM »
I'm having a hard time believing that anyone could offer a better deal than Radiant.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1757 on: July 30, 2014, 07:34:19 AM »
Does anyone know if there has been any discussion on more NA dates?
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1758 on: July 30, 2014, 07:51:04 AM »
I'm having a hard time believing that anyone could offer a better deal than Radiant.

:rollin

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1759 on: July 30, 2014, 10:39:18 AM »

I would think it's quite unlikely. Look at the spacing of the concerts as they are, they are racing around the globe. My guess is that this is the only time frame they could all get together and play, so they had to squeeze the tour into this ridiculously small time frame (and also delay the album by almost a year to make the tour line up with the release).
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1760 on: July 30, 2014, 10:44:32 AM »
Really surprised they are playing the Philly area (Keswick) instead of NYC. Saw TA at that venue and loved it, and am looking forward to FC there.

It's not a bad venue, but it's kinda buttf*ck nowhere. Especially when compared to Time Square.

Offline bobs23

• human mic stand
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1761 on: July 30, 2014, 10:45:10 AM »

I would think it's quite unlikely. Look at the spacing of the concerts as they are, they are racing around the globe. My guess is that this is the only time frame they could all get together and play, so they had to squeeze the tour into this ridiculously small time frame (and also delay the album by almost a year to make the tour line up with the release).

THIS^

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1762 on: July 30, 2014, 11:07:00 AM »
I agree. Just wishful thinking on my part, I suppose. I would have loved to see them but with the closest being an 8 hour drive to Philly I'll just have sit this one out.

Offline emtee

« Reply #1763 on: July 30, 2014, 11:11:04 AM »
They had to work in the little time they could with Morse's Deep Purple commitments taking the bulk of his time.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1764 on: July 30, 2014, 11:22:02 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IDyGrc1Z8k Album trailer

Question: Under Bill Evan's name it says "founder". What's that about? I thought this was another project started by Morse and Portnoy. How much of a hand does he have in the writing and stuff?
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1765 on: July 30, 2014, 11:29:52 AM »
Sounds great!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1766 on: July 30, 2014, 11:30:08 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IDyGrc1Z8k Album trailer

Question: Under Bill Evan's name it says "founder". What's that about? I thought this was another project started by Morse and Portnoy. How much of a hand does he have in the writing and stuff?

According to Wikipedia:
"The formation of the band started with the idea of having virtuoso musicians and a pop singer joining together to make new-fashioned music the old fashioned way. The idea was brought in 2008 by executive producer Bill Evans and the record was done with the help of music producer Peter Collins. Intrigued by the idea, and the prospect of working together, the musicians signed on to form a band and record a full-length album."

And from the Flying Colors website:
"In 2008, executive producer Bill Evans began putting the idea into action. It needed exactly the right musicians. In addition to be being extraordinary players and writers, they would need to be a natural creative fit, complementing each others’ abilities. There would be proven chemistry from past collaborations, but the new band would be different from anything they’d done. The world didn’t need another supergroup."
"Evans drew up a short list of four musicians and a producer: Mike Portnoy, Dave LaRue, Steve Morse, Neal Morse and (producer) Peter Collins. Each artist was renowned in his domain. Drawing from rock, metal, prog, jazz-fusion, they had the potential to fuse their diverse styles into a unique, cohesive sound."
"Attention then turned to finding a pop singer who could channel their combined musicality into an accessible mainstream form. Evans and Collins reviewed over 100 top contemporary singers, but no one felt exactly right. As desperation began to set in, Mike Portnoy casually mentioned, “I know a guy.” That guy turned out to be a new signing to the Hollywood/Disney label: singer/songwriter Casey McPherson."
"An initial conversation between Evans and Casey revealed that the singer had always wanted to do a project like Flying Colors. It quickly became obvious that Casey wasn’t just right for the band—he was perfect."

Seems like the whole idea was Bill Evans', and he had a fairly easy time contacting the initial four. Of course, Neal and Mike have worked for a very long time together, and Steve had then-recently worked with Neal for a solo on Testimony 2. I'm assuming with Steve on board, getting Dave was no issue. And then Mike brought in Casey. The rest is history.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1767 on: July 30, 2014, 11:38:13 AM »
Very interesting, had no idea it was formed that way.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1768 on: July 30, 2014, 11:42:02 AM »

It's not a bad venue, but it's kinda buttf*ck nowhere. Especially when compared to Time Square.

Um, that first sentence is just wrong. Yes, compared to Time Square it's not as big, but it's a major Philly suburb, surrounded by other large suburbs, with a Philly metro station and about five minutes off the PA turnpike. My surprise simply comes because NYC is the largest east coast metro area, and by default if a band plays one show in the East that's almost always where it is. I'm thinking it's likely that TA just created a great relationship on their run through there and so the people wanted to work together again for FC.

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #1769 on: July 30, 2014, 12:41:01 PM »

So wait this is a joke right?

One comes with a signed poster for the first 200 pre-orders,
One comes with a poster (not signed I guess), a DVD, and bonus tracks with every purchase.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1770 on: July 30, 2014, 12:42:38 PM »

So wait this is a joke right?

One comes with a signed poster for the first 200 pre-orders,and bonus tracks for every order
One comes with a poster (not signed I guess), a DVD, and bonus tracks with every purchase.

He was joking of course. Radiant doesn't often have 'the best deal' except their clearance section is nice on occasion.

Also FTFY

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #1771 on: July 30, 2014, 01:45:23 PM »
Oh ok cool.

Radiant- CD (or whatever format), bonus tracks, signed poster for first 200 pre-orders (which I think is gone)
Mascot- CD (or wahtever format), bonus tracks, un-signed poster, DVD

I ordered Mascot. CD, poster, and DVD for $17 including shipping is not bad!

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1772 on: July 30, 2014, 04:42:34 PM »
Will probably go to the London show. Quite expensive though.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1773 on: July 30, 2014, 05:18:16 PM »
Quote from: Nick link=topic=18702insg1839578#msg1839578 date=1406696339

Um, that first sentence is just wrong. Yes, compared to Time Square it's not as big, but it's a major Philly suburb, surrounded by other large suburbs, with a Philly metro station and about five minutes off the PA turnpike. My surprise simply comes because NYC is the largest east coast metro area, and by default if a band plays one show in the East that's almost always where it is. I'm thinking it's likely that TA just created a great relationship on their run through there and so the people wanted to work together again for FC.

That's all fair, I'm just saying this with the backdrop of Philly already not being a main hub of the East Coast, and then it's another solid drive from there. So, if you're in the New York or DC area, this venue is not bad. If you're from New England, it's essentially a no-go.
Then again, especially Neal Morse has historically made a wide berth around New England, so this is not all that surprising.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 05:23:19 PM by rumborak »

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1774 on: August 01, 2014, 09:13:20 PM »
Quote from: Nick link=topic=18702insg1839578#msg1839578 date=1406696339

That's all fair, I'm just saying this with the backdrop of Philly already not being a main hub of the East Coast, and then it's another solid drive from there. So, if you're in the New York or DC area, this venue is not bad. If you're from New England, it's essentially a no-go.
Then again, especially Neal Morse has historically made a wide berth around New England, so this is not all that surprising.

Must be the witches! Ha Ha!

We in the US should be lucky to get anything at all. The market is clearly overseas for this kind of thing.

The Keswick is actually a very friendly venue for the kind of music many of us like here and scoring a Saturday night gig is probably a gift for those that will travel.  I'm not saying you should or shouldn't , but it's a favorable travel date.

Getting a Saturday night gig in New York for a band such as this was probably borderline impossible on fairly short notice is my guess.

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #1775 on: August 02, 2014, 08:16:31 AM »
Tickets for LA just went on sale https://calprog.com

I'm seeing Flying Colors in a 502-seat venue  :metal  :omg:

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1776 on: August 02, 2014, 11:13:20 AM »
The Keswick is actually a very friendly venue for the kind of music many of us like here and scoring a Saturday night gig is probably a gift for those that will travel.  I'm not saying you should or shouldn't , but it's a favorable travel date.

I see what you are saying, but I won't drive for 5 hours (in good traffic) or fly for 2 hours and drive another, for an album I yet have to hear. When they played in NYC the album had been out for a good amount so I knew my trip would be worth it. This is just too much of a gamble.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #1777 on: August 05, 2014, 06:57:05 AM »
"Mask Machine" is now available on Spotify!

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1778 on: August 05, 2014, 08:01:16 AM »
I really enjoyed that! My expectations for the album continue to rise!

I'd say this track definitely has that element of 'pop glory' that I think Rumborak mentioned a little while back. I'm not much of a dancer, but if I was this would be on the playlist  :laugh:

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1779 on: August 05, 2014, 08:22:34 AM »
That was not a bad tune at all actually.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #1780 on: August 05, 2014, 08:48:02 AM »
It doesn't show up in my Spotify :( Maybe it's different for different countries?

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #1781 on: August 05, 2014, 08:48:52 AM »
It doesn't show up in my Spotify :( Maybe it's different for different countries?

Where are ya?

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1782 on: August 05, 2014, 08:49:49 AM »
 Listening now.. squeeeeee

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1783 on: August 05, 2014, 08:49:49 AM »